WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR FEBRUARY 2020

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Janet OKC: I’m happy things are going well for your daughter. I’m also happy that things are going okay for you & the puppies are relatively well behaved. :star:

Dr Katie: I’ll look into the idea of a non-alcoholic red wine. Thanks for the good suggestion. :star:

Karen in VA: :star::heart: :broken_heart: I am sorry for the loss of your friend, Lynette, and picture her with the Angels. :heart:

Karen in VA: I am a big fan of blueberries and grow my own. They freeze very well and I have some of them for breakfast almost every day. I’m also well acquainted with dark chocolate. Thanks for your excellent suggestions. :bigsmile:

Janetr: Thank you for the positive story about your MIL. :flowerforyou:

Had a message from my daughter. She is unhappy with her weight. I suggested that she look at MyFitnessPal. I have had great luck with it, especially because of this group. DD is not even close to 50 and I hope there are groups for women her age.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    JR thinks foods only at Walmart,Chuckie cheese,y McDonald’s lol 😂 so if he’s asked you could end up eating at Walmart lol.

Amber Tx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    (((Rori))) Taking DH to a primary care physician is a great idea. Hopefully you will get good guidance. Perhaps there will be some sort of RX to reduce negative behavior. :heart: :broken_heart::heart:

Agreed.
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,727 Member
    Options
    Well we are in Lima.. had a late start from,Cusco didnt have paperwork right.. breezed through immigration and now we wait until 12:05 am to board...
    Mary couldnt wait until I got home to spoil my vacation she took the job and her last day is March 8th.. I am happy for her but it gonna be bat as- crazy after he leaves as he will throw all the work on Aimee..she could have been kind enough to wait until I was home to throw it at me..but she just loves getting that dig in..
    Oh well.
  • evie1958
    evie1958 Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Janet, OKC glad your daughter seems to be doing so well. Have to agree with a previous post, a good job will certainly be of help for her.
    Karen, VA, so sorry to hear of your dear friend passing, but happy that you have good memories and that she is no longer uncomfortable.
    Rori, my sincerest wish that your GP can help with hubby's sundowners. Sounds absolutely awful for everyone concerned.
    Allie, sorry to hear that Mary just had to contact you about her new job while you're still on holiday. Keeping my fingers crossed for you!
    So, have once again committed to "the plan". Have tracked today and even though dinner will be pizza ( work thing) I actually have enough calories remaining so all should be good. Ugh! On my phone, this is harder than it needs to be so that's it for me for now!
    Hugs to those who need them, congrats to those celebrating and welcome to the newbies!
    Evelyn, Vancouver Island
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
    Uuuuuu
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,940 Member
    Options
    pdixon49 wrote: »
    I am just new to this site. My year has been full of changes and upsets . . .. and 30 pounds from stress eating. Hoping for brighter days! :)

:) Welcome, please come back daily and tell us more about yourself also join in the conversation and ask your questions.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • ginnytez
    ginnytez Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    Katla-I don't drink alcohol and while there is some research that indicates red wine may have a beneficial effect, I personally would ignore my doctor on that.

JanetrOKC - hope things continue going well with your daughter situation.

Karen in Virginia-so sorry for the loss of your friend.

Terri-don't know that I would ever be brave enough to try mediation instead of anesthesia!

Heather UK-had a couple of friends who have had prostrate cancer and they were treated with great success. Try not to get too concerned-you don't know what you may or may not be dealing with.

Good to be back home. Meeting today was actually very good (I don't say that often!). Tired from poor sleep last night. Made myself go to gym--felt much better after I got there and started my routine. While eating was different for past two days, still kept up with steps, etc.

Too tired to think of anything else. We may get a bit of snow here tomorrow, but definitely going to be colder.

Take care all,

Ginny in Ohio
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,577 Member
    Options
    stats for the day:

bike ride hm 2 gym- 8.12min, 137mhr, 11.5amph, 1.56mi= 69c
    apple watch- 60c
    SKI MACHINE- 25min, 15-20resist, 15incl, 139mhr, 115ahr, 1.08mi= 160c
    apple watch- 167c
    bike ride gym 2 dome- 5.13min, 147mhr, 16.7amph, 1.45mi= 48c
    apple watch- 47c
    bike ride puy 2 sumn station- 16.33min, 143mhr, 11.1amph, 3.05mi= 157c
    apple watch- 119c
    Jog sta 2 wrk- 5.31min, 10.01min mi, 149mhr, .55mi= 69c
    apple watch- 64c
    Jog wrk 2 sta- 4.25min, 9.31min mi, 151mhr, .46mi= 55c
    apple watch-59c
    bike ride dome 2 hm- 18.48min, 8.3amph, 151mhr, 2.59mi-= 178
    apple watch- 139c

total 738
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,940 Member
    Options
    :)Katla, I don't drink alcohol and would not have wine at my doctor's recommendation.
  • Machka9
    Options
    Katla If your doctor recommended red wine, it may be because it is a source of
    reservatrol, which protects plants from diseases & stress damage. It's less clear if it protects humans, but there are tons of dietary sources: peanuts, pistachios, grapes, red & white wine, blueberries, cranberries, cocoa, and dark chocolate.

Karen in Virginia

Absolutely right!

I'm actually surprised that a doctor would recommend drinking alcohol. There are more negatives than positives associated with drinking alcohol.

Get the resveratrol from another dietary source.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/265635

And remember ...

"However, any health benefits only apply to moderate drinking. The United States (U.S.) Dietary Guidelines 2015 to 2020 define moderate drinking as: “Up to one drink per day for women, and up to two drinks per day for men, and only by adults of legal drinking age.”"

Also from that article ... but do read the whole article ...

Fast facts on the possible benefits of red wine:
    • Red wine is high in resveratrol, and it may offer various health benefits.
    • Resveratrol may boost heart health, protect against some kinds of cancer, and prevent some types of vision loss.
    • Grapes and berries are a better source of resveratrol than red wine, so eating these is likely to be more healthful than drinking wine.
    • However, if you are going to drink, red wine appears to be more healthful than some kinds of alcoholic beverage.
    • Women should not drink more than one glass a day, and men, two glasses.

Machka in Oz
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Debra lost some weight already is enjoying reading along. She also exercising y healthy meal changes for her y baby.

Same here as Debra. We had a busy day together via email 📧. Getting stuff going even our meals set.

I made fajita chicken bowls

1. 2 (15cal pkg) fajita mix
    2. Baked Chicken 1 serving shredded after baking it in a bowl
    3. Added water y olive oil y lemon 🍋 juice
    4. Pepper y garlic powder
    5. Onion 🧅 not cooked (when heating it in microwave bowls it heats up then )
    stirred it up measured it out per container 1 serving no tortillas

Cans of beans 1 serving per container the 0.5 left I put little per container.

Made jalapeño cornbread
    1 pkg jalapeño cornbread mix
    1 tab margarine 🧈
    Egg whites y unsweetened almond milk 🥛

Calories change depends on beans you choose 400-500calorie approx

All per container measured just right.
    Amber Tx
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,727 Member
    Options
    Well we got to Lima in one piece lol..long layover but the sky lounge had a quiet room where you could lie down,and I did and was out like a light. Trudy scared me when she woke me up..
    But here we are waiting for our plane to arrive ..
  • Machka9
    Options
    Semester 1 has begun.

The plan was that I would catch my usual bus, arrive at work moments after 9 am, then leave at 10:20, catch the bus to the university, attend the lecture, and walk back to work. I'd get stuff done at work, take care of the uni stuff and progress with work stuff in the afternoon.

The reality is that I waited for my usual bus which arrived about 20 minutes late and took so long getting into town it was about 10 am when it finally arrived. I had 20 minutes to down some coffee and start my computer before dashing off. Fortunately the rest has gone according to plan.

It rains here a little bit and everything grinds to a halt.

Anyway, it was the first lecture today. Not impressed that there is group work but I've only got 3 more courses till I'm done.

Machka in Oz