• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,738 Member
    Options
    Ttt
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    Angela in Alabama

I shy away from group threads, too, for the same reasons you do.

Let's take a poll.

How many women in this group tend to shy away from group threads, and why?
    Karen in Virginia

This group is all I do on myfitnesspal. Checking in has become an important part of my day.

Welcome, Angela.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,588 Member
    Options
    A lesson to be learned there.

So glad the telemedicine gig is going to work out! I was so disappointed for you, as I was reading, and then, hooray. A positive turn.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, Oregon
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,222 Member
    Options
    This virus is definitely not on the plans.

Amber Tx

For us, my husbands severe traumatic brain injury was definitely not on the plans ...

I rarely plan more than 5 years ahead anyway, and since his accident, our plans are rarely more than about 6 months ahead ... often more like 6 weeks at a time.

@machka9 that's worlds apart from the situation here. i think the first week or so we could go out only 2km but with no limit of hours so i always went for a long walk to and around a sizable city park. the 1k 1h really puts a wrench in things. i think our may11 1st step deconfinement will consist mainly of not limiting time out nor distnance opening bookshops that want to open, children's clothing stores and a few other odd bits. masks were discouraged here to start but has the virus increased it's definitely more and more encouraged (with president saying it may become obligatory at some time in the future when they have masks).

If you're out for 1 hour, can you walk for the full hour?

drkatiebug wrote: »
    Machka, polio is the only other event in my lifetime that even comes close to what we are experiencing now. I remember classmates coming down with it, two neighbohood children who died, and many in my age group left with a debilitating mobility issues. I also remember when the vaccine was finally approved. We all lined up at my elementary school to get our sugar cube with the vaccine. Many received the smallpox vaccine in the arm at the same time. I still have my smallpox scar. But even with all that, school and work continued.

School and work continues now too ... it's the non-essential stuff like footy matches that are closed.

Katla49 wrote: »
    Machka: My mother took me to the lunch counter at Woolworths as a mother-daughter treat when I was growing up. Kresses was another company that had a lunch counter, and so did Meier & Frank back then. Meier & Frank is now Macy’s & I haven’t seen a lunch counter there since the name change. :noway:

Different Woolworths. And I've learned something reading this wikipedia article! I've learned why Australia's Woolworths is the same name as other Woolworths around the world! :grin:

The Woolworths group owns a number of different stores including Woolworths (a supermarket), Big W (a department store) and more.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Woolworths_Group_(Australia)

"The name on the draft prospectus drawn up by Cecil Scott Waine was "Wallworths Bazaar" – a play on the F.W. Woolworth name (the owner of the Woolworth's chain in the United States and United Kingdom). Moreover, according to Ernest Robert Williams, Percy Christmas dared him to register the name Woolworths instead, which he succeeded in doing after finding out the name was available for use in New South Wales. Accordingly, Woolworths Ltd in Australia has no connection with the F.W. Woolworth Company in the United States, nor the Woolworths Group of UK. It also has no connection to the Woolworths Group in South Africa."

And I've just learned this too ...

"The new Woolworths store was innovative; it was the first variety store in the world to use cash registers that print receipts for customers."

Katla49 wrote: »
    We lost our Daughter in Law’s mom to cancer after a very long and hard-fought battle with the disease. She will be missed by her many friends and her family. K was a beautiful and brilliant woman. She lived in Kentucky, a state with the highest cancer death rates in the nation at 181.6. West Virginia is listed at 179.5 and Oklahoma at 178.1. I looked it up on CDC.gov. I gather that something underneath the famous bluegrass in Kentucky is not healthy for humans. :cry: :broken_heart:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

So sorry. :heartbreak:

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    In about 10 minutes, my phone was ringing, an 'unknown caller' from California, and lo and behold it was Dr. Yuan offering me an employed position. It was surreal. Then in about an hour, I got a 'heads-up' email from one of the support staff telling me to go onto the scheduling module because they had just posted some scheduled shifts that I might want.

Karen in Virginia

Congratulations!! :)

• Machka9
    edited April 2020
    Options
    exermom wrote: »
    M – I like the way you can shop at home. What do they do about coupons?

Michele NC

We don't have coupons. It's been a decade or more since I've seen a coupon for a retail (grocery, chemist, department store, etc.) product.

We can get Entertainment Guides with coupons for restaurants and entertainment. And occasionally the newspaper might have something like that too.

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    @Machka9 - we were talking about Consumers Distributing at work this week when we were talking about how people at places like Canadian Tire, Walmart and grocery stores with general merchandise are having an issue with browsers. I mentioned they should close those portions of the stores and someone could go get their need off of the shelf. It reminded us all of that store.

Tracey in Edmonton

:)

The Bunnings (large hardware store) here is talking about going the Consumers Distributing route ... maybe keeping the section with all the plywood etc. open mainly for tradies, and closing up the rest.

M in Oz
  • Machka9
    Options
    xlr5ud3bkv04.png

z20xt7obmckd.png

Good hygiene for coronavirus (COVID-19)
    Everyone can slow the spread of COVID-19 by washing their hands frequently, covering their coughs, putting tissues straight into a bin, avoiding touching their eyes, nose and mouth, cleaning regularly used objects and surfaces and ventilating their home or workspace.
    https://www.health.gov.au/news/health-alerts/novel-coronavirus-2019-ncov-health-alert/how-to-protect-yourself-and-others-from-coronavirus-covid-19/good-hygiene-for-coronavirus-covid-19

https://www.who.int/gpsc/clean_hands_protection/en/

qsn9mwaj1mv5.png
    l1m94scedsh3.png

M in Oz
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,897 Member
    Options
    :)
  • Machka9
    Options
    When I did Karen's strengths quiz my top strength was Curiosity and my lowest was Teamwork.
    Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

I don't recall that quiz but it might have been before my time.

M in Oz

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    I don’t remember the strengths quiz. I wonder whether I can find it.

We had a surprise delivery of movie theater popcorn earlier today. It put a big smile on my face & I ate more than my share. 🍿
  • Machka9
    Options
    SuziQ113 wrote: »
    My cynical self thinks they want more of us to get sick in the hopes to speed up herd immunity. From everything I am hearing/reading it will take a minimum of 70% of the population. Something to think about.......

Everything I've read says 80%.

Also ...

We've never made a successful vaccine for a coronavirus before. This is why it's so difficult.
    https://www.abc.net.au/news/health/2020-04-17/coronavirus-vaccine-ian-frazer/12146616

""Yes, you get antibodies after a [cold] infection, and yes it lasts for a while, but it's not lifelong... sort of months rather than years," he said.

"I think it would be fair to say that the natural immunity that you get after infection from this coronavirus is probably going to turn out like the coronaviruses we've seen in the past."

M in Oz
  • kymarai
    kymarai Posts: 3,632 Member
    Options
    Katla Hugs for you and your family. So sorry for the loss.