Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• Unicorn_Bacon
    Unicorn_Bacon Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    I agree, and with a fine that large I hope that people start making choices not to use those nursing homes.
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Options
    That's true, no one does know what it's like to be in that position. Personally I dont know what ns power is like at all as a company, I pay $80 every 2 months for my power and that is the extent of my interaction with them
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    4th person just died here, all 4 people have been from long term care nursing homes. I fear for the nursing home downtown, owned by the company I work for, they are up to 51 residents infected now and 33 staff members and its growing every day.

They just announced 3 died yesterday at Northwood <3 hugs

☹ seriously? 3 at once.. my god, how heart breaking. Those poor families... I can only imagine how the staff are feeling..

I know that if it ever got into my facility, even if it wasnt me being the one to bring it, everything I touched or people i gave help to.. I'd be terrified.

What a shame 🥺

There is a nursing home here in town that is now under state investigation and it sounds like they for the most part ignored public health orders. 12 people have died there in the last couple of weeks and 23 employees have tested positive.

It is very sad...it hits home for me personally because my dad spent his life caring for his elders in nursing homes and retirement facilities, and once upon a time he was the facility administrator at this particular nursing home. Getting that job was actually the reason we moved from Nebraska to New Mexico, and he ran that facility with a great deal of pride and passion...sad what it has come to (even before this they have been under a lot of scrutiny the last few years). He passed on 5 years ago, and in a sense I am great-full that he doesn't have to see what the place that he loved so much has become.

That's sad ☹

Especially when someone puts their loved one in a home it's the hardest decision they have to make, not only that the residents have given up their homes and life to trying to fit what they can into a small room.

So when a facility just doesnt do their job in running the place and protecting their residents, and ensuring quality of care, the impact it has not only on the families, but the residents who worked so hard all their lives for the things they have, and can't even have the basic human right of dignity and care... it just astounds me that a collective group of people being witness to that could all be okay with it.

Before the strict rules currently being enforced were put in place, staff where I work knew they had to be on top of it, some even bought black lights to make sure their cleaning was as good as it could be, they asked questions and gained knowledge on how better to improve and took best measures they could. They insisted on stronger cleaning measures early on and better protection with screen and social distancing. To me, there could be no way, that everyone would collectively agree that it was fine without it. And it's extremely unlikely that if the administrator was choosing not to follow the guidelines and protocols that someone wouldnt go up the chain of command to make sure it was fixed.

I'm glad someone is investigating that because something is definitely not right there.

Apparently one of the biggies is that they kept having the same communal meals at the same time they always have instead of staggering and cleaning in between. It hasn't changed much since I was a kid and the dining hall is largely cafeteria. They kept cafeteria dining in place as well as not staggering meal times, so you just have a massive number of people eating all at once from the same trough.
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Options
    That is a horrible layout.

We have 12 units in my building. Each unit houses 13 residents and each unit has its own dining room area. Each resident has assigned seating.

When social distancing was implemented the tables were separated and some residents were set up with mobile tables, or more tables were brought in and everyone was still able to eat together but remained 6 feet apart.

Meals are delivered hot to the units, 6 get meals delivered at 4:30 and 6 get meals at 5:30. This gives the residents time to eat and time for staff to bring them back to their rooms and for the area to be disinfected before having to serve the next meal across the hall, since we are responsible for 2 units
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Same here our worst nursing home has a lot of cases was fined. They had tons of violations for years! Probably remain open continue to destroy.

The best nursing homes here zero cases not a surprise.
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    4th person just died here, all 4 people have been from long term care nursing homes. I fear for the nursing home downtown, owned by the company I work for, they are up to 51 residents infected now and 33 staff members and its growing every day.

☹ seriously? 3 at once.. my god, how heart breaking. Those poor families... I can only imagine how the staff are feeling..

I know that if it ever got into my facility, even if it wasnt me being the one to bring it, everything I touched or people i gave help to.. I'd be terrified.

What a shame 🥺

There is a nursing home here in town that is now under state investigation and it sounds like they for the most part ignored public health orders. 12 people have died there in the last couple of weeks and 23 employees have tested positive.

It is very sad...it hits home for me personally because my dad spent his life caring for his elders in nursing homes and retirement facilities, and once upon a time he was the facility administrator at this particular nursing home. Getting that job was actually the reason we moved from Nebraska to New Mexico, and he ran that facility with a great deal of pride and passion...sad what it has come to (even before this they have been under a lot of scrutiny the last few years). He passed on 5 years ago, and in a sense I am great-full that he doesn't have to see what the place that he loved so much has become.

That's sad ☹

Especially when someone puts their loved one in a home it's the hardest decision they have to make, not only that the residents have given up their homes and life to trying to fit what they can into a small room.

So when a facility just doesnt do their job in running the place and protecting their residents, and ensuring quality of care, the impact it has not only on the families, but the residents who worked so hard all their lives for the things they have, and can't even have the basic human right of dignity and care... it just astounds me that a collective group of people being witness to that could all be okay with it.

Before the strict rules currently being enforced were put in place, staff where I work knew they had to be on top of it, some even bought black lights to make sure their cleaning was as good as it could be, they asked questions and gained knowledge on how better to improve and took best measures they could. They insisted on stronger cleaning measures early on and better protection with screen and social distancing. To me, there could be no way, that everyone would collectively agree that it was fine without it. And it's extremely unlikely that if the administrator was choosing not to follow the guidelines and protocols that someone wouldnt go up the chain of command to make sure it was fixed.

I'm glad someone is investigating that because something is definitely not right there.

Apparently one of the biggies is that they kept having the same communal meals at the same time they always have instead of staggering and cleaning in between. It hasn't changed much since I was a kid and the dining hall is largely cafeteria. They kept cafeteria dining in place as well as not staggering meal times, so you just have a massive number of people eating all at once from the same trough.

At least one nursing home in our area is taking meals to rooms. Residents can’t leave their rooms. You can imagine how sad that makes the residents. But so far, no corona there. (Fingers crossed)

• Unicorn_Bacon
    Options
    I cant really speak for the correlation of better homes = 0 cases because as mentioned early, the other home owned by the same company is currently struggling with increasing cases and they are following the same exact protocols and reaching out for help to get as much control on it as possible.

But I think that is where the difference lies...

A great home can have this problem with so many cases and 3 deaths, but they are reaching out and doing everything they can to stop it from progressing as best they can

It would be a different story if they weren't.
    Any home that is drowning and in need of help like that who wont reach out and make it known they need help, 0 cases or not, that's what makes a home worse. Imo
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Options
    I think people take out their thoughts on the wrong people.. which is unfortunate.

In times like that people often hear bad news like that and are instantly overcome by the problems they have in their own lives, debt, cost of kids, insurance, etc.. it often leaves people thinking that the burden is solely put on them only and not anyone else in a higher position.

The fear and anger and sudden-ness of the news doesnt leave much room for stopping and wondering if higher ups are also going to have to deal with the same thing.

People also often think that because they make more money they would have it easier, but honestly, people often live on the edge of or outside their means.. and as upper management, Its often deemed inappropriate for them to discuss their pay, their Bill's, their home life with the people they are managing.. I know some do it, but it can often back fire on them also..

So were blind to their struggles and consumed by the problem in front of us, that we criticize them for what's happening and are even more harsh behind their backs..

I'm guilty of it too sometimes.. I'm sorry that you're having to deal with that.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »
    lemurcat2 wrote: »
    Yeah. I honestly dont know how different having uber here would be

I suspect it would be different. Here's it's usually cheaper (although depends on demand). Their rates aren't set by the city the way cab companies are.

I've found Lyft/Uber (I usually take Lyft) really helpful when traveling to cities or areas where it's not so easy to get cabs as where I live. In the past I would have to rent a car, but typically can avoid it now. However, without exception all the Lyft drivers I've interacted with in Jackson, MS, for whatever reason, have been very weird (I have not had this experience at all in any other city, where they are usually pretty nice and normal and often interesting if you talk to them which I often do). This one guy said he was from Atlanta and asked me if I was, and when I said Chicago, he said "well, then, you understand about the strip club scene" and started telling me about all the money he made driving strippers around Atlanta and the stripper vs. stripper fights he overheard. (For the record, I don't have a clue about strip clubs here or in Atlanta.) ;-)

Surge pricing is pretty wild. Some friends went to a Packers game in Green Bay and stayed about 20 miles away in Appleton. They found out it is typically a $20 or so Uber to GB non-event days. They got an Uber several hours before the game and it was $100 for the normally $20 trip. After the game the app was telling them it was $400 for the trip back. They had the driver's number from earlier in the day in their phone. Called and offered him $150 cash. Everyone was happy except Uber.

Yeah -- in my old place I reserved the night before for a ride to O'Hare for $18. The morning of it was raining and hard to get a ride, and the one I was supposed to have accidentally picked up someone else (I would be skeptical but they showed someone near me getting in and getting off a few blocks away as if they'd realized they were going the wrong direction). When I tried to call again given time and conditions the cost was $100, which I refused to pay. No cabs were available (normally an area it's easy to get cabs in) so I broke down and decided to just drive. I tried to get them to credit me for the screwed up reservation, but no luck.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    There've been a bunch of no-sew masks posted (from cut-down t-shirts or socks, or the ones with folded scarves or socks with stretchy hair ties or rubber bands to go over the ears). While I admit that I haven't tried these, the things I have tried, plus a reasonable number of decades' experience as a sewing/fabrics person, make me think that many of these designs will stretch or loosen during wear, creating spaces around the mask that might degrade their protectiveness (for oneself or others).

I haven't seen this design posted much - apologies if I missed it on this thread - but the link below is one I've seen that looks like it could be both non-stretch/less-loosening, and no-sew, FWIW.

https://www.maskbuilders.com/make

If I person wanted, they could incorporate other features from sewn masks, like pleats (horizontal folds) for better fit over the nose, and just staple or pin those at right/left edges, too. Ribbons, shoelaces, or something like paracord would work for ties, too, and might be sturdier in washing. Ties that tend to ravel, but are made of polyester-type fabrics (such as paracord), can be melted (carefully) with a match or lighter, to prevent raveling out with wear/washing. Don't touch the melted bit until it cools! (Paracord is a synthetic material cord with a synthetic fabric covering that kids often use for knotted jewelry or other crafts.)

Another thing I'd point out, for non-sewing people who may not know, is that fabric glue is a thing that exists. I'm doubtful that it would be strong enough to attach ties to mask, but probably would work to create a top casing (folded-over tube) for the nose-piece, if one used a flat piece of fabric rather than a sheet as in the example linked above.

It might be important to know that testing has found stretchy knit material is bad at filtering viruses. Tightly woven material is better. T-shirts or socks are not the ideal thing to make masks from, and neither are buffs.

Cotton is fine, from my research (many or most t-shirts are cotton), and silk is even better supposedly (my lame impromptu bandannas are from silk scarfs).
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options

What a shame 🥺

Unfortunately, that number may continue to climb. Nearly half our deaths are from the same nursing home cluster. It's really sad, and scary for those with loved ones in these facilities.
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Options
    I think people take out their thoughts on the wrong people.. which is unfortunate.

In times like that people often hear bad news like that and are instantly overcome by the problems they have in their own lives, debt, cost of kids, insurance, etc.. it often leaves people thinking that the burden is solely put on them only and not anyone else in a higher position.

The fear and anger and sudden-ness of the news doesnt leave much room for stopping and wondering if higher ups are also going to have to deal with the same thing.

People also often think that because they make more money they would have it easier, but honestly, people often live on the edge of or outside their means.. and as upper management, Its often deemed inappropriate for them to discuss their pay, their Bill's, their home life with the people they are managing.. I know some do it, but it can often back fire on them also..

So were blind to their struggles and consumed by the problem in front of us, that we criticize them for what's happening and are even more harsh behind their backs..

I'm guilty of it too sometimes.. I'm sorry that you're having to deal with that.

I'm mostly frustrated right now because my proposal has most employees missing the total of a pay check spread across the year, which sucks...but the alternative is just canning people. Do you want a job but you'll miss a paycheck over a year or have no job, no insurance, etc? But apparently that doesn't translate...I can only do one or the other. Hopefully it will all become clear for my peeps over the weekend. I'm quite literally trying to find a way not to have to fire you for something that's not your fault...

Yeah, that's where the newness of bad news can often cloud peoples abilities to understand the bigger picture.

It makes sense to me, and to me your proposal sounds like the much better option, hopefully this weekend people will have had time to process, and can be ready for taking in the bigger picture on Monday
  • Unicorn_Bacon
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

What a shame 🥺

Unfortunately, that number may continue to climb. Nearly half our deaths are from the same nursing home cluster. It's really sad, and scary for those with loved ones in these facilities.

Its shocking to me, mostly because it was not long ago that while cases were climbing they said that residents and staff all were fortunate enough to be displaying mild symptoms.. I guess it got my Hope's up that they would recover. But I do know it will probably not be the case.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    As of yesterday we're officially homeschooling with google classroom. It's pretty sucky. When the teachers were initially talking to us about this it sounded like it would be a couple of hours per day, but they've rolled out entire daily assignments as if they were back in the classroom. Very difficult to keep up as both my wife and are are working from home most of the time and we still have to work and meet our deadlines, etc. We're doing the best we can, but there's no way we can keep up with what is actually being sent out while working full time.

I feel like these expectations are so unfair to parents.

Our school's goal is to make each assignment doable within 30 min. Not sure how it is elsewhere. And only grade one assignment per week. The grading policy is also more lenient at this time. I'm really hoping schools open again in August/September because we need personal interaction.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    nutmegoreo wrote: »

What a shame 🥺

Six of our eleven deaths in New Zealand are from the same nursing home cluster, which was in the dementia ward. So very, very frail people who were already on palliative care. I don't think anyone holds much hope for the remaining affected patients there :(

One of our new cases here so far has no connection to any known cases, so is looking like community transmission. I think our chances of Level 4 lockdown ending on Thursday (decision on that is scheduled for tomorrow) are fairly slim. The Ministry of Health has been encouraging anyone with any respiratory symptoms at all, no matter how mild, to seek testing for the past several days, and some surveillance testing has been undertaken in 'hotspots' to gather more data to inform that decision. The surveillance tests have all thus far been negative.