WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2020

Options

Replies

• exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    I feel like i must be in the dark ages. I don't have Siri.

Tracey – isn’t it amazing how we now understand our grandparents?

We’re going to see my cousin in St. Augustine in a few weeks. She said we’d have lunch at her house. What was my first thought? “What can I make to bring with me?”. Well,I have the ingredients with me for a grapefruit pie. I was going to make that if I needed something to take to the pot lucks – I wasn’t sure how many they’d have while we were here. Seems they’ll only have 2 so I have things for 3 things to take and a recipe for a 4th. Since I only need 2, this works. The first thing Vince said was “please take something I’ll eat” so I’ll take some of the chocolate chip cookies that I made for him to have.

Went to Hobby Lobby and got this small needlepoint to make. I figure I'll make one of a flamingo for the condo and one of a cat for us at home. They're kits for kids, so they're small. Had to go back because they didn't put a needle in with the first one. There was one with the second one so I'll use it for both. Didn't get back in tie to go to church. One reason I had to go back today was because they'll be closed tomorrow.

Michele
    where they did open the pool. Surprising, I thought it was too cool. It's supposed to warm up later in the week, tho

• Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    My dude ranch trip is in seven weeks, to the White Stallion Ranch in Tucson for a week. There will be trail rides every day, and a chance to do some cattle work, if I feel adventurous. I ride a little English, just walk trot on a slow school horse. I'm looking forward to the pool and the sunshine too!
    Annie in Delaware
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,078 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Heather: Went out late this avo. Storm Ciara has quite a blast.

Fav cardio activity is Dancing, closely followed by walking.

☘️ Terri
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Favorite cardio - Walking. It can be done anywhere and does not require fancy equipment.
  • Snowflake1968
    Snowflake1968 Posts: 6,733 Member
    Options
    Rebecca - have you and your son seen the new show on called LEGO Masters? My Grandson and I are watching the first episode it’s pretty interesting.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,536 Member
    Options
    Pppppp
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,338 Member
    Options
    Anne DE - have fun on the dude ranch. Can't wait to hear all about it.

Well, I was a bit cold and I remembered MIL had some blankets so I got one out. It smelled musty. For some reason, I didn't expect it to smell musty. So tomorrow when I buy the newspaper I'll probably also get some dryer sheets and run the blankets thru the dryer. then we'll probably go to WalMart to get some wood chips to put in the box where they are kept (wooden box) trying to keep that smell down. Need to air out the bag they were in since the bag is plastic.

Michele
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,854 Member
    Options
    74uty52992lq.png

M in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    I feel like i must be in the dark ages. I don't have Siri.

Tracey – isn’t it amazing how we now understand our grandparents?

We’re going to see my cousin in St. Augustine in a few weeks. She said we’d have lunch at her house. What was my first thought? “What can I make to bring with me?”. Well,I have the ingredients with me for a grapefruit pie. I was going to make that if I needed something to take to the pot lucks – I wasn’t sure how many they’d have while we were here. Seems they’ll only have 2 so I have things for 3 things to take and a recipe for a 4th. Since I only need 2, this works. The first thing Vince said was “please take something I’ll eat” so I’ll take some of the chocolate chip cookies that I made for him to have.

Went to Hobby Lobby and got this small needlepoint to make. I figure I'll make one of a flamingo for the condo and one of a cat for us at home. They're kits for kids, so they're small. Had to go back because they didn't put a needle in with the first one. There was one with the second one so I'll use it for both. Didn't get back in tie to go to church. One reason I had to go back today was because they'll be closed tomorrow.

Michele
    where they did open the pool. Surprising, I thought it was too cool. It's supposed to warm up later in the week, tho

Siri comes with an iphone. My Siri has a male voice. DH’s has a female voice. Siri can be very useful, especially giving driving directions. Example: Siri, navigate to the nearest Costco . . .
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,200 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Michele - Is it normal in the US to take food with you when invited to lunch, or is it just that your cousin is a poor cook? I would be upset if someone brought anything other than a bottle of wine, or chocolates. I would maybe offer to contribute food for a party, or if they asked me to bring dessert, or cheese. In France though it is perfectly acceptable to bring a sweet tart, even one from a patisserie. :D Almost expected.
    I read years ago in a magazine that you should never bring flowers to a hostess because she has to stop everything to look after them. Our friends brought beautiful yellow roses to our Burns Night and it was a real pain. I dumped them in the sink! They are just at the end of their life now, but have been gorgeous for two weeks.
    In Britain the customary gift is wine, but you don't necessarily expect it to be drunk that meal because the host will have planned food and wine. Prosecco or champagne for aperitif is always welcome and, if it is chilled, it is often opened straight away, but you mustn't be offended if it isn't.
    I'm interested in the protocol in different countries. In India you take those very sweet, sweetmeats.

What do you all take if it isn't a potluck?

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Heather In the US it is polite to ask if one can bring something to contribute to a meal, and often one will add a suggestion "salad or dessert?". If the answer is "No, just bring yourself", then it is traditional to bring wine.

I am not so traditional, so I bring fruit in season, brownies, a loaf of fresh bread & stick of butter - not for the meal, just as a thank you to the hostess, and not something that takes up much counter space. For example, I happen to know that my daughter-in-law loves pears, and has plenty of wine already, so I will bring 3-4 beautiful pears as a thank you for inviting me to a meal at their house. Sometimes we take a jar of homemade granola, a box of homemade almond bark, or a can of Virginia peanuts obviously not intended to be served with the meal. Once I brought a 6-pack of old-fashioned root beer and another time I brought old-fashioned chewing gum (Beemans, Clove, & Black Jack) because I knew the host loved it. The last time we had dinner at my stepson's house we took a 6-pack of Shipyard Pumkinhead. :)

Karen in Virginia