WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR APRIL 2020

Options

Replies

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,372 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I've said all along that we are nearly all going to get this eventually, especially as lockdown is eased. It's just better to get it once the peak has passed, in case we have to go to hospital. Very vulnerable people will have to isolate themselves until an effective vaccine is produced. My ex husband is in that position. There is no way he can go back to normal life until there is a very effective vaccine. Anyone who is old or who has health vulnerabilities has to wait in isolation. The virus will be out there for quite a while.

Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,215 Member
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    I don't know why I find delivery of groceries creepy, but I do.
    Off to the races,
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

That's the first time I've heard that!

Do you get other things delivered? We have most of our cycling stuff delivered and occasionally a pizza, so going to grocery delivery was just another step.

M in Oz
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    :)
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    I don't know why I find delivery of groceries creepy, but I do.
    Off to the races,
    Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR

That's the first time I've heard that!

Do you get other things delivered? We have most of our cycling stuff delivered and occasionally a pizza, so going to grocery delivery was just another step.

M in Oz

Machka, I'm aware it's weird - but we do get few deliveries out here. Too far out for pizza or the restaurants who deliver. I did get an alert sensor set up outside, so if anything larger than a dog breaks the beam, it sounds off inside the house. This was all pre-coronavirus, by the way - I genuinely hate surprises, and the Fedex and UPS guys are the only ones that visit anything like regularly.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,996 Member
    edited April 2020
    Options
    :) When I did Karen's strength quiz, my highest was fairness and lowest was social intelligence.

:) I have a lot of rules for our household about social distancing but I have not been willing to include having groceries delivered or even shopped for by others for pickup. I take great precautions regarding going to the store and have limited my shopping to every other week along with with stripping out of all my clothes and washing them and me immediately when I get home. Good planning and well stocked stores have helped me with this. Jake does not go out at all.

:) Yesterday I had to explain our "don't pet our dog" rule to a man in our neighborhood who was smiling and polite but probably thought I was bonkers.

:) For my own emotional protection, I have to be as detached as possible in my responses to the social distancing rules that other people have (as long as they stay away from me). I can't be emotionally healthy and get upset by people from any part of the spectrum from the one end of never going out and sanitizing everything that comes in all the way to those who think it's time reopen everything. I am powerless over how other people are handling this crisis. I can only change how I respond.

:) I have been active on this thread since 2009 and it is probably the most social thing I do. I read at least once a day and comment from time to time. I talk about all of you as though you were face to face friends. I admire all of you who can make thoughtful comments to everyone. Most of the time, I have no idea what to say (thus the explanation for social intelligence being the lowest of my strengths).

:'(<3Katla, so sorry for your family's loss.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,521 Member
    Options
    "Get to do"s and "chose well"s
    Chose well: weeding drive ¾ done, zoom line dance
    Bonus: type hymns for Sunday, one load laundry
    Get to do: BB&B, mtg minutes, invest 10 mins cleaning Bedrooms, carry over cleaning 5 mins ea Living Rm/Master Bath + 10 mins Guest Bth + Dining Rm, finish weeding drive, continue weeding flower bed, mulch flowerbed, prep potato bed for greens, dig up snow pea bed for potatoes, prep raised bed for carrots, parsley root, parsnips, radishes, transplant herbs, call Lee, bake cookies for Joe, call Carolyn, finish cleaning and start de-rusting Aunt Elsie’s stove, Freddie’s for complete series TDAP <$48, get Shingrix vaccine.
    Reward: inventory seeds, plan garden, order replenishments.
    Coping Calendar Day 22: find positive news and share
    nope, still not yet. Will keep looking for good news and a chance to share.

Joe surprised me with quarantine snacks from BiMart, my favorite mixed nuts and… drum roll… Hershey’s DARK chocolate kisses. After 30 years he’s “got it” that I won’t waste my calories on milk chocolate, but of course I didn’t snarkly say it that way, instead OOOOHHH, thank you! You KNOW dark chocolate is my Favorite ;) I still somewhat resent having to play these games, but trying to reframe it as consideration not manipulation. [shrug]

Michele, this is what the tomato slicer looks like. Sometimes find at thrift stores. SuziQ :love: that bunnicula kitty.
    Lanette hoo boy now I really REALLY want that SQ. Will passively/aggressively do a few noisy loads today while Joe is inside due the rain and hope he complains ;) Then I’ll talk to him again about the SQ. He wasn’t opposed, but before I spend $$$ I’d like him to be more firmly onboard.
    Amber :heart: that Chris Mann Daycare closed video.
    Katla was disappointed my parsley didn’t self seed, but got a new start at the farmers’ market. As for the cancer trail, in addition to coal, maybe rustbelt pollution tainting the water supply as it flows south to the sea?
    SuziQ :loveL both your visitor and your solar lights in pots. Will copycat you!
    Barbie and Evelyn thanks for the indoor recumbent bike recommendations. Now I have to choose between that and the new washing machine! ;)
    Sharon, Oh, the original Berkeley Co-op. I was a regular there from ’68 on. Also the Country Cheese Co. on San Pablo. In Oakland, the Food Mill, the Hof Brau and Flint’s barbecue. Those were the days!
    Machka :love: cat pics, cat advice, beach walk pics but especially the chalk mural. :heart:
    Lisa congrats on the new beastie! Can just see you zipping around those acres. Would you pm me your Medium info?

Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD
    April: better than March.
    daily: steps=3262 vits=16.5 log=17 CI<CO=13 CI<250<CO=8 Tumble & Shadow 5=10 mfp=17 clean 10 mins=12 outside=14 up hill=19
    wkly: BB&B x3=0 rx=2 dance=4 
    mnthly: board mtg=1 grant=0 review 20for20=0
    bonus: AF=11 play=0 sew=0
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,825 Member
    Options
    Morning Ladies~
    i am up dressed and watching Little House on the Prairie .. and cooking shows..
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,215 Member
    Options
    Fascinating story ...

"WHEN JUNE ALMEIDA peered into her electron microscope in 1964, she saw a round, grey dot covered in tiny spokes. She and her colleagues noted that the pegs formed a halo around the virus—much like the sun’s corona."

Read much more ...
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/history/2020/04/june-almeida-discovered-coronaviruses-decades-ago-little-recognition
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,099 Member
    Options
    If someone is sick in your household, you have forced air, it is too hot or cold to open the windows they do make a filters that filters out virus's and bacteria it is a 1500 or greater. Room air purifiers have a HEPA filter that also filters out virus's and bacteria. I agree open windows are best to let in fresh air if not there are ways to improve air quality.

Any system that uses forced air will recycle the air. There are the ducts that give out the hot or cold air and the return ducts that return the air to the blower. The only fresh air is from the leaks in your home or business. Here they have worked to seal up all the leaks. We have what is called sick building syndrome and not properly taking care of air quality is part of it. If you are still working in a building and you believe this is true I would get a small air purifier to have near your work area and/or wear a mask. There are pictures for the Spanish Flu epidemic where workers were sitting at there work spaces with masks on.

I bought a small one air purifier for around $70 when I was doing asbestos work on our son's house. That is why I had the bug mask too. It was low risk because the first thing I did was paint the suspected areas (the tape was loose but not crumbling yet) but I did wear the mask and use the air purifier and threw out the clothes I wore until everything was sealed with paint. Showered daily too. What is was was a previous owner had used asbestos tape on the ducts I thought about getting pro in but even if they could get the tape off safely there would be a residue and someone would have had to paint it and do the process I did. This was proactive if we had waited until the tape crumbled then we would have had to call in the professionals. I then sealed the painted areas with foil tape and non fiberglass insulation. I used an insulation that is foil on two sides with bubble wrap between. It is put up with foil tape.

Unfortunately it made me very aware of seeing asbestos wrapped piping in buildings I work and exercise in. It was a common material until 1987 here. So I felt safer doing the work in my son's house and feel safer in his house than I do in some of the buildings I go into.

When I was doing this process I learned more about asbestos than I care to know from a hardware employee who worked in asbestos removal. One comment stuck with me he said some people who die from heart attack the heart attack is actually caused by the damage to the lungs that asbestos causes. This is partly why I believe it was my DSIL underlying lung condition mixed with the tuck pointing going on in her building is what killed her.

So anytime you can open the windows the air outside is the air outside will be better once the pollen season is over. Again if you are an allergy sufferer look to see what kind of filter you have on furnace/AC.
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,947 Member
    Options

SuziQ113 wrote: »
    When doing laundry I would put away one type of clothing at a time (washer and dryer are downstairs). So I would take the socks up first, put them away, then dress pants, etc.

I thought my husband and I were the only ones who did this! We participate in a motion program with our insurance that rewards us with gift cards for different kinds of movement. One is if we take short frequency walks of 400 steps 5 times a day. My husband goes as far as to take one item of clothing at a time to the bed and then fold them all up when he is done moving them. I find that I can get my 400 steps easily by doing as you do with one type of clothing at a time.