Coronavirus prep

Replies

• bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    edited March 2020
    @snowflake954
    Thank you for your reports from Italy and the advice. Heading to my store now....need a few things. I hope people arent ugly :D

@rheddmobile A lovely sentiment and good reminder. Thank you!
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    I will make a couple of recommendations from our experience here in Italy. I know they tell you that masks don't work, but the Chinese experts think they do. We were reprimanded for too many people without. We need them to go shopping or the pharmacy. They are now introvabile. Please don't hoard them. If someone in your family gets the virus and you need to tend them you should have a mask. Buy what you need. I had to make my own from cheesecloth with a pocket to slip a filter in. I made a double rectangle and put elastic bands on. The fabric has to be strong enough to be disinfected every time you take it off and don't touch the front while doing so. I plan to disinfect mine and throw away the filter every time. I'm using a swiffter like sheet for the filter. I hope it works--I don't have other options.

Lightweight plastic gloves--luckily I had a box on hand. I put them on before entering the supermarket--carts can have many germs and we don't have wipes here. Throw them after use.

If you have important medication get it refilled now.

If your supermarkets aren't out buy some nuts and dried fruit. With dried fruit you can make pies. These are calorie dense--portion them out.

I appreciate all your updates. Getting many more from France, Germany and Italy from others as well. YouTube has many videos of how to make your own mask. Perhaps they will help, I'm not sure, but they would not hurt if this gets bad and the mask shortage continues. I do think they would help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNjpH5lBZ8w
  • DecadeDuchess
    DecadeDuchess Posts: 315 Member
    edited March 2020
    I take everything that's serious, seriously but also reasonably, as I've with this virus. For instance I won't take shelter within New Jersey because a tornado's occurring within Texas but when I've gotten tornado warnings, that's when I took shelter & did've groceries/necessities.

However there was no reasonable belief, that this virus'd strike close enough to me since others didn't {at least not, within my lifetime} & thus I didn't prepare.
  • SuzySunshine99
    SuzySunshine99 Posts: 2,983 Member
    My employer this morning sent an email asking everyone who can work from home to work from home. That includes me, so I'll be heading home this afternoon until . . . ?

I'm home indefinitely too. They are telling us MAYBE May 1st we'll be back. I work with specialized equipment, so there is not much I can do from home. But my boss is telling me I should spend my time doing online tutorials and learning new software, so I guess I'll do that.
  • MikePfirrman
    MikePfirrman Posts: 3,307 Member
    just_Tomek wrote: »
    Although not required around here yet, I have made a choice to stop going to the gym for a while. Do the smart thing ppl, really practice this social distancing.
    But the advice that, my company for example, you see posted in a workplace, are simply laughable. You either want ppl to self isolate and stay home, or you dont. Cause posting that we should stay 2m away from eachother at work, is really a joke.

Sadly I'd have to say you're doing the smart thing. The choice was taken away from me because my health center was closed a couple weeks ago. My son is searching YouTube for things he can do at home and is doing well. He filled 2 backpacks with books, weighed them, and does lifting. I told him he can manage to do almost everything. Convicts can get muscular in their cells, so it's possible.

I honestly think that's a great idea. I'm an "indoor rower" and I have Assault Bike and a host of other things. I'm extremely fortunate, but many only have the gym. Perhaps in this thread or another one -- ideas to stay fit at home and workout at home. Tai Chi is fantastic for those that can't do water aerobics and all over YouTube. Fitness Blender is another one. I love pushups and squats, planks. All great.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    edited March 2020
    I took up Jiu-Jitsu about 3 weeks ago. In our class session on Friday, the instructor told us that for now, the classes will still be held, but its on a day to day basis, and if he has to close the studio, he plans to video some training things we can do at home by ourselves and post them on the website.