December 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    I have completely forgotten to add Thursday's run. 5km, no drama.
    Saturday 0km, 1 headache and several drinks the night before.
    Sunday 5km. I did mean to catch up with a long run this morning but spent much of yesterday napping so slept badly. Backache, grumble, grumble grumble. Stopped after 5k of me talking myself down, I often get very tetchy after a night out even 2 or 3 days later.

Anyway, Sunday is off to see some family. More alcohol.

December goals:
    1. Distance ..........110k................55k
    2. Runs.................16....................8
    3. Long distance..13k..................12k
    4. Other ...............10k/1walk.......2
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    @noblsheep In places where humans run a lot I often see small animals hanging around. They just get used to people going by and no longer see them as a threat.
  • PastorVincent
    My time was among my slowest 5k times, but it was all very fun and kind of a magical feeling.
    Sounds like one of your best races then! :)
  • marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Last marathon, I carried a hydration belt with flasks and stopped at a couple of water stations. I am considering using a camelback since the temps at this next marathon will be warmer and I anticipate drinking more water. I think it will also be less awkward than the belt.
    I have previously done some summer runs with a camelback, but never a long race. I know it would add some weight.
    What is everyone’s opinions/experiences?
  • PastorVincent
    Last marathon, I carried a hydration belt with flasks and stopped at a couple of water stations. I am considering using a camelback since the temps at this next marathon will be warmer and I anticipate drinking more water. I think it will also be less awkward than the belt.
    I have previously done some summer runs with a camelback, but never a long race. I know it would add some weight.
    What is everyone’s opinions/experiences?

I do all my long runs year-round with my Wunjo hydration pack on. During the summer I do ALL of my runs with it. 1.5L of water (about right for most hydration packs) is three and a half pounds. The empty pack is probably pretty light, so you are talking like four pounds, 5 on the outside. This does not seem to impact my pace at all, but YMMV on this.

But, race as you train. So if you are thinking of running 26 miles with a hydration pack, wear it on your long runs during training. That way you can see how it feels, identify chaffing points, and the like.
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited December 2019
    @katharmonic That sounds like a really fun race! I love that it started snowing as the race started. Sorry that the walkers didn't heed the e-mails, but I guess since it really was a "fun" run, it didn't matter a whole lot. I'm sure those who wanted to run hard managed to get up front. Glad you made it home safely!

@noblsheep It does sound like that rabbit was an abandoned pet. I don't think white rabbits occur in nature, unless you're in the Arctic. :wink: It's so sad when people do that. They really don't know how to defend themselves in the wild. I hope this one figures out how to survive. Sounds like you had a good run.

• marisap2010

I do all my long runs year-round with my Wunjo hydration pack on. During the summer I do ALL of my runs with it. 1.5L of water (about right for most hydration packs) is three and a half pounds. The empty pack is probably pretty light, so you are talking like four pounds, 5 on the outside. This does not seem to impact my pace at all, but YMMV on this.

But, race as you train. So if you are thinking of running 26 miles with a hydration pack, wear it on your long runs during training. That way you can see how it feels, identify chaffing points, and the like.

Yes, I would definitely train with it. I am getting into runs longer than a half at this point, so I am trying to figure out what I might want to do so I can start using it now. Thanks for the input!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,430 Member
    @katharmonic That sounds like an amazing race atmosphere! Glad you enjoyed the full experience of it. Now go get that 2019K!! 😁
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Thoughts on decreasing the long run every 3 weeks? Just read an article that every three weeks the long run should be shorter ... so the next one would be 14 and then the one after that would be seven?

I don’t like the idea of back pedaling .....
  • marisap2010
    Thoughts on decreasing the long run every 3 weeks? Just read an article that every three weeks the long run should be shorter ... so the next one would be 14 and then the one after that would be seven?

It is giving your body a chance to rest so you don’t injure yourself. All good training plans have cutback weeks.

For instance, today I have 14, but next weekend is a cutback before moving up to 17.
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member

It is giving your body a chance to rest so you don’t injure yourself. All good training plans have cutback weeks.

For instance, today I have 14, but next weekend is a cutback before moving up to 17.

Bleh. I guess that makes sense. I can’t afford a single injury at this point. April is coming up too quick!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    12-1 7k easy
    12-2 7k slow + resistance bands
    12-3 rest
    12-4 7k slow + resistance bands
    12-5 rest + yoga
    12-6 7k slow + resistance bands
    12-7 7k easy + yoga
    12-8 rest
    12-9 4k easy + resistance bands
    12-10 rest + yoga
    12-11 7k easy + resistance bands
    12-12 7k easy + yoga
    12-13 rest + resistance bands
    12-14 7k easy + yoga
    12-15 8k slow

December Total: 68k
    December Goal: 135k

January Total: 131k
    February Total: 159.5k
    March Total: 183k
    April Total: 126k
    May Total: 128k
    June Total: 161.5k
    July Total: 151k
    August Total: 133k
    September Total: 135k
    October Total: 115k
    November Total: 155k

2019 Total through November: 1,578k / 978.36m

Monthly average: 143.45k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races - Completed 8-31.
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k - Nope...
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year - Completed 12-7.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen - Completed 9-28

High 20s F today with light snow. Footing was precarious, especially on the side streets. Ended up running more on the main road; since it was 4k out, I figured it would be 4k back. And it was.

@katharmonic Sounds like you had a blast.

@quilteryoyo In all the time I've spend outdoors, I've only ever seen one wild albino rabbit. They have a much harder time avoiding predators.

@mbaker566 Must I nag some more??????????????????

2020 goals:
    Continue a 5k regimen.
    Train better.

4-13 Shine the Light 5K - 31:12 chip time; First Place male 65 and older
    6-30 Strides for Starfish 5K - 31:34 chip time; 31/77 overall; second male 65 and older (no official category)
    7-27 Solon Home Days 5K - 31:11 chip time; 95/141 overall; 4/6 age group (male)
    8-31 Race for Freedom 5k - 31:39 chip time; 32:00 Garmin time; Third Place male 60 and older
    10-13 Haunted Hustle 5k - 31:22 chip time; 47/74 overall; First Place male 60 and older
  • PastorVincent

Every marathon plan I have ever seen has had what is called a "cut back week" - Sometimes it is every three weeks, some times four, but they all have them. As others have said the idea is to prevent overtraining which leads at best to lower performance and more typically to injury. So yes, take cut back weeks. :)
  • PastorVincent
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    I've never kept track of my overall miles for the year. But next year, I'm going to track every running mile. I walk a lot too and I don't keep track of that either. That's a goal for me in the new year!

If you use Strava, Runkeepr, Garmin, or another app like that, most if not all do it for you.