WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2020

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,703 Member
    Options
    Up dressed and having my tea.. dropping Alfie off at Tom's while I work and then go pick him up..and do some laundry..
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    🙊
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,607 Member
    Options
    Good Saturday!
    First, I am thankful that MFP has only had a small glitch. Getting frustrated with Fitbit. Down again.

Work today until 2. I dont think we will have fish today. Probably chicken. I need to go to grocery....veggies and fruits getting a little scarce in my fridge.

I didn't get my 10 minutes in yesterday, go ahead Pip. I am braced. Ate well though. Not sure of plans this weekend. The next two have events scheduled.

Michele- glad you are home safely. I too do laundry when we go to Pigeon Forge. I really hate to come home and spend all day cleaning.

Allie- I am proud of you!

I need to get ready for work. Maybe I will spend some time on deck this afternoon/weekend. It is suppose to be sunny and warm before the rains come back in. Who knows, I might even get my husband back to the park for a walk😉

Thank you all!
    Welcome all!
    💗
    Kylia (Ohio)
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Ah, Saturday. How I love you.

We are in what is probably our last cold front of the season. I awakened to temps in the high 50s. Our daytime temp will be in the low 70s. Yes, I know, I know, I am completely spoiled. Yesterday we were in the 90s so this morning’s temperature feels a little chilly to me.

I have perpetually been putting off housework and I think it is time to get to it. Heather, like you, I really dislike vacuuming and it’s not because of any physical pain it causes. I have no problem mopping the floors, but to get there I need to vacuum first.

Tracey – Your GD is adorable. She looks like she loves having her ears pierced and excited about wearing her hoontorns.

Brown Sugar – No longer buy it because I always have molasses in the house. Light brown sugar = 1 cup white sugar and 1 tablespoon of molasses; Dark brown sugar = 1 cup white sugar and 2 tablespoons of molasses.

Barbara – I am with you on pre-logging and pre-bagging. It makes me more aware of what and how much I am eating.

Heather – Glad you were able to get out and enjoy your run. Congratulations on the weight loss. The tulip trees are beautiful and yes, it does look like you are in Florida. I only watch BBC news. American news has gotten so sensational and entertainment driven I simply do not watch it. I miss the days of Walter Cronkite.

Pip – Congratulations on the MS donations and the retirement countdown.

Allie – As each day passes I am sure more weight is lifted off of your shoulders. The doctor is going to have fun when he has no staff the week after next. Honestly, he probably is not aware it is due to how the staff is treated.

Okie – With all of the news it is also spreading what I call hurricane numbness. Here in Florida the news peeps over react to every storm in the ocean, people go crazy getting ready and then there is no storm. After a few of these types of episodes during any given season people start tampering off on their preparations and are not prepared when a storm actually strikes.

Beth – I have cut down upon my tendency to overbuy because I realized it stemmed from not always having a lot of food when I was a child. I always have a minimum of two weeks of food in the house most of which are pantry items that can easily be turned in to meals. Between storm preparation and not knowing what the future may bring I think it is good practice.

Anna – I hope prom dress shopping was successful.

Machka – Yes, I would enjoy 14 days of home time too even if I had to log in every day and still work. I am glad I have the flexibility to work remote which I usually do once a week.

Michelle – Glad you are safely home and the ride back was uneventful. Do you have someone who can get that bag of refrigerated items out of the condo? I cannot imagine the stench next year.

Katla – So sorry about the fender bender.

Rant About Volunteer Group
    Some may remember I mentioned last month one of the gals from work went gleaning with me. During the time we spent together we discussed starting a volunteer group at work where we would organize monthly outings with our like-minded co-workers.
    Before we are allowed to organize anything at work we must clear with HR. I totally agree with the practice since it is a work environment. HR agreed to let us move forward but will not allow us to coordinate gleanings. This is due in part because the organization has “ministries” in its title. Please note during the gleanings there is no mention of religion or is the produce restricted to religious-based food banks or soup kitchens. In fact, I found out about the gleanings through my boss’s participation in Junior League which vets all events and will not allow religious-based activities.
    To say we are a little disappointed in HR’s decision is an understatement. I will continue to glean and my co-worker friend and I have decided when we are at other sanctioned events we will mention to others but will not speak about it at work. I know subversive……
    All that said we are coordinating our first even for March 21st which will be a “Keep Our Beaches Clean” event. We are both excited to see where this goes and are hopeful we are able to pull together enough people so work will eventually sponsor some events.
    I will also be attending a cereal drive on March 19th. So my March calendar is filling up with volunteer activities.
    Thinking positive thoughts the events can go on in light of governance to avoid situations where 10 or more people are gathered.

It’s off to the races for me. I have moved all of my clocks forward and now feel half the day is gone! I am not looking forward to my body adjusting to the time change next week but am certainly looking forward to the extra hour of light in the evening when I get home.

Best to all – SuziQ SFL
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,875 Member
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Machka – Yes, I would enjoy 14 days of home time too even if I had to log in every day and still work. I am glad I have the flexibility to work remote which I usually do once a week.

Best to all – SuziQ SFL

I wish I could work from home. Well, I could ... it can be set up and has been for some employees who have been there much longer than I have and I can access some stuff from home. But I've tried to propose the idea and have received a big "nope" in answer.

I wish I could take all my courses at home too.

It would be so much less time consuming to just get up and go to work rather than spending 45 minutes on the bus each way.

M in Oz
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    MACHKA & VIV ~ HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO YOU BOTH! y6tfumfs3gdg.png

Tracy ~ Your granddaughter is a cutie! :)

Carol in GA
  • kymarai
    Options
    Okay....made up my 10 minutes from last night.Now to get another 10 in later
    😋
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,345 Member
    Options
    Did a yoga for the back DVD. I have to do this one again. The cover says it’s 60 minutes, but I only got 20. Need to find out where the other 40 minutes are. The plan for tomorrow is to do a Rockin Body DVD (a new one)

Katla – thank the good lord that you’re OK. I’m sorry that happened to you. It can be so frustrating!

Yippee, yippee, yippee (can you tell I’m happy?) we push the clocks ahead an hour

suziQ – I didn’t know that you could make your own brown sugar! I called the guy who is the president of the condo assoc, real nice guy, does a lot for the condo assoc, and he went up right after I called and threw everything out. Now that I think of it, we do keep the refrig plugged in, just lower setting. I should have asked him to put some of the items in the freezer (like the butter and cheese). We’ll see how it lasts until next year. And who knows? Maybe we’ll be down there before then (well, I can hope, can’t I?) But I didn't.

It looks like it’s only the onion grass that grew, so if we get rid of that….we can stay longer. My mind is thinking….:) I honestly do not like coming back and having to wear pants.

Forgot to make something for this gal at ceramics so made the crust this morning. Need to go to WalMart and then Aldi (you can get some things at one store and some at another)

Michele back in NC
  • Maritill
    Maritill Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,
    Have a lot of reading to catch up on. Just read pgs 19-22. Keeping busy. Pulled everything out of pantry last week and cleaned the shelves. Put back about 75%, the rest has to be figured out. Today is Sat. and I go for my weigh in at the health center at 9. Earlier this week I made corn chowder and it seemed to be lacking something and I can't figure out what. It's corn, celery, onions, potatoes and milk,s&p. No taste. What can I add to this to zip it up. Have alot left over.
    I'm still tracking my food. Took 2 days off from the gym this week.
    I don't meal prep and don't like eating the same thing every single day. I do dif. varieties of yogurt now as I grew up on cereal for breakfast every day. I even switched to SpecialK cereals but haven't had them in over a year. I received a waffle maker for Christmas and want to make some but have to get room in freezer first.
    Well, time to get ready for the gym and start the day.
    Have a good weekend.
    Marianne WV
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    Machain the early 1950's London had an inversion. At this time a low grade coal was used because it was cold even more coal was burned. They figured 4000 people died from the effects.

More people are dying from the flu so far.

So I agree we need to keep our perspective.

I do take Covid-19 seriously because if we we do not practice the recommendations the CDC recommends the potential for harm goes up.

I still believe it is the economic impact will be the true fallout. I have lived long enough to gone through many feast and famines with our own finances, so I am doing what I can prepare for this too.

:heart: Margaret

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,875 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Waiting for 2 more riders to come in from our cycling event.

Meanwhile we had a driving tour of a beautiful piece of Tasmania and got out for a walk as well.

We headed up to the north coast to support the riders coming through that town and stayed a while to walk and stop for lunch in a cafe. Then we drove back via another stop for the riders to check on a friend of ours who was waiting there for the riders. When the first riders came in, we drove back to the finish.

It's been a lovely day. Everything is so green from all the rain recently ... it looks like it does in the winter when the world is a blanket of bright green! The sun has been out. The temp got up to about 19C. And the wind wasn't too bad.

But I am tired. Looking forward to sleep. :)

Machka in Oz

All riders are in! Well done to them all. And now I can go to bed.

M in Oz
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Ginny Ohio - Your state opened a hotline up for questions. Indiana (My Moms home town has positive cases - she lived where the railroad track 🛤 is 1 foot here your in Ohio other foot in Indiana so when I visited I can definitely say I was in both states 2 at once) https://www.news5cleveland.com/news/continuing-coverage/coronavirus/ohio-health-officials-open-coronavirus-call-center-staffed-with-experts-to-answer-your-questions
    My Aunt still lives in Ohio she said a guy from Ohio tested positive awhile back on a cruise ship.She sent me this for Ohio Coronovirus positive case -His wife was with him.
    https://www.wkbn.com/news/ohio/northeast-ohio-man-stranded-aboard-cruise-ship-overseas-tests-positive-for-coronavirus/
    Another Ohio Woman was in ship but didn’t test positive luckily https://www.wkbn.com/news/ohio/ohio-woman-speaks-out-from-cruise-ship-quarantined-over-coronavirus/

Got a couple from Ohio on the new cruise ship outbreak too.Im following them for my Aunt who’s in her late 80’s just got out of a month long hospital stay is still doing poorly sad to say. (She keeps having health issues even her eye has some major issues! Too gross to even say made my Csection look tame).

https://www.wdtn.com/news/local-news/dayton-area-couple-on-board-cruise-ship-where-21-tested-positive-for-coronavirus/

Amber Tx

I’m hoping they stay away like the others did before going to Ohio! My Uncle y Cousins 2 also live there care taking for my Aunt. Who knows maybe your neighbor even .Lutz family if sounds familiar tell them Cousin /niece Amber says hi 👋 lol .
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Suzi Q- I didn’t k ow I could make brown sugar sounds less wasteful than buying a box. Of course finding out I can microwave harden brown sugar will help too. Knowing this I don’t need the clay disc for it.

Amber Tx

Just saw my husband cutting the neighbor’s grass along with ours out of boredom (cabin fever already???)
  • Samand303
    Samand303 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Ready to start a healthy weekend!
    ~ Samand
  • SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Maritill wrote: »
    Hi everyone,
    Have a lot of reading to catch up on. Just read pgs 19-22. Keeping busy. Pulled everything out of pantry last week and cleaned the shelves. Put back about 75%, the rest has to be figured out. Today is Sat. and I go for my weigh in at the health center at 9. Earlier this week I made corn chowder and it seemed to be lacking something and I can't figure out what. It's corn, celery, onions, potatoes and milk,s&p. No taste. What can I add to this to zip it up. Have alot left over.
    I'm still tracking my food. Took 2 days off from the gym this week.
    I don't meal prep and don't like eating the same thing every single day. I do dif. varieties of yogurt now as I grew up on cereal for breakfast every day. I even switched to SpecialK cereals but haven't had them in over a year. I received a waffle maker for Christmas and want to make some but have to get room in freezer first.
    Well, time to get ready for the gym and start the day.
    Have a good weekend.
    Marianne WV

Hi Marianne.

Anytime I find something is lacking in savory dishes I find it needs a little salt. I never add salt to any of my dishes. But with corn chowder I would probably add jalapenos. Or, if spice is not what you like I love tarragon when I roast corn. It would probably work in a chowder too.
  • Samand303
    Samand303 Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Marianne I like garlic In just about everything. The spice company, Penzy’s, make a roasted garlic that really pumps up the flavor. They also have tons of interesting spice blends to try. They have stores and are online.
    ~ Samand
  • okiewoman510
    okiewoman510 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    Marianne - I would add garlic and maybe some sour cream (for acidity).

Okie in the TX Hill Country
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Amber - I keep forgetting to say that I put my dark sugar in a Mason jar when I buy it and put a sheet of dampened screwed up kitchen paper in with it. It also works to soften up rock hard chunks overnight. I found that out by googling it. It changed my life! I love household tips. :D

Done 300 extra bonus calories and now I'm eating them. >:) Avocado on a sesame bagel. Heaven!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • kymarai
    Options
    <3
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    Options
    Heather-I own mason jars!! Of course kitchen paper we buy in bulk split with family so lots of it too. I buy the smallest box so not much left after first use but it’s enough for 1 more cake or a brown sugar rub for meats (vegan chicken to regular meats I use honey 🍯 water 💦 brown sugar stir it up put in the meat 🥩 )

Made turkey chili from my stored up foods .Were trying to only have a very very short list for hubby so he can run in early in the morning to grab it fast avoid folks leave (Sam’s club Buisness customers get to go in hours earlier ).So making meals from our stores up stocked shelves only.

For hubby egg y veggie meals (mash potatoes bag kind,cream corn,green beans no salt, egg whites with olive oil y pepper). He’ll eat 2 with his snacks

Made pitcher of crystal light peach 🍑 mango 🥭 tea ☕️ for a couple days.

For me Turkey veggie chili (6 servings)
    Top with 1/2 servings of cheese 🧀
    Black Pepper
    Garlic powder
    Tomato bullion powder knorr
    Chili powder Tomes
    1 can hormel turkey chili (not spicy at all)
    1 can bush’s pinto bean
    1 can bush’s black beans
    1/2 can salt free green beans
    1 can salt free corn 🌽 only one with the cans juices to sweeten it
    Added a little water 💦 too

love avocados! 🥑 add a bag of guacamole seasoning usually bought in seasoning or fresh vegetable produce section. Then spread the guacamole on a slice of wheat toast for hubby. I like it with air fryer heated tortilla chips (cooks oils out of store bought).

Hubby finished are yard some of both neighbors yards.He looked across the street think he actually was considering cutting there’s too! Then he got in the truck drove off to cut his moms,his work,y maybe his sisters if he has time y energy. He might as well start charging at this point. At least he’s getting exercise y fresh air.

I’m washing bedding might as well clean 🧼
    Amber Tx