August 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• luciebrucie
    luciebrucie Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    zeesparrow- Go for it! Wear the T with pride, knowing you put in all the hard work!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @zeesparrow I agreed with @shanaber, wear the shirt. I suppose it may be taboo to some, but if you paid for it, you're a supporter, you can wear the shirt. I have no qualms wearing race shirts I didn't run, especially the cheap ones, free or purchased a year after the event!

ETA rock star running badges there! Ouch!

It definitely is taboo to some, as is wearing the shirt in the race. I have seen people warn about that. Some feel that you did not earn it until you finished. I am pretty sure this is only a tiny fraction of runners. There are complainers in all crowds it seems.

But I agree with all the peeps in this thread. Wear it if you want to. It is your shirt, you paid for it. :) If someone is bothered by it, that is their problem, not yours :)
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @zeesparrow I agreed with @shanaber, wear the shirt. I suppose it may be taboo to some, but if you paid for it, you're a supporter, you can wear the shirt. I have no qualms wearing race shirts I didn't run, especially the cheap ones, free or purchased a year after the event!

ETA rock star running badges there! Ouch!

It definitely is taboo to some, as is wearing the shirt in the race. I have seen people warn about that. Some feel that you did not earn it until you finished. I am pretty sure this is only a tiny fraction of runners. There are complainers in all crowds it seems.

But I agree with all the peeps in this thread. Wear it if you want to. It is your shirt, you paid for it. :) If someone is bothered by it, that is their problem, not yours :)

Yes, though wearing the shirt in the race violates the "nothing new on race day" rule and makes me cringe for that reason. But to each their own...
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart @luciebrucie @shanaber @Elise4270 @PastorVincent @T1DCarnivoreRunner Thanks all. As I said, I would probably wear it anyway ( I trained for this dangit ) but was curious what others thought.

A former coworker not only didn't like the idea of wearing the shirt during the race (even short races or fun runs) but he didn't want to see what they looked like until he was done. Nice to hear that might be more of a minority.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    zeesparrow wrote: »
    I'm still undecided about the race on Sunday. I have until 4pm today to cancel hotel reservations. The skin on my knees still hurts when it stretches, though it's better. My shower didn't hurt this morning, and I can "run" up/down the stairs. We could change to a 5k/10k at packet pickup if we go, which is probably the sensible choice. Or staying home entirely. The real question is, am I sensible?

Scrapes and bruises (which are admittedly difficult to see in the pictures) which I took last night are under the spoiler if anyone's interested.
    hze3f7ky41c6.jpg
    Everything is shiny from the triple antibiotic ointment I had just applied. I have bruises on the right side of both knees, my right palm, almost the entire right forearm and a doozy near my right shoulder.
    udrz7km4bqjz.jpg

Edit: I talked with my husband after posting, and thought about it on my way to work. I think we'll go, but not run. We can still participate by cheering on everyone else who has put in the training for this race, visit with family and have a fun weekend away from home.

Is it bad form to pick up the packet and wear the race shirt if you don't run? I probably will either way, but I'm curious what others think.

That hurts just looking at it!
    As for the shirt - yes, go for it! You paid for it, and are there participating by supporting the other runners.
    Not running and picking up a medal, though, is a big no-no.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    zeesparrow wrote: »
    I'm still undecided about the race on Sunday. I have until 4pm today to cancel hotel reservations. The skin on my knees still hurts when it stretches, though it's better. My shower didn't hurt this morning, and I can "run" up/down the stairs. We could change to a 5k/10k at packet pickup if we go, which is probably the sensible choice. Or staying home entirely. The real question is, am I sensible?

Scrapes and bruises (which are admittedly difficult to see in the pictures) which I took last night are under the spoiler if anyone's interested.
    hze3f7ky41c6.jpg
    Everything is shiny from the triple antibiotic ointment I had just applied. I have bruises on the right side of both knees, my right palm, almost the entire right forearm and a doozy near my right shoulder.
    udrz7km4bqjz.jpg

Edit: I talked with my husband after posting, and thought about it on my way to work. I think we'll go, but not run. We can still participate by cheering on everyone else who has put in the training for this race, visit with family and have a fun weekend away from home.

Is it bad form to pick up the packet and wear the race shirt if you don't run? I probably will either way, but I'm curious what others think.

That hurts just looking at it!
    As for the shirt - yes, go for it! You paid for it, and are there participating by supporting the other runners.
    Not running and picking up a medal, though, is a big no-no.

Oh, definitely. The medal is earned, the shirt is bought, IMO and YMMV and etc.
  • zeesparrow
    zeesparrow Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah absolutely. That's a finisher's medal. I wouldn't dream of even trying to get one of those without doing the race!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Fleet Fleet Liberty Mile tonight! The weather right now is predicted to be as good as it gets for August. Mid 70s, low dew point, and low humidity.

I have no chance of placing, but my 6:53 time from the last time I ran this will be my goal to beat. I did not train specifically for this short race, so I will just have to see as I go how it is.

I am in the "Masters" heat which has an 8 min cut off. So at least I will not have any walkers or children to deal with.

Other than, you know, actually training, seems like a prime set up for a fast run.

In HS I ran a 5 min mile... that probably is long long gone now, but maybe 6:30? :) I have no idea! I will know in like few hours though! :D

Good luck!!!
    Just run your best, and maybe adrenaline will bring you a surprise.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    @PastorVincent Look at you go! Great finishing photo, you look like you’re really booking! Congrats on a well handled race!