Myfitnesspal

Message Boards Debate: Health and Fitness
You are currently viewing the message boards in:

To Keto or Not To Keto?

167891012»

Replies

• ninerbuffninerbuff Member, Greeter Posts: 44,775 Member Member, Greeter Posts: 44,775 Member
    There are a TON of misconceptions here about keto and why it works...

So there are two parts to every diet:

1) Physical hunger
    Keto works so well because when your body switches from burning carbs to burning fat, you're no longer walking around hungry all the time and don't snack. Many people who're on keto also do intermittent fasting because they don't get physically hungry until the afternoons.

2) Mental food cravings/addiction/obsession or whatever you want to call it.
    The mental food cravings are different for each of us. For some of us keto is easier because excluding anything with sugar or gluten quells the internal bargaining dialogues we have with ourselves about cheating, treats, rewards, being bad, "just one more" and all the other stupid excuses we make that cause us to fail. For others, who aren't gluttons, including treats/cheat days helps staying on track.

CICO is true but only to a certain point. If you're eating foods that make your insulin skyrocket and plummet like a yo-yo on steroids, you will have a harder time losing weight, even if you're consuming the same amount of calories as someone with a healthy diet.
    Yeah, totally disagree. Because CICO is EXACTLY what I used to lose 40lbs in 6 months. AND I ate pizza, ice cream, french fries and burgers doing it.
    People that don't know how to STOP at a certain amount is due to BEHAVIOR. And until anyone actually changes behavior, they will run into the same problem again if they decide to overindulge in anything.

And I don't eat breakfast (traditional) so my first meal is usually after 12pm. I start each morning at 5:30am and train fasted before working from 8-12pm for my first shift.

So how do I do it without being hungry? I understand how behavior works.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuffninerbuff Member, Greeter Posts: 44,775 Member Member, Greeter Posts: 44,775 Member
    Also mentioning that protein is INSULIGENIC. To purport that it's not would be disingenuous.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • AnnPT77AnnPT77 Member, Premium Posts: 19,499 Member Member, Premium Posts: 19,499 Member

1) Physical hunger
    Keto works so well because when your body switches from burning carbs to burning fat, you're no longer walking around hungry all the time and don't snack. Many people who're on keto also do intermittent fasting because they don't get physically hungry until the afternoons.

The mental food cravings are different for each of us. For some of us keto is easier because excluding anything with sugar or gluten quells the internal bargaining dialogues we have with ourselves about cheating, treats, rewards, being bad, "just one more" and all the other stupid excuses we make that cause us to fail. For others, who aren't gluttons, including treats/cheat days helps staying on track.

CICO is true but only to a certain point. If you're eating foods that make your insulin skyrocket and plummet like a yo-yo on steroids, you will have a harder time losing weight, even if you're consuming the same amount of calories as someone with a healthy diet.

You do understand that gluten is a protein, I hope . . . ?
  • psuLemonpsuLemon Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 37,304 MFP Moderator Member, MFP Moderator, Greeter, Premium Posts: 37,304 MFP Moderator
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

1) Physical hunger

Completely anecdotal, but in my experience people who are doing keto either understand nutrition 1) way better than the average person or 2) way worse than the average person. There is no middle ground!

You can probably say this about a lot of atypical diets because now that I think about it . . . many people who are eating "unusually" either have done a lot of research to understand their particular way of eating, how to meet their needs, and how it compares to other ways of eating OR they've seen a scary YouTube video/Netflix documentary and adopted it as gospel.

Literally blew my mind because i am pretty sure you are on point now that i think of it.
  • ThoinThoin Member Posts: 376 Member Member Posts: 376 Member
    psuLemon wrote: »
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

1) Physical hunger

Completely anecdotal, but in my experience people who are doing keto either understand nutrition 1) way better than the average person or 2) way worse than the average person. There is no middle ground!

You can probably say this about a lot of atypical diets because now that I think about it . . . many people who are eating "unusually" either have done a lot of research to understand their particular way of eating, how to meet their needs, and how it compares to other ways of eating OR they've seen a scary YouTube video/Netflix documentary and adopted it as gospel.

Literally blew my mind because i am pretty sure you are on point now that i think of it.

Another vote for agree from me.