WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR NOVEMBER 2019

Replies

• SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    exermom wrote: »
    OK - what did I do wrong? I was trying to get a spoiler, guess I did it wrong. What's the right way?

Michele NC

Hi Michele.

I am proud of you taking the time to volunteer. Not many do even when they have the time and are complaining there is nothing to do. As far as the "grouch" you are dealing with I would just continue to kill her with kindness. There is something in her life making her act that way. Maybe she was powerless most of her life and since she is a "lead" now she feels when people get in her lane, even when being helpful, it's a call back to her life. I keep thinking a private conversation with her may do the trick. At work I normally say to someone, hey, let's take a break and take a walk with the person outside. I then say, when you do/say xyz, it makes me feel..... She seems like a handful and if she isn't receptive you keep doing what you are doing. You're there to help and make people feel there is someone out there that cares. :smile:

I do not have much time to volunteer but have found an organization that gleans farmers fields during the Florida growing season (Saturdays, yeah!). Last year the volunteers picked over 600 tons of food that would normally be tilled back in to the soil so another crop can be planted. Fields closer to me will be ready around January 9th and I am looking forward to getting out in the fields, listening to the birds, and being out in nature. It's very meditative to me.

It looks like Machka beat me to the spoiler tip. Machka, do you ever sleep?! :wink:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member
    Saturday -- rainy day. Much needed this spring. :) So the exercise was indoors today.

Rowing

Distance: 2,059m
    Time: 13:09

............... Avg.... / ...... Max
    Speed: .... 3:11/500m / 2:46/500m
    Cadence: . 28 ... / ... 30
    Power: .... 50W ... / ... 66W

Treadmill Run/Walk

Distance: 3.06km
    Time: 30:22
    Pace: 9:55/km

Plus some weights.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    It looks like Machka beat me to the spoiler tip. Machka, do you ever sleep?! :wink:

Not in the middle of the afternoon! :)

I answered that question about 1 pm on Saturday afternoon. :)

• SuziQ113
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Sleep Paralysis and Exploding Head Syndrome

Have any of you experienced these things?

Machka in Oz

Hi Machka!

I have experienced sleep paralysis on occasion, but never exploding head head syndrome. Wow, both scary and disturbing. I haven't been diligent in analyzing what is going on in my life when the sleep paralysis occurs. My dreams at those times are very much likes yours was where someone is chasing me and/or I am in a bad situation. I usually wake up because I am screaming at the person "get away from me" or "no".

It sounds like you need a little me time or need to scale it back at little. Or, hit that meditation goal a little harder.

Hopefully, November is a less stressful for you.
  • SuziQ113
    Hi All,

It's been forever since I've visited here, but I finally thought about it on the first of the month, so I'm not as far behind. It's nice to see so many familiar names and faces.

I don't know when I was last on here, but an update is due. I'm down 120 lbs since I started this journey. It took me a bit more than a year, and I've still got about 15 or 20 to reach my goal. (I need to see if the body will let me go as low as I want, since I've got a lot of excess skin that won't go away.) I've lost a small woman, and I gave my daughter a piggy-back ride as promised, since at 23, she's about the weight that I've lost. Ugh, how did I ever carry that around?

Cari in N. Texas

Cari - Congratulations on your weight loss! It's a reality check when we pick up what we have lost and feel what we were carrying around. It sounds like you're an inspiration to your family too. Keep up the great work.

• SuziQ113

I am still getting used to your time zone! :smiley: It's a little before 6 am here. I should probably bookmark a world time zone map which would make it easier for me to visualize where everyone is in their day.
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,810 Member
    <3
  • Machka9

I am still getting used to your time zone! :smiley: It's a little before 6 am here. I should probably bookmark a world time zone map which would make it easier for me to visualize where everyone is in their day.

It's 9 pm Saturday here in Tasmania. :)

• spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Sat morning here watching Rugby final in dressing gown and slippers. Will exercise after match. Not doing well at the moment :'(:'(

Kate UK <3
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,031 Member
    @ReginaH2018 (and other new girls): Welcome to the group. This is a great bunch of accepting, supportive, women. Jump in when the spirit moves you.
    Allie: 💖 Mental,Health Day 🎉
    Viv: (((hugs))) So sorry that your SiL is ill. 😤 Workmen not listening! If You pay! You call the tune! I would want to know why they made changes. Hope you can get a satisfactory resolution.
    Lanette:
    Kelly - I'll bet the Being Mortal was a great help in understanding your MIL's situation, and from her eyes. Some thoughts ....
    You are right. All the more reason for us to take care of our health and keep our "wits" as long as we can!
    I'm miffed with myself because I didn't start doing this much sooner.

Karen in VA: Good news about Bailey. It's such a worry when our fur babies get hurt.
    @auntiebk 😍 Adorable animals AND hunky Firefighters 😍 😂 😂 😂
    Rebecca: 💕💖💕 Glad you enjoyed your visit 🎉 not gaining
    Cari: and Barbie: Also feel the cold now that my extra padding is gone. I find it helps if I keep my feet and hands warm. 🎉 for smaller sizes.
    Machka: Have suffered from both in my younger days. 😏 Good to have a name to put to them.

I had bought some Halloween candy, but caller numbers have been dropping off over the last few years and we had none this year. Halloween Dance Party was fun, though. Yesterday was very wet, but I had Latin Study Group in the morning and Parchment Craft after lunch. This morning it's fine again, so hope to get the rest of my planters done for the winter.

I'm in a number of MFP challenges, and find the accountability very helpful.
    • Ultimate Accountability Challenge: log daily activity/calories/tracking
    • 👣 Sole Mates 👣 Private Walking Group: assistant coach, recording/reporting on optional strength challenge
    • Just Give Me 10 Days Weight Loss Challenge
    • Just For Today - One Day at a time Daily Commitment Thread
    • 3 Month Weight Loss Challenge

I think I'm all caught up for now 😂 😂 😂 Time for breakfast, and to go get the Sunday roast.

(((Hugs))) and 🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻 For those in extremis

✌🏻 pax vobiscum ✌🏻

☘️ Terri
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,031 Member
    edited November 2019

It's 9 pm Saturday here in Tasmania. :)

And 10.30 am here in Northern Ireland 😂 I'm having my morning cuppa and catching up with you all! Nothing urgent today, although I do have a piece to write for my Creative Writers' Group for Monday morning.
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Saturday morning here. :)

Barbie I too hate losing my "credit" for walking when my app doesn't sync up. Of course, you're still doing the exercise and ultimately that is what counts. My back up for accountability is my penny jar, a penny gets dropped into the jar each time I work out. Yesterday I added hand weights to the treadmill and it felt pretty good!

Beth that halloween event in the gym sounds like a great success, do you think they will make it annual or just weather dependent? My favorite student costume this year was a chatty little student of mine who dressed as a mime, boy did we have fun trying to make her talk while she was trying so hard to stay in mime character, too cute!

DH is recovering well from the knee scope surgery and we intend to start tackling some back yard projects today (including the gutters, oooh, how I hate the gutter clean out :s ) Meal prep, laundry and a catchup with my bff are on the list of to dos this weekend as well.

NYKAREN

• ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,326 Member
    Slowly starting my Saturday. Got a chair ordered from Amazon (just a little swivel accent chair). I sold my lift chair to SIL because it takes up way too much room in my living room. Have to get the bonded (fake) leather due to cats-didn't want to spend lots of money. No real furniture stores in my town that have anything other than the expensive stuff. So I will take a chance. Also ordered a deep red chair (couch is dark brown). May not sound daring to any of you, but it is definitely pushing my comfort zone. Bottom line was--I wanted a red chair so I go it.

Going to area meeting for church stuff a couple of hours this afternoon. Want to get house picked up before I go. Need to get in first set of PT stretches. They still aren't sure what is going on with my left leg. I am beginning to wonder if it may have anything to do with cerclage wire used for that hip/femur (right had none). I have read that sometimes the wire needs removed. Will give pt a couple of weeks then maybe have doc order X-ray to check that out. Then I would go back to ortho. I hope I am wrong, but I know something isn't right. So, will keep investigating.

Not ready for the cold. When I was little I always wanted snow for my birthday (which is Tuesday). I no longer ask for that!

Best wishes for all as we go through our individual stuff. Hope Saturday is peaceful and relaxing.

Ginny in Ohio
  • Machka9
    Most of the emails in my Inbox have to do with my cycling club. Guess I'm going to have to do something about that ... like address them. Eventually.

Meanwhile, it's just after midnight and I'm going to bed!!

Machka in Oz
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,903 Member
    :) Today is my "relaxing" day. What that means is that I didn't look at the clock when I woke up and just lay there enjoying the warmth of my bed and snuggling with Bernie the cat. When I finally got up it was 5:30 which would be too late if I were meeting my walking friend, but she cancelled because of early plans. I have no place to go or anyone to meet after dog walking so I can walk for two hours or more after breakfast. I can just let the rest of the day flow and do whatever I want and I'll enjoy every minute of it even if it's the same stuff I do every other day. Jake is making some new bean recipe in the slow cooker and is excited about it.

:)Barbara, my new hair style is that I am letting it grow, so on dance days I can wear it in a pony tail to keep it off my neck and keep me cooler.

:)Heather, Bravo to you for dressing right and going out in the storm.

:) Today is the darkest it will be in the morning until December. Sunrise here is at 7:59 AM. The strongest opponents to year round daylight savings time are teachers who worry about kids walking to school in the dark. I like walking in the dark so it's not a problem for me. My quarrel is with the abrupt time change twice a year.

<3 Barbie in NW WA