WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2019

Options

Replies

• cmsavells
    cmsavells Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    It’s been a busy two days. My mom has speech therapy Monday and a doctor’s appointment Tuesday. She is recovering well from her fall last week, but they just can’t seem to get her blood pressure regulated. Hannah has dance Tuesday night while I searched the world for Dulcolax liquid for my “mother-in-law”. Finally got to the gym and it was a relief to get some down time.

Several of you have talked about cleaning around your spouse/partner. As single/never married, it is definitely easier to keep up even with a teenager at home. Hannah is great at helping out. I do have male companions/father figures for Hannah. There are times that the second income would be fantastic, but I’m very happy on my own.

Lisa in AR - I hope the grant goes well. I wrote several grants when I was at Ohio State. Our program director and division chair do most of the grant writing at the community college where I teach. Good luck!!

Michelle - I love Sally and Grumpy. They are adorable. My daughter is going to take ceramics in school this year.

Welcome to all the newcomers. This is a fantastic group. For those newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes, send me a friend request and I’ll share my experiences.

Connie in KY
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    cmsavells wrote: »
    while I searched the world for Dulcolax liquid for my “mother-in-law”.

Several of you have talked about cleaning around your spouse/partner. As single/never married...

Connie in KY

I’m curious how you can have a mother-in-law if you’ve never been married???
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Karen: I’m so happy that your refrigerator is better! Yay! :star:

Juliestar: Welcome to a great group! :bigsmile:

DH had a physical therapy session today that has left him hurting and in bed. Poor guy! This is a good physical therapist but today’s session was more than Dh was ready to handle. I hope he’ll rest well toninght and feel better in the morning.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies~am up and had my tea , going to drop Alfie at the groomers and then go get Tal and stop and walk the dogs and feed my DFIL , then off for cut and color for me and a trim for Tal.. then we have the afternoon.. will try and maybe come back here for a bit so I can work on resume.. maybe some of the paperwork for companions and homemakers.. only thing with that there is a no compete clause and I don't know if I want to do that.. even here in Connecticut which is one of the most expensive states behind Ca. and Hawaii you only get paid 10-11 bucks an hr.. need to make a bit more than that to survive.. private pay is the way to go.. so will keep hunting..
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Fancy-I love your shepherd ❤️!
    Debby In Va
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,125 Member
    Options
    @JRsLateInLifeMom I tried the restaurant location feature, but it doesn’t seem to work where I am.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    Happy Wednesday Ladies!!

Beth - interesting timing here, you posting those photos of gals peeling off their "fat suits". For the past week I've been watching "My 600 Pound Life". I've never been anywhere near that heavy, but I am fascinated with family interaction - the enabling, the start of the binging - most often from childhood rape or sexual abuse. The mothers who did nothing about it. Or a parent who nagged and berated a chubby child who then turned to food for comfort and love.

Now I'm starting to wonder why I sometimes binge on sweets - I never thought of seeing a therapist about it, but perhaps it's high time to confront the triggers. On the show, the therapist was able to help them connect the dots. I know immediately if I've overdone it on sugar - foot pain, the feeling of coming down with the flu.

Why can't I binge on cauliflower - which I love? Hmmm....maybe I need to utilize the "flip it" below.

Beth - great news on the skin biopsy results, whew!!

KJ/Lisa/KarenNY/everyone - thank you for mentioning the "Flip It" again. I GET to do ____ vs. I HAVE to do _____. I'm putting this on my fridge, it's so pertinent to just about every aspect of my life.

Heather - I totally understand your feelings about DH being gone and when he's home, being in another room, but the comfort of knowing he's close by. And the loneliness when he's not. I know statistically I'll outlive my DH since he's 6 years older than me. Even though he's much less able to do things physically than he could 10 years ago, he's still here with me to talk to and laugh with and worry about me.

But I think it's good for spouses to have a break from each other - cleaning the house is a great example.

Kim - I don't know how you are able to have so much company, but I am thrilled that works for you. Funny - if family visits, they have to eat whatever I throw on the table. People I don't know well, like DH's relatives and friends, I work myself into a frazzle and more often than not don't even try.. "let's go out to eat"..."I'll order a pizza".

DH is going to drive himself to his annual rheumatologist appointment today. I'm not going with him, though I have in the past. I'm sure he'll make it there and back just fine as he's made the annual trip to Dr. J for about 20 years now. For him, going to a new doctor or having something worrisome going on sends him into high anxiety so I end up driving and navigating him through everything.

Janetr - that hibiscus is lovely.

Katla
    - so glad to hear Arrow is on the mend. And sorry to hear your DH is in pain from the PT.

OK, better get on the move here. Make it a great day, ladies! <3

Lanette
    Cool & rainy SW WA State
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Morning again Ladies~
    I have my DGD here and we will pick Alfie up in a bit,,, We will be going to get our hair done..
    Machka~ after 2 failed marriages I am fine living on my own and smarted up alot.. I can come and go as I please. I don't have to listen to anyone but me.. I have my dog.. and im ok with that..
    won't ever get married again
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,923 Member
    Options
    :) The drizzle today is enough to keep me away from yard work and inside doing paperwork and household chores but no deterrent to dog walking.

:) My first teaching job was on an Air Force Base in Okinawa. What a beautiful place to live. I was there for two years and in retrospect, didn't appreciate it nearly enough.

:)Katla, When my husband went to physical therapy, he would come home and tell me that the Physical Therapist should be arrested for hurting him so much. When I went to physical therapy after my spine surgery, I was in more pain than I had been after the surgery, but the long term effect was excellent.

:) We have been watching several TV series produced and set in the UK. We have had to resist the great human tendency to make generalizations about a place based on what we see on TV. However, we've seen scenery, homes, food, and people that are amazing.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Good morning my friends. Have food and workout logged, two cups of coffee with Cafe Bella protein added. Off to "wog" on the treadmill before it gets way too hot.

Love you my friends,
    Janetr OKC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Machka- lucky I miss lemon black tea. Live too far from family to get such treats from great aunt y their kids of course only 1 lives near me but men don’t carry such things!

Beth Buffalo- Sounds like poor 2yr old JRs diagnosing.Then we were told all the information they got to help told we would do better on our own trying everything out there.Well thanks glad to know that lol. So luckily I know medical stuff in 2 languages so read articles in both plus my previous knowledge created a 3cream in one mix to cover eczema y Keratosis Pilaris. Then bought Vaseline y baby balmex diaper cream they seal the creams in so he can’t get them off as easily we soak in tubs put clothes y diaper on while wet. (No rubbing or scrubbing him in the tub just a soft sponge lightly use or hand 🖐. Make sure clothes are clean to areas he touches. We also got some hydrocortisone in case a major flare up.

Terri- oh goodness hopefully they can fix that doesn’t seem fair for it not to work in 1 country but does in another.It looked like a new feature said they were still working on some android phones even. So might be something to retry later on maybe they’ll catch up.

Lanette-So true on triggers stemming from childhood some are stuck to good memories like Birthday Cake others can stem from abuse (I’ve been sexually abused before very common) . Spousal/live in Boyfriend abuse can be a trigger seen folks 300+ lbs while married to them fighting to survive.Get loose drop down to a beauty model physic! If your family had bad eating habits we tend to adopt them too until someone decides to change it for their kids y them.

Mother-in-law- easy answer there many call their child’s grandma their mother-in-law whether married,live in boyfriend for sometimes 50+ yrs (have a good friend she waited for him to propose he still hasn’t now if he asks she’ll say no he doesn’t believe in marriage she’s fine with that they have wonderful kids his family y hers have vacations to birthdays together...his parents moved in with them due to old age their in their 70’s so parents are around 90 she deserves to use the term wife to Soouce-in-laws after putting up with him even when he was deployed came back with PTSD), some like my cousin had a kid in her teens the grandma said just call me Mother-in-law even tho they never married the grandma was very involved in the babies life (good news the Daddy never was able to produce anymore kids! Karma but him in the butt for saying I don’t want a baby girl ).

Stuck on the 164-169 range can’t seem to go lower so keep on trucking until these stubborn pounds pop off! Eating healthy to excersice they’ll give way soon enough.

Amber Tx