WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2020

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,435 Member
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,311 Member
    Did Tracey Long Back Up DVD today. The plan for tomorrow is to do Amy Bento Metabolic Training Boot Camp DVD.

Sharon – That was Ernie

We have a few of these really light balls. You get them at WalMart. Anyway, every night Clyde (one of our cats) takes one in his mouth and walks all around the house with it in his mouth making this horrible sound like he’s dying. The first time he did it we thought for sure something was wrong. But he’s just playing. Not exactly like it’s fun at 12 midnight, but I guess it could be worse

For some reason I seem to be going on Facebook less and less. You would think that I might be going on more because I’m so bored, but I am finding the opposite to be true

Penny – I love when you share your life with us. All the pictures are so very fascinating. But, honestly, I don’t think I’d like living in such cold.

There was an article in the paper today about how people should buy gift cards to support local businesses. Sad to say, I wonder how many of them will still be in business after this is all over?

Made brownies yesterday for Jess and Vince then cut them up and put most of them in the freezer. Made more chocolate bran muffins for me to have. Now to let them cool and then I’ll cut them up

You know, now that Denise is home more, I wish I’d get more pictures of PJ. They’ve been slowing down lots. I texted her to ask her when’s a good time to Skype for Easter. Wouldn’t surprise me if I don’t get an answer.

I talked to the landscaper who does a lot of work in the neighborhood and he told me that the guy next door (I don’t even know his name, they don’t wave to almost anyone) that he was a doctor and she was a nurse. I wonder what kind of doctor (if he is one) he is. Lately he’s been home almost every day and he’s started cutting his own grass. Well, who knows?

Lisa – fantastic info for KJ. I’m always impressed with everything she does with the kiddos. You know, wouldn’t surprise me if when all this is over she has a lot more kiddos

We were sitting under the pergola yesterday, I was doing crocheting, Jess was on her computer with someone from IS, and the wind REALLY came up, it must have dropped at least 10 degrees. Vince wasn’t wearing a shirt but he went in to put one on.

Michele NC
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    MICHELE ~ This was insightful...
    There was an article in the paper today about how people should buy gift cards to support local businesses. Sad to say, I wonder how many of them will still be in business after this is all over?

Carol in GA
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,638 Member
    Morning Ladies~
    I was up and out at the grocery store at 6:30 this morning . they were counting people as we went in and everyone kept there distance.. i had hand sanitizer with me and used it , wore my mask, brought everything home and washed it down and put it away..
    watching little house on the prairie and will take the garbage out before it starts pouring
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,878 Member
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    Hello everyone.

Yesterday was a little stressful. I had to get some much required reports/statuses completed for one of our major partners for the monies provided to us for promotions last quarter. After completing everything on Tuesday the BDM (Business Development Manager) proceeded to let me know portions of the plan changed. I love him and we work very well together. But, he has ADHD and he is like herding a clowder. I get things in pieces and it is like putting a puzzle together. And, every quarter I tell him the same thing - we must get organized with this stuff, you have to keep me in the loop, just copy me on everything regarding the plans, etc.. I wish I could dislike him but it is impossible. He really does appreciate me as well as I appreciate him and he is the one of the people I can be completely honest with without a filter. This quarter I am changing my game plan - I will be sure to touch base with him three weeks prior to the quarter ending to confirm the "final final" plan. :smile: One of the yoga lessons I have learned is it is not what the person says/does, it is how we react to it.

SuziQ - SFL

:)SuziQ Thanks for sharing this story and the lesson you learned from it. It has always helped me to see what I can change to make a situation better than to rail about their shortcomings.

<3 Barbie
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,707 Member
    edited April 2020
    And this is similar to our Gratitude Calendar that we've done in Novembers.

Coping Calendar: Keep Calm. Stay Wise. Be Kind.

pivyc8y01ncs.png
    1. Make a plan to help you keep calm and stay in contact.
    Part of my plan is to stay home more days each week. I'm getting stuff done, spending time with my husband, and avoiding the crowds. :)

Today I'm particularly happy because I've been able to spend the whole day at home getting a bit of extra rest, listening to classical music on ABC, and working on my uni homework while my husband has been busy doing stuff in the kitchen.

In a hour and a half or so, I'll go downstairs to exercise. We would go outside, but it has been a rainy day so we've been cozy inside.

2. Enjoy washing your hands. Remember all they do for you.
    They do a lot of typing ...which reminds me that I should also wipe down my keyboard more regularly. But I do actually like washing my hands. With my hot flashes, and with exercise, my hands are often quite damp. Washing with soap dries them up a little.

Last weekend I also did my nails with 5 different pastel colours of gel nailpolish. :)

3. Write down 10 things you feel grateful for and why.
    10 Things

1. My comfortable home with its garden and view of the bay.
    2. My husband and the fact that, despite the severity of his brain injury, he has made a "remarkable recovery".
    3. The support of my parents even over long distances.
    4. University ... which is keeping me occupied.
    5. Work ... which is keeping me occupied.
    6. Cycling ... which keeps me fit.
    7. Music ... which I've been listening to a lot.
    8. Internet ... with which I keep connected.
    9. New audio visual system which is keeping us entertained.
    10. God ... who is still in control.

4. Stay hydrated, eat healthy food, and boost your immune system.
    I have to drink a lot of water to keep my kidneys in good shape. I do try to eat a fairly healthy diet as well. :)

5. Get active. Even if you're stuck indoors, move and stretch.
    Absolutely!! Every day! On that note, I'm up to 352 flights of stairs in March. Each flight is 20 stairs.

6. Contact a neighbour or friend and offer to help them.
    We don't see much of our neighbours, but do kind of watch out for one.

And right now my work colleagues (and friends) and I are helping each other move home.

7. Share what you are feeling and be willing to ask for help.
    What am I feeling. It's a real mix. I'm happy I'm working from home and taking uni online. But this week I've been fighting back tears from time to time. Moving home made it real.

Our lives have changed and the changes will keep coming for months ahead.

Also, the beginning of the week (Mar 22) was the 2-year anniversary of my husband's accident so ... memories.

8. Take 5 minutes to sit and breathe. Repeat regularly.
    I'll do that tomorrow, I think.

It's Friday night and this week has been a little overwhelming. Last weekend I was madly working on an assignment. Submitted it on Monday + intense week at work.

A good night's sleep and I'll be able to breathe a little bit more in the morning. :)

9. Call a loved one to catch up and really listen to them.
    I'm not good at calling people ... a little bit of a phone phobia. But I email lots! :)

March 30
    10. Get good sleep. No screens?? Well some nights I read a paper book. I am working on getting more sleep and better sleep, but lately I've been tense at night again.

March 31
    11. Notice 5 things that are beautiful in the world around me. That's easy!!
    • Rhody
    • Roses ... and BTW, Rhody is the Greek word for Rose :)
    • The beach
    • The waves crashing against the rocks
    • Green ... nature

April 1
    12. Immerse yourself in a new book, TV show or podcast.
    I don't do podcasts and the TV shows I watch are "old" ... but I have started a new-to-me book. :)

April 2
    13. Respond positively to everyone you interact with.
    Today has been a good day for that. We nipped out to get a few things this afternoon and talked pleasantly to the checkout people. :)

April 3
    14. Play a game that you enjoyed when you were younger.
    I haven't done this yet, but I think I will pause and play some majong shortly. :)

I did go cycling yesterday and that's been a game I've enjoyed for ages. :)

April 4
    15. Make some progress on a project that matters to you.
    I have done some of this, in a way. Today I've been tidying, organising and cleaning. My home office area (in the dining room) looks a lot better (not quite so cluttered) and I've cleared a spot so that Rhody can sit beside me.

I've been busy catching up on a lot of things so I can start my week a little more prepared.

April 5
    16. Discover your favourite music that really lifts your spirits.
    I have been listening to ABC Classic during the day most days and have been enjoying it. It's interesting, varied and relaxing. :)

April 6
    17. Learn something new or do something creative.

Well ... my courses. I'll be working on one of them this evening.

April 7
    18. Fun way of doing an extra 15 min of activity? Does walking up and down the hallway tossing a purple mouse for my kitty each evening count?

April 8
    19. Three acts of kindness? Smiling and being kind to sales people. Chatting to them briefly in a normal friendly way. Waving and saying hi to people walking on the other side of the street. Trying not to stress my husband out.

April 9
    20. Make time for myself. Do something kind for myself. Exercise maybe? I'm having trouble with this one.

M in Oz
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Yes that Moron was trying to get grocery stores closed down he wants all essentials closed too. Some folks are terrible sad part it worked on scaring some even more to be too scared to get food! Yes workers had Covid but with the social distancing has worked for keeping the customers safe...we swipe our cards,no baggers, no cash,they stand far apart, now sneeze shields, sanitizer they used in between each customer,y gloves - but they use the same worker toilets y break rooms so wouldn’t be surprised if that’s how they spread it.

Amber Tx

Finally slept. Daughter said her room separate from the cases she will step up cleaning since The virus is on base
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,553 Member
    edited April 2020
    Lagopus wrote: »
    I've never felt as cold as during the months we spent in Norwich, England - even though the temperature never went anywhere near freezing.

Ha! That reminds me of a Mark Twain quote that goes something like; "The coldest winter I've ever experienced was a summer in San Francisco."

I love the pictures of Norway!

I share your concern for Sweden and the US. I will also add the UK. And I miss Mexico so much, even though we were just there in December. Sometimes I begin to fear that we will never be able to go again, but I know that is ridiculous. This will pass.

It was 70 here yesterday, so I did my afternoon meeting from my back porch. During the meeting, my dog decided to do his business in the background. One of the participants said, Oh, what a cute dog . . . oh my. We all laughed, and I held my hand up to block the view until he was finished. :blush:

It's supposed to be 75 here today. I am so thankful for the sun and the warmth. There were a lot of people out walking, running, and bike riding yesterday.

Much love,

Flea
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,435 Member
    ///\\\
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited April 2020
    Machka: Thanks for posting the coping calendar. I have it printed and taped to my desk. This is call a loved one day. I like it. I hope to chat with my kids via phone or texts. I’ve had good contact with them thanks to telephone, facetime and txt. :flowerforyou:

Felicia: Today I plan to walk the dog down to the end of the road where there is an off-leash dog park. I’m hoping to soak up some of nature’s Vitamin 3D in order to boost the D3 I swallow in pill form. :smiley:

I’m happy this morning. We have a “bright sunshiney day” and the song is running in my head. Thank you, Jimmy Cliff.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon