Love Heather UK XXXXXX
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options

Hi Gals,

Machka
    Whats this ?
    gut5zjo7uev0.png

It looks to me like a pig crossed with a bear.

Lisa – I think you have mentioned your “love” of camping before, doesn’t surprise me that there are office/management staff who get how good it can be for kids but not want it themselves. I do love to camp and have enough gear to be comfortable. Tent, quality pad, sleeping bag and the cooking gear. As for homelessness, I agree; one of my biggest groundless fears is becoming homeless, I can tell you how I would make it work in the town I live in now, I even know which office building has a shower in the second floor ladies room. And truly I have no reason to worry – unless it was a massive earthquake, and then I have folks who would take me in. Just one of those weird worries.

It is really rainy and cold for us it’s 42 at 12:30pm the weather channel says it feels like 38 and that is often the low of the day with the warmer temp being 50-55. My house is cooler than I would like, but I’m powering through

Kim from N. California

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,215 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Camping - ugh. :sad: As someone who has to get up three or four times a night for a pee, camping is definitely out. :# I used to camp as a teenager with my parents and when I was first married, in my twenties. I even camped for a month for my honeymoon in Brittany, France. From financial necessity, not choice! But my bladder now makes it impossible, even if I wanted to, which I don't. :noway:
    I have done "glamping" in Africa and India, but they were huge tents with a proper bed and built in toilets and bathrooms. :D:D:D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,046 Member
    Options
    My tent accommodates a queen size mattress. I have three inches of foam topped with an inch of sheepskin. I can't carry it very far but it is great to sleep on. I didn't go camping last year though. Boyfriend issues.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,346 Member
    Options
    Of course, no exercise today. The plan for tomorrow is to take the water class. Then the soup kitchen

Rori – your compassion and understanding never ceases to amaze me. I only hope and pray that I’m like you if ever it is needed, and I hope not.

Barbara – that’s OK if you don’t want to hug me. I know that you’d like to but circumstances make it “hard” You can keep your snow!

Yesterday and today I’m freezing cold. I’m sure it’s because I’ve lost so much liquid. It’s in the 60’s, yet yesterday I went to bed wearing a sweater

Carol – Jess got a reduced insurance rate when she was in St. Kitts and her car was in our driveway, not being driven (except to get the oil changed <we had to have someone else drive it> and taking it around the block just to keep the oil lubricated.

NYKaren – that stinks for your sister, but I do hope she takes the retirement. How old is your sister?

Kylia – prayer’s for your friend’s daughter. There’s probably a silver lining to your mouth burning – you aren’t tempted to eat….lol Feel better fast

Tomorrow night we’re supposed to go see “Crimes of the Heart” at the Green Room. Really, Vince wanted to see the “Odd Couple” there, but we’ll be in FL when it’s showing. At least in FL I’ll get to see “Menopause the Musical”

Lisa AR – I can’t get over how gorgeous your bowl is. What kind of paint do you use?

Well, I’m home. Looks like I’m on the 5 year plan. The prep was HORRIBLE. I thought for sure I was going to vomit at first. That never happened to me. I finally put a bit of Gatorade in it just so that I could swallow it. I can’t believe how much chicken broth and jello I ate. Then, the gal put the IV in me. Now, I have a high tolerance for pain. When they put in a crown, I don’t take any novacane. But I told her in front of the MD that I’ve never had an IV that hurt so much. And I have good veins. Whenever I get an IV put in, they always comment on how good my veins are. I swore she must have put in 3 IV’s. I think she must have tried 3 times. You should have seen the face I made. If you’ve ever had a cortisone shot, to me it was like that. I even commented afterwards to Vince that I wonder if she was new because it hurt so much. She said it was in a very tender place. But it shouldn’t have had to hurt THAT much. Anyway, I don’t remember anything. Got home around 2, had something to eat then slept. I think I might go to bowling tonight just to get out of the house, but I won’t bowl.

Going there I we saw this one tree that must have hit the house. Fortunately, no damage was to the house, the gutter was ripped down but that’s all.

Speaking of Italian cakes, I’m just wondering if Denise is going to get a cake from that Italian (expensive ) bakery for PJ’s birthday and/or baptism. I’m suspecting not if she’s paying for it.

Luci – AWWWWW

Michele NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,706 Member
    Options
    Michelle ,that happened to me too,an older nurse came in and what she did was take a warm wet washcloth wrapped it around my hand for a minute and the vein popped up and she was able to insert the iv..
    Worked 10-4 today and will work 11-5 tomorrow.. Aimee already texted me she might not be in because her son has a fever.. not fair to us who have to work.. she needs to have a back up plan.
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Michele, I want to learn, but that's an example, not my own bowl. Apparently, it's either mica or liquid gold leaf. Here's a website where you learn how to practice the art: https://www.invaluable.com/blog/kintsugi/

Work's all caught up, one rejected grant (par for most weeks) and two applications submitted. I'm pretty much ready to go in the morning. I don't pack until last minute, as I've found I don't overthink it that way. Tomorrow, we'll head up to Fort Riley, and then back Sunday.

Later, y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,123 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Heather: Loved tonight’s Deathbin Paradise. Ardal is one of my favourite actors, and the scenery is wonderful.

We were avid campers in our youth, and we sailed on several tall ships, where the berths were like coffins! Lol! I prefer a bit of luxury these days.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Hi Gals,

Machka
    Whats this ?
    gut5zjo7uev0.png

It looks to me like a pig crossed with a bear.

Lisa – I think you have mentioned your “love” of camping before, doesn’t surprise me that there are office/management staff who get how good it can be for kids but not want it themselves. I do love to camp and have enough gear to be comfortable. Tent, quality pad, sleeping bag and the cooking gear. As for homelessness, I agree; one of my biggest groundless fears is becoming homeless, I can tell you how I would make it work in the town I live in now, I even know which office building has a shower in the second floor ladies room. And truly I have no reason to worry – unless it was a massive earthquake, and then I have folks who would take me in. Just one of those weird worries.

Kim from N. California

That animal is called a wombat. :) Nature's bulldozer.

Homelessness ... in the US, being homeless seems to have quite a negative connotation which has puzzled me on more than one occasion. Evidently cycletourists in the US are often accused of being homeless, like it is a bad thing.

I've spent many happy months being "homeless". :) Between homes, I guess.

In 2004, I quit my job, got rid of most of my stuff, packed the rest into storage in/near my parents place, and spent the next 3 months cycling around Australia. If I needed an address for some reason, I used my parents' address, but otherwise I thoroughly enjoyed living out of my panniers. :)

In 2007, I lived in central Alberta, but had finished 2 years at the college there and needed to start going to University of Alberta to finish my degree. Although my things were still in/near my parents' place, and I lived there on weekends and occasional other days, I ended up staying in a hostel near the university for a while and then basically staying at the uni as late as I could before going out to an acquaintance's place where I slept on the floor of the sewing room. The next semester I finally found a room to rent but that first semester I was half homeless.

And in 2012, my husband and I quit our jobs, packed everything into storage and travelled the world for 8 months with our bicycles ... again, living out of panniers.

So for me, being homeless means travel ... being a nomad ... wandering around the world. :):heart: :):heart:

Maybe I look at it in a more positive light because I don't have a place that I think of as "home". I have moved so much and travelled so much that there isn't a place I can think of with the feeling of "home". Like when people talk about "going home for Christmas" ... where is that? Where my parents are? I've never actually lived there ... not officially and not for longer than about a month. Our house? It's a nice enough rental, but we haven't been there that long.

But no worries ... "home" is not something I miss and I envision more moving and travel in my future. :)

Italian Christmas Cake = Panettone

Machka in Oz
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Had a young tall Doctor tell me it’s easy to stay in a calorie budget (Didn’t ask this ease dropping Woman tho asked Doctor who was walking with me who understood because her calorie budgets super low due to height age ). So for fun checked off I was her age y height damn I’d have enough calories to eat like a Queen!!! Glad I don’t have the good Docs calorie budget damn she drinks water she’s over! Weird how different our calorie budgets are due to age y size y mobility.

Amber Tx
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Thanks Viv for the kind thoughts. After her not eating a bite on Tuesday, she wolfed down her breakfast and dinner yesterday. Took her pills (squished into some left-over Christmas cake - it's that Italian cake that stays good forever. It's usually sold in the weird shaped red box. I cannot think of the name of it). It's almost 0930, got her pills into her, nada on the dog-food. The cake has chocolate chips, and I know dogs are not supposed to eat chocolate, but she likes it. She's coming to the end, a bit of chocolate won't kill her - no pun intended.

If anybody has any suggestions to increase the appetite of an elderly min-pin, I'm all ears. She is currently getting Blue Buffalo dry for seniors - 1/4 cup twice a day. I was adding pumpkin, which she liked, but now doesn't. I then added unsweetened apple-sauce, which she liked, but now doesn't. I bought her moist Blue Buffalo 'dinners'. She can only tolerate about 1-2 teaspoons, or else it's diarrhea time.

Thanks,
    Karen

Rice and crumbled ground beef or chicken. Rice will bind.
  • Workoutahloic50
    Workoutahloic50 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Christmas cake,Panettone
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Thanks Machka I had heard of a wombat, never looked it up and assumed it was a variety of bat... guess I know how to spell assume! LOL

Homeless in the states usually doesn't mean homeless as you were using it but instead someone who doesn't have access to hygiene (showers and laundry) and who is also food insecure.

Kim
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,922 Member
    Options
    :) Walking with dogs in snow that is deep enough to require boots and YakTrax is great for cardio, probably a good calorie burner, and great for leg muscles, but my pedometer acts like I'm not doing much.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,551 Member
    Options
    Gig
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,884 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    GodMomKim wrote: »
    Thanks Machka I had heard of a wombat, never looked it up and assumed it was a variety of bat... guess I know how to spell assume! LOL

Homeless in the states usually doesn't mean homeless as you were using it but instead someone who doesn't have access to hygiene (showers and laundry) and who is also food insecure.

Kim

This is interesting ...

What is homelessness
    There is no one definition of homelessness.

https://www.homelessnessaustralia.org.au/about/what-homelessness

As you scroll down through the definitions,

Mackenzie and Chamberlain’s cultural definition of homelessness identifies these, which is where my months of homelessness might fall into:

Secondary homelessness is experienced by people who frequently move from one temporary shelter to another (e.g. emergency accommodation, youth refuges, "couch surfing");
    Tertiary homelessness is experienced by people staying in accommodation that falls below minimum community standards (e.g. boarding housing and caravan parks).

And the Australian Bureau of Statistic definition includes the sense of "home" or lack of it.

Wombats are large, solid burrowing creatures. :) They are marsupials, so they have pouches like many Australian animals do, but their pouches face backward so that when they burrow, they don't fill the pouch with dirt. They also produce cube-shaped scat.

Most of the time you don't see them moving very fast, but they can get along quite briskly when they want.

About Wombats:

10 Awesome Wombat Facts
    https://www.rainforest.com.au/wombat-facts/

Machka in Oz