Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

To Keto or Not To Keto?

Options

Replies

• COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    DFW_Tom wrote: »
    Strict keto is hard to do, but is a good way to transition to a low carb eating style. Keto for a couple of months -> relatively low carb permanently. Whatever it takes to get away from too much sugar and eating processed, commercially prepared mixes. Everyone's digestion of carbs differ. Some, like LeavingBusy, "gasp" at the realization that they can start loosing weight without being on a portion restriction plan that leaves them miserable when they try Keto.

The "calorie in-calorie out" method of controlling portions while eating "healthy" is far too simplistic for today's cheap, easy and highly refined standard American diet. The type of calories consumed plays a key role of being able to control portions for many. Any attempt to reduce weight by a change in eating style is doomed to failure if it can not be a permanent, life long change.

Along the lines of what @AnnPT77 was saying, I lost 60 pounds and have mostly maintained that loss for a few years now. However, I don't find fat particularly satisfying, so I focus on carbs, which do fill me up, and protein, which is pretty satiating to me as well. More notably, probably 75% of my diet is delivery/takeout/dine-in restaurant food. No problem losing or maintaining and all of my health markers (blood pressure, A1C, resting heart rate, weight, nutrition panel, etc.) are spot on.

I would imagine that I'm pretty much the poster child for what you think of when you refer to the standard American diet. You're absolutely correct that overhauling your eating style isn't likely to lead to sustainable weight loss. There are just a whole lot of eating styles that lead to the same outcome.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2022
    Options
    DFW_Tom wrote: »
    Strict keto is hard to do, but is a good way to transition to a low carb eating style. Keto for a couple of months -> relatively low carb permanently. Whatever it takes to get away from too much sugar and eating processed, commercially prepared mixes. Everyone's digestion of carbs differ. Some, like LeavingBusy, "gasp" at the realization that they can start loosing weight without being on a portion restriction plan that leaves them miserable when they try Keto.

The "calorie in-calorie out" method of controlling portions while eating "healthy" is far too simplistic for today's cheap, easy and highly refined standard American diet. The type of calories consumed plays a key role of being able to control portions for many. Any attempt to reduce weight by a change in eating style is doomed to failure if it can not be a permanent, life long change.

Just to point out, regardless of diet preference, failure is extremely high.
  • DFW_Tom
    DFW_Tom Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    COGypsy wrote: »
    I would imagine that I'm pretty much the poster child for what you think of when you refer to the standard American diet. You're absolutely correct that overhauling your eating style isn't likely to lead to sustainable weight loss. There are just a whole lot of eating styles that lead to the same outcome.

COGypsy, I am sincerely happy for you and others like @AnnPT77 who have found ongoing success in weight management. But surely you two aren't suggesting that what has proven to work for you is the only way to lose weight and keep it off for everyone any more than what I have found works for me is. The original question was "to keto or not to keto". The answer differs from person to person, and I am not able to come up with an answer that fits everyone. Heck, I can't even figure out what, "agnostic of diet preference," is suppose to mean.

To be clear: The often repeated advice to eat less and exercise more, to follow the MyPlate or food pyramid guidelines, that CICO is all you have to do for long-term success, has proven to be an utter failure for many that has led to a surge in obesity and chronic diseases. Everybody is different. What works for one might not work for others. The goal is to find what works for you for the rest of your life. If that is strict Keto, fine. Its not easy to do though.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,898 Member
    Options
    Those pesky gut microbiota and hormones are feeling neglected in that sterile world of CICO imo.

• neanderthin
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Yeah, food effects the microbiome and our hormones and each macro has a distinct effect on each, which was kind of my point. I look at CICO as a treatment for the symptom without really treating the root cause and how could it, it's just a measurement of heat. If someone is successful with CICO I'm on board and happy that it works. For me a higher protein diet where satiation was a key factor for my success and lowering highly refined carbs and starches without the need to count calories and if I needed to count calories I would have tried something else until I found what accomplished that, but I've know for over 20 years that a higher protein diet delivers satiation in spades, or at least animal protein, plant proteins didn't do the job for me personally but I would imagine it's because I'm not a growing plant and my physiology best matches the proteins found in animals, but I've never looked into it. Cheers

• neanderthin
    edited August 2022
    Options

sijomial wrote: »
    Yeah, food effects the microbiome and our hormones and each macro has a distinct effect on each, which was kind of my point. I look at CICO as a treatment for the symptom without really treating the root cause and how could it, it's just a measurement of heat. If someone is successful with CICO I'm on board and happy that it works. For me a higher protein diet where satiation was a key factor for my success and lowering highly refined carbs and starches without the need to count calories and if I needed to count calories I would have tried something else until I found what accomplished that, but I've know for over 20 years that a higher protein diet delivers satiation in spades, or at least animal protein, plant proteins didn't do the job for me personally but I would imagine it's because I'm not a growing plant and my physiology best matches the proteins found in animals, but I've never looked into it. Cheers
    I'm sure you know that CICO and calorie counting are not the same thing.
    You managed your energy balance (CICO) via satiation and I (for a while) managed it via calorie counting.

Regarding the bolded sentence - not everyone has the same root cause.
    My root cause was eating too much of a very healthy diet so calorie counting for a time to better estimate and manage my CI and CO was sufficient.

As I don't need to count calories to maintain weight it was just an interlude between maintaining overweight and maintaining at a healthy weight. Probably an atypical experience just like your diet is atypical but both your high animal protein diet and my high carb diet work for us as individuals.

Satiation is also very individual with starchy carbs being my most satiating foods (which isn't that unusual as boiled potatoes often sit at #1 in lists of most satiating foods) and meat not being particularly satiating at all.

Yes CICO would be redundant if we didn't actually count them. Funny you mention boiled potatoes and yes they're satiating and I do consume potatoes. It's the carbohydrates that are turned into powders then transformed into highly palatable foods that I try and stay away from. Broccoli doesn't stand a chance against Doritos and I've done the science behind that, lol. Anyway I'm very happy you now found a solution where you don't need to have the chronic noise in your brain to be always calculating to facilitate the accuracy needed to maintain proper caloric intake. It appears by the numbers that most people haven't figured that out yet.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options

Specific foods (and fiber) have an effect on the microbiome. I've not seen any evidence that it is macros that do. In particular, eating lots of different plants tend to result in a more diverse microbiome.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    You managed your energy balance (CICO) via satiation and I (for a while) managed it via calorie counting.

My root cause was eating too much of a very healthy diet so calorie counting for a time to better estimate and manage my CI and CO was sufficient.

As I don't need to count calories to maintain weight it was just an interlude between maintaining overweight and maintaining at a healthy weight. Probably an atypical experience just like your diet is atypical but both your high animal protein diet and my high carb diet work for us as individuals.

Satiation is also very individual with starchy carbs being my most satiating foods (which isn't that unusual as boiled potatoes often sit at #1 in lists of most satiating foods) and meat not being particularly satiating at all.

Yes CICO would be redundant if we didn't actually count them.

Not really. It just means that calorie balance is what determines if we gain, lose, or maintain. How to change the calorie balance to support your goals is a different question, and logging is just one way to do so.

Mostly what I did was to look at my overall diet and see why/how I was eating excess cals. Learning how many calories were in things was helpful for that. I logged to keep myself mindful and because I found it interesting (I still do) to see the nutrients from the foods I ate (I find that's easier at another site). Currently I log when I want to get more mindful again.
  • neanderthin
    Options

lemurcat2 wrote: »

Yes CICO would be redundant if we didn't actually count them.

Not really. It just means that calorie balance is what determines if we gain, lose, or maintain. How to change the calorie balance to support your goals is a different question, and logging is just one way to do so.

Mostly what I did was to look at my overall diet and see why/how I was eating excess cals. Learning how many calories were in things was helpful for that. I logged to keep myself mindful and because I found it interesting (I still do) to see the nutrients from the foods I ate (I find that's easier at another site). Currently I log when I want to get more mindful again.

Yes, I meant as a tool not that CICO don't matter. Cheers
  • neanderthin
    edited August 2022
    Options
    lemurcat2 wrote: »

Specific foods (and fiber) have an effect on the microbiome. I've not seen any evidence that it is macros that do. In particular, eating lots of different plants tend to result in a more diverse microbiome.

Yeah the microbiome gets more fascinating the more I research it. I just switched from cow yogurt to goat kefir.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Yes CICO would be redundant if we didn't actually count them. Funny you mention boiled potatoes and yes they're satiating and I do consume potatoes. It's the carbohydrates that are turned into powders then transformed into highly palatable foods that I try and stay away from. Broccoli doesn't stand a chance against Doritos and I've done the science behind that, lol. Anyway I'm very happy you now found a solution where you don't need to have the chronic noise in your brain to be always calculating to facilitate the accuracy needed to maintain proper caloric intake. It appears by the numbers that most people haven't figured that out yet.

Maybe one person's noise is another person's music? I find calorie counting very freeing, not fraught or obsessive, and the idea that I'm "always calculating" kind of makes me LOL. If it's different for you, yeah, you probably shouldn't/needn't do it.

I don't know why it's such a human tendency to feel that the ways we might choose are Right, and that things others prefer are universally worse in some way. You mention the central importance of meat protein to you: I haven't eaten meat - at least not intentionally - in over 48 years, and TBH it sounds kind of disgusting to me at this point. That doesn't mean I need to think it's bad for people, wrong for others, or anything of that nature. Trust me, I haven't spent those 48 years being non-sated, and I haven't spent all of them overweight, either.

CICO is inescapable for all of us, just a specialized version of simple physics, in setting where human bodies are dynamic, i.e., CI affects CO. Calorie counting is optional, and whether it's noise or music is kind of individual, I think.

I'm sure that's a pretty common characteristic from someone that's vegetarian and as a chef I hear that a lot. My stint at a boutique health spa and retreat was strictly vegetarian and very enjoyable and also challenged me to better understand the nutritional requirements that varied from guest to guest and day to day. It's helped me be a more complete chef. Like I said I support anyone's journey that works to help them maintain a healthier existence.
  • mtaratoot
    mtaratoot Posts: 13,207 Member
    Options
    I've no idea what happens to the majority of people that use calorie counting to get to goal - some for sure carry on tracking and counting whether because they need to, want to, benefit from or simply take the view if it ain't broke don't fix it.
    I would imagine the majority of people who don't have to count to maintain tend to drift away from MFP.

Counting calories can also be a tool to support mindful eating. If you take the moment to assess what you're about to eat, you are being mindful.

Like yours was when you were counting, my counting is a little on the loose side, but count I do. Both the caloric values of most foods and the caloric expenditures of activity are estimates in the first place. Caloric value of a relatively pure substance, like refined sugar, is probably pretty spot on, but the caloric value of 100 grams of avocado or Top Sirloin are probably pretty squishy because they are complex combinations of different substances.

I still sometimes make food decisions that aren't the healthiest. That's OK too. I just make a note of it.