WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2019

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    So I am disappointed with myself. Most of the pictures taken of me at my son's I looked hideous. I need to get my act together! I shall get my journal out and log, weigh, measure good intake the old fashioned way.
    💖Rebecca

First of all you did NOT look hideous. I loved the pictures of you loving on your grandbaby. Perhaps try cutting carbs a bit and upping protein if possible. Lots of water. You're already exercising. Of course you're the only one that knows what works for you. You've got this girlfriend. Biggest Big Hug!!

Janetr OKC
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,179 Member
    Options
    Recipe Sites:

Skinnytaste: https://www.skinnytaste.com/

Slender Kitchen: https://www.slenderkitchen.com/

Emily Bites: https://emilybites.com/

Cooking Light: https://www.cookinglight.com/

Eating Well: http://www.eatingwell.com/
    Eating Well's low cal pasta dishes: http://www.eatingwell.com/recipes/20105/low-calorie/main-dish/pasta/

I've found that these have some good low-cal options. :)

Machka in Oz
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @Machka9 did you say you had been to La Rochelle ? was that the west coast of France you loved? I have hardly been to Switzerland. good you have decent rent. my rent is super low but I know the landlady is gonna sell in 3 years. thanks for the recipe sites!
  • bananasandoranges
    edited July 2019
    Options
    July Goals
    morning

Health
    1. Write what I'm grateful for here daily
    2. At least 30 min exercise 6 days a week✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️✔️
    3.Track all ✔️
    4. Five minutes meditation 5 days a week 2/5
    5. Average 1100 calories net
    6. Lose 1-2 kilos not yet
    7. Take measurements every 2 weeks (?) not yet
    8. Go to free coaching session not yet
    9. Try one class per week at gym (I had signed up-annual sign up- for the 7 euros a month extra for classes and havent gone since the "zen" stretching classes weren't great.) Try different classes. ✔️
    10. Use city bike 1x a week (I also signed up many months ago at about 3-4 euros per month, there was no bike free the first time I wanted to use it and I had completely forgotten about it, it's not in my habits). not yet
    11. eat fresh leafy greens 4 days a week two days
    12. try skipping breakfast ✔️✔️✔️
    13. less than 50 carbs :no 62 and 102, which is better than previous average of about 170 per day!

Long term writing
    14. Spend at least 2h/day on long term writing project average one day so far
    15. Produce at least 3 rough pages per day average no

Home
    14. Average at least 15 min/day of cleaning not yet today

Paper
    15. Make a list of short term tasks, etc and prioritise them, and do them not yet
    16. Take care of at least 2 short term (1 pagish) writing or administrative task/bill per week not yet
    17. Taxes not yet
    18. 1 h per week filing not yet

Art
    19. 1 hour on art project (other than sketching) per week not yet

Work
    20. do one work-related thing per week other than the above, to progress (I have to network and take initiative etc, in my job and I haven't been doing so much since focusing on thesis ) not specifically

Remaining from May to do in July : Make appointment with dentist 1 yes, dentist 2 no and acupuncturist yes,

Grateful:
    skype when in a pinch
    datebook
    good night's sleep
    home less messy than sometimes
    green tea
    quietness on Sundays
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    I'm not sure if the Keto or the skipping breakfast is the right thing for me. I guess I'll try both for about a week and see how that goes. maybe it's too much to try both at the same time. I'm wondering if 16:8 wouldn't be better than skipping breakfast( giving more flexibility).
    yesterday I skipped breakfast but later overate. I felt stressed about something. that seems to be my recent pattern: being stressed and eating at end of day. I didn't used to be an evening eater, though I know that is a common issue for some/many.

I was probably eating too many carbs before anyway. It seems a little weird that carrots are not recommended in Keto, whereas they are generally considered very healthy and not high calorie.

I'm wondering about mostly eliminating (or greatly reducing) beans as Keto seems to encourage.

I like most protein foods and veggies, so that's good.

I had a student who missed lots of classes in fall semester so had to do a make up in the end of June. he wrote to me the night before saying he wouldn't be there that his mom was ill and he had left two days previously, that since it was a heat wave that probably suited me, and that he thought he would probably be given his credits for the overall year, by the end of year jury. (the jury decides, in looking at a year, if the student has to redo one or more classes or redo the year). he said that a teacher had told him that just missing one minor class he would have his credits for the year given by jury. it might be that a student told him that and not a teacher. in fact a few years back with another teacher, several students missed classes and then didn't go to make up exam and got there year without any problem.

we wrote to him and said he could do his make up by skype and he didn't answer. after 10 days one of the directors wrote to him to say he would be kicked out of the school if he didn't do his makeup. (He had already repeated his 1st year and one generally can't repeat it 2x).

then he finally got in touch. they said they need the grades by today so we had to do it on the weekend. I wasn't available yesterday so the only option was this morning. 1st time giving an oral test to a student on a Sunday!
    I had to spend much time setting up skype and then I had an internet problem this morning so spent much time on that. a real time suck. he's a nice kid though. I was not super friendly and was rather serious, but he's young, and it seemed crazy to let him mess up his future due to a very unwise calculation on his part.

on another subject,
    yesterday evening I was a bit stressed. I had told this senior colleague about a meditation thing. she is sometimes warm ad friendly and sincerer, and sometimes distant and seems to be calculating. she has a fair amount of sway for my situation. she then looked it up and said she would go on Saturday and wanted me to go with her. I could go so I figured it would be good to support her (she lost her mom this year and has been really sad she said). I found her to be pretty distant and a bit evasive afterwards. it was annoying to have given time to support her and then have her be her distant self.

it was so hot. I wouldn't have gone otherwise. gave me a bad feeling. hard to explain. she is so warm and friendly and supportive sometimes and distant and calculating and evasive other times...

Humans!
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    I didn't get much done this week. just pottering getting the minimum done.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @cityjaneLondon I had never heard the acronym CICO. that is my main approach too, though I tend to eat a fair bit of low fat protein, veggies and fruit.

@janetr7476 I'm so sorry you had to go though those unpleasant things when you were younger.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @Anniesquats100 I'm never able to keep up with this list. sometimes I am able to ready the past 24 or 36h but very often not. I find it frustrating but I don't know how to manage otherwise. I was previously on a thread with about 7or 8 regulars and I could take an hour or personals and reading. here, we are so numerous, I think it would take 2h to answer everyone every day.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @evie1958 like you I'm stable and not losing. (but not gaining) and am not as active as I would like to be. what a pain about the car. good that you didn't let that get to you too much and got it sorted out ok.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @Machka9 oh, yes, I think you told me before! those are lovely big empty miles and miles of beaches behind sand dunes around the Bordeaux area: quite well-protected.
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    zzzz
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Heading home this am which means loads of sitting in the car! Rachel spent yesterday visiting someone she knew from Her time abroad, was thrilled with her day. DH and I kept it low key, wandering and walking through town then an afternoon nap. Turkish lamb Kebabs for dinner, tasty.

We plan on stopping along the drive for anything that strikes our fancy. I am hoping to pick up produce from a farm stand, one of my favorite things to do to bring back something healthy and tasty for us and our neighbor who always checks on mail and lawn while we’re gone.

NYKAREN
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,179 Member
    Options
    on another subject,
    yesterday evening I was a bit stressed. I had told this senior colleague about a meditation thing. she is sometimes warm ad friendly and sincerer, and sometimes distant and seems to be calculating. she has a fair amount of sway for my situation. she then looked it up and said she would go on Saturday and wanted me to go with her. I could go so I figured it would be good to support her (she lost her mom this year and has been really sad she said). I found her to be pretty distant and a bit evasive afterwards. it was annoying to have given time to support her and then have her be her distant self.

it was so hot. I wouldn't have gone otherwise. gave me a bad feeling. hard to explain. she is so warm and friendly and supportive sometimes and distant and calculating and evasive other times...

Humans!

Sometimes meditation can cause negative side effects.

"Anxiety, fear, and an altered sense of reality were some of the examples of negative meditation experiences researchers cited"
    https://www.sciencealert.com/new-evidence-reveals-there-s-a-darker-side-of-meditation

"The surveys indicated that 25.4 percent of the participants reported experiencing unwanted effects of varying degrees of severity. These included symptoms of anxiety or panic attacks, physical pain, depersonalization, symptoms of depression, and dizziness."
    https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/324839.php

https://www.insider.com/why-meditation-can-be-bad-2018-3

After my husband's accident, I tried a little bit of meditation, and all it did was to make me feel very unsettled, anxious, and cranky.

So .... since she lost her mom, perhaps she hoped the meditation would help, but it ended up being a negative experience for her.

M in Oz
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,804 Member
    Options
    I am up and having my tea.. will watch joyce and then get dressed. after Bridal Shower today im coming home and cooking and cleaning..
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,372 Member
    Options
    I dunno. I like the word aging. Like fine wine or expensive stinky cheese, LOL!!!

I’m all for the fine wine. Not so keen on the stinky cheese! Lol!
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,372 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Machka: “And what the next 4-5 years after that will bring ... who knows!!

Who among us really knows what is ahead. We just make our plans, and cross our fingers!!! 🤞🏻
    I hear you on tracking calories when I was younger. Apps like MFP made it so much easier this time round.
    Allie: Ah! The body shaper! I found one of mine from way back a few months ago. Struggled into it, took twice as long to get it off! It went straight in the recycle/donate bag!
    Connie: So pleased to hear about your mum.
    Janet: Melting Snowman!!!😂🤪🤣😂 Me too! But it the saggy bags do seem to be slowly reducing.
    Julie: Absolutely love the Atlantic Coast of France. Spent many happy holidays there with our girls growing up. Mostly around Sable du Lonne area.
    ☘️ Terri
  • bananasandoranges
    edited July 2019
    Options
    @Machka9 you are right. at the moment she just spoke about not having been comfortable sitting, but today by mail she wrote it had been difficult for her but also good for her and that she's interested in things like that and thanked me. I had a difficult time once and had a solid practice of meditation and found it just wasn't what I needed. the advice was to do "metta meditation"( sending positive thoughts to self and others, like, "may all beings be happy, peaceful and free from needless suffering", and in a really tough time I was advised to focus on extremities (fingers and toes), I think because they are easier to focus on if one is stuck.

I had an old bf that I brought to a meditation thing. though he was interested, he found it a bit too nicey-nice at the moment, he said, but he said that it sat with him and came back to him, and then he went to a meditation place on his own later, some months or a year after.