August 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• autumnblade75
    autumnblade75 Posts: 1,660 Member
    Options
    8 miles, today. I tried to see if I could find my max heart rate in the last 2 miles, but my Fitbit didn't register above 178, and I know that's not as high as it gets. I might have been picking up the cadence, instead. I might need to try buckling it tighter. I don't have many notches to play with. Even with running the first 6 at 11 minutes per mile, and picking up another minute and a half over the last 2 miles, Fitbit decided that my effort was 82% cardio. (That kind of makes sense, if I didn't cross the threshold until some time in those last 2 miles...)

exercise.png
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    shanaber wrote: »
    A question for the group - does anyone else have a hard time getting a good deep breath when running and how do you manage it? I think today it was related to the humidity but it made the first few miles horrible. I don't recall having this issue before and nothing seemed to help

i have that issue especially when it is humid. i concentrate breathe in 1-2-3, breathe out 1-2-3.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    shanaber wrote: »
    A question for the group - does anyone else have a hard time getting a good deep breath when running and how do you manage it? I think today it was related to the humidity but it made the first few miles horrible. I don't recall having this issue before and nothing seemed to help

i have that issue especially when it is humid. i concentrate breathe in 1-2-3, breathe out 1-2-3.

I search for oxygen as well when it's hot and humid. My standard training breathing is two strides breathe in, two strides breathe out. Race breathing is two strides breathe in, one stride breathe out.
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    8/1 - 0
    8/2 - 0
    8/3 - 10
    8/4 - 2
    8/5 - 0
    8/6 - 0
    8/7 - 3

15 of 80 miles

zeesparrow wrote: »
    I intended to do 3 miles this morning. The run was abruptly ended after 1.2. I knew I can't run as fast as my dogs, but we proved it this morning.

There were 2 deer on the other side of a chain-link fence. I saw them a split second before the dogs but didn't stop running in time. I should have immediately released my hands-free belt when they started to chase but that didn't even cross my mind. So now I have gravel abrasions from my shoulder to my index finger on my right side, from my belly button down (gravel in my shorts!) and on both knees. Oh, and on my nose where my glasses sit. I wasn't wearing glasses at the time so I'm not sure how that happened. I'm grateful I wasn't hurt worse.

Now I don't know what I'm going to do this weekend.

That sounds horrible - I hope you heal up soon.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,394 Member
    Options
    Thanks @mbaker566 and @Tramboman for the breathing suggestions. I am sure the humidity played a big part but I will give some stretches a try as well as suggested by @ContraryMaryMary. I did try some basic standing stretches (arms over head and leaning from side to side) but they didn't seem to help much. I don't think my back or shoulders are especially tense, certainly not like they used to be when I was working :)
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    I ran last night after teaching aerial yoga. the plan called for 2 but i'm 4 in the hole from missing 1 of 2 long runs from the weekend. I didn't take the dogs. I wanted to get it done but i also wanted to go at a comfy pace. Joy and Speed Demon have a hard time to taking it slow. It was hot, and humid. There was a breeze but more often than not, the air was still and thick. Heat lightning to the north and west. It went well. I tried to think about continuing the motion of my leg/foot all the way thru. People have said it here and in the form workshop I took last year emphasized it too. I tried to use both legs equally. Leaning forward always feels weird. When i run with the dogs, i need to lean back a bit. If they get too interested in something, i go donkey and dig in my heels and lean back. so far so good. no @zeesparrow falls yet.

HAHAHAHA! I totally get it. I love running with my dogs, but it certainly does make it challenging to lean forward. But now that you mention it, I probably wasn't leaning back yesterday. Another lesson learned the hard way!