WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR DECEMBER 2019

Options

Replies

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,336 Member
    Options
    Hi folks. Life has been hectic this last week. Lots to do for Christmas and still have some groups to finish up for the holiday. I will read when I can but may not hav etime for comments.

🎄🤶 Gratitude for Christmas 🎅🏻🎄
    #1, 15 Nov: Scents: loved the smell of the roses I put into my Floral arrangement
    #2, 16 Nov:Technology: Glad that I had my car and didn’t have to stand in the cold waiting for a bus
    #3, 17 Nov: Colour: the colour of the beautiful sunset as I walked home in the late afternoon
    z8iz97lle1ip.jpg
    #4, 18 Nov: Food: Fresh produce form my own garden ..... or ....... Chocolate! 🍫 My ultimate comfort food.
    #5, 19 Nov: Sound: I'm grateful for the sound of DH moving about downstairs. It's very comforting.
    #6, 20 Nov: In Nature: I love the view of the night sky from my bedroom window on clear nights.
    #7, 21 Nov: Memory: This triggered a veritable avalanche of memories of my life, the happy moments crowding out the less pleasant ones. So... the memory I am most grateful for is my own selective memory, which chooses to focus on the positives, and reframe the negatives as learning experiences.
    #8, 22 Nov: Book: "Unlimited Power" by Tony Robbins. This book was a revelation to me and showed me that I was in charge of my life. It was pretty scary at first to accept responsibility for all my actions and decisions. It was no longer possible for me to blame others or make excuses. But it was such a positive turning point in my life. I revisit it often.
    #9, 23 Nov - Place: the place I am most grateful for is the quiet place in my head where I go when I meditate.
    #10, 24 Nov - Taste: Today grandson had made an experimental mulled wine drizzle cake. I was grateful that it tasted so good, (not all of his experiments turn out so well 😂) Fortunately, I always hold calories for my Sunday visit, so was able to fully enjoy his delightful concoction (NB: lemon drizzle cake is one of my favourites)
    #11, 25 Nov - Holiday: I love my annual week's family holiday on the West coast of Ireland with our DED and the grands. This year was our 24th year of these holidays. We started them with my DMiL when our granddaughter was just 8 months old. I am grateful that all 3 grands still want to come on these holidays with us.
    #12, 25 Nov, Texture: I love the feel of fresh soft fluffy towels after my shower.
    #13, 26 Nov, Abilities: I treasure my ability to be adaptable, and look for the positive in situations.
    #14, 27 Nov, Sight: I appreciate the sight of my husband bringing my tea in bed each morning. It means I can take my time waking up.
    #15, 28 Nov, Season: All the season's have their good points' but the spring is my favourite because it heralds the end of winter and the lengthening of daylight hours.
    #16, 29 Nov: I'm grateful that bones are strong. I have been very fortunate in that I have never had a broken bone. Long may that continue.
    #17, 30 Nov, Knowledge: I'm grateful the self-knowledge I have gained on this health and fitness journey. Now all I have to do is apply it! 😂
    #18, 1 Dec, Piece of art: Not sure why but found this one difficult. Settled on this. It a fire screen that my Nana embroidered. It sat in front of the fire in her sitting room. I rescued it when my aunt was about to throw it away after redecorating her apartment after my uncle had been taken into residential care with Alzheimer's. It means more to me than all the fancy paintings in the world.
    #19, 2 Dec, Touch: This morning I am so grateful for DH's hand on my shoulder when he woke me with my morning cuppa. He is the wind beneath my wings. In light the two bereavement last weekend, I am especially conscious of the fact that many of my contemporaries don't have that luxury.
    #20, 3 Dec, Person: I am most grateful for my DH. He puts up with all my foibles, and shows his affections in so many different ways. And he keeps me on an even keel. I'm fortunate that I have him in my life.
    #21, 4 Dec, Song: There are so many songs that I love. But 2 that I regard as my anthems are
    Girls just wanna have fun, Cindi Lauper which always has me up and dancing Tubthumping, Chumbawamba which has seen me through some down times #22, 5 Dec - Story: The first one that sprung to mind was "It's a Wonderful Life". I saw the film starring James Stewart as a child, and loved it. The second one that came to mind was "A Christmas Carol" by Charles Dickens.
    #23, 6 Dec - Tradition: I'm grateful for our family tradition of all getting together at various times during the year, especially Christmas.
    #24, 7 Dec - Challenge: I'm grateful for several. The 'Just for today daily goals' Challenge focuses my mind daily on what I want to achieve, and the Ultimate Accountability Challenge has helped me build good habits.

Hope you are all having a fun weekend.

☘️ Terri
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,140 Member
    Options
    auntiebk wrote: »
    pip :heart: pooch pics. Happy tradition/Seattle weekend. Hope it's dry for the Jingle Bell run. Safe travels.
    Machka it was completely dark here by 4:45, really makes the lights beautiful. But if I had a choice, I'd choose longer daylight year 'round ;) Thanks for the Salamanca info, was intrigued. A pillow fixed sore shoulder and arm? Hmm! Food for thought!
    Barbara

I'm a side sleeper, so I need a pillow that fills the area between the bed and my head, keeping my spine in alignment. My old pillow did that, but after 6 years it lost a lot of it's support. I tried a number of things to give it more support and raise it up a tiny bit, and those things worked for a while, but then gradually stopped working.

2 nights with the new pillow, and I'm still happy ... waking up with a much less painful shoulder and arm!

Machka in Oz
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Recd my pictures back from the gal that lives in my childhood home. I was a little nervous I wouldn't get them back, but I had to trust the situation that I would.👍. She's built a nice pole barn to house her boat and vintage motor home. She sent me a nice letter, and its warms my heart about the whole situation.💖
    Its crazy that I am such friends with her being so far away, but my sister that lives right next door to her hasn't done anything, or seen the inside of the home. Different personalities, and circumstances I suppose. I am happy I can pretty much become friends with most every one!
    My sister in Montana always telling me to just up about telling everyone that I was from Whidbey island, and yaking about my life story. But my conversation with the library ladies resulted in a couple of my sisters artwork being sold. Being friendly does pay off!
    💖Rebecca
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    edited December 2019
    Options
    Oh how I have missed all of you and your sweet thoughts and prayers. My back is still stiff but it is still all together. But I do appreciate the good wishes.
    Janetr and Beth- no pictures yet as we are not doing as much this year as far as decorating. We are hoping to go to Colorado for Christmas if the weather cooperates. We will drive and take our puppy.
    Rori- hope for a two day window so we can get there!
    LPT- I live in Texas. Where is your child?
    Carol- it made me sad that none of your family remembered your birthday. For Christmas give them a calendar with all your family birthdays highlighted. Just saying....
    Battery going....
    SueBDew in TX
  • LuciBThinner
    LuciBThinner Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Janet Great news that your daughter has gone for help! I’m so relieved she is under watch! I hope you can get some rest knowing they are watching her! You must be exhausted!

Pip Wonderful pictures!! Hope you are having a wonderful time!

Suzi Sounds like you are doing great with your weight loss!! Love the new cut! I have been having trouble with the in between sizes, too. I’ve been picking up clothes at thrift stores and on the cyber deals to have something to keep me while I lose my last 12 pounds.

I think I left off at #16? I am grateful for:
    My body: My “bionic” foot which is much better than a prosthetic.

Knowledge: Wisdom gained from making many mistakes over the years and (hopefully) learning from them. There are definite advantages to this older age thing – no more time wasted on worrying what everyone else is thinking about me!

Art: Classical Music – I hope to always have the memories which are tied to performing most every familiar piece

Touch: Hugs of family and friends…nothing better!

Who: Everyone I have ever known. They have all contributed to who I am

Song: So difficult!! I have very deeply seeded heart tugs to Gymnopedie No 1 by Erik Satie, also the Brahms Symphonies – my Momma’s favorite

Story: All of the Dr. Suess books that I read with my Momma when I was a little girl (and I plan to read to DGD as soon as she will listen!)

Tradition: Traveling with family as a child. Most of my great childhood memories were on camping trips with my family

Challenge: Honestly, working through my marriage. I have grown and feel I am a much better person in almost every way than I was 25 years ago.

Moment this week: Sitting on the front deck on a gorgeous day listening to the birds chirping and feeling the breeze on my skin.

SueBDew So good to hear more from you! Hope your back continues to improve quickly! Prayers continue!

Amber Love the tall tree! Looking forward to seeing the decorations

Allie So sorry to hear about your fall!!! I hate when that happens. I was just looking at photos from when I last “face planted”. So much harder to fall after 30!

<3 Luci in WNC
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Recd my pictures back from the gal that lives in my childhood home. I was a little nervous I wouldn't get them back, but I had to trust the situation that I would.👍. She's built a nice pole barn to house her boat and vintage motor home. She sent me a nice letter, and its warms my heart about the whole situation.💖
    Its crazy that I am such friends with her being so far away, but my sister that lives right next door to her hasn't done anything, or seen the inside of the home. Different personalities, and circumstances I suppose. I am happy I can pretty much become friends with most every one!
    My sister in Montana always telling me to just up about telling everyone that I was from Whidbey island, and yaking about my life story. But my conversation with the library ladies resulted in a couple of my sisters artwork being sold. Being friendly does pay off!
    💖Rebecca

You have a gift for friendliness.🌹🌹
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Allie: Keeping my fingers crossed for your dream job. :flowerforyou:

Lisa: It sounds like you are doing exactly what you’re meant to do. I know you are committed and good at the job. Yay!!! :star:

(((Carol in GA)))

(((Janetr)))

Beth: Your trees sound perfect for you. :star:

I love Christmas trees. I usually have multiple Christmas trees and most of them are artificial. The main one is a living tree that has been in our house during the Christmas season for several years now. It is an Alberta Spruce and seems to manage moving in and out of the house each Christmas season and surviving! In addition, I have group (forest?) of artificial trees that are quite small. I put them on furniture, counters and the piano. I have a music box Christmas tree that was a gift from my grandmother MANY years ago. I was about 8. The original disintegrated and the music box bottom was all that was worthwhile. I’ve replaced the original tree with a another artificial tree.. It holds up well, is the right size and makes a good table centerpiece.

My daughter sent me a wish-list for Christmas gifts—and she wants books for the whole family. I love the idea. I’ll be haunting Powell’s Books in Portland.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • SuziCart
    SuziCart Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I had a good Mexican meal last night at one of favorite restaurants. I stayed within my calories that I wanted to use for the day, even with 1 light beer. The carbs were not good though.
    Today was a total bust. I spent the day wrapping Christmas gifts and and forgot to eat. I was so hungry that I reached for the cookies that are in the jar for my hubby. It all went to hell in a hand basket after that. (whatever that means?) I made homemade chicken noodle soup and managed to not binge through the evening. Tomorrow is another day and I plan to do something, anything, for exercise in the afternoon.
    We got a cute little baby boxer puppy. Our old buddy boxer/lab had to be put down in the spring and our little Malti Pom (Jazi) missed him terribly. They cuddled together, ate together. She stopped eating and became really depressed after he was gone. We weren't going to get another dog, but my DH just saw these puppies and couldn't resist. Our little dog is not very happy with the new pup, but I know later she will be happy to have a new friend and companion. Not too crazy about going through the puppy training, but she really is a sweet puppy and she will walk with me outside when the weather is good. I missed our other big dog a lot when I wanted to walk outside. We live in the mountains and the dog made me feel a little safer when I walked or jogged outside.
    Happy Weekend and Restful Sunday tomorrow to you.

• Machka9
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Do you know that one doctor cancelled an appointment that I need to have for next year because, of course, by then the insurance that I have will be over and Medicare will take over. So instead of asking me, they just arbitrarily cancelled my appointment. This medical practice is being taken over by this group so the practice is closed until Monday. On Tuesday I plan to call and complain that my appt was cancelled without them talking to me. I know nothing’s going to get done, they’ll probably reinstate my appt. But it’ll make me feel good to chew them out for cancelling an appointment

Michele in NC

Just remember that it isn't likely the decision of the person you'll talk to on the phone.

I find it usually works better to ring up and be friendly and understanding, especially at first. :)

This is a promotion frequently played on TV: http://noonedeservesaserve.com.au/

• Machka9
    Options
    Sunday -- We got outside for a bicycle ride!

Distance: 20.15 km
    Moving Time: 1:26:03
    Elevation: 204 m

Machka in Oz
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    So interesting evening..
    The posse went out to a high end steakhouse,to celebrate there 3 birthdays. Well I got out of the car and went onto the sidewalk and fell flat on my face..bruised my right hand.but think my boobs saved me from cracking my noggin..after I got home am now in bed and took 3 tylenol, I'll be a hurtin puppy tomorrow

Oh, Allie. I hope you iced yourself up when you got home. Frozen peas are the best for an ice bag. I hope it's not as bad as it sounds!
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Day 24 - December 8
    I am grateful for the challenge, and ability, to learn new things.
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    200}# mastiff, on our walk

#ThatsABigDog
    #ThinkofthePoops
    #LOLOLOLOLOL

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Janetr I'm so glad your daughter is safe for now. I don't expect anyone to remember, but like some others on this thread, my family has been rocked by mental illness, suicide, attempted suicide, breaks with reality, personality disorders, etc. It's nearly impossible for depressed people to believe they will ever feel better. It's an amazing show of strength that your daughter went to the hospital alone and waited until she got help. I can only imagine what she had to overcome to accomplish that. (((Hugs)))

Karen in Virginia
  • klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    <3 Strength and healing thoughts go out to those struggling right now

NYKAREN