Coronavirus prep

Replies

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    my best friend's is also somewhere between 96 & 97 degrees F. She would always have a time convincing staff at clinics that 98.6 degrees was a fever for her.
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,052 Member
    Ruatine wrote: »
    I'm another who's normal temp is lower than the average - 97.5 usually. I'm definitely running a fever if I hit 99+. I felt like death when I hit 103 when I had a kidney infection a couple years ago.

My grandmother reached out about needing flour and eggs by the end of the week. I'm so glad she's taking this seriously and staying home and reaching out to family for help.

Meanwhile my state's dear lieutenant gov. has been spouting nonsense about getting back to normal and trying to speak for all seniors about how they're willing to place themselves at risk for the economy. :neutral:

Haha, I know what state you're in.

(It's not really funny, but some things are so off-the-wall wrong that laughter is an automatic response).

In that boat with you guys and SMDH
  • lkpducky
    lkpducky Posts: 16,715 Member
    That "secret and destructive war..." has nothing to do with the video, I have NO idea what that's for.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,157 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    I received my first instacart order yesterday. I scheduled delivery for a day I could get the first delivery window. It was delayed twice in the morning, and my shopper was unable to fulfill: chicken, eggs, yogurt and flour. We have plenty of food (fresh produce & dried goods), but it would be nice to replenish animal protein eventually. That was Aldi, and I have a delivery scheduled from Tom Thumb this weekend so I'll take another swing at those items.

For regular instacart users, how often are items on your order not fulfilled? Do you notice different patterns for different stores?

I haven't tried instacart during the current madness, but in the past there would maybe be one or two items that were either switched out (Oscar Meyer bacon instead of Hormel, for example) or not fulfilled. About the same as if I went to the store myself. These days, I'd say they can't bring you what isn't on the shelves. I was at Safeway mid-afternoon yesterday and none of the items you mentioned were anywhere to be found in my store. And I beat the big rush that came when the mayor announced a stay-at-home order!
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    I wish the US media would report the number of people hospitalized, not just cases and deaths. The number of cases depends heavily on testing (which the CDC is no longer recommending except for the high-risk and/or seriously ill), and the death toll in the US probably sounds "low" to many here who insist this is so much better than the flu. If they included the number hospitalized, they might be able to better see how NYC hospitals will soon be overloaded.

The Worldometer site gives the number of 'serious/acute' cases for each country. Worldwide it's only about 4% are acute. Today in the US it's 1,175 out of 51,928 total active cases. I thought it was interesting that Germany has so few serious cases, as a percentage of total active cases. I assume it's because they are testing more so catching people before the virus gets serious. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    I wish the US media would report the number of people hospitalized, not just cases and deaths. The number of cases depends heavily on testing (which the CDC is no longer recommending except for the high-risk and/or seriously ill), and the death toll in the US probably sounds "low" to many here who insist this is so much better than the flu. If they included the number hospitalized, they might be able to better see how NYC hospitals will soon be overloaded.

The Worldometer site gives the number of 'serious/acute' cases for each country. Worldwide it's only about 4% are acute. Today in the US it's 1,175 out of 51,928 total active cases. I thought it was interesting that Germany has so few serious cases, as a percentage of total active cases. I assume it's because they are testing more so catching people before the virus gets serious. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

That's exactly what they're doing. They're basically testing everyone proactively...that's what South Korea did as well to catch as many as possible and quarantine.
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member

However what you're proposing doesn't include those, whom haven't sought medical attention yet because of being told to stay home since they'd be sent home anyway.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Italy had another spike today in reported deaths. It should be a lesson to all of us. What I have heard happen is that when Milan was getting ready to lock down, many of their young got on trains and fled the area, concerned to be restricted. This, I believe, is the second "wave" from that. I had hoped their numbers would continue to go down.

I'm afraid we're about to see numbers of 500, then 1000 dying a day (or more) by next week. We can't go back to "business as usual" until all the doctors and nurses have adequate protection, ventilators, supplies and aren't putting their lives in danger. Perhaps when they are taken care of first (and those at risk with masks and gloves), then we can work on getting masks and gloves for the general public. At the rate our government is getting things done, that would be like end of Summer. I can also see a mass produced stop gap vaccine using antibodies of those that have recovered by then. Give it to those in greatest risk first (the medical providers and elderly and those with preexisting conditions) and then the rest of us. Then, we can all get back to work. But that's four months from now minimum and would require a government to govern.

At this stage, I have way more faith in the private sector than I do the public sector.

It's going to be interesting in the US because there has been little to no organized national response really. State governors and local officials are all doing their own thing. I'm pretty pleased with New Mexico's response so far. Our governor acted pretty quickly...we had our first 3 presumptive positives on Wednesday March 11.

Schools were closed by Thursday afternoon across the state and people were told to socially distance and work from home when and where possible and gatherings of more than 25 people were banned. By the following week gatherings were further reduced and restaurants and whatnot were told they could only provide take out and delivery services and urged all non essential business to shut down. Gyms and other recreational facilities were ordered to close.

The only issue I've had so far is that urging for non essential business to close didn't really do much, so an enforceable order was given yesterday afternoon and gatherings are now limited to 5 or less. I think that enforceable order should have came last week, but a lot of people were thinking things were going too far as we had less than 30 cases at that time. It's probably changed today....haven't checked, but as of yesterday we were still under 100 and what she's done so far has seemed to be relatively proactive.

I am also hopeful that my state will also be able to get back to business sooner rather than later...we are a very rural state with a population of only about 2 million...there is a lot of social distancing baked into the cake here. Albuquerque is currently and will most likely remain the hardest hit as the population epicenter of the state. I reside in a quite, rural village outside of the city, but unfortunately we do have to go into the greater metro area to grocery shop and whatnot...but we are seriously considering using grocery delivery services at this point.

Still under 100, but it's interesting that the majority are under 50 years old. Should be a lesson to people.