Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    jenilla1 wrote: »

I ran some math numbers for my mother yesterday which I hope she understood and took to heart: if you have 50% of the some 330 million people in the US get this, with 10% of that number being hospitalized for serious cases, you have some 16.5 million people needing extreme care. If only 1% of those people die from this, that's still 165,000 people. And yet there are still some people who claim this isn't any worse than the flu!...

My understanding is NOT that 1% of people who are hospitalized die. It's 1% of people who get infected will die. So if you run your numbers again, if half the people get it, then 1% of that half dies = 1,650,000. That's 10 times as many.

maybe so, but that just means my estimate was extremely conservative; in any case, the big question is whether or not my mother took me seriously. My family typically dismisses me as a "know it all" who don't know what she's talking about.......like when I tried to explain to my mother that baldness does not pass through from the mother's side of the family as that's not how genes work. She insists though that because her father had a full head of hair, that my brother will never need to worry about going bald because "it comes from the mother's side". *sigh*

Um, there absolutely are recessive traits passed on the X chromosome, and since men only get an X chromosome from their mother, the trait passes from the mother's side of the family to her sons, e.g., color blindness. So, yes, that is one way that genes work. A quick Google search suggests that baldness is controlled by multiple genes, so it's probably not straight-forward.
    Even in the case of X linked traits, the mother’s father is not a clear indicator since she also got an X from her own mother, who would not have shown male pattern baldness herself but could have been a carrier for it.

I didn't say anything about the mother's father's appearance, much less say it was an absolute prediction. I said that it is not correct that "baldness does not pass through from the mother's side of the family as that's not how genes work," according to bmeadows. Even if we completely remove consideration of X-linked genes, and think about genes that occur on both the X and Y chromosome, you still get genetic material from your maternal line that could be expressed in your appearance, etc.

And the mother's mother is as much a part of the mother's side of the family as the mother's father is.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    One thing I've got a question on: how effective really are these temperature checks? I had to go in to get lab bloodwork done today; if it wasn't for the fact that the bloodwork was needed because we're trying to get my thyroid meds straightened out, I would have delayed it. Before I could enter the clinic, a nurse had to check my temperature. My employer also is insisting that if we must go onto company premises, we must do a temperature check first.

But I thought that you could be contagious for a while before symptoms started to occur, so how does this really effectively slow down the spread?

Catching some people is better than catching no people. The fact that such checks aren't perfect is a reason why social distancing is needed.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options

I ran some math numbers for my mother yesterday which I hope she understood and took to heart: if you have 50% of the some 330 million people in the US get this, with 10% of that number being hospitalized for serious cases, you have some 16.5 million people needing extreme care. If only 1% of those people die from this, that's still 165,000 people. And yet there are still some people who claim this isn't any worse than the flu!...

My understanding is NOT that 1% of people who are hospitalized die. It's 1% of people who get infected will die. So if you run your numbers again, if half the people get it, then 1% of that half dies = 1,650,000. That's 10 times as many.

maybe so, but that just means my estimate was extremely conservative; in any case, the big question is whether or not my mother took me seriously. My family typically dismisses me as a "know it all" who don't know what she's talking about.......like when I tried to explain to my mother that baldness does not pass through from the mother's side of the family as that's not how genes work. She insists though that because her father had a full head of hair, that my brother will never need to worry about going bald because "it comes from the mother's side". *sigh*

Um, there absolutely are recessive traits passed on the X chromosome, and since men only get an X chromosome from their mother, the trait passes from the mother's side of the family to her sons, e.g., color blindness. So, yes, that is one way that genes work. A quick Google search suggests that baldness is controlled by multiple genes, so it's probably not straight-forward.
    Even in the case of X linked traits, the mother’s father is not a clear indicator since she also got an X from her own mother, who would not have shown male pattern baldness herself but could have been a carrier for it.

I didn't say anything about the mother's father's appearance, much less say it was an absolute prediction. I said that it is not correct that "baldness does not pass through from the mother's side of the family as that's not how genes work," according to bmeadows. Even if we completely remove consideration of X-linked genes, and think about genes that occur on both the X and Y chromosome, you still get genetic material from your maternal line that could be expressed in your appearance, etc.

And the mother's mother is as much a part of the mother's side of the family as the mother's father is.

Yep, you’re correct. I was mainly responding to @bmeadows380 whose mom seems to believe that her father’s full head of hair means she can’t be a carrier of male pattern baldness. She’s correct about “how genes work” insofar as such genes can’t be passed on to a son through his father but incorrect about her own inheritance being only through her own father.

There’s actually at least one exception to the rule that a son can’t inherit x linked traits through his father. There are a few men (about 1 in 500) who have two X chromosomes (Kleinfelter’s syndrome) without being aware of it. The extra x comes from the mother or father with more or less equal chance. Such men could have inherited an x from their fathers.
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options
    Italy had another spike today in reported deaths. It should be a lesson to all of us. What I have heard happen is that when Milan was getting ready to lock down, many of their young got on trains and fled the area, concerned to be restricted. This, I believe, is the second "wave" from that. I had hoped their numbers would continue to go down.

I'm afraid we're about to see numbers of 500, then 1000 dying a day (or more) by next week. We can't go back to "business as usual" until all the doctors and nurses have adequate protection, ventilators, supplies and aren't putting their lives in danger. Perhaps when they are taken care of first (and those at risk with masks and gloves), then we can work on getting masks and gloves for the general public. At the rate our government is getting things done, that would be like end of Summer. I can also see a mass produced stop gap vaccine using antibodies of those that have recovered by then. Give it to those in greatest risk first (the medical providers and elderly and those with preexisting conditions) and then the rest of us. Then, we can all get back to work. But that's four months from now minimum and would require a government to govern.

At this stage, I have way more faith in the private sector than I do the public sector.

I don't know where you are, or how you define "we," but global daily deaths have been over 1,000 since March 19 and hit 2,381 yesterday (March 24).

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-toll/
  • lynn_glenmont
    Options

Yep, you’re correct. I was mainly responding to @bmeadows380 whose mom seems to believe that her father’s full head of hair means she can’t be a carrier of male pattern baldness. She’s correct about “how genes work” insofar as such genes can’t be passed on to a son through his father but incorrect about her own inheritance being only through her own father.

There’s actually at least one exception to the rule that a son can’t inherit x linked traits through his father. There are a few men (about 1 in 500) who have two X chromosomes (Kleinfelter’s syndrome) without being aware of it. The extra x comes from the mother or father with more or less equal chance. Such men could have inherited an x from their fathers.

Sorry, I misunderstood your point. And I'm apparently not understanding your point here, as bmeadows didn't say that baldness genes can't be passed on to a son through his father, so your saying they were correct about saying something they didn't say is confusing me.

Yes, I shouldn't have assumed that all men are XY. Good point.
  • jo_nz
    jo_nz Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Just got my emergency alert, in case I'd somehow missed that we are going on lockdown. The alert sound on my phone was suitably obnoxious and attention grabbing...

q1wgbad2xan0.png

Yep, couldn't miss that! 📣 Hope they don't need to put out too many of those alerts.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Just got my emergency alert, in case I'd somehow missed that we are going on lockdown. The alert sound on my phone was suitably obnoxious and attention grabbing...

91027955_2852486098176570_7173085461563310080_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&_nc_sid=110474&_nc_ohc=x8bG2ACms38AX9pD7U5&_nc_ht=scontent.fwlg2-1.fna&oh=8b4a0bf7651f720aaf85f983683eedf7&oe=5EA0537A

Wow - I just looked up your rules and they seem not that different from the “stay at home” order we’re under in Memphis, except for the dire warning about picking your residence immediately. What about people who can’t reach their residence by tonight? Are they doomed to shelter in place in a hotel?
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    jo_nz wrote: »

q1wgbad2xan0.png

Yep, couldn't miss that! 📣 Hope they don't need to put out too many of those alerts.

We have definitely all been told now! And yes, hopefully not. In an ideal world, we go back to Level 3 in a month, and then maybe oscillate between 2 and 3 for however long it takes. I dragged enough work home to keep me going for a couple of months though, just in case.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I think this is really lovely. Our PM doing a very relaxed evening check in (in her sweats, having just put her wee girl to bed), answering questions live on Facebook. She apologised for the alert siren :lol:

https://www.facebook.com/jacindaardern/videos/147109069954329/

Your PM is amazing! You all should be so proud. <3
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    I have noticed a new trend on the news page I frequent - younger people sharing their experience with COVID, and reiterating that it is NOT like the flu. I think the personal stories are good to have out there...

My uncle in IL is back in the hospital with COVID symptoms and we are told it’s not looking good. He’s in his early 70’s I believe and was fighting major health issues before this all started. My dad is struggling. He is also the one that oversees my 94 year old grandmother in a nursing home near him.

I'm sorry :( It's a very sad state of affairs to be sure. Take care of yourself!
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Does anyone know the list of most recent state shut downs? I know Vermont and Washington are(I think!) as of 5 p.m. today. What other states are on that list? I google for info and I only get news from a day or more ago, which in this current environment, is already old news. :( Thank you!
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Prince Charles tested positive, it’s being reported. He’s self isolating in Scotland. No other members of the royal family are positive so far.
    ReenieHJ wrote: »
    Does anyone know the list of most recent state shut downs? I know Vermont and Washington are(I think!) as of 5 p.m. today. What other states are on that list? I google for info and I only get news from a day or more ago, which in this current environment, is already old news. :( Thank you!

There are quite a few states. The strictest are NY and CA, but people are being allowed to leave their homes for food, medicine, gas.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    Options
    Italy had another spike today in reported deaths. It should be a lesson to all of us. What I have heard happen is that when Milan was getting ready to lock down, many of their young got on trains and fled the area, concerned to be restricted. This, I believe, is the second "wave" from that. I had hoped their numbers would continue to go down.

I'm afraid we're about to see numbers of 500, then 1000 dying a day (or more) by next week. We can't go back to "business as usual" until all the doctors and nurses have adequate protection, ventilators, supplies and aren't putting their lives in danger. Perhaps when they are taken care of first (and those at risk with masks and gloves), then we can work on getting masks and gloves for the general public. At the rate our government is getting things done, that would be like end of Summer. I can also see a mass produced stop gap vaccine using antibodies of those that have recovered by then. Give it to those in greatest risk first (the medical providers and elderly and those with preexisting conditions) and then the rest of us. Then, we can all get back to work. But that's four months from now minimum and would require a government to govern.

At this stage, I have way more faith in the private sector than I do the public sector.

I don't know where you are, or how you define "we," but global daily deaths have been over 1,000 since March 19 and hit 2,381 yesterday (March 24).

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/coronavirus-death-toll/

Sorry, should have said in the US. It's followed (and still continues to) the same exact curve that Italy did. I do realize what you said if you go back over my past posts. I'm in AZ. All I'm observing is that we will be Italy's numbers times our population (times six I believe).