March 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Teresa502
    Teresa502 Posts: 1,714 Member
    Options
    Pittsburgh Marathon sent out an update. Was nearly a full page of text... and said essentially nothing. They could have sent:

"Yo! I know yinz want to know if we will cancel, but we do not know either way yet. Just chill, keep training, and we will let you know when we know something."

And been done with it.

I love visiting Pittsburgh and hearing the Pittsburgh speak!
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Teresa502 wrote: »
    Pittsburgh Marathon sent out an update. Was nearly a full page of text... and said essentially nothing. They could have sent:

"Yo! I know yinz want to know if we will cancel, but we do not know either way yet. Just chill, keep training, and we will let you know when we know something."

And been done with it.

I love visiting Pittsburgh and hearing the Pittsburgh speak!

I do not say yinz normally, I had y'all there actually, but I realized that PGH would put yinz in so I changed it. :)

I am not native here yet I guess :D
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    @LoveyChar that TX heat and humidity....makes you want to run naked because even tanks and shorts are too hot. I usually take a month of transition to get used to it. And try to run early. And the best thing....go for a run on town lake, then jump in the always 70 degrees Barton Springs Pool.....incredible and such a great recovery.

I wonder if they will close it due to the pandemic pandemonium? Total bummer if they need to.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    Options
    I was born and raised 40 miles, 40 minutes north of Pittsburgh and spent 21 years there. We ALL say "yinz" (and it's a running joke) if you're within, probably, a 100 mile radius of Pittsburgh. Even my kids joke about it and they are pure Texan "y'all" girls here and "y'inz" girls up there in the summer. I've been in the south 22 1/2 years and in Texas for 17 years. When I go to PA, people tell me I speak with a "southern twang." Never my intention but ex was Texan, kids around other kids in Texas schools, myself working in the public school system, and most of my friends are Texans so I have lost much of my Pennsylvania speech. I remember Madonna getting flack for speaking with a British accent, despite not being born of a British upbringing. Well she's lived there a long time. You just lose it after awhile. I can relate. You wouldn't know I was a Pennsylvanian. My kids ask me when I'm fixin' dinner. We don't fix dinner up north; we cook it. Were always fixin' to head out somewhere too. I don't think twice about any of it anymore, a little PA lingo here or there, a little Texas twang, and a little Spanish I speak it all when relevant, usually. Western PA definitely is a very special and interesting little world I love.
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    @bearly63 We've been to Barton Springs once and loved it. There were two much older hippy women children of the 70's topless and absolutely carefree and confident there, first time I've ever seen something of the like in public. I just love the weirdness and beauty of Austin. We used to go to Shakespeare in the Park (coming up, wohooo) almost every spring in Zilker Park. I'll definitely have to move the runs to avoid hellacious heat. A good swim afterwards would be incentive...
  • LoveyChar
    edited March 2020
    Options
    @TheMrWobbly I hope it doesn't get cancelled. Maybe you are feeling less pressure and running and walking faster as a result of that (?).
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    10K in two weeks, I would seriously think it wouldn't be cancelled. However, my husband is saying that even the company he works for is considering having everyone work from home (in the talks but he is hoping for it). Who wouldn't want to work in their pajamas?!
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @LoveyChar I'm dreading it if it comes to working at home. Yes, it's wonderful to wear whatever I want, but I'm sooo terrible at focusing at home. I'm always wanting to get up and mop the floor or something.
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    3-1 7k moderate
    3-2 7k thresholdish + resistance bands
    3-3 7k moderate
    3-4 rest
    3-5 11k slow
    3-6 7k moderate
    3-7 7k easy
    3-8 7k threshold
    3-9 11k easy
    3-10 rest
    3-11 7k moderate
    3-12 7k moderate

March Total: 78k
    March Goal: 170k

January Total: 161k
    February Total: 167k

2020 Total through February: 328k

Partly cloudy and low 50s F today. Even though the wind was out of the south, it felt cool. Swallowed my first bug of the year!!

Next year when you pop in here claiming your December 2020 mileage, what accomplishments will you have made?

Return to a good running weight of 175 lbs
    Run at least 4 5k races
    Get a 5k PR
    Average at least 138k per month, to meet my Run the Year pledge of 1,020 miles
    Stretch goal: If I can average 169k per month, I can run 2020K in 2020

Run the Year Team: Pavement Pounders

2020 races:
    4-25 Shine the Light 5k, Twinsburg, OH
    5-23 Race for the Parks 5k, Hudson OH
    6-20 Freedom Run 5k, Aurora, OH
  • eleanorhawkins
    eleanorhawkins Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    @LoveyChar I'm dreading it if it comes to working at home. Yes, it's wonderful to wear whatever I want, but I'm sooo terrible at focusing at home. I'm always wanting to get up and mop the floor or something.

@janejellyroll I actually have my office at home, and that was a serious issue for a long time. I eventually learned to get round it by setting a schedule each morning and not allowing myself to cheat! It takes discipline but it can be done.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

@janejellyroll I actually have my office at home, and that was a serious issue for a long time. I eventually learned to get round it by setting a schedule each morning and not allowing myself to cheat! It takes discipline but it can be done.

That's just what I'm going to have to do if it comes to that for me. I'm glad to know someone else was in the same boat but was able to figure it out.
  • LoveyChar
    Options
    @Tramboman Lunch on the run, haha!
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    LoveyChar wrote: »
    @Tramboman Lunch on the run, haha!

It was a small bug, so more like a fueling snack.