April 2020 Monthly Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    Options
    heh, was in the 70s yesterday, and now they are calling for snow. :neutral:

it was 95 here yesterday. We're probably past the 40+ degree temperature swing. We'll hit 80 then 40 in 24 hours. I kinda like it. But, I live on the couch. Happy running!
  • Elise4270
    edited April 2020
    Options
    HAY HEY HEY!
    I got a monthly question driven by self circumstances, (as always).

The background / why
    My DD's birthday is early next month, usually I get her a gift card. We may do "bra's and bacon day" too. Breakfast then we girls shop with all her girlfriends, I know you'd ask.. WTH is B&B day? she loves it, started it when she was about 10. hint hint if you have daughters. Warning: She did go through a phase where she was unwilling, but teens, what do ya do? gift cards! *eye roll* edited for corrections and clarity

So I had the thought this morning that I'd get her a Taber's, (nerdy Medical encyclopedia), I love mine, bought it when I was 17 (50-17= long time ago and still use it. yes was using it when I had the thought). DH kinda poopooed it. But, she is interested in med school, so... might be appropriate, just not for DH. Yes, I bought it. Mine might need updated from 1986 if she refuses it.

The Question
    How do you gift shop for others? Are you a goof GOOD gift giver? What tips do you have for we not-so-great-gift-pickers?
  • bearly63
    bearly63 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart Oh so sorry to hear about your Aunt! That is scary! Hopefully its not covid. She sounds like a fighter! <3

@Elise4270 Love the "B&B" thing. And I love the Taber's idea. My best gifts that I have given are when I know someones interests and find something to feed that. I got a friend who loves tea, a cute tea cup/steeper with some good tea once. For my kids, I give up on getting them stuff. They don't need much. I try to get them experiences, like tickets to a show or concert. Christmas has gotten really hard for me. I prefer to skip the whole thing and leave town. Bad Santa here....
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart Sending best wishes to your aunt and your family.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    Elise4270 wrote: »
    HAY HEY HEY!
    I got a monthly question driven by self circumstances, (as always).

The background / why
    My DD's birthday is early next month, usually I get her a gift card. We may do "bra's and bacon day" too. Breakfast then we girls shop with all her girlfriends, I know you'd ask.. WTH is B&B day? she loves it, started it when she was about 10. hint hint if you have daughters. Warning: She did go through a phase where she was unwilling, but teens, what do ya do? gift cards! *eye roll* edited for corrections and clarity

So I had the thought this morning that I'd get her a Taber's, (nerdy Medical encyclopedia), I love mine, bought it when I was 17 (50-17= long time ago and still use it. yes was using it when I had the thought). DH kinda poopooed it. But, she is interested in med school, so... might be appropriate, just not for DH. Yes, I bought it. Mine might need updated from 1986 if she refuses it.

The Question
    How do you gift shop for others? Are you a goof GOOD gift giver? What tips do you have for we not-so-great-gift-pickers?

I am horrible, but I make it easy for everyone else by having a public wish list with gifts from under $10 to several hundred. :) My in-laws almost never use it and buy me things I have to donate away. Everyone else does or gives gift cards. So I guess that is not much help.
  • PastorVincent
    PastorVincent Posts: 6,668 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart Sending best wishes to your aunt and your family.

This. So sorry!
  • hamsterwheel6
    hamsterwheel6 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart Good running on your 10K! Sorry about your aunt. Lots of hugs to you and family.

Hi everyone else! Sorry I really wish I could reply to all. Work (yes even from) home is very busy for me at the moment. I work at the dental board, and am responsible for issuing licenses to new dentists, hygienists. New graduates and those coming here from out of state.
    Needless to say, COVID19 has delayed exams, graduation, background checks etc. All new graduates may not get licensed anytime soon and they are all freaking out. And I am getting bombarded with questions and requests etc.
    A lot of our requirements to be licensed are state laws which would require general assembly to vote to waive or change, and well that is not happening right now or quick enough, even on "emergency rule". And we certainly don't feel comfortable licensing new dentists without them taking a clinical exam that is needed. But we also understand their worry.

Anyway; Still been getting out to run. The weather in the morning has been great for running so that's been good. Good thing too because then it's too hot. BUT, like everyone else, we are going to be dropping in temps by almost 20 degrees!

Gifts - If I know the person well, I do try to pick gifts from things I know that interests them; my son the teenager now only gets cash or visa gift cards lol. For others yeah, usually gift cards.

@eleanorhawkins I must tell you; reading your Hal stories have made my day. I look forward to the next installment:)

• kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,020 Member
    Options
    Thanks @bearly63, @janejelly47, @PastorVincent and #hamsterwheel6. My aunt does seem to be a little better today. They are still waiting on test results, but so far she is not running fever today. We also found out that our friend from church who is the only positive case in our county so far has been cleared by his doctors and is finished with his quarantine so I guess he has moved to the "recovered" category. So far our county has tested 28 people with 1 positive, 20 negatives and 3 still pending. I am trying to be encouraged by those numbers even though I know there are probably cases that have not been tested.

@elise4270 I love the B&B idea. Too bad my daughter is an adult now and lives 3 hours away. I think the Tabors is a great idea. I often get gift cards and my family has started making wish lists on Amazon and that really helps too.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @shanaber that’s a great idea! When’s she’s older... or the opportunity arises since she’ll be 25! it can turn into a girls trip! Love it! Hopefully the crisis will be over by her b day. If not, we can reschedule it, I’m her mother, I have the power to reschedule her b day. Haha! I know she wants to go see her “not a “ boyfriend. Maybe a trip would be a good gift. Maybe.

• Tramboman
    Tramboman Posts: 2,482 Member
    Options
    Hang in there, @kgirlhart .
  • Scott6255
    Scott6255 Posts: 2,445 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart Oh very sorry to hear about your Aunt! That is how John contracted the virus (from the hospital stay for pneumonia 2 weeks before). Huge HUGS going out to you, her, and your family!
  • katharmonic
    katharmonic Posts: 5,720 Member
    Options
    @kgirlhart hoping for the best for your aunt and your family. THinking of all of you going through these extra difficult times right now with worries about family and your own health.

@skippygirlsmom way to wrangle those loose doggies. I saw a loose one today too, but I knew right where he belonged. He is a fast little one and not particularly friendly but he made a beeline back to his yard so hopefully all was well with him.

@hamsterwheel6 - I can imagine about the licensing. Our clinical students are in a similar boat with worries about getting their clinical hours, delays in licensing and certification exams, jobs and externships falling through. No one has any answers of course and I feel bad for them.

@Avidkeo I remember having that kind of realization about running a marathon - like holy cow this is really happening! You are going to be so ready!

Date :::: Miles :::: Cumulative
    04/01/20 :::: 5.0 :::: 5.0
    04/02/20 :::: 3.0 :::: 8.0
    04/03/20 :::: 3.5 :::: 11.6
    04/04/20 :::: 10.2 :::: 21.8
    04/05/20 :::: 1.5 :::: 23.3
    04/06/20 :::: 2.3 :::: 25.6
    04/07/20 :::: 4.6 :::: 30.2
    04/08/20 :::: 3.1 :::: 33.3
    04/09/20 :::: 3.0 :::: 36.3

Another end of day run. I walked the dog first, though, as I was not up for another frustrating stop and start run. It rained this morning, but it cleared up and the sun came out so it wasn't too bad. Although very windy. Ugh, we are supposed to get some snow and then change to rain tomorrow. I am not going to want to go out there. It is time to be warm!