WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2019

Options

Replies

• SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,351 Member
    Options
    Thank you Lisa! <3

I'm learning a lot about the human gastrointestinal system these day and your story is very interesting. B)

Was your bypass an open surgery or laparoscopic?

Lanette

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Lanette:
    I could see and feel the large hernia behind my belly button, it even strangulated once and was a bright purple, I had no insurance at the time to have to repaired. Neither surgeon nor I was aware of the other two, he found them when he was actually in there doing the by-pass surgery. My surgery was done laproscopicly.

As Lisa mentioned we cannot drink for 1/2 hour after eating nor while eating, I personally do NOT use a straw due to sucking in too much air. I do not drink any carbonated beverages. I have no problem drinking plain water, as in anything, we are all different. Our pouches are roughly the size of an egg and the stoma if the size of a dime. We have to take very small bites and chew everything very carefully before swallowing. Pinching is not the word I would use, as Lisa said if we don't eat slowly and carefully we can be overly full before we realize it. It is painful and miserable. Sugar and high carbs can cause "dumping syndrome", the quick spiking of blood sugar in your system, and makes you horribly sick. Mine usually passes within 20-30 minutes. The length of time this lasts varies widely among those I have talked to. I try very hard to never do that, just not worth it. I did find I'm now lactose intolerant which I was not prior to weight loss surgery. I think all of this sounds worse then perhaps it actually is, just becomes a way of eating now. I'd have the surgery again in a heartbeat.

Janetr OKC
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,051 Member
    Options
    Grr. I hate doctors. Saw a family practice Dr for my hip today hoping for a script for physical therapy. He just sent me to another doctor instead. Whine!
  • SophieRosieMom
    Options
    janetr7476 wrote: »
    Lanette:
    I could see and feel the large hernia behind my belly button, it even strangulated once and was a bright purple, I had no insurance at the time to have to repaired. Neither surgeon nor I was aware of the other two, he found them when he was actually in there doing the by-pass surgery. My surgery was done laproscopicly.
    As Lisa mentioned we cannot drink for 1/2 hour after eating nor while eating, I personally do NOT use a straw due to sucking in too much air. I do not drink any carbonated beverages. I have no problem drinking plain water, as in anything, we are all different. Our pouches are roughly the size of an egg and the stoma if the size of a dime. We have to take very small bites and chew everything very carefully before swallowing. Pinching is not the word I would use, as Lisa said if we don't eat slowly and carefully we can be overly full before we realize it. It is painful and miserable. Sugar and high carbs can cause "dumping syndrome", the quick spiking of blood sugar in your system, and makes you horribly sick. Mine usually passes within 20-30 minutes. The length of time this lasts varies widely among those I have talked to. I try very hard to never do that, just not worth it. I did find I'm now lactose intolerant which I was not prior to weight loss surgery. I think all of this sounds worse then perhaps it actually is, just becomes a way of eating now. I'd have the surgery again in a heartbeat.
    Janetr OKC

Janetr - Thank you so much for your input. <3

Lanette
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    kelly hope you post some Joaquin pics and the visit is going well.

Beth so glad the diagnosis wasn't lupus <3

Heat wave is officially starting so we'll be staying indoors quite a bit, now that my class is over (yippee) I will get to work on some painting projects and decluttering.

NYKAREN
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,233 Member
    Options
    Amber - So sorry you went through all that. What love you have shown to your daughter! <3<3<3 A testimony to the power of love.

Heather UK xxxxxxx
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Heather UK - Thanks . Not a surprise my Daughter does not want kids if her own tho. career Woman who will marry later on maybe she said maybe adopt a male teenager as her son. I say great plan I fought for her to have a life of her choosing now she can choose. My truck with HR is I let him destroy the house then clean up 30min-1 hour before bed lol looks like a show room until he wakes up then wheeeeeee he runs in to throw pillows in the air crumble his treats in his hand to pick out the blueberry from the morning muffins lol. Sure folks visiting think I never clean after up him lol unless they come early enough.
    Real Life never mirrors Hollywood’s fake versions.They have good ,bad,y the ugly all mixed in. Learning to be happy 😊 after all is said y done that makes the life worth wile. I find happiness in small things that helps me.I don’t need big things just small things like dew drops on a rose pedal my days set to be chipper. Plus having an unbreakable smile y happiness pissed the tar out of the abusers lol.

Amber Tx
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Amber-❤️❤️❤️,to be as strong as you...
    Debby In Va
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Amber TX, Thankfully things have come a long way. I don't eat carbs intentionally such as bread, pasta, rice, quinoa etc. Of course most vegetables and other foods contain carbs. I do eat poultry, fish, beef, pork, legumes all protein. I eat very well and don't feel deprived. When eating out all restaurants offer something suitable to follow my diet.

Janetr OKC
  • SophieRosieMom
    Options
    Amber - thank you for sharing your story! I agree with Heather, it is a testimony to the power of love! <3

Regarding the scar tissue from surgery, I actually had some type of "deep tissue" massage on my abdomen once which I think kind of released part of it and made it better for a while. I agree, it's quite painful and limiting. So that's kind of like what your doc said about exercise I reckon. Hope it gets better with time.

One of the "600 pound life" episodes I watched told of a gal who had her stomach stapled when she was in her teens, she must have eaten too much or there was leakage for some reason - like your friend, not good and she had to have an operation to seal the hole.

I think I tend to hoard food as well.... was raised by parents who went through the Great Depression so having the freezer and pantry super full was normal. I aim to remember to go thru the pantry and donate extra food not past the pull date to the food bank.

Lanette
    SW WA State

• SophieRosieMom
    Options
    Lisa - fascinating! So this was a complication from the gall bladder surgery? Or the GBS or both?

I recently read about a new "organ" medical researchers added - the mesentery... a membrane that holds up the intestines and keeps them in place. Is that the tissue you were talking about that had the hole?

I had 2 laparoscopic surgeries within 6 months, the belly button got pierced (and I don't mean with rings and jewels) both times. :s

Thinking about it is giving me the creeps, lol.

Glad there was a sharp surgeon there to get you fixed up. B) You and Janetr both rock! Big step but it has made your life so much better in many ways.

Lanette
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,121 Member
    Options
    Three of my relatives just had GBS. My 5‘1“ sister was 310 pounds. Within a year she is now down to 115 pounds almost 200 pounds loss. Amazingly she does not have any loose skin!! Her daughter also had it this year. She lost weight prior to the surgery and followed all orders on changing her eating habits and is doing quite well. My nephews wife however never changed her eating habits and lost very little weight and now the doctor calls it a failure!
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,563 Member
    Options
    Ll
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,905 Member
    Options
    cqk6c8upg7bw.png

Gorgeous weather!
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,633 Member
    Options