March 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Got 4.5 miles on trails - running part of the Tour de Wolf trail which I hadn’t run before. I think @T1DCarnivoreRunner talked about running it before and being surprised at the hills? Anyway I was surprised by the hills, most of the way out is a long uphill on a sand/gravel road. Also we got lost in the woods and turned too early, thus the short run instead of the 10k we were going for. Which is probably for the best since my knee is complaining about all the uphill running.

Not a bad run, nice to see some new scenery, and I’m enjoying daylight savings time.

We saw the worst dog, with the worst owner. Can’t blame the dog, bad owners make bad dogs. There’s an off leash area nearby but he was not in it. Instead he was more than a mile out of the off leash area, racing around chasing deer, three deer exploded out of the woods, went flying by us and out onto the road into traffic chased by this yellow lab, barking his head off. Sound of guy in the far distance calling for his dog. Dog gives up and runs off in a random direction to bark at more deer. Man appears, still calling for the dog, meandering along on a flipping bicycle! Does not even have a leash with him. We point and say, “That way,” And he says, “Yeah, he gets excited when he sees deer,” as if that’s some sort of excuse. Why did you bring your unleashed disobedient dog to a park full of deer, genius? He’s lucky neither the deer nor the dog got hit by a car or I would have possibly broken some part of his anatomy. Or at least gotten the rangers involved.

Nearer the dog park (but still outside the signs that said past this point all dogs must be on leashes) we met some other, very nice dogs. Really pretty bright red bully crossbreed of some sort, stopped instantly when he saw us and waited for his person to catch up and walk with him. Looked at us adoringly. His owner was still naughty but at least her dog was properly behaved even if she wasn’t herself.

Since the park is right next to the Baptist hospital where our Coronavirus cases are being treated and I don’t trust the hospital staff not to get infected, we went home instead of eating out. The roads were also really empty compared to that time of day usually.
  • polskagirl01
    polskagirl01 Posts: 2,010 Member
    Options
    Did my track workout today on the dirt track, so basically 350 and 700m fast intervals. So far no announcements from the race organizers, although people are speculating both ways on their Facebook page as to whether it's big enough to meet the definition of mass gathering for an outdoor event. If you ONLY count the runners, it's ok. But start counting volunteers and organizers and for sure if you count spectators, you're over the limit.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    I can’t do the quote thing for each answer here because I’m short on time BUT here is the schedule for the last seven (or is it six now?) long runs until marathon day (April 25!)

This weekend: 12 miles
    Fifth weekend (also Portland): 20 miles
    Fourth weekend out: 12 miles
    Third weekend out: 22 miles
    Second weekend out: 12 miles
    Last weekend out: 8 miles

I think yeah, only six long runs left!

@enaliba yes! I have never been so my *hope* is to get up earlier than my twin brother and get a few miles in. He is not a runner .... he’s more of a beer, wine, and food guru and he loves his cigarettes (i understand - i used to smoke too). Also I am slow and a 20 mile run would take HOURS. This wouldn’t be a thing but I haven’t seen him in four years and I don’t want to take one second away from spending time with him. So ...

Would it be just absolutely stupid of me to do the 20 mile run THIS weekend or the weekend I get home instead of Portland weekend? I also need a cutback weekend to coincide with the weekend that i have the kids for Spring break, which is actually the weekend i get back.

So can i manipulate the schedule to 20 this weekend, however and as many as I can next weekend, then another cutback, then 22? What is the best way to maneuver this?

Also - @LoveyChar remember everyone said that after they run a marathon they fall into a drifting state until the next thing. You’ll pull yourself back up! And. I want that cookie. I’m still trying the plant based diet to see if it really does help with inflammation etc ..... tomorrow is no-tuna, tuna salad. I’ll letcha know how it goes rotfl

My son is still miserable and i am due back at work tomorrow.

My sister is LOSING HER MIND over coronavirus. I’m not sure I buy into mass hysteria, but my concerns rest with the legitimacy of the issue. There’s a part where we need to do all that we can (wash. Your. Hands.) but also.... i really don’t want to be quarantined.... but also .... people that could die from the virus would be grateful if it were contained. It’s not just me I have to care about.

But also.

I don’t want them to cancel the marathon and I don’t want to have to miss out on Portland.

We shall see.

So are you asking about doing 20 this week, and 12 next? That is a possible option. You need to judge your own body and condition and work from there. It is certainly a reasonable option. As is just skipping the run if you must.
  • LoveyChar
    LoveyChar Posts: 4,335 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    @Camaramandy648 Yes, I remember. You're sweet, thank you for thinking of me. I'm excited for you...get your training in as stressful or frustrating as it may be, because nothing is as fun or rewarding as the big day, the big payoff for all the hours put into it and then it's over and you can relax for however long you decide to.

@bearly63 I'm glad you get to at least stay active even if the physician's recommended activities aren't your first choice. We'll be cheering you on in weeks with news of your first run!
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I can’t do the quote thing for each answer here because I’m short on time BUT here is the schedule for the last seven (or is it six now?) long runs until marathon day (April 25!)

This weekend: 12 miles
    Fifth weekend (also Portland): 20 miles
    Fourth weekend out: 12 miles
    Third weekend out: 22 miles
    Second weekend out: 12 miles
    Last weekend out: 8 miles

I think yeah, only six long runs left!

@enaliba yes! I have never been so my *hope* is to get up earlier than my twin brother and get a few miles in. He is not a runner .... he’s more of a beer, wine, and food guru and he loves his cigarettes (i understand - i used to smoke too). Also I am slow and a 20 mile run would take HOURS. This wouldn’t be a thing but I haven’t seen him in four years and I don’t want to take one second away from spending time with him. So ...

Would it be just absolutely stupid of me to do the 20 mile run THIS weekend or the weekend I get home instead of Portland weekend? I also need a cutback weekend to coincide with the weekend that i have the kids for Spring break, which is actually the weekend i get back.

So can i manipulate the schedule to 20 this weekend, however and as many as I can next weekend, then another cutback, then 22? What is the best way to maneuver this?

Also - @LoveyChar remember everyone said that after they run a marathon they fall into a drifting state until the next thing. You’ll pull yourself back up! And. I want that cookie. I’m still trying the plant based diet to see if it really does help with inflammation etc ..... tomorrow is no-tuna, tuna salad. I’ll letcha know how it goes rotfl

My son is still miserable and i am due back at work tomorrow.

My sister is LOSING HER MIND over coronavirus. I’m not sure I buy into mass hysteria, but my concerns rest with the legitimacy of the issue. There’s a part where we need to do all that we can (wash. Your. Hands.) but also.... i really don’t want to be quarantined.... but also .... people that could die from the virus would be grateful if it were contained. It’s not just me I have to care about.

But also.

I don’t want them to cancel the marathon and I don’t want to have to miss out on Portland.

We shall see.

So are you asking about doing 20 this week, and 12 next? That is a possible option. You need to judge your own body and condition and work from there. It is certainly a reasonable option. As is just skipping the run if you must.

@PastorVincent yes! Does it make sense to do that?

I have to manage my IT Band - but i think if i keep being smart i will be able to manage it!
  • Camaramandy648
    Camaramandy648 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    @Tramboman you are really kicking butt! You are so consistent! I think you are going to exceed your goals and surprise yourself. Any thoughts on what your fourth race will be?
  • Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    @Tramboman you are really kicking butt! You are so consistent! I think you are going to exceed your goals and surprise yourself. Any thoughts on what your fourth race will be?

Thank you. That's another benefit of being retired.
    I want to do the Solon Days 5k in July.
    I also like to schedule about one per month from April to October. Just waiting for the schedule to be finalized.
  • Duck_Puddle
    Duck_Puddle Posts: 3,224 Member
    Options
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    got our run in
    I wasn't going to take speed demon but i put on my running belt and she started crying. so we went. the plan called for hills so i went to a local park. hills but not nearly as bad as remember. sunday will be worse. by at least double.
    she wanted to go fast. she cried whenever i stopped for a picture. we saw deer. the deer were very curious about speed demon. we stopped at a few small waterfalls. and sunset. it was a beautiful run. it helped some, the physical struggle, working thru some of the empathy of someone who feels he has nothing left but to stand in front of a train rather than hurt their family again. i know that pain.

i told my friend at dinner the other night, i couldn't do that because someone would take my Old Girl, there might be fights over her...but no one could take Speed Demon being a recovering feral. no one i know could deal with her. so even on my darkest days, i have to stay. I stay and run in those that can't like my friends who didn't have any fight left for them.
    8fkiq31jbi89.png
    o6noe6lfy1hb.png
    ybcttue1u892.png
    6m8s9lynfv3h.png
    5haxiq804jxr.png
    ex7b88d84dbw.png

Looks like a beautiful run in all the ways.