ROWING MACHINE- 40min, 49aw, 150mhr, 144mhr, 6261meters or 3.89mi= 216c
    apple watch- 288c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 5.34min, 132mhr, 16.1amph, 1.49mi= 47c
    apple watch- 53c
    bike ride puy 2 sumn station- 16.24min, 145mhr, 11.1amph, 3.03mi= 153c
    apple watch- 106c
    jog sta 2 wrk- 5.43min, 152mhr, 10.38amph, .53mi= 78c
    apple watch- 66c
    jog wrk 2 sta- 6.19min, 14.19min mi, .44mi = didn't record - hip issues, hurt
    apple watch- 64c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 22/53min, 6.7amph, 2.57mi= didn't record
    Apple Watch= 135c

total cal 752
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    love the wombat facts!
  • coastalgosgal
    coastalgosgal Posts: 2,900 Member
    Options
    Snow is finally melting.
    sytbo0uxpa8r.jpg
    These tall trees make a loud racket when they decide to let go of the snow on their branches!
    💖Rebecca
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    [quote=
    About Wombats:

10 Awesome Wombat Facts
    https://www.rainforest.com.au/wombat-facts/

Machka in Oz
    [/quote]

This made my day. I'm now a wombat fan 💙💙💙
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Homeless in the states usually doesn't mean homeless as you were using it but instead someone who doesn't have access to hygiene (showers and laundry) and who is also food insecure.

Kim

Lack of shower and laundry facilities is a challenge. "Homeless" in the Portland area includes loads of people camping in tents next to freeway on-ramps, underpasses and under bridges. There is some effort to provide warm shelters in cold weather. I'm not sure what Portland is doing in that regard since I don't live there. Salem, our State Capitol, is also struggling with the issue.

We live in a county seat and there are many county services located here. In our little town, a county wide community action group built housing for county residents who are in need of support. The project took several years to build and seems to be functioning well at this point—as far as I know. There is also an assisted living project that is in the process of being created. It is aimed at people with more challenging mental or physical health problems. A site has been designated and there is a lot of work in progress to get it ready for use.

I had another thought about this. What we are seeing in our town is aimed a local people from our county who need help. Some have mental challenges or physical challenges. They are not alone. Many of those people have families in the area who are not able to care for them but still care about them. Their relatives are there for them, providing what they can.

Many times the people I've seen camped beside a freeway seem to be cast adrift with no family or community support. It is a sad situation.

Katla
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    <3
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    <3
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,216 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    We have quite a large homeless problem in Brighton. People camp in shop doorways and under bridges. They are attracted here by the milder climate, the warmth and generosity of the population, and the many charities that try to do their best. There are also community street wardens who point people in the direction of a hot meal and a bed for the night, but not everyone wants to go to a hostel. Just before Christmas a street person was killed in an empty building and not found for a while. There was still tape and a policeman outside there yesterday.
    Having suffered with severe depression myself and being personally aware of the lure of alcohol, I can imagine all too easily being that kind of homeless. I truly feared it at one time of my life when I felt myself tipping down that slippery slope. My brother reassured me that he would always have a place for me in his home and I felt much better, but I know that, if alcohol got a grip on me, I would not be so welcome. We are always one step away. My son nearly fell over that step. It could be him sleeping in that doorway.
    I always give money every year to Crisis at Christmas, to enable a homeless person to have a Christmas dinner, a hot shower, a change of clothes and some medical attention and advice. Just sometimes that is enough to change a life around.

My new cleaner is starting this afternoon. We will have to move around the house to keep out of her way! Normally she will do Saturday morning, but she needs three hours to get started on the accumulated dirt behind and between things. :o

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Many times the people I've seen camped beside a freeway ...

Katla

If they've got bicycles they may just be cycling across the country or on a long distance randonnee. :)

ibe30cico085.png

Machka in Oz

• Machka9
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Speaking of which ...

This is our cycling club website, and specifically the Tasmania page: https://audax.org.au/tasmania/ which I have had a hand in populating, arranging, etc. The Tasmania page is my responsibility, mostly. :grin::grin:

As you can see (if you go there), we've got a 400 km ride coming up!! We're organising these days, rather than riding ... and we'll see how many we get out. In the past we've had about 3 people each time. :grin::astonished::smiley:

woi0231z8cu9.png

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Oops ... double post.

• TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,127 Member
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Machka: Interesting article on homelessness.

Heather: The situation is similar in the larger towns cities in NI. Our town has a few rough sleepers, but like Brighton, there are people who work to alleviate the situation. One does what one can to help.

Due to differences with my mother, I spent a year when I was homeless in my late teens. I didn't regard myself as homeless at the time. I had a good job, and wasn't on the streets. I initially stayed in a YWCA hostel for several months, and then lived in a couple of shared apartments with one of my female friends for about 10 months. It's an experience that I have been fortunate not to have had to repeat. My sense of home is that wherever I lay my hat, that's my home. However, although I have travelled quite a bit, I have never lived more than 50 miles away from my place of birth, and DH and I have 'owned' homes most of our married life (initially mortgaged properties).
  • Machka9
    Options
    Machka: Interesting article.

Heather: The situation is similar in the larger towns cities in NI. Our town has a few rough sleepers, but like Brighton, there are people who work to alleviate the situation. One does what one can to help.

Due to differences with my mother, I spent a year when I was homeless in my late teens. I didn't regard myself as homeless at the time. I had a good job, and wasn't on the streets. I initially stayed in a YWCA hostel for several months, and then lived in a couple of shared apartments with girl friend for about 10 months. It's an experience that I have been fortunate not to have had to repeat. My sense of home is that wherever I lay my hat, that's my home. However, although I have travelled quite a bit, I have never lived more than 50 miles away from my place of birth, and DH and I have 'owned' homes most of our married life (initially mortgaged properties).

That's my sense too, more or less. :)

I've never owned a home ... I've rented, stayed with people, stayed in short-term accommodation of various sorts, been given the loan of a place ... all temporary in one way or another.

I've lived in four provinces in Canada and two states in Australia. :)

I have also slept in shop doorways, nooks around churches, and all sorts of odd places ... but that was part of the long distance cycling events I've done. :grin:

Machka in Oz

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Wonder Woman scissors.
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Karen in VA - Thank you for giving me a snort of laughter to wake up with. People make some interesting choices in terms of design.

On Homelessness - As a young adult, I spent probably a year moving from one person's couch to another until I went into the military. There were a half-dozen 30- to 60-day stretches during 20 years between military assignments where my first husband and I didn't have a home. They were, without doubt, the most stressful times for me personally. Didn't actually buy a house until I left my first husband behind in Illinois and remarried Corey a year and a bit later. We've been together a bit over 11 years, and this is the fourth house we've owned and remodeled. It is meant to be our last.

If the way I feel this morning has anything to do with it, it absolutely will be our last home. I love it here, and I don't want to leave, even for two nights. But, I'm also aware that I'm a big, fat dreader, and I dread everything. I get over it once I'm on my way. However, we will be gently letting our daughter know while we're up there that we are staying put over the next couple years while we get this house paid off, so if she wants to see us, they'll have to come visit.

And... now I'm killing a few hours until Corey gets up by cleaning, etc., and playing computer games. No worries.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,707 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies
    I am up having my tea..and watching the local news, I have to keep the remote close as the ads that come in have animals in them and send Alfie barking like crazy and I dont want to wake my neighbor ,so i quick change the channel.. such is life..it is supposed to be frigid weather today here and tomorrow afternoon we get wolleped with snow..
    I have a wake tonight and a funeral in the morning for a friend of mine, she had a heck of a life.. type 1 diabetic loss of her right foot,legally blind and then what took her was cancer..only 60 yrs old..
    working 11-5 and then to the wake and home, then funeral at 10 am and then home for the day.. will get my place in order
    going up to Susans house for dinner,will bring salad and prossecco as I have some left over
    Lisa~ we want new pictures of Levi...
  • Machka9
    Options
    Wednesday, 1 January 2020 … 0.0 km walking + 14.5 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Thursday, 2 January 2020 … 0.0 km walking + 50.9 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Friday, 3 January 2020 … 0.0 km walking + 22.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Saturday, 4 January 2020 … 0.0 km walking + 13.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Sunday, 5 January 2020 … 3.9 km walking + 10.2 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Monday, 6 January 2020 … 3.8 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 8 flights of stairs
    Tuesday, 7 January 2020 … 1.8 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 10 flights of stairs

Wednesday, 8 January 2020 … 4.3 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 10 flights of stairs
    Thursday, 9 January 2020 … 9.2 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 10 flights of stairs
    Thursday, 9 January 2020 … 9.2 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 10 flights of stairs
    Friday, 10 January 2020 … 2.0 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Saturday, 11 January 2020 … 0.0 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Sunday, 12 January 2020 … 3.7 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 0 flights of stairs
    Monday, 13 January 2020 … 3.2 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 4 flights of stairs
    Tuesday, 14 January 2020 … 3.3 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 2 flights of stairs

Wednesday, 15 January 2020 … 3.8 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 4 flights of stairs
    Thursday, 16 January 2020 … 3.5 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 4 flights of stairs
    Friday, 17 January 2020 … 6.7 km walking + 0.0 km cycling + 0.0 km rowing + 17 flights of stairs

2020 Monthly January
    Walking Distance (km): 49.1
    Walking Time (min): 594.6
    Cycling Distance (km): 110.6
    Cycling Time (min): 396.0
    Flights Stairs Climbed Number: 69.0
    Flights Stairs Climbed Time (min): 55.2
    Rowing Distance (km): 0.0
    Rowing Time (min): 0.0
    Other Distance: 0.0
    Other Time: 0.0

Totals
    Total Distance (km): 159.6
    Total Distance (miles): 99.2
    Total Time (min): 1045.8
    Total Time (hr): 17:25:50
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,830 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Friday! I am so glad the work week is ending! Week 2 of Potty Bootcamp has NOT been going well. The girls (both of them) have made it clear that they don't want to sit on the potty anymore. Lots of messy accidents this week. I sent a text to both sets of parents, who, due to busy weekends of shopping and church (??!!), had the girls in diapers most of last weekend, letting them know that I don't think the girls are ready. They both agreed that we should try it in a couple of months. I am going to add the amendment to my potty training contract that the parents have to initiate the training and have the child in underwear and going on the potty for three days at home, before they can begin at my house. I, personally, think these two cases are more of the parents not wanting to take the time to do this, rather than their girls not wanting to do this. Training the parents. Ugh!

Homelessness: I was homeless for a few weeks while I lived in Mexico. I got kicked out of an apartment for not following curfew (it was run by a strict family, and being the headstrong american girl I was, being home by 10pm and not having male friends in my apartment was NOT something I could live with). Anywho- with no money saved and no leads on a place to live (this was in Cancun before it was CANCUN; it was small and very un-urban, so no hostels) I lived on the beach in the "hotel zone". I worked at night and slept on the beach during the day. I would shower at the beach showers and get ready for work in the public restrooms at the hotels. I had a friend at one of the hotels, that would hold my suitcase for me each day. After about three weeks, I found someone who had an extra room at their place and they were kind enough to rent it to me for a few months. Then I moved in with a boyfriend (a bad idea). Anyway, I was 20 and on my own down there, and too proud to call home and ask for help or $$ for a plane ticket. I got really sick the end of November and my "boyfriend" called my parents, who then called me and told me to come home. lol Which I did amid many tears. I arrived home, still sick, grossly underweight, with an eating disorder, and an abused body and mind. A few months of "mom" therapy and I was working again, healthier (body and mind) and wiser to the ways of the world. Homelessness is not easy, and I don't think people would "choose" it for a way of life. But when their choices are limited they will pick what they feel is the better of the two choices. Sometimes, homelessness is the better of the two.

KarenVA- Those scissors! lol I wish they made "grown up" ones like that! I would buy them!
    Machka- Very cool wombat facts! I saved your link for an animal unit I will do with the kids. Thanks for sharing!

Well, I hear the buzz of my dryer finishing the load; time to get folding. Today is "kid inventors day"! So I have brought up my recycle bin and will let the kids dig through and help them come up with some cool contraptions from the contents. I am sure we will get many games and items built from it. Marble runs, mazes, pencil holders, musical instruments, bug boxes....the options are endless... hugs for all! ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,552 Member
    Options