WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MARCH 2020

Options

Replies

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and evening all,

Just waiting for the clock to turn this morning, so I can run out to the grocery store when they open while it's still empty of people and pick up a few things needed for dinner tonight - and then I'll come back home and take a shower, just in case. The only hard part is not touching my face before I get home. Holy crap, I'm a massive face toucher, and I had no idea I did that!

Margaret - your joy in being able to bring your son home is so wonderful to see. Still waiting for the text message from my son to tell me that he made it to Fayetteville, AR last night. He sent a text saying he was boarding the plane in San Francisco about six p.m. last night, and I'm sure he's safely on the ground and just sleeping in this morning.

Heather - there's a part of me that just wishes I could get the dang C-19 and get it over with, so I have much sympathy. Every time my husband coughs, I peer at him with interest; it's starting to unnerve him. :wink:

Work
    Yesterday's meeting went better than I believed it would, and not only are they not leaning on me to get more, more, more, in terms of grants, they lopped off more than a quarter of my original revenue projection, pulling it down to something almost reasonable to accomplish by the end of September. Huge relief. The entire organization is working at home, and seriously, driving this introvert right round the bend. Seen more people on video calls this week than I've seen in the last six months put together in person. This too will pass, it's just everyone working with a new toy.

C-19
    The Arkansas governor responded to the near doubling of confirmed cases (from 37 to 62) here yesterday by extending the school shutdown through mid-April, and by banning all sit-down restaurants and bars. Restaurants may deliver or use curbside pickups. Curfew in the state capital of Little Rock from midnight to 5 a.m. - which I find a little weird. Does he think that people are just going around sneezing on each other in the dark? But then, as my mama told me once, nothing good ever came from being out after midnight. That was for MY curfew. :)

As far as the governor's changes, I don't have kids in school, don't wander around after midnight, and seldom go to restaurants as my husband's an amazing cook, so it's kind of a big shrug for us. I was able to put in a large order at Walmart this morning for pickup tomorrow afternoon to keep me from having to wander all over the store. This morning is just a few little things, and back to my usual routine.

Happy Friday for those for whom it matters. :)

Later, y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • KJLaMore
    KJLaMore Posts: 2,828 Member
    Options
    Good morning all! Happy Friday! I don't know about you; but I am SO ready for a weekend! I was on vacation last weekend (but is a vacation where you are still chasing after kids, cleaning and cooking, still a vacation?) lol I am hoping to get out early tomorrow morning for my groceries. Fingers crossed I DO find some tp, as I do not "stock up" more than a couple of week's worth and with the extra big kids here, this week, we are running low. I have never been a "bulk" buyer of anything, and I do not plan to "panic" buy, now. I have complete faith in stores, my families, my friends and neighbors, and my own mental acuity to do well in times of crisis.
    I have been doing pretty well sticking to my exercise routine. I did a LOT of walking in Texas, but now that I am home, I am back to yoga, strength training with free weights and elliptical for cardio. I did gain about 5 pounds on vacation (I blame Whataburger and birthday treats), but it will all come back off again. Oddly, I am not feeling the urge to work out. I am doing it anyway, but I really think I am suffering from "virus brain". As with most people, it is on my mind all.of.the.time, and it is mentally exhausting. I just have to remember to breathe through, and focus on how very little my life has actually changed. Summoning my inner Dory (Finding Nemo): "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming..."
    Lanette - You bet your buns I was singing the jingle as I read your doormat!
    Lisa- lol *fart squirrel* still laughing!
    Kylia- Yes, people still have to mow their lawns. I have heard a couple of mowers going this week. We got rain yesterday; hopefully it won't rain all day today, as the kids get a bit squirrely.
    Michele- All kinds of blocks for kids, an abacus (or similar type of toy), a water table (because you can use it indoors as well and fill it with other materials (sand, rice, mud, beans, dried corn, etc), basic buckets or bins with items to fill and empty, balls, a shopping cart with play food, bath toys/crayons, cars and track/ramps. I, personally, try to stay away from any toy that has batteries or makes noise. Probably because I have many kids in my house and don't need/want the extra noise.
    Amber- Don't stress over your favorite stores closing, I am sure if/when you have a need for items for JR, your neighbors and friends will come through for you. I think, one of the things that is happening with the social distancing and the hoarding/stockpiling, is we are finding more people willing to help others who need it, right now. Love to you!

Well, I better get busy. Kids will be arriving soon, and with the rain I have to get on Pinterest and find some "Mountain" activities for the older ones to keep busy. My plan for today was a dune hike; but that might be scrubbed due to rain. Blah.
    ttfn xoxoxo KJ (Kelly)
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,047 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Margaret: I am so happy for you! You get to bring your son home!!! :bigsmile: :heart: :star:

Luci: I’ve had a colonoscopy in the past and will submit to this one. My appointment is not until May. The prep is the worst part. :ohwell:

Allie: Thanks for the good news that Rebecca is okay. :star: Do you know what OMAD is? :huh: I sure don't.

Machka: Thanks for I cannot control / I can control. It is a good reminder for me that my actions will benefit me if I am paying attention and doing safe and positive things. :heart: I can hardly wait to see the photos of you in your hoop skirts. :wink:

Barbara the Southern Oregon Coastie: DH is in a better frame of mind today than for the past while. We did a project here in the house that has big rewards. He was the brains of the project and I was the gofer. The honeycomb blinds in our bedroom are all working properly now after a long time of not so great. YAY! :star: I’m reading a series of books by Robyn Carr, the Thunder Point Novels. These books are set on the Southern Oregon Coast. It is all fiction, especially the relatively short distances they drive to visit family in Eugene and the Portland area. I’ve driven that freeway and it is a LONG drive. The road between the coast and I-5 is also a long drive. I’m enjoying the books but grumpy about the geography. :grumble: I keep reading anyway. :bigsmile:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

Unless they suspect something I would put off your colonoscopy until at least July. If we follow the trajetory of China we will still be in the thick of this in May. They might even call you to reschedule. I called in my dental to put it off until June.

Lisa good news about your son! I think many of us are feeling we want to be in a safe place and our loved ones!

:heart: Margaret
  • LuciBThinner
    LuciBThinner Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    HAPPY INTERNATIONAL DAY OF HAPPINESS! What are you doing to increase your happiness today?? Hope everyone is remembering self-care during these stressful times!
    tgenz4zufaka.jpg

I’m starting to become aware of more and more people who have been exposed. No one close to me is seriously ill…I am so grateful for that! I hope we can all get through this and life will become whatever our new normal will be. Social distancing sucks – even though I don’t mind keeping to myself, when I do see people I care about, I am a physical person. The idea of stopping hugs sounds awful to me!

Beth I like your idea of writing letters again. I haven’t written letters in so long.

Amber So happy your husband is an involved father! Makes so much difference when someone shares the responsibilities!

Machka It’s good to have the visual on what we can and cannot control! 1. Make a plan to help you keep calm and stay in contact: My plan for today is to look at everything for the perspective of a 3-month-old. 😊 Make sure my immediate needs are met, learn whatever I can, enjoy my day!

Well, I am hoping to get some sleep over the weekend. I feel pretty run down. Not resting well, and Baby is wearing me out a bit…but, I wouldn’t have it any other way!!! Love that beautiful smiley face keeping me sane! Hoping to get some walking in this weekend. I have had a lot of exercise with Baby, but I feel the need to take a long walk – maybe it’s a good weekend to visit the waterfalls? (We live near a lot of them.)

Barbie Very impressed with how you appear to have things organized and accomplished on time. (From a procrastinator!)

Margaret I think a garden will be a wonderful step toward recovery!!

Katla I agree. The colonoscopy prep is the worst part. Since I have IBS, the prep isn’t a whole lot different than normal life for me. Not wild about the drink though! I must admit I enjoy the little trip to my happy place during the procedure. 😊

Heather I sure hope you are okay!! Sorry you are experiencing uncomfortable symptoms! Hope they subside very quickly! Concerned for you – there are a lot of things going around here besides the virus…many people having flu and upper respiratory trouble here. – Just read you are feeling better. YAY!!

Karen I may have to give in to the trend to put up Christmas lights for cheer during the virus! Excited for my weekend of Christmas movies…lol!

Have a wonderful and HAPPY :) day, Everyone!! <3 Luci in WNC
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    It's Friday, ladies! What a week, eh? B)

Margaret
    - so happy for you and I agree with Barbara, would love to hear your singing.

Beth, Amber and all of you scratch cooks - yep, great opportunity to prepare, freeze, extend what's been lurking in the pantry. Thought I was cleaning out the freezer but I keep piling leftovers in it. The other day I found a package of blueberries from 2017 when I was rearranging and they were delish. My favorite fruit to freeze.

Machka
    - thank you for the coping calendar - and thanks to others who have posted similar.

Rori - ((((HUGS)))) Wishing peace at your house during this crazy time.

Hope everyone's traveling kids are making it home safe and sound. <3

Regarding this invisible enemy....
    Facebook is jammed with great ideas right now on how to re-use. Many stories about dentist offices and others who use face masks and are now closed who are donating to the local hospital. People and businesses pouring forth resources and time to get each other through.

So I went to Safeway yesterday, arrived in the midst of the "senior only" time. Parking lot was packed. I only needed a few things. Many, many seniors in there with carts piled high, some had on face masks. Some barely able to walk. :( But they were making it though. Everyone was patient and helping each other through crowded aisles. Sadly, no TP or other paper items.

Got thru the self-checkout with my items and jetted across town to hit Walgreens, which wasn't open yet. Walmart across the street was, and very few cars in the parking lot. :o They must have all been at Safeway! Went in and saw folks coming through with TP so I got a package, a store employee was enforcing the "one per person" and the pile was dwindling. My friends are commenting they are getting low on TP and bleach wipes, so every time I see some I'll will start grabbing extras for them.

Then I went to the cannabis store - they were nearly sold out of many things! Folks are going to keep calm thru this, no matter what. :D For those ladies whose DH's are anxious - mine isn't, and this is probably one reason why. I am so grateful.

A few more stops and made it home with everything I needed and other than a trip to the grocery store some time in the future, we should be fine.

Yesterday afternoon I saw an eagle...maybe 2 (they were pretty high up!) soaring in the sky, a little murder of crows trailing them. It occurred to me that nothing has changed in their world. And it gave me a little lift. o:)B)

Will check back here later. So grateful we have this place.

Lanette
    SW WA State where we're supposed to hit 65 today and I'm going to start potting up little tomato seedlings. Spring is coming, flowers are blooming. A great day to be alive.

• KetoneKaren
    KetoneKaren Posts: 6,411 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Lanette I cannot fathom how I missed your door mat but I DID!!! Will you post it again? I don't feel like scrolling back :)

>>>

Adorable video of penguins wandering around Shedd Aquarium in Chicago:

• SuziQ113
    SuziQ113 Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone.

It’s my wish everyone is settling in to what has become our new normal. I am still adjusting and attempting to rework my routine. It has been nice not having to fight traffic and get dressed in office clothes. I am sure when this thing lessens I will be happy to resume those same things.

Heather – Very sorry to hear about your friend. Testing has been a challenge here too, but things are moving along. They now have a 4-hour test being used and have set up drive through testing sites. It’s great to hear you are receiving calls and your family and friends are checking in with you. Hope you start feeling better soon!

Evelyn – It seems you are looking at the positive side of things and I am finding the commute-time savings a plus. It’s also good your boss/company will continue with full wages with the reduced hours.

Machka – I probably would be out too, if I had to physically show up for work. But, there are many still going out every day when there is no need – emphasis on need. Since I am able to work remote I am making do with what I have and creating a list. If and when I go out, which will happen, it will be to replenish everything needed in one outing. What a nice story regarding the fellow beach walker. I know you are somewhat introverted….but there is nothing wrong with telling someone please stop getting close to me. I actually started doing it at both work and while out in the stores last week in a nice but firm way.

Lisa in AR – Big hug to you and your daughter. The challenges for parents with children at home has got to be overwhelming.

Margaret – I am so happy for you. Praying your son settles in quickly. It is so much better to be with family. Thank you for the non-spoiler post. I put my in a spoiler because so many are feeling so anxious and cannot read/hear about it anymore.

Janetr – So happy your daughter found a place. Yes, it is a little bit away, but something she (and you) can look forward to.

Flea – Oh, my. You have a full house. I would probably be rationing!

Katla – Hoping you are able to get your doctor on the phone for an explanation. It will make an informed decision easier.

Carol GA – Prayers for your BIL. Keep us posted.

Allie – I think as more tests become available we will start to see more of those we know and have had contact with have covid-19. Which is the primary reason for all of us to stay hunkered down and to stop socializing. Because it is not just caught by those who have it - it is also caught by being in contact with those who have been in contact with the patient.

Tracey – Sorry about the car woes. I was praying it was only the battery.

KJ – I have a funny feeling you are going to be extremely busy over the next few weeks/months. And, may find, many clients will not want their children cared for by anyone else once this is over. If you cannot locate TP I would ask the parents to bring a roll, if they can, to assist. I am sure they will understand.

Rori – Hoping you find some balance and the talk with the VA social worker provides some peace.

Michelle – From everything I have read it seems like you have quite a bit of food around. Can you not wait until your WM order hits $30? Yes, I know you are gaining one more in the house, but it seems silly to keep running out – you are only exposing yourself and others with every trip you make.

Okie – Thank you. I had to make or freeze the bananas for smoothies. I have had a sweet tooth probably due to residual stress so thought why not. Now freezing most for the next “urge”.

Kim – Sorry about the “girly” drill. Charlie had to ask me exactly what I was looking for so I gave him a few pictures from sales ads.

Luci – Many here in SFL are putting up Christmas lights as a signal of unity. I am actually thinking about putting some up this weekend in the courtyard. It will certainly cheer me up while sitting in my courtyard and/or looking out from my windows.

Lanette – Nature sure is a stabilizing factor. Wildlife continues onward and is sticking with its routine.

Home Workouts – MFP added a new drop down to its mobile app. It’s good to see how quickly many companies are reacting to our new normal. I have not yet checked it out.

Dry Hands – For all of us who are constantly washing our hands and are now finding them dry and cracking the best thing is to attempt to find a barrier cream. Avon (remember them) used to sell Silicon Glove. Home solution – olive oil and gloves every night prior to going to bed. Natural and works extremely well as a total body moisturizer.

Netflix Viewers – There is an interesting limited series called Pandemic – How to Prevent an Outbreak. It touches upon most of the things we have discussed here and what is being worked upon from vaccines to worldwide pandemic control.

General commentary on possible treatments – We all need to error on the side of caution with these announcements. One of the drugs has already been proven not to be effective (Ebola treatment). The other, even if still promising and fast tracked, will require numerous trials. Promising results in 40 patients is not sufficient enough to call it a cure. We will be looking at a minimum of three to six months of trials. Right now they are only using it in a “compassionate care” situation which basically means nothing else works, the patient is failing and the doctor requests he/she can use it in treatment. It is my feeling when most of gen pop hear these things they feel, oh everything will be ok, and then continue as if everything is normal. These are not normal times.

For those of you who are frustrated with your mates, family, etc. Please be happy. The other side of the coin, which is me by myself, is lack of any type of socializing. I have not seen another human in four days. And, it only makes me miss Charlie more. This would be so much easier for me if I had a loved one next to me. TG I have had my share of hurricanes by myself so at least I have a little practice. But I feel this time around will last so much longer and am praying I have the stamina to stay positive.

On a good note - it seems our (sorry about the politics) government here in the States will be cutting a safety net check for everyone. I keep missing the details but it should be around $1200/working person. I am sure there will be income limitations which is good. They are also setting up a site for self-employed persons and are suggesting to complete the form as soon as possible. Again, I missed the details, but may be worth some research for many of you.

Stay safe, stay home, stay beautiful, stay strong.
    SuziQ - SFL
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,337 Member
    Options
    Did Kathy Smith’s Fat Burning Workout DVD. The plan for tomorrow is to do Denise Austin’s Fat Blasting Yoga DVD

I’m going to go to the soup kitchen today. Last night Vince was telling me how worried he is. Well, there haven’t been any reported cases of COVID-19 in our county. I admit, I’m a bit worried, too. But my heart is telling me that these people need to be served. Jess is coming home from college today. She’s a BIG worrywart. So I’m thinking that perhaps I should just volunteer every other week, this way I’ll feel that I’m doing something and I’ll also be thinking of Vince’s feelings. I don’t know. What do you all think?

Vince wanted me to go to Aldi today but first stop at PetSmart to see if they got Lexi’s food in. The Sears by us is going out of business (not a surprise) and everything is 70% off. I remember when the Sears in Vero Beach had that and I got some really good buys. So I would like to go there. I may go when they open before the soup kitchen. I was planning to go to WM to get my prescriptions before the soup kitchen but maybe I’ll go after the soup kitchen, skip Aldi for today, then come home to help Vince cut the grass

Barbara – if the governor passes a stay home order, how do they address the soup kitchens?

Still exercising every day.

KJ – So far I’ve gotten PJ this FP (Fisher Price) Fire Engine, Tool Truck and Tipper Truck. Mainly because I got these $20 toys for $8. They’re brand new (I know she’ll like that). I’m thinking of one of those toys, the Bead Maze toys https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B083NJH1K7/?coliid=I1HGR2Z4MVWGMW&colid=2VZM1STUB12W8&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it&th=1 I’ve asked her if that’s something she’d like but haven’t heard back. She did ask me (for Christmas) for a set of those letters that you use in the tub that stick to the sides of the tub so I got them. Only she went out and bought them, too. She said she was going to return hers, I wonder if she did. Anyway, that is why right now I’m going to ask her, not try to surprise her and get things that she asked for

Hopefully, while Jess is here she and I can play some board/card games. Vince isn’t really interested and I’d like to do something different

Yea! Have shorts on today, the paper says the high today will be in the upper 70’s. Maybe people will see that my legs aren’t totally white.

SuziQ – I do need to go to WM today to get my prescriptions and we need milk so I do need to go to Aldi. Otherwise, I’m going to try to stay home as much as possible.

Michele NC
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,907 Member
    Options
    :)SuziQ Thank you for reminding me of how fortunate I am to have my husband to keep me company. My long time friend in California has dealt for ten years with the loss of her husband by a daily round of activities (tennis, personal trainer, manicure, AA meetings, dinner with friends) and now she is faced with solitude and has only the phone for keeping in touch with others. I send greetings and warm wishes to you. One day at a time, you'll have the stamina to stay positive. You will find wells of strength inside you that you didn't realize you had.

<3 Barbie
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    Government checks...
    A reminder to those of us in the US who might be receiving checks.... we need to know the tax status. Will it or will it not be subject to income tax? Seems like when we received a similar check a decade or two ago, we were able to deduct it from from gross income. If my memory is right....

If we are getting extra $$ which our household is lucky enough to not need at this time, it will enable us to help others who really are having hardship. I see plenty of opportunities out there. I am thinking of getting grocery store gift certificates, or perhaps gift certificates to our favorite restaurant so they can keep paying their staff. Ways to use this windfall to help others stay afloat.

And we can even buy gift certificates online for many places if we don't want to leave the house.

Thanks again for technology!

<3

Lanette
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,844 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    Barbara – if the governor passes a stay home order, how do they address the soup kitchens?

Michele NC

That would be a good question to ask whoever runs/manages the soup kitchen ... what plans do they have in place when everything is locked down?

Also, with all that running around you do every day to various shops, you might need to investigate ways to do it online.

M in Oz

• kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,606 Member
    Options
    <3
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,830 Member
    Options
    Not much changed here. Too quiet for me!

RV Rita
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Heather: Feeling fluey is worrisome. I hope you’re better soon. :heart:

Kylia: I hope you’re dry and safe. Flooding on top of everything else going on these days is not a good situation. :noway:

Margaret: You have a beautiful singing voice. The gift of song is precious and I particularly love ’Tis a Gift to be Simple . :flowerforyou: :heart:

Stores are open in our town and schools are closed until April 28 by order of the Governor. I wonder whether they’ll have school through a chunk of summer. School employees are being paid and free and reduced lunches are available to kids.

No yoga today. :ohwell:

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Even after I volunteered to do the shopping, my parents snuck out. Aarrgghh! We don't even need anything. My mom is just restless and it will get them both sick.
    Annie in Delaware