Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

To Keto or Not To Keto?

Options
1131415161719»

Replies

• loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Jin_tan wrote: »
    If you could give up pasta and bread, go have a try

Friends like the zoodles and spaghetti squash for pasta. Not for me--but they like it.
  • loulee997
    loulee997 Posts: 273 Member
    edited November 2023
    Options
    MeganD1704 wrote: »
    I tried Keto as a quick fix two years ago. Didn't ever track my calories and was successful dropping 45lbs.
    It was easy to give up bread/pasta (never really cared for it) but continually depriving yourself of things like fruit or chocolate etc is not great mentally. For me it became very restrictive- planning where we ate in advance etc, which doesn't work with our lifestyle as we like to travel.

Idn- it works for some people, but it is restrictive
    I'd much rather personally just track my food and eat what I want.

Berries, Guava, Clementine oranges, and Avocado are carb-friendly. 1 cup of blackberries is 7 carbs.
    Fruit.

Several companies make low-carb/keto chocolate. Some use artificial sweeteners and some use Monk fruit to sweeten it. LINK.

These days there are a lot of keto options. My friend makes a mustard-based bbq sauce--and she's found so many work arounds.

Restaurants are often a pain. A couple of websites will tell you the keto-friendly options at chain restaurants.

Keto isn't for me. I have a lot of issues with food. But for 2 friends--it was a life saver. Tr has done a modified Keto for 8+ years.

• GlennMurphy48
    GlennMurphy48 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    For me personally it works extreamly well. I never feel like im losing out. Soooo I cant have gluten but I can eat a crapload of cheese and bacon???? Lol Count me in!!
    I have lost 17 lbs in 1 month. Also removed alot of toxic liquid calories. Im drinking water like a fish. So for me peronally its great. Do whatever works best for you and whatever benifits you the most.
  • ladybee8181
    ladybee8181 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    @goodasgoldilox165 I'd love to hear how you are getting on now.

The way you described your relationship with carbs 100% resonated with me.

I am currently embarking on a low carb approach as, like you, eating carbs easily sets of more cravings which are never filled.

I'm pretty miserable with where I'm at right now in terms of my weight and dietary habits, but your post has given me hope that I will be able to change my eating habits for the better.

Thank you 🙏
  • RoyK90
    RoyK90 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I’ve been on keto on and off for three years. I think the secret no one shares about it is. Most of the food is so bad! So by sticking to the diet and eating the same 3-4 meals you acctually do like all the time, you can’t help but reduce intake. Because you get sick of those too!

This is a pro keto post.
  • sollyn23l2
    sollyn23l2 Posts: 1,604 Member
    Options
    RoyK90 wrote: »
    I’ve been on keto on and off for three years. I think the secret no one shares about it is. Most of the food is so bad! So by sticking to the diet and eating the same 3-4 meals you acctually do like all the time, you can’t help but reduce intake. Because you get sick of those too!

This is a pro keto post.

You are correct.
  • ddsb1111
    ddsb1111 Posts: 736 Member
    edited March 1
    Options

This is a pro keto post.

Your answer to success is eating the same 3-4 meals for the rest of your life. Say this out loud. Does it sound like the best option when it isn’t the only option? Only you can say for yourself. But, personal inquiry here, what’s so wrong with the options that have variety? What methods have you tried that have proven you can’t have the best of both worlds?
  • SafariGalNYC
    SafariGalNYC Posts: 897 Member
    Options

This is a pro keto post.

I feel best on a low carb, low glycemic diet, - I hover around keto levels and have been keto in the past. I like my berries so I’m not always in ketosis.

That being said, I find so many foods to eat to fit under 25 net carbs per day. It’s an oasis. Wondering what foods you consider bad?

• neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,896 Member
    Options

This is a pro keto post.

I feel best on a low carb, low glycemic diet, - I hover around keto levels and have been keto in the past. I like my berries so I’m not always in ketosis.

That being said, I find so many foods to eat to fit under 25 net carbs per day. It’s an oasis. Wondering what foods you consider bad?

You can't really blame people, most haven't the vaguest idea about the ketogenic diet or what foods qualify or literally the hundreds of food combinations, most think it's red meat and bacon.

Here's 300 keto recipes for anyone that might be interested.
    https://dietdoctor.com/low-carb/keto/recipes/meals