December 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Great race @Teresa502 ! Very impressive pace! Congrats on the 2nd place in you AG! Have you decided if you are doing the Pioneer 5 miler next week or not?

Speaking of the race next Saturday, I looked at the forecast and there is over a 30% chance that it will be raining. So, do you run a rainy road race in your "normal" running shoes or do you wear your trail running shoes? Right now, I am shoe poor and only have road running shoes. I really hate to get them wet. Does that show my novice-ness? Certainly shows that I am not "hard core" yet. :wink:

I haven’t decided on next Saturday yet but I’m doubtful I will make it over there - unless I get a second wind this week! I probably won’t decide until Friday. A lot depends on family obligations too which I completely ignored this weekend!

I usually wear my old shoes when it’s raining and I stuff newspaper in my wet shoes. It really absorbs the dampness.
  • Teresa502
    Options
    @katharmonic - your 5k sounds like it was so much fun! Glad you made it home safe and sound!

@polskagirl - congratulations on your trail race!

@T1DCarnivoreRunner - congratulations on your PR! Great job!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    I've never kept track of my overall miles for the year. But next year, I'm going to track every running mile. I walk a lot too and I don't keep track of that either. That's a goal for me in the new year!

If you use Strava, Runkeepr, Garmin, or another app like that, most if not all do it for you.

I may be what you call an "old school runner." The gas station at the end of the road is 1.6 miles away, so back and forth it's 3.2 miles. If I run in to the middle school and jump on the track, I am running .25 miles each lap around. I almost always do the same down hill, up hill sidewalk route every day because I run with a stroller and I can just jump on it since it's right behind my house. If I ever change my route, I might consider a high tech thing, 🤔.
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,441 Member
    Options
    Wow @Teresa502 great job finishing a HM after your 5K yesterday! And yes, you do look happy finishing 😀
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Great job @Teresa502! A half marathon after your great 5k yesterday, well done!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    Ended up running more on the main road; since it was 4k out, I figured it would be 4k back. And it was.
    Funny how that works!!!

@Teresa502 Great job on the HM! You look like you enjoyed it....at least you enjoyed being done with it. I can see how your leg might not be up to a 5 miler on Saturday, since you did both the HM and 5K this weekend. Let me know if you decide to.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    Wow @Teresa502 great job finishing a HM after your 5K yesterday! And yes, you do look happy finishing 😀

Well done indeed!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I've never kept track of my overall miles for the year. But next year, I'm going to track every running mile. I walk a lot too and I don't keep track of that either. That's a goal for me in the new year!

If you use Strava, Runkeepr, Garmin, or another app like that, most if not all do it for you.

I may be what you call an "old school runner." The gas station at the end of the road is 1.6 miles away, so back and forth it's 3.2 miles. If I run in to the middle school and jump on the track, I am running .25 miles each lap around. I almost always do the same down hill, up hill sidewalk route every day because I run with a stroller and I can just jump on it since it's right behind my house. If I ever change my route, I might consider a high tech thing, 🤔.

Do you have a smartphone? Stava and Runkeeper will both do fine using just the phone to track what you do. No need to if you do not want to just wanted to make sure you knew the option was there if you wanted it.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,978 Member
    Options
    December Goal: 100 Miles

12/1: 10.05 miles
    12/3: 6.25 miles
    12/4: 6.05 miles
    12/5: 6.25 miles
    12/8: 10.10 miles
    12/9: 6.05 miles
    12/11: 6.10 miles
    12/12: 6.30 miles
    12/15: 10.51 miles

67.66/100 miles completed

I ran 10.5 miles today. It was a really nice run. I had to get out earlier than I like since our hand bell choir was playing at church this morning. So it was dark when I started but light when I finished. I saw a woman I know walking with her dad and she asked about my noxgear vest. Other than that it was a pretty uneventful run, but I enjoyed it. The weather was really nice at about 44°F and not windy. It's supposed to be pretty cold this week so I was glad it was nice for my long run.

@katharmonic So glad you had fun at your 5K. That sounds like a really fun race.

@Teresa502 Great job on your HM the day after your 5K!

exercise.png

2019 races:
    2/2/19: Catch the Groundhog Half Marathon - PR 2:15:17
    5/18/19: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - Cancelled due to weather
    10/5/19: Old Rip 5K - PR 27:27, 1st AG
    11/9/19: Wags and Whiskers 5K -2nd AG, 4th Woman, 5K PR - 26:36

2020 races:
    5/16/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options

Do you have a smartphone? Stava and Runkeeper will both do fine using just the phone to track what you do. No need to if you do not want to just wanted to make sure you knew the option was there if you wanted it.

I do and I will give those a shot! I definitely will! I under count, intentionally, everything I do but it would be nice to have accuracy. I'll run my regular to gas station and back route but when I'm running into the middle school track, I don't count it until I get to the track. It's probably only 1/10 of a mile but considering I do it alot, I'm shorting myself alot and I know it. I will try those apps! Thank you!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,441 Member
    Options
    So been busy, but snuck in a few miles on the dreadmill tonight to finish!

pkj6j8q5dcdi.png

I can take the rest of the year off now, right? :smiley:

Most impressive sir!!! 👍💪😲
  • Teresa502
    Options
    Congratulations @PastorVincent!

Sorry for the struggles @rheddmobile - hang in there. We are getting closer to Spring every day! :-)
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    Options
    Congratulations @PastorVincent ! That's great!

@rheddmobile Sorry you are having a hard time. Hope the hip gets to feeling better soon and that you didn't hurt your knees too badly. These rainy, yucky, short days can make one feel blah. But, the days will start getting longer in just 5 more days!!! Hang in there.
  • Teresa502
    Options
    Dec 2 – 5.11 miles
    Dec 4 – 5.06 miles
    Dec 7 – 10.03 miles
    Dec 9 – 5.11 miles
    Dec 11 – 5.06 miles
    Dec 14 – 3.22 (Dream Run 5k)
    Dec 15 – 13.26 miles (Santa Hustle)
    Dec 16 – 3.5 miles
    Total - 50.35/100 miles

Thanks to everyone for your cheering on of my weekend running adventures. I did a very slow 3.5 miles this morning to shake things out. I used my foam roller for a few minutes last night and I think that helped. Hoping to go to yoga at lunch today to stretch things out.

There is a store here in town located on our morning route that buys gold and has a huge gorilla out front. They decorate the gorilla for each season and we often stop for group selfies there. Everyone is always talking about the animals they see so here’s my animal sighting for the day!
    6e472944n3nq.jpg
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options

pkj6j8q5dcdi.png

Yes. If you want to :) 2019 in MILES is awesome!

Great job on your double race weekend @Teresa502
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options

pkj6j8q5dcdi.png

Of course you can, but I'm thinking you probably won't.
    Congratulations!!!