December 2019 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    other than finding time, i have no excuses this weekend. it's going to be almost 50f
    in comparison, it was 7f when i got home last night from the studio

this was in my news feed. i like that one of the things it lists for marathon training is to say why you are ready. so many times, we can point out the short comings in our training.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I went to my yearly check up with the sleep medicine doctor today. I have lost about 30 pounds since I was diagnosed with sleep apnea and started using a CPAP machine. I had my doctor order another over night oximetry test to see if I could get off of the machine. It helps, but really is a pain in the you know what. She got the results and said I only went below 90% sat for less than 3 minutes so.....no more CPAP required!!! Yet another reason to continue to run and keep my weight down.

YAY!! Congrats!
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    ixlj0scr8hkw.jpg

@quilteryoyo Thank you! I had him at 41 1/2 years old and I never want to be the old mom, to look like the old mom. I think running helps me stay in shape. My father in law has run hundreds of marathons, one in every state + many many more to include every one in WI. He's been at it for about 40 years. Plus brother in law and sister in law run marathons. I just want little guy to find strength in that somehow. Yes, I do hope he runs but I would never push...
    ...I am so happy for you that you get to dump your CPAP. And woohoo, pretty legs in a cute dress! You rock it lovely lady! You got all kinds of happy blessings going on right now!

@shanaber Thank you so much! He inspires me...he's a Texan born baby but in laws, aunts and uncles from WI make sure he has no shortage of Packers and Brewers gear.
    ...I don't know how it feels to be told you can't do something or that you must cut back, but I know you said it's discouraging and I'm sorry. Life is full of adjustments, I guess, and not always fun. Rest up, re-evaluate and get back on that horse...or sidewalk or trail or track... your determination to keep going is beautiful. It will take someone to tell me to cut back or to stop before I ever would cease doing what brings me pleasure, which says we're headstrong and determined.

@Teresa502 Thank you...

This is a picture of my 17 year old cross country runner. She runs on one of the top teams in central Texas. Smaller meets, these girls rock them all! They win them, a mad rush of red in front to the finish line! Don't stand next to me if you don't like the obnoxious parent because my adrenaline soars and I scream like a freaking maniac. My vocal cords are shot after these meets. These girls are better than rock stars! For bigger meets, they place in the top 3. They were 3rd place out of 39 teams in central Texas last year. She hates the way she scrunches her face up when she runs but I love these pictures and have hundreds of pictures of this champ running over the years.

I used those hand warmers when skiing as a youth. They're nice but I'd invest in nice gloves before I'd ever buy hand warmers again. It doesn't really get that cold here, though. No snow, I can only wish...
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    I used those hand warmers when skiing as a youth. They're nice but I'd invest in nice gloves before I'd ever buy hand warmers again. It doesn't really get that cold here, though. No snow, I can only wish...

Great pic! Even better kiddo! You scream and cheer all you want. Itis great when parents are so invested in their kids.

But it was 9F here this morning... I will keep investing in handwarmers :smiley:
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »

Great pic! Even better kiddo! You scream and cheer all you want. Itis great when parents are so invested in their kids.

But it was 9F here this morning... I will keep investing in handwarmers :smiley:

Awwwwwwww, thank you! I'm dreading the "cold" on 49° days so y'all that get out there in the ice are amazing! Sun is shining today, though, so it doesn't really feel that cold when I'm moving.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Sometimes when shooting wildlife, you really nail the timing, the subject, the location, AND the focus...
    This was not one of those times! :smiley:
    rcl7u9mcearl.jpg

I can tell it's a squirrel. I just can't tell if it's a fox squirrel or a gray squirrel.🦄
  • Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    @LoveyChar You look fabulous girl! Not old at all.
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    Tramboman wrote: »
    Sometimes when shooting wildlife, you really nail the timing, the subject, the location, AND the focus...
    rcl7u9mcearl.jpg

I can tell it's a squirrel. I just can't tell if it's a fox squirrel or a gray squirrel.🦄

This might help...
    pk4p710l851i.jpg
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    rcl7u9mcearl.jpg

This might help...
    pk4p710l851i.jpg

The belly looks a little rusty, so I'll guess fox squirrel.
    Normally, your pictures are good enough to eliminate all doubt.🦌
  • PastorVincent
    Options
    rcl7u9mcearl.jpg

This might help...
    pk4p710l851i.jpg

The belly looks a little rusty, so I'll guess fox squirrel.
    Normally, your pictures are good enough to eliminate all doubt.🦌

Oh, need a side shot?
    smvugs8zvfjk.jpg

This was another one out there, we get alot of both it seems:
    j0dam4kt38ce.jpg

We have a black ones too, but I have yet to capture any.
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    @LoveyChar You look fabulous girl! Not old at all.

Thank you...
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    i guess i'd go with a fox too
    fyi
    urn3xjfkdtro.png
  • BeverlyW1108
    BeverlyW1108 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    PastorVincent - Yeah, You probably won’t!😂
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    I haven’t been posting on here or even reading as much as I thought I would when I retired but I wanted to wish Everyone a Merry Christmas & Happy New Running Year. I’m going to try to get a couple easy runs in when I return from our Christmas Vacation. My Garmin tells me I’ve been Overreaching since December 13 & my VO2 Max has gone from 42 to 40😢 so maybe this long week of rest is needed.🌲🏃🏻‍♀️

Thank you and you too... Also, enjoy your rest...maybe sneak in a few good movies...
  • username301
    username301 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    5k in the rain.

December goals:
    1. Distance ..........110k................65k
    2. Runs.................16....................10
    3. Long distance..13k..................12k
    4. Other ...............10k/1walk.......2
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,443 Member
    Options
    @shanaber so sorry to hear about your knee 😥. I'll bet you can get your HM done using a walk/run interval. Hope it works out.
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    12/01/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 0.0
    12/02/19 :::: 3.0 :::: 3.0
    12/03/19 :::: 3.1 :::: 6.1
    12/04/19 :::: 1.7 :::: 7.8
    12/05/19 :::: 2.6 :::: 10.4
    12/06/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 10.4
    12/07/19 :::: 14.6 :::: 25.0
    12/08/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 25.0
    12/09/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 25.0
    12/10/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 25.0
    12/11/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 25.0
    12/12/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 25.0
    12/13/19 :::: 3.0 :::: 28.0
    12/14/19 :::: 3.2 :::: 31.2
    12/15/19 :::: 6.4 :::: 37.6
    12/16/19 :::: 3.6 :::: 41.1
    12/17/19 :::: 0.0 :::: 41.1
    12/18/19 :::: 1.5 :::: 42.6
    12/19/19 :::: 3.0 :::: 45.6

I did some stretching at the gym again this morning. I decided to try out the treadmill again and do at least 15 minutes. That felt okay so I kept going at an easy pace to get to 3 miles.

Then I had a fabulous massage. I've been to this massage therapist a number of times so she knows me and she really identified the sore spots and worked on them, and stretched things out. Not only my lower back but she worked on my IT bands a lot, which I have decided are probably the underlying problem. Well, really I think the underlying problem might have been my shoes, and then sore/tight IT bands and hamstrings, and then the back issue. So I definitely need to be working on these issues to prevent a worse injury.

@shanaber, I'm really sorry to hear your news about your knee. I'm always reluctant to believe pronouncements like you should never run long again. but if you feel like that is a good medical opinion in your case, I hope you can keep enjoying shorter runs, walk/run or whatever feels good to you.

@PastorVincent hope your neck is okay. Neck pain is awful.

@quilteryoyo fabulous news on not needing CPAP any longer. Well done on your positive health changes!
  • quilteryoyo
    quilteryoyo Posts: 5,977 Member
    Options
    Thanks @LoveyChar . I am blessed right now. Just found out tonight I'm having my 5th great-grand baby in May. It's a boy. (Step great grandkids. My husband was a lot older than me. We never had kids of our own because of that, but I am close to his family.) Glad your son will grow up with all of that athleticism around him. Then, he can choose what he wants to do, but at least he'll know that exercise is important.