Replies

• your_future_ex_wife
    your_future_ex_wife Posts: 4,278 Member
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Derpes wrote: »
    Many people say it’s better to leave a relationship than to cheat - To leave before it happens. It’s a relatively new idea that divorce is preferable to cheating. I’m not offering an opinion here one way or another because I haven’t formed one yet. And I’m not sure I’d share my personal beliefs on the subject even if I had.

Here is an interesting article. It touches on a few related points. If anyone reads more than 280 characters anymore, it’s got some food for thought.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/oct/13/a-strong-libido-and-bored-by-monogamy-the-truth-about-women-and-sex

The following excerpt from the article is unsettling:

"Another element in the mix, she says, was the finding that a third of women who are having an extramarital relationship say their marriage or long-term partnership is happy or very happy. “So we need to understand that women aren’t just seeking variety because they’re unhappy, they’re seeking it because they need variety and novelty,” she says."

how so?

I should have provided context.

We usually think of the road to infidelity in terms of unmet needs, unhappiness, or worse. In this case, things are going well and the marriage is "happy", yet infidelity still occurs. In short, it is the opposite of what is expected.
    ok, i see what you mean. i interpreted that excerpt to mean happy with everything except the lack of variety. I don’t know if I’m right about that though.

I do think however, that the author of the book seems to be saying that it is possible for some people to meet the need for novelty and variety within the boundaries of a faithful, monogamous relationship.

Makes sense, and it okay if all parties are consenting and aware.
    it is possible for some people to meet the need for novelty and variety within the boundaries of a faithful, monogamous relationship.
    just wanted to highlight that bolded part because I think it’s often overlooked
  • s131951
    s131951 Posts: 3,776 Member
    Options
    Many people say it’s better to leave a relationship than to cheat - To leave before it happens. It’s a relatively new idea that divorce is preferable to cheating. I’m not offering an opinion here one way or another because I haven’t formed one yet. And I’m not sure I’d share my personal beliefs on the subject even if I had.

Here is an interesting article. It touches on a few related points. If anyone reads more than 280 characters anymore, it’s got some food for thought.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2018/oct/13/a-strong-libido-and-bored-by-monogamy-the-truth-about-women-and-sex

The following excerpt from the article is unsettling:

"Another element in the mix, she says, was the finding that a third of women who are having an extramarital relationship say their marriage or long-term partnership is happy or very happy. “So we need to understand that women aren’t just seeking variety because they’re unhappy, they’re seeking it because they need variety and novelty,” she says."

how so?

I should have provided context.

We usually think of the road to infidelity in terms of unmet needs, unhappiness, or worse. In this case, things are going well and the marriage is "happy", yet infidelity still occurs. In short, it is the opposite of what is expected.
    ok, i see what you mean. i interpreted that excerpt to mean happy with everything except the lack of variety. I don’t know if I’m right about that though.

I do think however, that the author of the book seems to be saying that it is possible for some people to meet the need for novelty and variety within the boundaries of a faithful, monogamous relationship.

Makes sense, and it okay if all parties are consenting and aware.
    it is possible for some people to meet the need for novelty and variety within the boundaries of a faithful, monogamous relationship.
    just wanted to highlight that bolded part because I think it’s often overlooked

Agree.
  • ghudson92
    ghudson92 Posts: 2,061 Member
    Options
    I also think it’s funny how often I hear men say their wives don’t want sex anymore when maybe it’s just she wants different sex.

Yep. This was an issue in my previous relationship. Along with the expectation that it was my responsibility to initiate. It was a downward slope from there tbh.
  • KosmosKitten
    KosmosKitten Posts: 10,476 Member
    Options
    accavallo wrote: »
    accavallo wrote: »
    I’m curious how many friend requests the women who mentioned open marriage got when they hit “post reply.” Lol. Cheating is ultimately an argument about honesty not sexual ethics. Unless of course you’re not honest about your sexual ethics.

Honestly, I have a feeling I'll lose friends because I'm choosing to be open and honest about my experiences, especially because others in this thread have been hurt and they see "my type" as scum.

Their opinions and they are perfectly allowed to have them, I just have a feeling I'll get less friends requests and more deletes than anything, but ah well.

Well you’re getting a friend request from me. Not because of open marriage. I’m certainly not in one but because you hit upon something important and insightful. We’re all on a journey to become our most genuine honest self. It is the only true purpose in life and the only “mistakes” we make are when we don’t tell the truth ( to ourselves and other). You sir (or mam, I don’t know know your gender) are further along on this journey than most and it’s admirable. :)

I'm a crazy cat lady. Ask anyone here who knows me. :p
  • mtndewme
    mtndewme Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    I agree with most of the article posted. In my experience things have happened that way right on queue, 2-3 year in and I'm bored. Nothing lasted longer than 5 years and that's with a few years tossed in trying to save it. I was in one poly relationship for a short time but it came down to someone breaking ground rules and now it's cheating. Meh. I really love the idea of monogamy but I'm not sure about it, same as poly relationships. There's a time when being exclusive feels good and secure and a time where it feels like prison. I also get hella jealous so I'm not so sure about sharing. Human relationships are difficult and that's why I'm going to go live in the woods. goodbye. :wink:
  • Reckoner68
    Reckoner68 Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    mtndewme wrote: »
    I agree with most of the article posted. In my experience things have happened that way right on queue, 2-3 year in and I'm bored. Nothing lasted longer than 5 years and that's with a few years tossed in trying to save it. I was in one poly relationship for a short time but it came down to someone breaking ground rules and now it's cheating. Meh. I really love the idea of monogamy but I'm not sure about it, same as poly relationships. There's a time when being exclusive feels good and secure and a time where it feels like prison. I also get hella jealous so I'm not so sure about sharing. Human relationships are difficult and that's why I'm going to go live in the woods. goodbye. :wink:

This has been my plan for years so now I'm gonna have to make sure my woods doesn't already have people in it dangit
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options
    you said my things.
  • nighthawk584
    nighthawk584 Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    living in the woods sounds great on paper..... but then there's poison oak

and there is always a risk of Dueling Banjos
  • KosmosKitten
    Options

I agree with all of this, but odd thing is? I very rarely ever get jealous. My jealousy isn't the problem, it's apparently the lack thereof that seems to be a problem.

I don't do possessiveness and someone wanting to explore and be with other people doesn't offend me. In the past, it might have, but my relationship is as such now that if they wanted to go be with another partner, as long as they don't bring home diseases, drama or babies, I'm okay because I know that that person will come back. We're happy (mostly) together and I have encouraged my SO to explore (if he wants to), but he tells me he's not interested. **shrugs** But at least he knows the option is there for him if it changes.

But yes.. ALL relationships with people are hard, even friendships. Ugh.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options

I agree with all of this, but odd thing is? I very rarely ever get jealous. My jealousy isn't the problem, it's apparently the lack thereof that seems to be a problem.

I don't do possessiveness and someone wanting to explore and be with other people doesn't offend me. In the past, it might have, but my relationship is as such now that if they wanted to go be with another partner, as long as they don't bring home diseases, drama or babies, I'm okay because I know that that person will come back. We're happy (mostly) together and I have encouraged my SO to explore (if he wants to), but he tells me he's not interested. **shrugs** But at least he knows the option is there for him if it changes.

so, i’m thinking that the more people involved, the more difficult it is? more complicated?
  • KosmosKitten
    Options

so, i’m thinking that the more people involved, the more difficult it is? more complicated?

It can be. Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Really depends on the people involved and their personalities.

i thought i grew out of being possessive/jealous but turns out i just dgaf at the time

i hate it, it’s the worst feeling

:laugh: Maybe that's what it is. I just find jealousy to be a useless emotion and I hate how it makes me feel, so I'd rather not have it.
    cee134 wrote: »

I think you just described Twister.

:laugh:
  • heyjude0225
    heyjude0225 Posts: 913 Member
    Options
    caco_ethes wrote: »
    My ex wife told me that men cheat because they are *kitten* and women cheat because men are *kitten*.

She seemed to enjoy other *kitten* :D

I’ve heard this expression before and it kinda makes me see red, lol. No man made me do it, *kitten* or otherwise

Well that truly was her reasoning... all four times...
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options

i thought i grew out of being possessive/jealous but turns out i just dgaf at the time

i’ve been wondering if it’s possible to outgrow it. if it serves a purpose. if it can be used for good
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,492 Member
    Options

i’ve been wondering if it’s possible to outgrow it. if it serves a purpose. if it can be used for good

I kinda doubt it.

others would argue 'yes'....

but humans can argue about most anything.
  • your_future_ex_wife
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »

I kinda doubt it.

others would argue 'yes'....

but humans can argue about most anything.

i feel like you’re trying to bait me 😂❤️