December 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• marisap2010
    marisap2010 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Great job getting all of those miles, @PastorVincent!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    Running Books, great question @polskagirl01! I have a few...

One of my favorites is 'Shut Up and Run' by Robyn Arzon. It is incredibly motivating, has sections that are like a journal, running plans and all kinds of tips and I really like her attitude and the way she writes. When I am feeling unmotivated or like I am not improving enough it is my go to re-read.

I have also read Several of Matt Fitzgerald's books '80/20 Running', 'Racing Weight', etc. and there is definitely good info in them as well but I found them a bit boring.

Recently I read Jeff Galloway's 'Running until You're 100' which was also good, has tons of tips but I didn't like his frequent references to his other books rather than just giving the information on whatever it was.

Right now I am reading 'The Cool Impossible' by Eric Orton and trying to incorporate some of the exercises he recommends. It is written rather strangely - he tries to make it like you are there with him running and being coached, but again good information.
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,390 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    shanaber wrote: »
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    @Camaramandy648 Good advice from...
    @mbaker566 Be aware of your surroundings and confident. I am barely 100 pounds and I run with no weapons. I used to consistently run a heavily wooded trail. One twilight, this girl stopped me and told me that I shouldn't go any further because some guy tried to stop her and he seemed drunk. But why is he even there (what purpose) and why is he trying to stop anyone? I thanked her and turned around. I don't go at night anymore or when it's dark. I don't live in fear and I'm not even nervous. There are so many options for running these days. We have a plethora of trails and sidewalks here. I do my research if I'm planning a new route and I refuse to let anyone ruin my run, to occupy my headspace when I'm running since that is my hit the refresh button time. Good luck! Pepper spray might be a good option?! And yes, self defense classes are confidence builders to bust someone's...

i do not want to give anyone anything they can use against me. spray included
    being in the city that i live in. there is in fact stranger danger. but no one really bothers me. i've helped drunks out of the road. dissuaded someone from robbing me (i had no money anyways). i acknowledge the homeless folk. i make eye contact with everyone i pass. i make myself visible. not necessarily by color but by presence. "oh yeah, i know her. she always says good morning"

This ^^^
    I do the same and I almost always have Hobbes the Vizsla with me. He is very social but has a build that some think is like a pit bull (big chest) and while he likes most everyone he will let me know when there is someone who makes him uncomfortable.
    I have also stopped some women who walk or run with their heads down looking at their feet and not looking around themselves at all and pointed out how vulnerable it makes them. If nothing else they should be aware of the cyclists and runners on the trail that they could impede.

Or walkers on their phone 🤦‍♀️
    I like to yell boo as i run past.

Speed demon is a bit of a tank when she's running at you

Anyone want to tell the 8lb foster he has to move so i can go run🤣😋

@mbaker566 - I should try that sometime 'BOO' - hahahaha!
    That 8lb foster has a darned cute face and would be difficult to tell him he has to move! Maybe better to stick him in a backpack and take him with you (wrapped in a blanket of course) 😁
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    @mbaker566 Be aware of your surroundings and confident. I am barely 100 pounds and I run with no weapons. I used to consistently run a heavily wooded trail. One twilight, this girl stopped me and told me that I shouldn't go any further because some guy tried to stop her and he seemed drunk. But why is he even there (what purpose) and why is he trying to stop anyone? I thanked her and turned around. I don't go at night anymore or when it's dark. I don't live in fear and I'm not even nervous. There are so many options for running these days. We have a plethora of trails and sidewalks here. I do my research if I'm planning a new route and I refuse to let anyone ruin my run, to occupy my headspace when I'm running since that is my hit the refresh button time. Good luck! Pepper spray might be a good option?! And yes, self defense classes are confidence builders to bust someone's...

being in the city that i live in. there is in fact stranger danger. but no one really bothers me. i've helped drunks out of the road. dissuaded someone from robbing me (i had no money anyways). i acknowledge the homeless folk. i make eye contact with everyone i pass. i make myself visible. not necessarily by color but by presence. "oh yeah, i know her. she always says good morning"

This ^^^
    I do the same and I almost always have Hobbes the Vizsla with me. He is very social but has a build that some think is like a pit bull (big chest) and while he likes most everyone he will let me know when there is someone who makes him uncomfortable.
    I have also stopped some women who walk or run with their heads down looking at their feet and not looking around themselves at all and pointed out how vulnerable it makes them. If nothing else they should be aware of the cyclists and runners on the trail that they could impede.

@mbaker566 - I should try that sometime 'BOO' - hahahaha!
    That 8lb foster has a darned cute face and would be difficult to tell him he has to move! Maybe better to stick him in a backpack and take him with you (wrapped in a blanket of course) 😁

I've been tempted...
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    12/1 - 12.4 m
    12/2 - 3.5 m
    12/3 - 3.2 m
    12/4 - 3.2 m
    12/5 - 3.2 m
    12/6 - 3.2 m
    12/7 - 0
    12/8 - 5.2 m
    12/9 - 3.7 m
    12/10- 0
    12/11 - 4.2 m
    12/12 - 0
    12/13- 3.2 m
    12/14 - 3.2 m
    12/15- 6.9 m
    12/16- 3.2 m ...

For a grand total of 55.1 miles for December so far!
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    Finally went to see dr. Good news is that I do not have a stress fracture! So I guess the answer is a sprain? Seems like a lot, but maybe I am just a baby. I keep RICE for now.

I have to wonder how long you’ve been in pain and IF a stress fracture could be seen yet. My understanding is it not visible on X-ray until it begins to knit. (Assuming X-ray.). I think it’d be wise to treat it like a stress response and possibly sprained if you did something to sprain it. Sorry I’m not up on the deets 😉 I gotta go back and read up. Another guess would be tendonosis as it is incredibly painful and I think “fracture” every time I have it in my feet. Or, subluxed cuboid? That can really hurt and radiate like bone pain. There’s a maneuver that you can do free it.
  • noblsheep
    noblsheep Posts: 584 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    What running books do you recommend?
    Just finished Building Your Running Body. It's more of a how to guide, but the science parts were pretty illuminating.

Currently reading Running is My Therapy. I feel like most of it is about stuff I/we already know, but some of the anecdotes were hilarious.

My favorite running book is probably Murakami's "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running". I go back to it once every year or two and always find new stuff to like about it.

This ^^^

I'll need to try that sometime!
  • T1DCarnivoreRunner
    T1DCarnivoreRunner Posts: 11,502 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    Finally went to see dr. Good news is that I do not have a stress fracture! So I guess the answer is a sprain? Seems like a lot, but maybe I am just a baby. I keep RICE for now.

I have to wonder how long you’ve been in pain and IF a stress fracture could be seen yet. My understanding is it not visible on X-ray until it begins to knit. (Assuming X-ray.). I think it’d be wise to treat it like a stress response and possibly sprained if you did something to sprain it. Sorry I’m not up on the deets 😉 I gotta go back and read up. Another guess would be tendonosis as it is incredibly painful and I think “fracture” every time I have it in my feet. Or, subluxed cuboid? That can really hurt and radiate like bone pain. There’s a maneuver that you can do free it.

Achilles tendonitis started after 11/10 and snkle swelling /pain started around 11/30.
  • dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Saw this on the local-ish news yesterday morning. Towards the end, I had tears in my eyes...

https://fox6now.com/2019/02/13/long-may-they-run-ed-and-sandy-are-fixtures-at-races-fun-runs-across-se-wisconsin/
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Long run day. But wait, did I post yesterday? I had designed this killer hill workout where there's this long hill, but it has about 10 streets coming off of it all the way down. If you start at the bottom, they aren't too steep, but as you work your way up the hill, these side-street hills get worse and worse. Yesterday I did 5 of the harder ones, and it was really tough! I plan to gradually add a street at a time until someday I'll do all 10. Someday. Maybe.
    The goal route. I only did 5 of those yesterday.
    gn2v2u9ak5a3.jpg
    Pictures from the bottom of the last hill
    lso7uhpeldur.jpg
    y20wp0mun2lv.jpg
    Today was my long run, so nice and slow, walking up big hills instead of trying to hit 5k pace on them, and I had some snacks and drink to keep me company too. The weather is beautiful, especially for December, and I noticed lots of chickens out looking for bugs :) I mostly enjoyed it.

December goal 100 miles

exercise.png

Upcoming races:
    Dec 24/25 virtual Botanical 5k
    Jan. 11 - CityTrail 5k (#4 of 6)

I love this! I want to run somewhere like that! Those hills, though! I really enjoy creating little challenges for myself, too. :) It looks like you had fun!
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Saw this on the local-ish news yesterday morning. Towards the end, I had tears in my eyes...

https://fox6now.com/2019/02/13/long-may-they-run-ed-and-sandy-are-fixtures-at-races-fun-runs-across-se-wisconsin/

Awwwwwwwwwwwww I LOVE THIS! I WANT TO BE SANDY!!!!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,970 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 Killer hills. I'm sure you will be ecstatic when you can do all 10 of those hills on a run.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    @polskagirl01 Killer hills. I'm sure you will be ecstatic when you can do all 10 of those hills on a run.
    It's a long-term goal for sure!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    12-1 7k easy
    12-2 7k slow + resistance bands
    12-3 rest
    12-4 7k slow + resistance bands
    12-5 rest + yoga
    12-6 7k slow + resistance bands
    12-7 7k easy + yoga
    12-8 rest
    12-9 4k easy + resistance bands
    12-10 rest + yoga
    12-11 7k easy + resistance bands
    12-12 7k easy + yoga
    12-13 rest + resistance bands
    12-14 7k easy + yoga
    12-15 8k slow
    12-16 7k slow + resistance bands
    12-17 rest + yoga

December Total: 75k
    December Goal: 135k

January Total: 131k
    February Total: 159.5k
    March Total: 183k
    April Total: 126k
    May Total: 128k
    June Total: 161.5k
    July Total: 151k
    August Total: 133k
    September Total: 135k
    October Total: 115k
    November Total: 155k

2019 Total through November: 1,578k / 978.36m

Monthly average: 143.45k

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2019 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?
    Run at least 4 5k races - Completed 8-31.
    Get under 30:00 and a PR for 5k - Nope...
    Average at least 135k per month, which would put me over 1,000 miles for the year - Completed 12-7.

Run the Year Team: Five for Nineteen - Completed 9-28

Scheduled rest day today. Just as well; got a little snow overnight so footing is probably not good. Yoga is helping my flexibility.

2020 goals:
    Continue a 5k regimen.
    Train better.

4-13 Shine the Light 5K - 31:12 chip time; First Place male 65 and older
    6-30 Strides for Starfish 5K - 31:34 chip time; 31/77 overall; second male 65 and older (no official category)
    7-27 Solon Home Days 5K - 31:11 chip time; 95/141 overall; 4/6 age group (male)
    8-31 Race for Freedom 5k - 31:39 chip time; 32:00 Garmin time; Third Place male 60 and older
    10-13 Haunted Hustle 5k - 31:22 chip time; 47/74 overall; First Place male 60 and older
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

I see these two at races. i love Perry's People. warm and fuzzies