WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2019

Options

Replies

• Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,810 Member
    Options
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    What interesting discussions here today!

Karen, I had to look up existentialism and still can't figure out what you were saying about your brain. I do the Washington Post daily crossword and am constantly having to look up the meaning of some of their clue words. I also do Pogo Scrabble online and am amazed at some of the words the players come up with.

When I was in college 50 yrs ago, there were no computers to help with spelling. In my English 101 class, the professor told us that if there were any misspelled words in our papers that we would automatically get an "F." So, I sat on the floor with a dictionary and had to look up many, many words.

Before I began teaching, I worked as a secretary for a large insurance company. I was so embarrassed when the president of the company brought a letter I had typed back to my boss because it had a commonly used word misspelled.

Today, spell check is my friend! Love it!

Carol in GA

Carol I was just playing a silly game with misspelled words and an incorrect word choice ("existentialism" instead of "existence"). It didn't actually mean anything, LOL! It was my warped way of saying "spelling is the bane of my existence". <3

Tracey Is this the cutest couple EVER? p0k2k8je3xra.png

Karen in Virginia

I may be biased but yes I think so :)
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,069 Member
    Options
    Tracey: The wedding pictures are stunning! Love the little boys with suspenders and caps. The physician assistant I saw for my foot injuries last week was wearing an orthopedic boot due to falling in a bouncy house and breaking her ankle.

NYKAREN: You inspire me to take baby steps out of my comfort zone. Just yesterday I was talking to another friend who is hosting more meals for friends at her home just to save money. She lives in NYC and the last time she took a friend out for brunch the bill came to $140. I need to start initiating inviting my neighbors over for lunch. Hold me to this.

Lisa: If you get the $100 million grant award, I will collapse with glee. Literally. :lol:

I took DH with me to Costco today. It was hot, so we splurged on a mocha smoothie and strawberry sundae. Delicious, but the lactose is doing a number on my tummy. Lesson learned. I will be eating lite tonight.

Stay well, friends. We can do this.

Rori
    Colorado Foothills

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    snowflake - I finally looked at all the wedding pictures - beautiful!
    smiles Kim
  • parkerholly68
    parkerholly68 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    NY Karen your food sounds delicious! Way to get outside your comfort zone! I'm such an introvert and really struggle to put myself out there, but I may have to steal your challenge!
  • parkerholly68
    parkerholly68 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Oh! I've posted twice and both times forgot to put my name! It's Holly.
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    Laughing out loud - really!!! at Whole Wheat Nursing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    Snowing on Mt Wellington yesterday and no doubt snowing a lot more today!

958oes264dl7.png

High tide ...

hrfx4gaq3zny.png

Machka in Oz
  • cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    megblair1 wrote: »
    All this spelling talk and Barbie's cute poem made me want to share my spell check story.

In the 80s, when home PCs were just beginning to really take off, my first husband and I took out a loan (yes it was that expensive) and bought a home computer because I was going to go to grad school. I was so proud to learn how to work it and I especially love spell check, although I am normally a good speller.

So in my very first class, we had to write a very long paper synthesizing the literature on a topic we chose. I picked holistic nursing practice. So I wrote a 28 page paper and believed in my soul it was the very best paper, ever, written by anyone. It was awesome! (I was a little excited and overboard LOL). I turned it in, pleased as punch.

The next day the professor hands it back ungraded. She said I'll give you a day to proofread and correct your spelling errors (I had told her about the computer and how proud I was of using spellcheck, so I think she knew the gig!). I took it home and re-read it. I had accepted all the spell check suggestions and now had a 28 page paper on WHOLE WHEAT nursing.

OMG I wanted to change my identity!

That's it from here. Take care. Meg from muggy Omaha

Along with my other stuff, I have a masters in public health. The very first class, our professor told us to be very careful and make sure we were writing about public health. “If you leave out the L, spellcheck won’t catch that, because it’s still a word.”

I openly admit I am a math and science nerd. My grammar stinks, and I know I screw up when to use a comma. Sorry to the English majors!!!

Connie in KY
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK <3
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    M in OZ-I’m glad you like your treadmill!I love mine,had it 6 years and actually went through 1 motor.Also burned up 1 stationary bike,but I figure I have the equipment,I’m going to use it All.Since I work 5 days a week 9-10hours on my feet (no sitting),I workout before I go in.Tonight is date night and I look forward to dressing up and feeling pretty.I hope you ladies have a Wonderful day today!😊
    Debby In Va
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and evening, all...

Connie
    - well done on the loss!

Machka - love the pics - and very cool on the treadmill. :)

Holly and all the new chums - welcome, we're glad you're here!

Lovely weekend stretching out in front of us with nothing that must be done other than the usual grocery shopping (which I'm about to go do while Corey sleeps the sleep of the justly exhausted) and mowing... My husband's flying to Palm Springs next weekend for a family reunion, and I'm at our annual conference the following weekend, so this is the last of the un-busy weekends for July, and we plan to enjoy it!

My weight at the moment seriously stinks on ice, but I'm so water-swollen that my rings are tight, so I know some of it will disappear if I just stay hydrated and stop indulging my salt craving... Since the massive laxative doses I had to take for the prep on Monday, my weight's been swinging wildly, so I know it will settle, it's just overcompensating for the dehydration that accompanied that. This too shall pass... my system's nearly at normal.

Nice to be in a headspace where a few extra pounds isn't accompanied by a deep funk, or even worse, a binge. Also, my baseline energy levels are better than they have been, now that I've been taking iron for a month. Nice to see that back, as well.

My current issue with spellcheck is that doesn't like my chief strategic officer's first name. It is "Cristy," but it always changes it to "Crusty," so I have to keep a close eye on that one. :neutral:

Off to the grocery store while there's no one there.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Saturday! I am officially on VACATION!!! I will be running out to get my shopping and errands done this morning, then home to finish getting the kids room ready. (Clean bedding is ready to be put on, just need son to wake up and get out of the bed). I don't think I am going to decorate for Christmas. Two reasons; Tim has buried my Christmas deco under bins of "stuff"; I could dig everything out, but then I thought, "if I celebrate Christmas while she is here, what would be her motivation to come home for the actual holiday?" So, for now, I am reluctantly NOT decorating for Christmas. lol That could change because I love Christmas and don't really need a good reason to celebrate it...
    Amber- Interesting dilemma with getting your JR to suck out of a straw! That is something kids usually pick up before blowing bubbles due to the ability to suck in infancy. ANYWHO...I would take it back to basics: Put the straw in the drink, hold your finger over the top of the straw to create a suction and keep the drink in the straw when you pull the straw out. Put the straw in JR's mouth, keeping your finger over the end of the straw. Have him try to "suck" the drink out of the straw. Ease up on your finger at the end and let it slowly go into his mouth as he sucks. Once he gets that sucking action, he will do it out of a cup. Sucking up spaghetti noodles is another way to get that "sucking action" activated.
    Tracey- The wedding photos are beautiful! You looked fantastic as did your daughter and her groom (and everyone else). I, too, was looking for pics of you in the bouncy house! lol
    Allie- Have fun floating and boating!
    I am loving all of the funny spelling and grammar quotes, poems, stories! My mother, despite only an eighth grade education, was a grammar and spelling nut. I grew up learning, being corrected, and using proper grammar and spelling. Both of my parents spoke using a more casual jargon; unless we were in a more formal situation (like church). They both could write lovely letters, papers, etc and their handwriting was gorgeous (especially my father's). Then a funny thing happened to me; I took three languages in high school (French, Spanish, and German) then took regular vacations to Mexico, eventually moving there for a year. After a year of really intense submersion in another language, I came home with "gaps" in my speaking and writing English. (I also had to relearn making eye contact when speaking to people; I still struggle with that) I raised my kids this way, as well. I also taught them that swearing shows a lack of self control and a lack of vocabulary. lol That is, of course, my own personal opinion. I was raised getting soap in my mouth when I used bad language, as were my kids. BUT...I really think that the reason I enjoy mowing the lawn is because it allows me the freedom to let the curses flow as I battle with Bill Clinton (I named my lawnmower, Bill Clinton; due to the amount of cord yanking that I need to do to get any action out of him).
    Well, I would love to stay and chat longer, but the morning wears on and I have a few more things to do. The kids made it to Arkansas last night (early this morning) after eight hours of driving! Joaquin stayed awake and happy the whole time (good boy). Chappie the Wonderdog even traveled well, so far. Lauren said that they did have to stop about every two hours so that she could pee, though. The problem with traveling when you are six months pregnant. They plan to leave their hotel by noon; so they probably won't get here until 7 or 8 tonight. I will talk to you all later, or tomorrow morning, as usual. Love to you all! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)