WHY do people CHEAT?

Options

Replies

• KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    Across a large population, one can chart "the number of sexual partners you've had" as a bell curve. The long tails of the bell curve include 1 and 10,000 or more. I'm aware that for every individual with 2 or more, the reason differs slightly and the billions of slightly different reasons defy our efforts to give a simple answer.

"More than one, smaller than a ballpark". :laugh:

Sorry, was reminded of an episode of Friends in which the above was mentioned.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Speaking of cheating. I'm re-reading a history book about the golden age of Greece. In the discussion of Alcibiades, it mentions his infidelity to ravish the wife of the king. Her indiscrete telling that the child was his so tormented Alcibiades' wife that she sued for divorce. He responded by professing publicly his love for his wife, she relented, and history records little other than that she died of a broken heart.

It's human to want fidelity. It's human to fail at it. For me, with 1 sexual partner, the humanness of it is no excuse.
  • nooshi713
    nooshi713 Posts: 4,877 Member
    Options
    @nooshi713 wrote: »
    LyndaBSS wrote: »
    I think cheating on your partner makes you the lowest form of pond scum on earth, especially when you use the old "it just happened" excuse.

If you're not happy with your partner, put on your damn big girl or big guy panties and tell them. Either fix things or end them.

For those guilty parties, remember this. If they'll cheat with you, they'll cheat on you.

Agreed. I think there are many reasons people cheat but all selfish and never justified.

I have been cheated on and it was the worst experience of my life. I don’t forgive either.

Just a hug because you're beautiful, didn't deserve it and it wasn't about you...it was on them....AND you are 100% better off right!!🤷🤘😉🤗💗💗💗💗 see it as a win pretty girl!😍

Thank you. So sweet. 🤗
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    sr2587 wrote: »
    I was cheated on and didn’t find out until a few years later... I did my best to forgive, but I think the hurt will always be there. Not sure why she did it but she placed a lot of blame on me, and I think I carry that around still...☹️. It truly sucks!

If it was 100% your fault. If you beat her every day, 3 times a day. If you treated her like crap 24/365.
    She still had choices.
    The decision to end the relationship may have been mutual.
    But of all the things she might have done, she was the one who made that PARTICULAR choice.
    It had nothing at all to do with you, it was all her.
    The relationship ending— if that was partially your fault, own up to it.

• Diatonic12
    Diatonic12 Posts: 32,344 Member
    Options
    Because they can but it's costly. Divorce. Alimony. Child Support. Insurance. The house, vehicles, boats, SUV's and all of the rest of it.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    Options
    accavallo wrote: »
    I’m curious how many friend requests the women who mentioned open marriage got when they hit “post reply.” Lol. Cheating is ultimately an argument about honesty not sexual ethics. Unless of course you’re not honest about your sexual ethics.

Honestly, I have a feeling I'll lose friends because I'm choosing to be open and honest about my experiences, especially because others in this thread have been hurt and they see "my type" as scum.

Their opinions and they are perfectly allowed to have them, I just have a feeling I'll get less friends requests and more deletes than anything, but ah well.

Fwiw - I don't see anyone here as "scum." Good people can make bad decisions. Your business is your own, and I'm not here to judge anyone's choices. This thread has been both enlightening and triggering, but I don't frown upon anyone here...nobody here has directly hurt me. And if your so called "friends" delete you, they weren't friends to begin with. Take it for what it's worth, it's the internet. 💛

gracious
  • KosmosKitten
    Options
    I’m curious how many friend requests the women who mentioned open marriage got when they hit “post reply.” Lol. Cheating is ultimately an argument about honesty not sexual ethics. Unless of course you’re not honest about your sexual ethics.

Honestly, I have a feeling I'll lose friends because I'm choosing to be open and honest about my experiences, especially because others in this thread have been hurt and they see "my type" as scum.

Their opinions and they are perfectly allowed to have them, I just have a feeling I'll get less friends requests and more deletes than anything, but ah well.

Fwiw - I don't see anyone here as "scum." Good people can make bad decisions. Your business is your own, and I'm not here to judge anyone's choices. This thread has been both enlightening and triggering, but I don't frown upon anyone here...nobody here has directly hurt me. And if your so called "friends" delete you, they weren't friends to begin with. Take it for what it's worth, it's the internet. 💛

I wasn't referring to anyone specifically (here). I was, however, recalling words I've been called for other things that had absolutely nothing to do with infidelity.

Because nothing charges my self-worth like being told that a person will "never be clean no matter how many times he washes because of how dirty I make him feel".. funny thing is, I did absolutely nothing wrong in that one case. I was innocent and still got flayed alive for being on the up-an-up. Funny how life works, eh?

I will apologize if anything I've said here has triggered anyone. Definitely not my intent. Not really into digging wounds and making them deeper.
  • heyjude0225
    heyjude0225 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    My ex wife told me that men cheat because they are *kitten* and women cheat because men are *kitten*.

She seemed to enjoy other *kitten* :D
  • heyjude0225
    heyjude0225 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    Wow... that reads so wrong when MFP censored lol
  • KosmosKitten
    Options

I wasn't referring to anyone specifically (here). I was, however, recalling words I've been called for other things that had absolutely nothing to do with infidelity.

Because nothing charges my self-worth like being told that a person will "never be clean no matter how many times he washes because of how dirty I make him feel".. funny thing is, I did absolutely nothing wrong in that one case. I was innocent and still got flayed alive for being on the up-an-up. Funny how life works, eh?

I will apologize if anything I've said here has triggered anyone. Definitely not my intent. Not really into digging wounds and making them deeper.

No apologies necessary, we're just expressing here. I'm sorry for your pain.

Nah. It's ancient history, but I've been reminiscing a lot about past events as a sort of spiritual growth. Things I couldn't learn then because I was emotionally invested I can now evaluate without the attachment I once had and my hopes are that I can learn something meaningful from the experiences, particularly bad/less-than-great ones.

Because you know, human growth is generally a good thing. :p