Coronavirus prep

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    Ruatine wrote: »
    I braved the grocery store today in the Chicago area.

They were fairly well-stocked, except for paper products and dairy. There was minimal milk, cheese, and eggs. Not totally out, but choices were limited. I had to get organic, brown, cage-free eggs (for $4 a dozen). Fancy cheese was plentiful as was organic milk ($6 a gallon). This is okay temporarily but my husband was laid off so we are operating at half out regular income here. If this continues, I might have to check other stores in the area for better deals. Everything else I needed, I got...meat was fully stocked.

People were good about waiting 6 feet apart at the checkout lanes, and cashiers were disinfecting their stations between every customer.

As an amusing side-note, the cars in the parking lot were parked in every other space. Do cars need to social distance?
    (Yeah, I know, people were probably thinking that they didn't want to get too close to anyone while loading their groceries, but it just looked funny to me).

Single income household here too (my husband is in school full time). I noticed the same thing the last time I was in the grocery store - only milk available was Fairlife, which was way more than I wanted to spend, or skim, which doesn't work well for cooking. I hope the stimulus package that was just passed helps y'all out! I haven't looked too hard at it, because politics is making my head explode these days, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the politicians actually did something useful for a change.

I dread going to the grocery store right now, because there are long lines just to get into our most common grocery chain, and the less common ones just don't have stock when I go. I have to go sometime this week though to pick up eggs and flour for my grandmother. Maybe I'll try going out first thing in the morning, and see if I can beat the rush....

The problem with the stimulus package...for income levels, they are using your 2018 tax returns or 2019 if you have already filed. This doesn't take into account people who have lost their jobs due to this crisis. If, as an individual, you made $75,000 last year, but now are unemployed, you don't qualify. Plus, if you do qualify, a one-time payment of $1,200 doesn't cover one month's rent/mortgage for a lot of people.

It would make more sense, and do more good, to focus on expanding unemployment benefits and making it easier for people to sign up and receive these benefits. I think this is a part of the bill as well, but I think more could be done there. Then, you have unemployed people receiving regular benefits instead of a lump sum. But, it looks better politically to just send checks out to people.

I just worry about what ELSE in in the bill...and how much large corporations stand to take advantage, while small businesses and individuals are thrown a bone. I'll have to look into details, though, once they release them. I'm just always cynical in thinking that politicians are going to do what's best for them and their campaign donors.

I'm currently employed, so don't need the check now. However, if I do become unemployed, because I have been mis-classified as an Independent Contractor, I'd normally not be eligible for unemployment.

Anyone know if there are any new provisions for Independent Contractors?
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,886 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    After a few days of no community transmitted cases (all cases are either already quarantined or of known trackable origins), the curfew has been scaled back. Corner stores are now open, and we are allowed to be outside before 6 pm. I expected total chaos now that people are free to go out, but it appears a full curfew has changed how seriously they are taking this. They now stand in line and keep a proper distance between them all on their own. We have enough small stores everywhere, and larger stores are only open for delivery.
    xvotkl4d37tm.jpg

What country are you in again and when did you start taking measures to prevent community spread?

Jordan. They moved fast. Started measures when the first case was discovered. Closed land borders, then denied entry for non-citizens from high-risk countries, then stopped flights to and from high risk countries, then denied entry for non-citizens from all countries, then stopped all passenger flights. Returning citizens were transported to quarantine from the airport. When an earlier undiscovered case was present at a wedding which lead to a few more cases, they closed non-essencial businesses (lockdown) and closed all roads between provinces, and then when they discovered a case they couldn't track back to a source, they announced a full curfew, which now has been scaled back. The curfew only lasted 5 days to make sure no new cases of unknown origins were spreading. We were in lockdown for about a week before that. Everything happened fast.

Glad you're making out well in Jordan! The advantages to swift, decisive government action...

Are they planning to reopen the borders? That would seem premature...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    After a few days of no community transmitted cases (all cases are either already quarantined or of known trackable origins), the curfew has been scaled back. Corner stores are now open, and we are allowed to be outside before 6 pm. I expected total chaos now that people are free to go out, but it appears a full curfew has changed how seriously they are taking this. They now stand in line and keep a proper distance between them all on their own. We have enough small stores everywhere, and larger stores are only open for delivery.
    xvotkl4d37tm.jpg

What country are you in again and when did you start taking measures to prevent community spread?

Jordan. They moved fast. Started measures when the first case was discovered. Closed land borders, then denied entry for non-citizens from high-risk countries, then stopped flights to and from high risk countries, then denied entry for non-citizens from all countries, then stopped all passenger flights. Returning citizens were transported to quarantine from the airport. When an earlier undiscovered case was present at a wedding which lead to a few more cases, they closed non-essencial businesses (lockdown) and closed all roads between provinces, and then when they discovered a case they couldn't track back to a source, they announced a full curfew, which now has been scaled back. The curfew only lasted 5 days to make sure no new cases of unknown origins were spreading. We were in lockdown for about a week before that. Everything happened fast.

Glad you're making out well in Jordan! The advantages to swift, decisive government action...

Are they planning to reopen the borders? That would seem premature...

Too early to know. It depends on the state of the world if we do manage to control local spread (it could still spread despite the efforts now that some stores are open - many people are acting responsibly, but some aren't).
  • Ruatine
    Ruatine Posts: 3,424 Member
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Ruatine wrote: »
    I braved the grocery store today in the Chicago area.

They were fairly well-stocked, except for paper products and dairy. There was minimal milk, cheese, and eggs. Not totally out, but choices were limited. I had to get organic, brown, cage-free eggs (for $4 a dozen). Fancy cheese was plentiful as was organic milk ($6 a gallon). This is okay temporarily but my husband was laid off so we are operating at half out regular income here. If this continues, I might have to check other stores in the area for better deals. Everything else I needed, I got...meat was fully stocked.

People were good about waiting 6 feet apart at the checkout lanes, and cashiers were disinfecting their stations between every customer.

As an amusing side-note, the cars in the parking lot were parked in every other space. Do cars need to social distance?
    (Yeah, I know, people were probably thinking that they didn't want to get too close to anyone while loading their groceries, but it just looked funny to me).

Single income household here too (my husband is in school full time). I noticed the same thing the last time I was in the grocery store - only milk available was Fairlife, which was way more than I wanted to spend, or skim, which doesn't work well for cooking. I hope the stimulus package that was just passed helps y'all out! I haven't looked too hard at it, because politics is making my head explode these days, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the politicians actually did something useful for a change.

I dread going to the grocery store right now, because there are long lines just to get into our most common grocery chain, and the less common ones just don't have stock when I go. I have to go sometime this week though to pick up eggs and flour for my grandmother. Maybe I'll try going out first thing in the morning, and see if I can beat the rush....

The problem with the stimulus package...for income levels, they are using your 2018 tax returns or 2019 if you have already filed. This doesn't take into account people who have lost their jobs due to this crisis. If, as an individual, you made $75,000 last year, but now are unemployed, you don't qualify. Plus, if you do qualify, a one-time payment of $1,200 doesn't cover one month's rent/mortgage for a lot of people.

It would make more sense, and do more good, to focus on expanding unemployment benefits and making it easier for people to sign up and receive these benefits. I think this is a part of the bill as well, but I think more could be done there. Then, you have unemployed people receiving regular benefits instead of a lump sum. But, it looks better politically to just send checks out to people.

My understanding is that it does do that:

"Lawmakers agreed to a significant expansion of unemployment benefits that would extend jobless insurance by 13 weeks and include a four-month enhancement of benefits. At the insistence of Democrats, the program was broadened to include freelancers, furloughed employees and gig workers, such as Uber drivers."

-also-

"The bill provides federally guaranteed loans available at community banks to small businesses that pledge not to lay off their workers. The loans would be available during an emergency period ending June 30 and would be forgiven if the employer continued to pay workers for the duration of the crisis."

https://www.chicagotribune.com/coronavirus/ct-nw-nyt-cb-coronavirus-stimulus-bill-20200325-wb4iwfyo55gbpidpredbukekqm-story.html

Good stuff... I have a bro-in-law who is a personal trainer/message therapist (self-employed). His business has all but dried up at this point, and it's actually forbidden now with our stay at home order. My sister is a middle school teacher, and they have two teens. I worry about them and their ability to keep expenses covered during this whole thing.

I'm not greatly concerned about my family. We have no kids, and we've been living on one paycheck for quite some time now, and I work for an "essential" business in an "essential" function, so I'm not worried about my job security. Even if we have to keep buying the more expensive grocery items, we should be okay, since it's somewhat offset by the fact that our transportation expenses are much less since we're hardly going anywhere. I do wonder how much higher our electricity bill is going to be next month though with us both at home so much now (and the temps jumping up to the 80s and 90s too).

There are so many complicating factors at work.... my anxiety kicks in thinking about the economy and how many people who are being impacted that no one sees struggling.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    Last updated information for those of you interested in real data.

https://www.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,135 Member
    pinuplove wrote: »
    I needed this today. Possibly someone else here can benefit from reading it, too.

https://hbr.org/2020/03/that-discomfort-youre-feeling-is-grief

That is a good article. I have always had a problem with what I call 'anticipatory depression', which is essentially the same thing. I think about the bad things that are going to happen (loss of family members, loss of financial stability) and spiral down into a deep depression. If I can remember that they haven't happened yet, and may not happen for a while, I can stop the spiral. Looking at the good things in my life right now: my husband, dog, plenty of food and a warm dry home, helps me to get back into the moment and remember to focus on the now, not the uncertain future.

Thank you for the link <3 . I needed that considering that my wrist fracture, lots of limitations and advance age are bringing lots of anxiety.
  • mph323
    mph323 Posts: 3,565 Member
    Athijade wrote: »
    Athijade wrote: »
    Indiana update

Tested: 2,931
    Positive: 365
    Deaths: 12

Marion and Hamilton counties (where I work and live) have both jumped up in cases at 161 and 25 respectively.

I am feeling better. My cough is a lot less frequent and still no fever. I am SO nauseated this morning though. No idea what is up. Hope it is not a stomach bug because I just don't know if I could deal with that right now. And since I am working and can't get to the store, I can't get some ginger ale. I asked my family if anyone was going out to look. If they can't I will reach out to a friend to see if she is willing. Hopefully someone can. I am struggling this morning.

Do you have some ginger in your spice cabinet? I've never really tried it myself, but you might be able to make some ginger tea if no one can find ginger ale for you.

Hope the nausea goes away for you! I hate feeling that way - I'm the sort of person who doesn't retch easily, so when I get nauseated, I am miserable for hours.

I got ahold of one of my cousins that is going to swing by the store and then do a drop off. She was already going to be up this way so offered to help. I actually have fresh ginger in the freezer if I need it. May try some peppermint tea as well here in a bit.

Of course, after I wrote that, I read an article about how digestive issues and nausea may be early signs of Corona. I just have to laugh because if I don't then I will lose it.

Hugs! At this point, there have been reports of coronavirus patients having pretty much any symptom you can think of. Sort of like googling for cancer signs (don't). I wonder how many of those symptoms were from the patient having a mild cold or stomach bug when they got sick.

I have bad allergies. If I were to get the virus now they'd probably add sneezing five times in a row every twenty minutes to the list 😂
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    xvotkl4d37tm.jpg

I just read an article indicating that Jordan loosened their curfew due to "chaos" that the strict lockdown had caused, with many people not able to get food. Is this your understanding, or did Jordan really loosen restrictions because of reduced spread of the virus?

I apologize ahead of time if this sounds argumentative--I'm really just wondering about the true reason for the loosening of the restrictions, having just read that in the news.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,157 Member
    Katmary71 wrote: »
    mph323 wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »

I guess bear hunts are a thing here in the US as well. I heard about rainbow hunts last week and my neighbor's 10 year old drew me a rainbow that I've put in my window.

https://www.today.com/parents/entertaining-kids-rainbows-bear-hunts-amid-coronavirus-t176726

Our little city is doing chalk drawings on the sidewalks. Some of them are very elaborate and fun to look at while out walking 😊

My SIL told me she was taking my nephews to write cheerful stuff in chalk on people's driveways. My brother thinks it's ridiculous! You can guess which is a pre-K teacher!

They keep telling us to go for walks....but all these kids are blocking the sidewalks writing a bunch of crap with chalk. I'M WALKING HERE PEOPLE!

Love, Your Neighborhood Curmudgeon

A kid in my building has given up on it's usual hopscotch chalking to abstract art---filling the cement squares with sort of quilt-like colored in shapes. I take a shortcut around it on the grass because the last thing I need is to clean colored chalk dust off my floors! :D