December 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options

@Avidkeo Getting out of bed can be a major achievement some days! WTG!

yes, so true.
    sometimes the only reason i get out is cause one of us needs to pee
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    Do y'all eat before running or go on an empty stomach? On shorter runs, like 3 miles, I don't eat and I'm fine...never an issue. Never....but I've always eaten on longer runs out of anxiety that I will feel awful, and not out of hunger. On Sunday I ate and then ran too far from the house and had to run back. I felt like I had a huge air bubble sitting at the top of my stomach that a good burp would have fixed...but, anyway not trying to be gross but I'm curious... thank y'all...I wanted to add that it's only the second time in 4 years that I felt ill while running but if anyone does longer runs fresh out of bed on an empty stomach, then I'll give it a shot too... thanks again, y'all! It's supposed to be 73 degrees tomorrow and we're not celebrating Christmas until Thursday (opening presents) and dinner with loved ones on Friday. So I want to get out and run a long one tomorrow...
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    @lovelychar i'll eat something light for longer runs. exs: protein bar, latte, yogurt, toast and peanut butter, kind bar, stroopwafel
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    @lovelychar i'll eat something light for longer runs. exs: protein bar, latte, yogurt, toast and peanut butter, kind bar, stroopwafel

Okay thank you so much, I'm going to try some protein bars out.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    mbaker566 wrote: »

Okay thank you so much, I'm going to try some protein bars out.

I eat every hour or so no matter what I am doing, but small meals, not huge things. It is rare I eat a big meal any more. During runs I eat Cliff Bloxs and the like.

This is one of those things that takes experimenting and can be very individual but in general, stick to things that are easy to digest so they move through your system with less need of energy to process.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @kgirlhart Great job getting your distance PR AND overachieving your 2019K run the year!!! :D

Yes! That’s awesome! It seems we have pretty similar run schedules. I’ve run HM distance only twice, once in training which was by accident lol, and once in my one and only HM race. My long runs these days are 10-11 as well. I wonder if I could do hm now without “training” . Well done for just going out and doing it!
    kgirlhart wrote: »
    @hamsterwheel6 If you are running 10 mile long runs then you probably could do the HM distance any time you want.

I agree. Just plan a few days of rest before a race and I believe you could do it and do it well without any "real training"
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    Tonight is the main xmas celebration here in Spain, family dinner is the tradition for just about everyone. That meant when I ran at 8am today there were literally runners everywhere, all trying to earn themselves some extra calories for the excesses of the evening, undoubtedly.
    Anyway that means I'll be mostly absent for a day or two now, so I'll wish everyone a happy christmas now :-)

Enjoy, and Happy Holidays!
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    December Goal: 100 Miles

12/1: 10.05 miles
    12/3: 6.25 miles
    12/4: 6.05 miles
    12/5: 6.25 miles
    12/8: 10.10 miles
    12/9: 6.05 miles
    12/11: 6.10 miles
    12/12: 6.30 miles
    12/15: 10.51 miles
    12/17: 6.06 miles
    12/18: 6.31 miles
    12/19: 7.02 miles
    12/22: 13.32 miles
    12/24: 6.03 miles

106.4/100 miles completed

I ran 6 lovely miles this morning. The weather was so nice! I'm not planning to run tomorrow. My daughter is on her way here and as soon as the mail comes here at my office I will go to the bank and then I will be off until Monday! I hope everyone who celebrates has a very Merry Christmas!

exercise.png

2019 races:
    2/2/19: Catch the Groundhog Half Marathon - PR 2:15:17
    5/18/19: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - Cancelled due to weather
    10/5/19: Old Rip 5K - PR 27:27, 1st AG
    11/9/19: Wags and Whiskers 5K -2nd AG, 4th Woman, 5K PR - 26:36

2020 races:
    5/16/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon

Same to you!
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @kgirlhart Great job getting your distance PR AND overachieving your 2019K run the year!!! :D

Yes! That’s awesome! It seems we have pretty similar run schedules. I’ve run HM distance only twice, once in training which was by accident lol, and once in my one and only HM race. My long runs these days are 10-11 as well. I wonder if I could do hm now without “training” . Well done for just going out and doing it!
    @hamsterwheel6 If you are running 10 mile long runs then you probably could do the HM distance any time you want.

I agree. Just plan a few days of rest before a race and I believe you could do it and do it well without any "real training"

Thanks to both of you! Planning on signing up for one in the spring, so if I keep up with what I am doing , hopefully I will be ok. And the rest days before hand are a wise idea!
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    Do y'all eat before running or go on an empty stomach? On shorter runs, like 3 miles, I don't eat and I'm fine...never an issue. Never....but I've always eaten on longer runs out of anxiety that I will feel awful, and not out of hunger. On Sunday I ate and then ran too far from the house and had to run back. I felt like I had a huge air bubble sitting at the top of my stomach that a good burp would have fixed...but, anyway not trying to be gross but I'm curious... thank y'all...I wanted to add that it's only the second time in 4 years that I felt ill while running but if anyone does longer runs fresh out of bed on an empty stomach, then I'll give it a shot too... thanks again, y'all! It's supposed to be 73 degrees tomorrow and we're not celebrating Christmas until Thursday (opening presents) and dinner with loved ones on Friday. So I want to get out and run a long one tomorrow...

For short runs I don’t eat anything, just coffee and go, even 10k I didn’t. For long runs, yes, I’ll have something for sure, and a gel or some chews during. All depends on the person and what works for you. Try a few things. I’m still figuring it out lol
  • hamsterwheel6
    Options
    In case you are wondering what it is to be like me... two days before Christmas I decided to go to Walmart because the Jeep needs washer fluid. I go in to grab a jug and come out with a pillow. Not even the right size pillow for my bed mind you, just a random one.

Oh, and the Jeep still needs washer fluid.

This. Omg,I laughed as this happens often around here.
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    @PastorVincent & @hamsterwheel6 thank you for the input...

@kgirlhart thank you for your response...and nice job on the miles...very nice!!! Maybe one day we'll cross paths at a marathon or run in Texas.

Nice job to everyone crushing their goals and to those trying. The past two months I would have fallen into the trying but falling short category. I didn't necessarily give up, but I definitely felt discouraged. This month I have 81.3 of the 100 miles I'm shooting for so I feel optimistic. I haven't gone out today yet and it will be a short run. My husband works a long day today and won't get home until around 7:00 tonight. But...he's off for 6 days which means I can do whatever I want to, be gone as long as I want to. So looking forward to it...

I hope everyone has a very merry Christmas. I will probably pop in here tomorrow. Y'all have a wonderful day...