Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Fat Shaming Plates or Political Correctness Run Amok?

123457»

Replies

• Lilt2511
    Lilt2511 Posts: 9 Member
    Kathryn247 wrote: »
    I wouldn't call it fat shaming, but I think it's a bad image for people who are already prone to undereating. You can have a whole plate of food and still wear skinny jeans - you don't have to - and shouldn't - starve yourself.

This is the way I interpreted the plate. It's unhealthy for people with an already unhealthy way of looking at their food portions, specifically the skinny jeans portion. But offensive? No, I'm not getting that from it.
  • unstableunicorn
    unstableunicorn Posts: 216 Member
    The plate and the outrage are equally stupid. Someone had a cheeky idea with an unrealistic understanding of portions. That’s all.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    The plate and the outrage are equally stupid. Someone had a cheeky idea with an unrealistic understanding of portions. That’s all.

As is evidenced by this thread, people can be outraged about anything.
  • aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    edited August 2019
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »

..... pretty much

imho ~ it's a relative thing.

The better one's living conditions, the easier it is to be concerned with minutia.
    It's a mix of that and how much it affects you and your everyday life. There are things that I will and have gone to my state's capital to lobby about. That, for better or worse, is a fairly small list of things. There are other things that I'll push hard against, but again, that's a bit different because when I push against those things it involves actually trying to change some sort of organizational policy.

And then there are things like the flagrant disregard of the rules of the river that one small watercraft organization has. That, is something I will just be pissed off about but likely won't actually try to do anything about.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,493 Member
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    aokoye wrote: »

..... pretty much

imho ~ it's a relative thing.

The better one's living conditions, the easier it is to be concerned with minutia.

Also known as: #firstworldproblems

;)

giphy.gif
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    heybales wrote: »
    I'm sure the marketing firm that came up with this and presented it did some field survey's - did they use Macy's customers though?

If so, and found acceptable, and found willing enough to purchase (if that's the case, what does it say about Macy's customers?) - it would be interesting to have seen the meetings where it was presented and obviously enough of those that saw it, or the right people, let it fly.

Also be interesting to see the fallout from this now internally. Marketing firm only winner? Or maybe never used again so perhaps not. Project people and managers that gave approval?

How high up do these things go now, or part of the attitude change of letting teams doing risky stuff to be more creative. If allowed, what happens to those people/teams now?

And I'd agree with several of the comments - not a bad idea regarding portion control, but poor way to get there.

Lol, as a former marketing agency drone, I must say, you're giving them way too much credit by thinking they did field surveys and whatnot. It's pretty much standard operating procedure to see just how out there a marketing gimmick can get and still get away with it.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,420 Member
    I think it's *kitten* that you'd never see these kind of plates geared towards men. Do they have Dad Jeans plates?

I would guess 99.99999% of these plates are purchased by females. I have never seen an adilt male eating off a plate with wtiting on it.
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,591 Member
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    Carlos_421 wrote: »
    I see these as plates a millenial woman would buy so she and her friends could fill them up with
    avocado salad and go, "Oh, I am so bad. So so bad. Hehe!! I'm gonna get so fat but I don't care because YUM!! Hehe!! Mom jeans here I come! LAWL!!"

maxresdefault.jpg

And by "millenial woman," I mean my wife.
    My wife would do this. Lol

@Carlos_421 will she get you a plate for your Oreos?
    (trick question: you're supposed to eat them right out of the box)
  • tbright1965
    tbright1965 Posts: 852 Member
    I think the same folks who did the What the Forecast app did one called Back Seat Navigator or something. It did just that, it insulted you if you didn't follow the directions.

Mostly just an overuse of the f-bomb on the first go around. I removed it as I wasn't impressed.

I did try Cookie Monster as my Waze voice for a while, but that too got old.
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    jfdi6960 wrote: »

Does anyone else read this in an Australian accent?

I could do without the outer border, but find the rest of it funny (though to be fair, I'd find it get old pretty quickly, but good for a short chuckle). Much better executed than the "mom jeans" plate, for sure.

I love that plate, lol. I was picturing a Gordon Ramsey type british Accent. I'm the type that finds insults funny though. I would find an evil version of MFP that calls me (funny) names such as on that plate when I blow my calories for the day both amusing and useful, lol.

I always thought it could be funny to have an insulting mode on my car GPS - one that calls you names or gripes when it tells you turn and you don't, and maybe even whines and refuses to talk to you if you miss a certain number of turns in a row......