WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JANUARY 2020

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,356 Member
    Options
    Lanette - I like the $75 annually, but what happens if you need to go to a dentist and there isn't one in network near where you are? You have to pay the full amount I assume. Do they reimburse you a percentage?

Michele in NC
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Lynette - what is the percentage of what the dental insurance will pay?

Michele NC

I think it's 50%. I not that sure it's a good deal considering how much the premiums are. I am stuck with it for 8 more months then might just go with the dentist's plan.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,361 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Lanette - I like the $75 annually, but what happens if you need to go to a dentist and there isn't one in network near where you are? You have to pay the full amount I assume. Do they reimburse you a percentage?

Michele in NC

I think it's Tina with the $75 annual premium. Yes, I would like to hear more about that. There is also a "discount" dentist in our town that Teamsters referred people to, never any co-pays. Since I retired, that's no longer an option for me.

Re my Delta Dental plan, just about every dentist in the state takes it.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Lanette: I’ve been using liquid stevia in my coffee for a long time. I do not use any form of stevia in food preparation. If a recipe calls for sugar, I use sugar. Baking sweet treats is rare for me, but we splurge once in a while. :flowerforyou:

Sharon near Seattle: Our winter has been very mild so far. We haven’t had any snow, nor a hard frost. There was a light frost once last fall. I tucked a miniature rosebush and fuchsias under my rhododendrons for protection. The rose bush has new blossoms on it. :bigsmile:

Michele: I’ve been able to knit and crochet for many years, but I couldn’t tell anyone how I do it. Is there a yarn shop or knitting shop near you? There are some great tutorials on the net, Here is one:
    HOW TO CROCHET FOR ABSOLUTE BEGINNERS | UK ...
    https://www.youtube.com › watch

I’ve been watching weather news on TV and am glad to be in my damp and rainy state, and out of the way of fierce storms. Rain is one thing, accompanied by high winds it is really scary and tends to cause a lot of damage. Sending good thoughts to anyone in danger's way.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,841 Member
    Options
    <3
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Lol Annie- Yeah same here I taught Dad computers to IPad (Daughter helped too). We taught him tracphone to answering machines. Not easy. Easiest solution New phone for your Dad too. If turning it off placing card in back on doesn’t work that’s your last hope.

Hubby announced he ordered pizza,chicken wings,y more . Hate it because my calories are spent of course I’d love a piece too or half a piece even. Got 100cal left might have enough for 1/3rd slice but is it even worth it. Might eat a fudge Sugarfree pop instead. Whatever I do can’t eat 1 full slice. Maybe tomorrow a full slice but not tonight.

Sore back y legs from exercise y yesterday. Got 1 Tupperware in garage almost full. My cell phone not allowing me to get pictures from JRs birthday to Christmas!! No I’m the only one with them! Thinking email them get put on flash drive.

Amber Tx
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,576 Member
    Options
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    Machka - I was going to comment on the Hoka shoe photo you posted a couple days ago. I have those exact ones, same color and everything. Wasn't too tickled with them to begin with as I was looking for something more waterproof, but I've sprayed them with the waterproofing spray which does an OK job as long as it's not raining and I don't splash through puddles. Wet pavement, no problem. The orthotics fit fine in them. Yes, quite expensive over here as well so hope these hold up for a long time.

Lanette
    SW WA State

I have a pair of the Hoka road running shoes which I really like so the trail shoes seem a natural choice if I want to start running more trails. :) I hadn't thought about waterproofness, but then the trails around here are sandy so if it rains, it soaks right in and if it puddles that's been enough rain I'm not out running!

I just have to decide how much I want to run trails to justify the shoes!

Machka in Oz
  • sh0tzz99
    sh0tzz99 Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Yes, the Aetna plan is good only at dentists who accept it, but it's significant. So, you'd need to call your dentist to ask if they accept it AND call the plan and confirm with them. I had a full consultation, full xrays, and a cleaning and it was half what I would have paid full price about about 30% cheaper than with insurance.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    😴
  • Lilylady3k
    Lilylady3k Posts: 3,814 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    sh0tzz99 wrote: »
    LilyLady - Thank you for the resources! Those should be really helpful.

Tina in CA

Wonderful that you've had the opportunity to try so many languages! In Texas (like southern California) we often get the chance to listen to people speaking Spanish or jump right in an test our conversation skills but I'm not comfortable yet.
    Running! Congrats! Yes stay away from those measly colds ... I had one in Nov-Dec for 3-4 weeks and it was miserable (even with meds from the doc).

Reading through the last few days of posts trying to catch up. Looks like there are many here that have tackled a different language. I'm impressed with those that disclosed knowing many! I'm in awe.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    @Snowflake1968 … Tracey, welcome back! Nice to see my Edmonton connection back here again. 😊

@christinarayburn3 … another Canadian! Yay! I was born in Canada and lived there for the first 40-ish years of my life. I am still diligently dyeing my hair … not ready to “salt & pepper” yet.

@spygirl2017 … Caroline, are you thinking of getting into trail running too? I did a bit of it in late 2018 and enjoyed it.

@MsGetnSexyBack … is there a particular exercise you like doing? And then, is there a type of goal within that exercise? Like for example, in the cycling world, there are “Centuries – 100 miles in one day”, and in the running world there are half marathons and marathons, etc. I find that type of thing motivating.

@buzzcogs … what are one or two good habits you’d like to start?

@2020goLizgo … with your treadmill workouts, are you training for something or just keeping fit?

@knitski2002 … do you ski as well as your husband? Cross country or downhill?

@ple79 … Pam, keep posting. You’ve successfully done it a few times now.

@jsophiethomas … competitive sailing or touring sailing? If you try cycling, be sure to get the bicycle set up properly for you otherwise it could be painful.

@carolpa1 … what are some of your favourite activities? What keeps you busy and away from food? 😊

@FunUsername … what a fun username! Yes, take care of yourself. That’s a good idea.

Machka ... the Canadian/Australia in Oz

Ladies ... just jump right in wherever and whenever you feel comfortable. :)

• Machka9
    Options
    @Machka9 Cool, another Canuk in Auz! One of my closest friends from Canada has been living outside Melbourne for 20+ years. Are you close to any fires? There are lots of groups raising funds here to support various wildlife groups in Australia. Thanks again for the welcome :)

I lived NW of Melbourne for the first few years I was here, so I'm familiar with that area too. :)

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Lilylady3k wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    @Lilylady3k … what kind of cycling do you like? Learning Spanish is a great goal. If you’ve ever learned Latin or French, Spanish comes relatively naturally. I have taken one Spanish course and didn’t have any trouble with it because it reminded me of French, but easier than French. I see you’re teaching English … I was actually pursuing options to teach English overseas when all of a sudden I was taking my Bachelor of Education. Part of me would still like to teach English somewhere.
    @Machka9 - I have a recumbent bike with various options (electronic) in my home + I have a bike for riding the neighborhoods :) Nothing for long distances like my husband's trainer bike inside or his 20mph biking outside! I like a leisurely pace.
    I took French in HS many moons ago. I'm picking up Spanish but it would be much better if I could immerse myself or at least practice talking more.
    Teaching English has been fun! All the adults I'm teaching are well educated just moved here for family or other reasons. At the church we have foundation + 4 levels. I'm teaching level 2 where they know vocabulary but need practice talking and getting the verbs, grammar, contractions right. I'm in no way an English teacher or ever been in education but the program materials (teacher, student, activity books) are terrific. It gives me an alternative plan ... learning to teach English ... I might be able to travel and teach in one of the programs that my friends have pursued in Europe. :) I recommend it for a volunteer job or to pay for expenses when wanting to travel abroad since they house you, feed you and pay you!

My mother has an indoor recumbent too. :)

My husband and I met cycling, so it's an important part of our lives. We've got trainer bicycles and use Zwift when we ride inside, and we cycle outside when we can. :)

It's possible one day I might get into teaching English too. :)

Machka in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,576 Member
    Options
    Iuuuuu
  • Machka9
    Options
    ginnytez wrote: »
    Okie-I usually have tp on hand. Typically just me in the house, but I will pick up a new stash when I put the next to the last roll on. In all the business getting ready to go to Arizona for Christmas, I overlooked it. Went to store first thing this am!

Very busy today. Put my word for the year-finish-into action. Instead of leaving one thing to move on to another, finished up each task before moving on to the next. Got a lot accomplished, including treadmill and stretches.

One of my items finished today was the drawers that go under the bed my kids got me. As I was looking at the directions-the pictures that tell you want you need to put things together-I noticed the picture clearly showed two men needed. I couldn't help but laugh. This 65 year old put the bed and drawers together with no help. I found myself wonder if that meant it takes two men to equal one woman?! I guess I just have a sick sense of humor but I am glad I am in good enough shape to handle most things around here that I want done.

Time for tea and going to watch second half of football game in bed.

Ginny in Ohio

I have tried the 15 minutes of this, 15 minutes of that method and occasionally it works if I don't have much to do in each category, but I've found that if I start working on something and finish it, that works a lot better for me ... and gives me a sense of satisfaction when I finish.

The newsletter I worked on yesterday was like that. I just kept plugging away at it all day yesterday, learned more about the Wordpress program my cycling club uses, and got it done! If I had done it in bits and pieces I think I would have spent more time figuring out where I left off than actually doing the work.

So I tend to plan things in blocks now ... either 2-hour blocks or whole evening/day blocks.

Well done on finishing the bed!! :grin:

Machka in Oz