WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2020

Options

Replies

• Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    2020-you have come to the Right place.Theres an abundance of love,compassion,friendship,and support here.You don’t have to comment on everything,just jump in when you feel compelled.No judgement here 😊
    Debby in Va
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    @buzzcogs Welcome!

@machka9
    Machka9 wrote: »
    They would like to stop paying as soon as possible. They tried a couple times in Oct/Nov. No! Sorry, that was a funny one!! No, there are no inheritances available!! My parents' money and property is theirs and they'll likely need it as they get older. Northern Tassie.
    thanks for explaining. Life (and death) comes in many colours.

@SUziQ113, being in academia, a teaching in 3 schools with 14 classes and some hundreds of students this semester, and legal things going on is enough of a reason to have so many files. And France is particularly known for being excessive in paperwork. The legal case(s) really bogged me down, as has the thesis work. I don't have that many momenos at all, and they don't bother me as they are tucked away and don't need to be revisited unless I want to. In legal cases lots needs to be kept just in case. But if I can toss half, I still need to go through it to toss half. If I had known I'd have legal issues I'd never have started the thesis I guess - I mean legal issues that came up in 2015 were lightyears from my thoughts in 2013. Managing both is almost impossible. And I'm also involved in some union stuff (more paper), though I've opted out from any official position till end of 2020, if not forever. I also have 2 tiny rental "student studettes" (they are bought on credit and the rent pays the mortgage till I'm 62 and 65.). Thank goodness they are going well, and I'm used to running them. They go quite smoothly for the most part (sometimes things to repair and damage issues to sort out but I get a good deposit and good co-signers and just follow the law which is pretty specific on all fronts. It takes times but doesn't confuse me much. I usually don't explain all the above since over busy-ness (or excess of paper) is common and tedious. Good idea to do some while watching videos or TV. Some takes some focus and some not so much. Some of it stresses me out, since some of it reminds me of stressful legal issues. Nice to read that the meditarian diet is still number one. It's not that hard to follow.

@ginnytez thanks for the work explanation. I would agree with your son about doing the back and forth for now if you can. of course AZ is more attractive to most in the winter, not so much in the heat of the summer. I totally agree with exermom about renting first. I knew this British guy who moved from Hongkong to very rural France and said if had had to do over again he'd have rented for a year before moving there.

@auntiebk No! Quicken is not useable in Europe. So many things are not accessible intercontinentally of late, since about 2011 or so, it's been worse and worse, year by year. It's partly security issues. Thanks for the well wishes. I'm so sorry about your hip. Take good care of yourself and get the rest you need. Was it pleasant being at the line dance even for the social part, if you had to sit much of it out, or was that more of a bummer to be there?

@Katla49 thanks, I wish you courage too, then.

NO GIFTS
    I didn't plan this this xmas but due to the transport strikes I spent xmas with some old dance buddies that I've known for about 10 years rather than some closer friends that live a bit too far for a round trip on xmas eve (xmas is mainly celebrated on xmas eve here). I've also had a few xmases with the dance buddies some years ago, and we did random gift exchanges (bring a little gift, take a gift). I have not totally relaxed memories of these exchanges: was the gift I gave good enough, did I like what I got, was someone jealous because the gift I got was better than another, etc. This time NOONE suggested or surprised with gifts and it was GREAT! I thought of bringing a surprise little gift of tiny top quality chocolate and another little thing for each (we were not very numerous), but I think it was actually better as it was, very balanced with the nothing all around. We all enjoyed it and felt very at ease, I'm pretty sure. who knew it could be so joyful to give and get nothing? We brought simple nice not-very-heavy-it turns-out food we liked, sipped sparkling wine, chatted, nibbled, danced on and off all evening, as it inspired one, two, three or four of us at any moment of the meal or evening, and hugged goodbye. A bit too much disco for my taste (they have always seemed to like disco type music here more than anyplace I've hung out - go figure) but it was no skin off my back to adapt to the music !!!

I did get 15 minutes cleaning today and corrected a classes worth of papers (maybe 2-3 hours) and sent a mail to students regarding upcoming schedule. I went to a café to correct papers and that was ok. In the middle I got this thing that is common here: 3 mini-desserts, like quarter cup size desserts, maybe & quarter cup of chocolat mousse, a quarter cup of creme brulé and a quarter cup of fruit salad. It kind of hit the spot. Back home lean meat, broccoli purée and salad w vinagrette and toast with olive oil and salt. (my recent evening treat.

I set my calories for 900 but add on exercise and go over. Weird, but it makes it so I can have splurges. I did WW online for 3 months or so, about 10 years ago, and the splurges were absolutely key to the philosophy for most of us. Top notch years-long maintainers would have their chocolate cake or whatever 1 or 2 x a week.

NET calories: 1126 average over 4 days

good to have been tracking food and also money.
    my new computer stinks. I'm gonna return it tomorrow. it's carpy. bad trackpad and bad screen and it's slow and sticks. :#:/

Have a good day.
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,121 Member
    Options
    I got my little teddyboo's face trimmed some. He would get his chin wet drinking. I will try some toenails tomorrow- they have gotten really bad. I used to be so much better at his grooming. Seems like he wiggles more every year.
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Carol-I am Truly sorry to hear about your baby!!We have 2and will be devastated when something happens to them.I know with out a doubt you have given him a wonderful life and will continue to do so until his day arrives.My heart goes to you and him❤️❤️
    Debby in Va
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,300 Member
    Options
    Carol - so, so sorry! Hugs!!

Okie
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,736 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Okie: Regarding Christmas gifts: I asked my kids for photos. It was brilliant. No space hogging stuff, and photos of those we love the most. Win for everyone! :bigsmile:

Pip and bike enthusiasts: We loved to ride bikes together, but that became progressively harder because of DH’s MS. We bought 2 Terra Tykes from a Portland bike shop and were able to enjoy them for a long time. Gradually, DH was unable to pedal his terra tryke. It is possible to have a motor installed but DH hasn’t been motivated to do that yet so they sit in the garage.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

geez, reading that brought me to tears.... I'm so glad I do the MS ride every year for your husband
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,397 Member
    Options
    Lisa – hope you feel better fast. A decongestant usually works for me when I get a sinus headache or feel one coming on

M – my inhaler cost me $10. But that’s probably the price after insurance. I would have no idea how much money to give her. Taka said that they don’t have insurance and her inhaler cost $80. Admitted, it may not be the exact same one, but it’s probably pretty close in cost. Really, if it were $10, I’d give her the money. But $80? I don’t think so…not to someone I really don’t know

Speaking of gifts: I honestly don’t know if I should continue to send Denise and Pete a gift now that I’m buying for PJ. What does everyone else do? Do you buy a gift for your child, their spouse, and their child/children? I’m leaning more and more to not giving them gifts, only PJ. Or maybe just a gift certificate to her and Pete and then things for PJ? But his “toys” are going to get expensive, so on one hand it might be good to not get in the habit of giving them something. What does everyone else do?

Welcome everyone new and those returning.

Carol – oh hun, my heart is breaking for you. But I know you’ll give the Pom much love and that’s what’s best

Lynette just called, we’re going to meet them at Ruby Tuesday’s. To be honest, I like to go to different restaurants, but I know she likes RT.

Michele NC
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day:

apple watch only-
    stairclimber- 15min, 948stepts, lvl6-7, 58floors= 137c
    helix machine- 20min, lvl 7-8, 2.34mi= 169c
    jump, single/sideways- 20min= 221c
    arm/chin up assist w/2floor exercises in btwn- 3sets of 10each, 70#assist- 9min= 107c
    outside walking w/yogi kickball- 30min, .95mi= 120c

total cal 754
  • teklawa1
    teklawa1 Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    (((Carol))) so sad for your news on your Pom. Such a hard decision to make but the one I would also make.

Betsy in NW WA
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    I agree with advice to rent before buying. We are even talking about whether I should rent Ohio house for a time.

@fanncy0626 -just have to laugh --just spent Christmas in Goodyear! It does seem to be a fairly self-contained community so not real need to hit interstates, and perhaps when the new one is finished (202 or 101 I think) it may take pressure off the 10). Luckily I have time to consider all of my options. The cold does bother me more each year.

Ginny in Ohio
  • pipcd34
    Options
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    I have been crying off and on all day! We took the Pom to the vet yesterday because he kept throwing up and loose poops for the second time in a couple of weeks. After getting him checked out and dosed up, we had to accept the fact that he has Cushings disease (which the vet has suspected for a long time). At 10+ yrs we could spend a bunch of money and it would only keep him going for maybe another year or so. We have decided to give him as much love and care as we can. When his quality of life is noticeably being affected, we will let him go. :'(

Carol in GA

I'm so very sorry...... that's what we did for Bullwinkle and Floyd... just love your pooch as much as you can right now.. you will know in your heart when it's time.. when we found out about our kids, all bets were off, we gave them whatever they wanted, table food, (which is something we don't usually give the kids).
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,300 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Speaking of gifts: I honestly don’t know if I should continue to send Denise and Pete a gift now that I’m buying for PJ. What does everyone else do? Do you buy a gift for your child, their spouse, and their child/children? I’m leaning more and more to not giving them gifts, only PJ. Or maybe just a gift certificate to her and Pete and then things for PJ? But his “toys” are going to get expensive, so on one hand it might be good to not get in the habit of giving them something. What does everyone else do?

Michele NC

You should give gifts to the people that you want to give gifts to.

My father got gifts for my brother, hubs and I until he died. He also got a gift for my nephew (brothers son). When we all spent Christmas as a family, we got gifts for all who attended. If someone brought a friend (not a significant other, just a friend that didn't have anywhere else to go for Christmas day), my mom and I generally got them a generic gift like bath products for a girl or a pocket knife for a boy so they had something to open. They wouldn't have as much as family members, but they would have something. After my Mom moved away with her husband, we decided not to ship gifts to each other but instead to spend the money we would have spent on each other to help those less fortunate have a better holiday. That could be done in whatever way the giver wanted. I tend to send her a plant or something like that just before Christmas. This year it was a living very small Christmas tree with decorations already on it. They are going to plant it outside their apt.

It feels like you want permission to not buy gifts for Pete and Denise. You don't need permission. If you don't want to, don't. It is really that simple (and that complicated). From what you have told us about Denise, I would expect her to be very upset that you don't buy her gifts anymore and you need to be prepared for that.

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    Carol - so sorry to hear about your sweet pupster. Sending great big hugs your way. <3

Kate - before I forget, thank you for the photos you took in Spain! You know I go with you vicariously. :D

Ginny - renting before buying sounds like a good idea and Barbie had a very wise take on it regarding moving to be next to kids. Renting your house sounds like a good idea - I can't remember, do you have pets you'd have to bring along?

Having a good day, got lots done. Walk in, SWSY done, a little decluttering. And DH has decided he wants to start eating "normal" food (spaghetti & meatballs!) after a solid month of Foster Farms Crispy Chicken strips and french fries for supper. With a McDonald's burger thrown in from time to time. Sigh. Hubsters. B)

OK ladies, make it a wonderful weekend! <3

Lanette
    Rainy SW WA State