WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2020

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,854 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Michele - Is it normal in the US to take food with you when invited to lunch, or is it just that your cousin is a poor cook? I would be upset if someone brought anything other than a bottle of wine, or chocolates. I would maybe offer to contribute food for a party, or if they asked me to bring dessert, or cheese. In France though it is perfectly acceptable to bring a sweet tart, even one from a patisserie. :D Almost expected.
    I read years ago in a magazine that you should never bring flowers to a hostess because she has to stop everything to look after them. Our friends brought beautiful yellow roses to our Burns Night and it was a real pain. I dumped them in the sink! They are just at the end of their life now, but have been gorgeous for two weeks.
    In Britain the customary gift is wine, but you don't necessarily expect it to be drunk that meal because the host will have planned food and wine. Prosecco or champagne for aperitif is always welcome and, if it is chilled, it is often opened straight away, but you mustn't be offended if it isn't.
    I'm interested in the protocol in different countries. In India you take those very sweet, sweetmeats.

What do you all take if it isn't a potluck?

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Got me to thinking what has happened when I've gone to someone's place for dinner ...

Then I was trying to remember when I've gone to someone's place for dinner ...

OK, the most recent time was several months ago when a friend from work invited us over so that I could learn to make perogies with his wife. He and I had been talking about that for ... oh, maybe 2 years ... and finally one day it was time.

I didn't bring anything, just dropped in after going for a bicycle ride. Then his wife and I made perogies and we ate them. :)

If we return the favour with my work friend and his wife, we'll likely invite them round for a BBQ and wouldn't expect them to bring anything.

The time before that was ... hmmm ... I can't remember.

I'm guessing it might have been to a friend of my husband's for a party a few years ago. Party invites here suggest that everyone should "bring a plate" and so I think we brought a couple party platters from the local grocery store.

Dinner parties are not a "thing" here.

Most of the time, when we get together with other people, we go to restaurants. Restaurants are just so much easier ... each person can order what they want, and it's easier to wrap things up and go home if things start to get awkward.

Oh, and since we don't drink alcohol, we don't bring it. We have brought soft drinks to parties, but never alcohol. I think if I were going to bring something, if that were expected, I'd bring a box of chocolate.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    Sunday - we got outside for a windy ride on our Bike Fridays ... gusting to 50 km/h out there.

Distance: 13.70km
    Elevation:  97m
    Moving Time: 53:59
    Elapsed Time:    57:42 
    Speed: Avg: 15.2km/h | Max:     28.4km/h
    Calories:    370

Machka in Oz
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,485 Member
    Options
    "Todo"s and "done"
    Done: mega veg prep and dip for hospitality tomorrow, rx.
    Bonus: stroll down/up hill with the dogs twice.
    ToDo:, Hospitality at church, invest 10 mins cleaning Kitchen/Laundry, carry over 10 mins cleaning office, Master&Guest Bds, GuestBth and Living Room, call Pat, Monday schedule DEXA scan with CHN, Shadow to Mini Pet Mart to shop for crate, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, bake bran muffins, call Carolyn D. Next week get Shingrix vaccine. Reward: inventory seeds, plan garden, order replenishments.

Do not know what I was doing this morning, but got no cleaning done at all.

Katla you are right, Siri’ “in 500 yards turn right!” was helpful one dark and stormy night when I couldn’t see the street signs. Perhaps I should reconsider and unmute her.
    Welcome Carol in SW PA
    Tracey :heart: driving the grands out to look at the stars
    SuziQ is gleaning peppers as back-breaking as it sounds?
    Rori Omigosh! Seated on floor, touched your nose to knees and grabbed your feet? WOW!
    Heather, Terri, Viv and all in Storm Ciara’s path, hunker down and be safe!
    Michele you remembered MIL had some blankets, was your FL condo your MIL's?
    Heather wine is always a welcome hostess gift. If the lunch is informal, I ask what can I bring? IF the hostess says nothing, I suggest Cookies? Cheese? Crudites? Giving her a second chance. If answer is stll “no” then I bring nothing but an appetite. Now having read Karen in VA’s response, I’ll skip the second question and just bring a food or wine gift. Home made sweet and spicy pecans might be my go-to. Paleo and keto friendly, gluten free.

Another note on girlfriends, it came to me yesterday that Mama lost her two dearest friends at too young ages to disease. She must have been so lonely. Wish I had been a better friend to her.

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    February: better than January.
    daily: steps=3840 vits=7 log=8 CI<CO=7 CI<250<CO=5 Tumble 5/10=2 mfp=8 outside5 clean 10 mins=4
    wkly: BB&B x3=3, rx=2 dance=2 pack walk=1
    mnthly: board mtg= grant= review 20for20=1
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,078 Member
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Good morning, ladies.

Heather: It was raining when I woke up at 7.45am, but the clouds have just cleared away. The wind is still gusting, and we have a severe warning in place. It should be with you in a couple of hours.
    😂 Not sure if it's the eye of the storm or the end of it. 😂

When invited for a meal, I normally ask if I can bring something. I take a bottle of wine if there is no specific request, or some small gift for the hostess.

💁🏼 We have our usual afternoon visit with DED and grandsons after lunch. I am doing a few chores this morning, and will fit in a short HIIT workout.

🌹 Welcome to the rest of your life! Make it a good one! 🌹

☘️ Terri #sittingouthtestorm
  • KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    Options
    Barbara I would love to receive sweet & spicy pecans if I were hostess.
  • Machka9
    edited February 2020
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Regarding automated assistants, I don't have Siri as I don't do iPhones. No Alexa or anything like it, in the house, either. Just haven't wanted my technology to speak to me so far.

I'm with you. I study IT related subjects. I work in an IT related area. I don't want too much IT related stuff in my personal life. I have some, of course, but I just can't imagine wanting Alexa. And part of that probably has to do with what I've heard and read about security.

On the thought of best friends, what always occurs to me is that society effectively demands that our husbands are now our best friends. Well, mine's not. He's my husband. My best friend is a tall, blonde lady in Montana, and has been since long before I met my current and final husband. Not to get all weird about it, but honestly, doesn't anyone find it a little odd to tell people that the person they have sex with is their best friend? Maybe it's just me.

My husband always jokingly tells me that I'm HIS best friend, and I just tell him he needs to get out more. :)

Here, I'm not with you ... my husband and I are each other's best friends by a long shot. Probably my closest second best friend would be my mother.

My husband and I met through a common activity (long distance cycling) and were friends first. Even through everything we've been through over the past 2 years, we were and are devoted friends first. I'm not sure we, as a couple, could have made it if we weren't.

I mentioned the cycling, and that's still a common activity, but over the years we've also discovered a mutual love of travel, especially active travel - hiking, cycling, etc., going to the symphony and plays, and going to things like the Speedway!

Which brings me to the "what do you bring to a dinner party" question, and the answer is, nothing, not even ourselves, as we just don't go to other people's houses, nor, other than family, do we invite them to hours. We're not even slightly social, I guess, but quite happy that way.

Back to being with you again! Getting together with others socially is a very rare thing for us and if we do, as I mentioned, we prefer to meet people at a restaurant ... neutral turf.

Although with this one couple, my work friend and his wife, we might try a BBQ. We've got a really nice BBQ patio so that might be OK. And they aren't likely to stay long.

Machka in Oz
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Greetings one and all.

I am still catching up with commentary and am starting with the most recent first.

Heather – I am in awe of you and how you are taking full advantage of your non-working years. I hope to be as active as you once I permanently say good bye to the corporate world. When invited to someone’s home for a meal I typically ask if they want me to bring something. If the answer is no I will bring a bottle of wine, if appropriate, if not a small hostess gift. Note – I always try and bring something I know the household enjoys. If invited to your house I would probably bring “stinky” cheese or some perfect fruit. Love the picture of Edie. She was certainly thinking outside of the box! I love the floors at the Wolseley.
    Machka – Charlie was my best friend too. We did not start out that way as we had an instant attraction to each other. It made for some difficult work, especially in the beginning of our relationship.
    Lisa – Charlie and I were introverts/extroverts. We would push ourselves to be more social because we did not want to become hermits. Looking back I wish we socialized more as I am a bit isolated. I am finding it is quite difficult to meet and become close friends with people at my age. I am slowly but surely getting there. It’s certainly not like my 20s.
    Barbara SOR – Picking peppers is certainly a workout. The first time out this year was an eye-opener. Yesterday was my second and the body is certainly getting used to it. My friend took this picture – as you can see I am really much taller than the plants! I am learning to crab walk versus bending when picking. Each 5-gallon bucket weighs 15 pounds. I was filling two at time and hiking them to the big bins.
    duiriewqg8pz.png
    Michele – I love St. Augustine. Enjoy the time with your cousin.
    Annie – I cannot wait to see some pictures of you and the dude ranch.
    Tracey – It sounds like you had a wonderful time with the grands.
    Ginny – Hope the fundraiser was a success. It seems like we are both supporting our local food banks.
    Amber – The flowers are beautiful. I am happy you have found a partner who appreciates and loves you.
    Viv – Hope the flooring is finally done. Would love to see some pictures.
    KJ – Joaquin and Miguel appear to be developing a tight bond. The smiles they have for each other melt my heart.

It’s time to get back to meal prep. I will be finishing off the chicken soup from the stock made yesterday. Will also be making some breakfast smoothies for the start of the work week. May have one for breakfast this morning since I have so much fresh produce in the house. Costco had the plant-based protein powder I use ($8 off) this month so I took advantage of the sale.

I will be posting my stats separately. It has been some time since I have posted them.

Hugs to all and prayers for those in need.
    SuziQ – SFL
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Lisa – Charlie and I were introverts/extroverts. We would push ourselves to be more social because we did not want to become hermits. Looking back I wish we socialized more as I am a bit isolated. I am finding it is quite difficult to meet and become close friends with people at my age. I am slowly but surely getting there. It’s certainly not like my 20s.
    SuziQ – SFL

SuziQ - My husband and I are both introverts, so for us it works to stay home. There are times when I itch to get out of the house, as I also work at home, but they're seldom. This really is my happy place, and alone for me was never lonely. I've pushed myself in the past to be social, such as when I was managing editor of a newspaper in a town of 8,000, and it was expected. It was a quietly miserable state for me, and exhausting.

Machka - I continue to find the differences across our group to be so fascinating, as well as the similarities.

Later, y'all,
    Lisa
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,694 Member
    Options
    to much caffeine yesterday was up until midnight :# slept till 7:15 this morning before getting pounced on by Alfie.. im going to lay low today fold and put away laundry and make bed up with fresh linens..right now im having my tea and watching the birds..
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,078 Member
    Options
    We have decided to forgo our visit this afternoon as Storm Caira is still raging, and DH doesn’t want to drive through it.
  • Machka9
    Options
    So here's my question ... coming from the perspective of marrying my best friend ... why would you marry a guy with the intention of living with him for years to come if he wasn't your best friend? Or at least a very good friend?