October 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    What one sport or physical activity have you always wanted to try but haven't yet? Why haven't you tried?

Sky diving. Waiting till my son is at least 18, just in case.

If you're worried about the chute, he'd miss you as much at 18 as he would at 17.

Yes, he would, but at 18 or 20 (pending on his maturity) he would be able to take care of himself and carry on. *shrugs* it is probably silly, but it makes sense to me.
  • PastorVincent
    What is your approach to the upcoming holidays and abundance of food? How will it affect or effect your training or goals?
    I’m a type 2 diabetic, so just eating whatever I want for one day isn’t really an option for me, unless I want to spend the second half of that day extremely ill. Last year I felt like I finally had a handle on diabetes at Thanksgiving - I made sure there was a salad, made no sugar added cranberry sauce, brought a weird pie with little sugar, and ate a lot of turkey. Christmas isn’t that bad because our traditional family Christmas meal is breakfast, heavy on the eggs and bacon. The thing I miss most is Karo Pecan Pie - there’s just no way to bake dark corn syrup in a pie shell that doesn’t involve fabulous numbers of carbs - but I’m coping.

I also ran a Turkey Trot last Thanksgiving, and lifted weights on Christmas. I don’t usually eat more than the usual amount of food around the holidays, but I provide treats for myself by visiting the fancy import market and tasting exotic fruits.

This is a good point. I have serval food issues (including blood sugar) that will moderate the "eat all the things" answer I gave. Also, I have found as I age that stuffing my belly to the max is a far less pleasant experience than it sounds.

• polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    I just looked. I am accidentally close to 2019 miles in 2019. :) It was not a goal when I started the year, but might as well make it one now... :)
    i03cpimn08rk.jpg

That's about where I am in kilometers :)
  • PastorVincent
    Parkour could be fun, it really does look like it, but not until I get farther along in my anti-t-rex plan I think.

• martaindale
    martaindale Posts: 2,056 Member
    What is your approach to the upcoming holidays and abundance of food? How will it affect or effect your training or goals?
    My plan is to do what I did last year. For the most part, things don't change. I still meal prep like normal and just don't prepare anything for the actual days of the holiday. I don't tend to gorge myself, so I just eat what I want then get back to normal. Actually lost weight during the holidays last year. The goal this year is just maintennce. I also don't prep when I'm traveling so my outdoor climbing trip after Christmas is just trail food. High energy, low preparation stuff.

How old are you? Not chronologically. Is there an age where you knew who you wanted to be and have found that you’ve held tight to it, or perhaps comeback to it years later? What things have always interested you?
    I am 39, chronologically and otherwise. I never get too caught up in the number and I generally feel happy with whatever age I am. I don't look back and wish to be younger. I'm living in the now.

What one sport or physical activity have you always wanted to try but haven't yet? Why haven't you tried?
    I would try more water sports like kayaking and SUP I guess. In calm waters. I have a fear of falling or jumping into water over my head, so no white water for me and definitely a life jacket. But I love the water and those seem fun. I also want to skydive but my husband won't. My daughter is interested but too young, so maybe for her 18th!

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,971 Member
    These are great questions!

What is your approach to the upcoming holidays and abundance of food? How will it affect or effect your training or goals? There are no Turkey Trots in my town, but I'll try to get a nice run in on Thanksgiving and then I'll just enjoy all the food. It is just one day and there are lots of foods that I only eat at the holidays. Christmas isn't as big of a food holiday, but there will still be plenty of treats and I'll enjoy them too. I probably won't run on Christmas day, but I'll try to stay active in the days before and after so I'm not going to stress about it. We don't have a lot of holiday parties and I work in a very small office and we don't have holiday food out so that's never a problem for me. And we never get trick or treaters and our kids are grown, so I probably won't even buy any Halloween candy this year.

How old are you? Not chronologically. Is there an age where you knew who you wanted to be and have found that you’ve held tight to it, or perhaps comeback to it years later? What things have always interested you? This is a tough one. I don't know how old I am. I don't feel as old as I am chronologically. Or maybe I just don't think that 51 is old any more. I don't know if I've ever really known who I wanted to be. And while there have been good and bad things about all ages, I am enjoying my 50's so far. Most of my life I have put other's needs ahead of my own and now I am starting to care about myself more and care a little less about what others think. (Although worrying about what others think will probably always be a bit of a struggle for me.)

What one sport or physical activity have you always wanted to try but haven't yet? Why haven't you tried? I don't know if there is one sport I've never tried that I want to try. I would like to do more hiking, but that would require travel. I guess I would like to zip-line. I am extremely terrified of heights. I have no desire to ever skydive or bungee jump and I'm not sure I could do either even if someone literally paid me thousands of dollars. But I think I could zip-line. Maybe.