Myfitnesspal

Message Boards General Health, Fitness and Diet
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

Coronavirus prep

15455575960652

Replies

  • youngmomtazyoungmomtaz Member Posts: 1,082 Member Member Posts: 1,082 Member
    earlnabby wrote: »
    Worst case in my house: if I run out of soap I still have sodium hydroxide (for bar soap) and potassium hydroxide (for liquid soap) and plenty of oils to make more soap. I usually do cold process which has to cure for a few weeks but I have instructions for hot process which can be used right away.

    If the TP runs out, I have a whole bag of utility rags I can use.

    I made a batch of cp soap this morning. I also have at least 6 months worth of good cured soaps for my family and probably another family of four to use. What I made was not superfatted at all so will be a good all purpose if we end up needing laundry or dish soap. Such a handy craft to know!

    We live on 30acres with a few farm animals. So having to stay home won’t hurt our feelings or have us at all bored. I just have to make sure we have diesel for the tractor, and some general maintenance stuff to save us any minor farm emergencies. I did buy some extra tp(I have about enough for 2 months) as we have room to store it and it was on sale at the time. There have been no cases in our province so far. I work for a school division so if it starts to be found here it would not surprise me if we were shut down for a time. My husband can also very easily work from home with telephone and internet access. We have freezers packed with meat, over 200lbs of garden potatoes left, and all I have done lately as far as plans is to not plan any trips for the summer yet. No point in booking anything concrete until we know for sure what this will look like. It is interesting to have some feedback on additional areas of the world through this thread. I never know how over blown the news articles out there are.
  • puffbratpuffbrat Member Posts: 2,804 Member Member Posts: 2,804 Member
    The State of New Mexico just issued a statement prohibiting gatherings of more than 100 people.
  • lightenup2016lightenup2016 Member, Premium Posts: 1,048 Member Member, Premium Posts: 1,048 Member
    Duke & UNC are going strictly online classes, and new cases announced, bringing our total to 12. Seriously starting to question my decision to work in healthcare, when clearly there are many other things I am able to do.

    We are in the same area--Cary, NC. Our friends were the "parents" who were just tested but turned out negative--they closed their daughter's school for a day just in case. My husband works at Duke in research, and they are talking about essential/nonessential employees, and whether or not he can work from home for a while. I'm not sure where you work, or what your job is (Dr, nurse?), but I wish you good health while this all plays out!

    Oh, wow! I was just reading about them earlier and glad that they are okay!

    It's nice to meet you, Neighbor. I'm in Goldsboro and manage the Central Transport department at our facility. So far, so good, here, although we were not thrilled to learn of the case in Johnston this morning. We are staying healthy, eating well, and hoping for the best. Oh, and washing our hands. :wink:

    Oh yeah, that's about an hour from us I think. I feel like the spread here has gone a bit slowly so far, but who knows, it could ramp up I guess. There's no way to know how many tests they actually have, or how many of these 12 (14 now?) have unknowingly spread it to others. It will be interesting (and hopefully not scary) to see what it will look like in 10 days or so. Anyway, stay well, and yep, keep washing hands! (I work from home and my kids are home 3 days a week, so I'm pretty well out of the germ field).
  • midlomel1971midlomel1971 Member Posts: 1,272 Member Member Posts: 1,272 Member
    mph323 wrote: »
    I live in Central VA and I have noticed nothing out of stock where we live. Not yet anyway.
    They just announced that schools are closed tomorrow for kids. Apparently the teachers are supposed to clean their rooms and also prepare plans in case they shut down the schools in the coming weeks (which I'm positive they will do next week, especially since we didn't have a single snow day this year.)


    I honestly think it's a whole lot of panic over something small, but they are all afraid of liability. Personally, I refuse to submit to panic. I am not going to rush the store for supplies, I am not going to stop going to the gym and restaurants. I am happy to be the only one out when everyone else stays at home.

    Something small? 6% death rate in Italy, where they're running out of respirators for the sick? Why do you think things will be better in the U.S. when our pro-active response has been, of anything, worse than Italy's, and our president is still pretending it's not really here and we can prevent the spread by shutting down flights from Eyrope?
    The flu kills tens of thousands of people each year and no one bats an eye at it. I’m not going to panic over it and stop living life. Are we going to shut down events and travel every flu season from now on? Should we?

    This attitude irritates me to no end. The flu is endemic--it's spread far and wide, and hospitals are not generally overrun with patients. This coronavirus is a NEW virus, and humans have never experienced it before. It spreads relatively easily. We should learn from China and Italy how quickly hospitals can be overwhelmed with critical patients in need of life-saving support.

    In addition, the flu death rate is 0.1%, while the average death rate of COVID-19 is 3.5%, so that is a 35-fold difference in death rate. I will repeat that--it is 35 times more deadly. Even Fauci of the CDC said COVID-19 is 10-times worse than the flu. Just because the overall numbers of infected is still much lower than the flu, does not make it less sever than the flu. I'll even put it another way--the COVID-19 death rate is 1 in 33, while flu death rate is 1 in 1000.

    How is it that people are still calling this "like the flu"? Look it up yourself--there are plenty of articles explaining exactly why this is not true!!

    I’m not saying it’s like the flu but I don’t understand why people are stocking up on food and toilet paper when we experience thousands of flu deaths every year. I’m not worried about this one iota. People are acting like it’s The Stand or something.

    People don't get quarentined for 2 weeks for the flu. Many people don't have the option for grocery delivery. And consider a multi-person household where people are getting the virus like dominos - every new case extends the quarentine by a certain number of days. Of course people are rushing to stock up.

    Well, I guess that's good for me since I hate crowds.
  • try2againtry2again Member Posts: 3,564 Member Member Posts: 3,564 Member
    YellowD0gs wrote: »
    try2again wrote: »
    YellowD0gs wrote: »
    On-going college conference basketball tournaments are being cancelled, at least the big ones. Big East canceled an on-going game at half-time. Starting to wonder if the NCAAs will happen at all, no fans or not.

    It seems to be a huge contradiction to me that they will cancel a game halfway through due to one confirmed positive test result when there must be dozens of positive cases in the crowd going undetected. Those are the ones doing the damage.

    So, first of all, it wasn't because any player has tested positive (yet). That was in the NBA, I'm talking about Colleges. The Conference Championships were canceled as a precaution. Just an observation of how quickly the social mood is changing. Two days ago, any suggestion that the NCAAs be played in empty stadiums would have been met with laughter and derision. Now, the idea that they may not be held at all is almost taken as granted. I live very close to a University that was projected to maybe win it all. Instead of being heart-broke and outraged at the lost opportunity, most around me are "M'eh, probably a good idea..."

    I was going by your statement that, "Big East canceled an on-going game at half-time", and made an assumption. My mistake.

    I still feel there is a disconnect with people/organizations who don't feel or acknowledge the threat until there is a confirmed case (though we are absolutely seeing less of that as the days go on). I read another article this morning about a woman who spent 6 hours in the emergency room only for them to decline to test her. But when people do test positive, there are immediate, far-reaching ramifications. Doesn't make sense to me. (To be clear, I think it's the course of wisdom for people with mild symptoms to stay home and avoid trips to the Dr/ER.)
  • rheddmobilerheddmobile Member Posts: 6,520 Member Member Posts: 6,520 Member
    @rheddmobile
    Where did you get those stats? I'm not saying you're wrong, just wondering.
    It generally takes about 5 days to show symptoms from the time of exposure but can be longer - most people will show symptoms in 14 days, thus that’s the standard length of quarantine, but a substantial minority take longer, thus the standard quarantine is almost certainly missing a few.

    80% of people have an infection which stays only in their nose and throat and have a mild case. If it enters the lungs, things turn bad, because the immune system doesn’t know how to deal with it. About 3.5% of people die. Those who die, do so an average of 18 days from the onset of symptoms. Some people do quite well for a week then take a turn for the worse; some people improve and look like they are recovering, then suddenly go into a crisis. The average time to get over having symptoms is 22 days. However, there’s evidence that people continue to shed the virus after recovering. There’s not currently agreement on how long recovered people remain contagious because the virus in their systems may be weakened, but some people seem to shed virus for another 20 days.

    I apologize for not remembering - it was an article that came up while I was surfing my news feed yesterday and I can’t find it again. My feed gets a lot of doctor-specific magazines and such so it may have been one of those, but I vaguely recall it being a major news outlet.
  • cmriversidecmriverside Member Posts: 31,812 Member Member Posts: 31,812 Member
    @rheddmobile
    Where did you get those stats? I'm not saying you're wrong, just wondering.
    It generally takes about 5 days to show symptoms from the time of exposure but can be longer - most people will show symptoms in 14 days, thus that’s the standard length of quarantine, but a substantial minority take longer, thus the standard quarantine is almost certainly missing a few.

    80% of people have an infection which stays only in their nose and throat and have a mild case. If it enters the lungs, things turn bad, because the immune system doesn’t know how to deal with it. About 3.5% of people die. Those who die, do so an average of 18 days from the onset of symptoms. Some people do quite well for a week then take a turn for the worse; some people improve and look like they are recovering, then suddenly go into a crisis. The average time to get over having symptoms is 22 days. However, there’s evidence that people continue to shed the virus after recovering. There’s not currently agreement on how long recovered people remain contagious because the virus in their systems may be weakened, but some people seem to shed virus for another 20 days.

    I apologize for not remembering - it was an article that came up while I was surfing my news feed yesterday and I can’t find it again. My feed gets a lot of doctor-specific magazines and such so it may have been one of those, but I vaguely recall it being a major news outlet.

    Okay...

    But you remember a long list of specific time frames that I've not seen anywhere else...I mean that part of your memory was pretty good!

    Thanks for answering.
  • CupcakeCrusoeCupcakeCrusoe Member Posts: 855 Member Member Posts: 855 Member
    Welp, over here in coastal VA, I think I'm going to go to the grocery store and stock up before the weekend hits.

    I actually do need more TP at this time, and it wouldn't hurt to pick up some more canned and dry goods. My hurricane prep stuff is super low. I also need a ton of baby snacks, chicken, eggs, cereal to keep the four year old happy. And I ordered more protein bars online today. Ooh, and Whatsisface's favorite soda.
  • try2againtry2again Member Posts: 3,564 Member Member Posts: 3,564 Member
Sign In or Register to comment.