Coronavirus prep

Options

Replies

• Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    yikes - the CDC's map is very behind, apparently, because its still showing 4 states without any confirmed cases. The CDC's map hasn't been updated since 3/12. Also, the CDC's website is very behind on total cases, too.

But I went back and found the link that someone had posted to John Hopkins' map which was updated today at 4 pm, and Idaho is now showing 1 confirmed case and Alabama is showing 6 confirmed cases, so we're down to only 2 states with no confirmed cases: Alaska and West Virginia.

The CDC's website is still saying 1,629 cases with 41 dead in the US, while the John Hopkins map has 2,572 cases with 51 dead.

With Maryland's 28, Virginia's 31, Pennsylvania's 47, Ohio's 26, and Kentucky's 14, its gotta be just a matter of time until it finally gets here.

Down to one now: Alaska.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,675 Member
    Options
    For pi day, our local grocery had pre-baked pie on sale for $3.14. We bought one. Ever since my spring marathon was cancelled, I've been depressed and my eating has gone awry. We also went out to dinner because I worry that restaurants will be closed down in the next few weeks. I'm not too worried about getting sick, since there haven't been any cases in my county, though that will undoubtedly change. I did run today, so at least some of the extra calories were burned off.

No paper products at the grocery (TP and paper towels), and almost no meat or frozen vegetables. The bread shelves were almost empty, despite a limit of 2 per customer. We bought bagels instead. The rest wasn't too badly depleted, but we were there after dinner and they were busy restocking what they could.

• bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    yikes - the CDC's map is very behind, apparently, because its still showing 4 states without any confirmed cases. The CDC's map hasn't been updated since 3/12. Also, the CDC's website is very behind on total cases, too.

But I went back and found the link that someone had posted to John Hopkins' map which was updated today at 4 pm, and Idaho is now showing 1 confirmed case and Alabama is showing 6 confirmed cases, so we're down to only 2 states with no confirmed cases: Alaska and West Virginia.

The CDC's website is still saying 1,629 cases with 41 dead in the US, while the John Hopkins map has 2,572 cases with 51 dead.

With Maryland's 28, Virginia's 31, Pennsylvania's 47, Ohio's 26, and Kentucky's 14, its gotta be just a matter of time until it finally gets here.

really? If that's true that a case has appeared in WV, then even the John Hopkins map is off, when it said it was updated as of 10:13 this evening.
  • bmeadows380
    bmeadows380 Posts: 2,981 Member
    edited March 2020
    Options
    apparently still no confirmed cases in WV:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/14/us/weve-got-a-monster-thats-looming-west-virginia-is-the-last-state-without-a-coronavirus-case.html

https://dhhr.wv.gov/News/Pages/COVID-19-Daily-Update-3-14-2020.aspx

I agree with the sentiments of the 1st article, though - its gotta be here and we just haven't found it yet.

The articles says WV is last, but I don't see any confirmed cases in Alaska, either - or are people forgetting Alaska is a state?
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

really? If that's true that a case has appeared in WV, then even the John Hopkins map is off, when it said it was updated as of 10:13 this evening.

Ah - wait - I just looked it up; the confirmed case is a different type of coronovirus and not the pandemic one.

Talk about confusing everyone!

I was wrong--WV is the one without any reported cases. Even Alaska has a reported case.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    lx1x wrote: »
    lx1x wrote: »
    Getting emails from local groceries and fast food joints about what they doing to combat the virus.

One local big grocery store request to buy only a day necessary items and don't stock up so the supply doesn't get sold out quickly. Good luck with that.

Taco bell might do drive thru only .. 😬

We have a nearby Chick-fil-a doing drive-thru only. I’m wondering when restaurants will begin closing. We have 26 confirmed cases in our state, with 11 of those in our county.

Which state are ya? I'm in MD so far the CFA where I go to still serves dine ins.

North Carolina. They only mentioned this one location, but I bet more will follow.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    sdavis484 wrote: »
    How do we keep people that are quarantined home though? Is that possible? I don't think it is. What would stop an infected person from being out and sharing germs?

A conscience?

And aside from that, in NZ at least, the government have the power to actually quarantine (as in put in a facility) anyone who is not abiding by the conditions of self isolation. So if you're in precautionary self isolation (eg, recently arrived from overseas), you have the choice of being a decent human being and getting a little bit of freedom, or being a jerk and getting none.

State and local public health departments generally have this authority in the U.S. as well (although I think in practice they are likely to put signs and yellow tape on your windows and doors before moving to providing you with room and board at a facility of the government's choice).
  • corinasue1143
    corinasue1143 Posts: 7,467 Member
    Options
    Update from Oklahoma
    Our governor made a statement, but didn’t really say a lot. OKC mayor said Friday no mandatory shutdowns yet, but it’s early days. Shutdowns may come later. Then Friday night a lady from OKC who recently visited Florida tested positive. Our fourth. Mayors in Tulsa and Norman banned public gatherings of over 250. Our second victim has now been pronounced over it, so we are back to 3 who have it.
    Rudy Gobert pledged money to part-time employees at the ball game who lost wages.
    Frontier City (six flags park) has postponed opening and zoo is closed.
    The Memorial service (OKC bombing) and the Memorial races have been rescheduled for October.
    I didn’t venture out today, it was rainy, foggy, dreary looking, so I don’t know how the stores were.

• Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    Nony_Mouse wrote: »
    Also, fun fact: if I got a relatively mildish case, there's a very good chance I could easily mistake it for an ME/CFS flare, 'flu-like symptoms' are a regular occurrence for me (like right now I'm a bit tired (er than my usual tired), and have a slightly sore throat).

Same here. I never know when I am actually sick like with a virus. Especially lately since work has been so stressful, I have been putting in extra hours, and my anxiety has been so high. Anxiety + Pandemic is not a good combination. Even though I am normally a very logical person, the chaos of the last few days did get to me and send my anxiety through the roof. I was wiped out today for example. Just exhausted and achy. But that is a pretty normal feeling for me due to CFS.

I am really hoping the grocery panic settles down over the next week or so. I live in an apartment. I have a small freezer and not a ton of extra storage. With my health issues I have food restrictions and need to try and eat healthy. I was able to get some groceries this weekend and have enough that I can put together meals for 2 weeks, but they wouldn't be the best for me. I know that may be an odd thing to worry about right now, but I was just starting to see improvements in my health and some of my medical problems.

I am in Indiana. We are barely testing. As of this morning the updated stats on the Department of Health site said we had tested a whole 89 people. 89. All that says to me is that there many more cases out there that we have no idea about. There is no way to KNOW if you should self quarantine because you can't know if you have been around someone with it. At least, until you are sick. But you can shed the virus before you show symptoms. You can also shed the virus AFTER you are no longer symptomatic.

My work hasn't allowed us to start working from home unless we are directed to self quarantine by a medical professional. Which is stupid. Most of my department (if not all) can easily do our jobs from home. We have laptops. We have a VPN. We can bring equipment from our own set ups. But no. Lets just fill a building with thousands of people, in tight quarters (cubicles). It's not my bosses who are against it either. It's the people above them. Ugh! Sorry for the rant, but I am seriously concerned about getting this.

I can't even go visit my family, even though I don't have symptoms, because there are members who are in the high risk category and I just can't risk it. What if I do have it and am just not sick yet? Then I pass it on to them and they end up dying?

See what I mean about anxiety and this not being a good mix?

We are actually sick ;) (but I know what you mean). I'm not sure if we're at higher risk of more severe viral symptoms or not, but I imagine the potential for a prolonged worsening of ME symptoms, even with a non-severe case, is high. I've only recently gotten back to a level of 'wellness' that, if I don't recover any further, I'm okay with, I bloody well refuse to be set back. So I totally get you on the wanting to be able to continue to eat well thing. I guess squeeze as much frozen vege into that wee freezer as you can?

I'm glad I don't have to deal with the level of crazy panic other countries are seeing :\