December 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Replies

• PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    @ContraryMaryMary well done!
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,706 Member
    I am also going to sign up for the Pioneer 5 mile race on Dec 21st. I ran this race back in 2012.

My friend that I ran with yesterday was trying to talk me into this one. If I decide to do it I will message you - would love to meet up!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    @ContraryMaryMary congrats on finishing your race, with a good time even, despite the pains. Hope you are recovering well.

@greenolivetree hugs to you.

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member

That's the way to start December!!!!! Great run.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    UTMBdreams wrote: »
    I'm a new member and I will be going for 50 miles this month.

Welcome!
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,433 Member
    @Teresa502 very well done on your 20 miles! Those are treacherous conditions to run in, so very impressive that you got in 20 miles. You definitely deserve that 🏅
  • UTMBdreams
    UTMBdreams Posts: 22 Member
    UTMBdreams wrote: »
    I'm a new member and I will be going for 50 miles this month.

Welcome!

Thanks, @PastorVincent !
  • Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Scott6255 wrote: »
    @Teresa502 very well done on your 20 miles! Those are treacherous conditions to run in, so very impressive that you got in 20 miles. You definitely deserve that 🏅

Thanks Scott!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 4,970 Member
    December Goal: 100 Miles

12/1: 10.05 miles

10.05/100 miles completed

I started off December with a wonderful 10 mile run. It was a little chilly at 38°F feels like 34°F and ending at about 44°F feels like 39°F. But it was sunny and a really pretty day which was nice after a couple of drizzly, gray days. I guess I am getting more acclimated to the cold too. I really enjoyed the run this morning. It is so nice to just get outside and get lost in my thoughts.

Re: gifts. I don't really do much Black Friday Shopping. I did recently get a Noxgear Tracer 360 vest, so I don't really need anything for myself. As far as Christmas gifts go I usually get a year end bonus and that is what I use to buy gifts. I usually get it around the 15th, so I am always a last minute shopper.

Re: Where have I been this year and where will I go in the next? I'm not really sure. I feel like my fitness has improved and I would like to see that continue. I have enjoyed most of my runs and I want to not only continue to run, but to continue to enjoy it. I have never attempted to "run the year", but I did notice today that I have run 1174 miles so far this year which is no where near 2019 miles, but it is 1889 kilometers, so I could run the year in Kilometers. I think I will set my goal for 2020 to be 2020 kilometers and run the year that way.

exercise.png

2019 races:
    2/2/19: Catch the Groundhog Half Marathon - PR 2:15:17
    5/18/19: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon - Cancelled due to weather
    10/5/19: Old Rip 5K - PR 27:27, 1st AG
    11/9/19: Wags and Whiskers 5K -2nd AG, 4th Woman, 5K PR - 26:36

2020 races:
    5/16/20: Run for 57th AHC Half Marathon
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,954 Member
    edited December 2019
    @Teresa502 Yes! Message me if you decide to do this one. I would love to meet up!

Well done @ContraryMaryMary ! Hope you have recovered.

I just ordered a bra from the Handful website. Everything is 30% off. Here is a link to their site, with my referral, if you want to check them out - http://handful.refr.cc/vickyr or you can use @shanaber's referreal -http://handful.refr.cc/shanab

• somum
    somum Posts: 72 Member

@Scott6255 health and healing to your body as I know you will make your goal.

Welcome @Christine4695, @greeneggs_and_sam, and @dmfaler and all the other new member as I am a newbie myself so please bear with me as I learn the ropes from the experienced gurus in the community!

Wow what incredible goals @T1DCarnivoreRunner and @AlphaHowls! Thank you for setting the bar!

Monthly questions:

Picking races -I have to stick close to home currently due to work life balance scheduling, grad school and my little one. This Spring I will take on the Shamrock @ VA Beach which is in state but many miles and hours away. I am excited for this marathon as it is the race I was training for BQ yet I had to put on pause due to health. Since my Org provides discounts for races and I have created health and wellness challenges and initiatives for associates I typically will complete these races. For 2020 since joining this community I have set a goal for my first ultra by EOY. I am considering the the Frozen Toe 10k along with the series in Jan and will decide by week 2 in Dec which will challenge me due to the cold conditions yet I think be a great way to kick off the new year and intro back into cross country running.

Gifts - Shoes, gear and races 🥶🤪😊 plus tech🥰.

Where have I been and where am I going? - Fantastic Question and actually came up several times for me today! Thank you! Where have I been- sidelines cheering for others and healing my body while sadly life saving meds have put on more than desired pounds. Nevertheless; transformation and determination is my middle name🦋 so I knew the moment change came it’s on and since that pivotal moment I have elevated and embraced each day! Where to from here-without sounding cliche’— good to great. Knowing greater is in store I can certainly see myself on the road more finishing races strong, creating more initiatives for my org and helping my local community at large while also getting my Fam into running- my first grader completed her first real race in October with me running by her side!!! So cool and as for hubby well he is a weight lifter that strongly supports my running so I hope to get him on a few courses by perhaps trying out Spartan Races.
    Oh and as for Dec goals— I am helping a friend create a professional athletes fitness app so I am incorporating more weights with her help. She calls this month my off season 🤣 so I’m not 100% sure of totals but I can safely say 100 miles for Dec. 💆‍♀️
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Are "we" doing RTY teams again? It's almost time to put that together again.

I'm signed up, but could always sync DH to it rather than myself if I'm not running/walking/ biking. He's battling asthma constantly and the cold weather doesn't help also he doesn't have me to complete against. So, I hate to take a spot not contributing. So, I'll wait to join a team.

I'm hopeful and am psychologically ready to get back at it. I'm a bit anxious for December's follow up. Which, probably won't be "run" but I can pretend until then.
  • TheMrWobbly
    TheMrWobbly Posts: 2,523 Member
    It is good to have some newbies on board having only joined a few weeks ago - welcome to everyone.

Good luck with your challenge @Avidkeo

Started December with a shorter run than expected, a tight calf muscle, still tight today - I'll keep stretching at my desk to see if I can free it up.
  • UTMBdreams
    UTMBdreams Posts: 22 Member
    noblsheep wrote: »
    Long post ahead...

Postponed last weekend's long run to Sunday, which meant I was short for November, but will have increased total mileage for this month. Ramping up to marathon training (again) so I'm setting goal at 120km. Other goals: run three times a week, and lift twice, at least.

1201-17k total-17k goal-120k

Yesterday's run was a lesson in the dangers of underfueling, I guess. I had two slices of toast and some coffee at 8am and was ready to go, but familial obligations kept me in the house for another two hours. I had two gels and carried water. Well, I'd not gone 5km before I felt hungry and lightheaded, so I took a gel. Needed the second one at the 9km mark and I started getting a bad feeling about the whole thing. Ended up popping into a convenience store at 14km and eating a mini Snicker's bar (it had been left in the sun and was soupy, but by then I didn't care..)

Legs felt great throughout. Carrying water in a handheld was annoying but doable. I suppose I might need to fiddle with amount of carbs in my diet.

Monthly questions:

Re: races. Longer races I choose mostly based on date. Next year I plan to do a marathon in spring and 1-2 HMs, and the same plus a 50km or so ultra in the autumn. However, work means that I'm busy during very specific times of the year, so I need to work my races around that schedule. Traveling within the country is relatively cheap and easy between most major cities, so half marathons and upward I look up if there are any races for my chosen weekends and choose one that is well-organized, easy to book transportation for, and in a city with good food :D .

For shorter races, I just run whatever local comes up.

Re: cool stuff. Mizuno was having a big sales last week so I bought myself another pair, different color, of my current favorite shoes. I'd forgotten that the last pair had cut into my right heel until I tamed it with a bunch of shorter runs and a lot of rough handling - this one does the same.

0km vs 447km
    bb6qhk1lzhyd.jpg

Re: where I've been and where I'm going.

This year, I finally got my act together around June and had some solid months of training, and it shows. I'm running quite a bit faster and easier than the beginning of the year. I ran a decent half in May and a slightly better than decent 10km in November. For next year, my main goals will be a full in the spring and hopefully a 50km trail later in the year. Which means lots of training during the summer months, again. Gah.

Oh and I'd like to try out rock climbing.

@Teresa502 @ContraryMaryMary Great job!

@Scott6255 @emmamcgarity @Elise4270 Hoping for smooth progress in your recoveries!

This morning I read an article about the mental aspect of rebounding from injury. Although I never think of myself as an "athlete", I think the approach is very interesting and worthy of a read --> link here.

Welcome to everybody new! @greeneggs_and_sam @Christine4695 @dmfaler @UTMBdreams & anyone else I missed.

Thank you for the welcome! :)