WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2020

Options

Replies

• grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,702 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies
    I am up having my tea ans watching tv,got Alfie out and he has had breakfast. So we are just waiting for Faith to wake up..Sheri told me she slept until 10:30 yesterday morning..
    We both think that Jean will.not contact hospice ..some people just cant deal.. and i just hope that it isnt Sheri or I that find her passed.. you cant make people do things .
    Rainy yucky day so it will be an inside day..
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    No words :heartbreak::heartbreak::heartbreak:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,874 Member
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    **The sixth life thing is 1) childhood 2) military 3) 1st husband 4) back to school and post-ed work 5) 2nd and final husband 6) early retirement. Interestingly, the lives don't line up to decades beginning and ending (I was in the most boring life, number 3, for what seemed like forever, but it was only 28 years. :wink: ), but I've had as many lives as I've had decades. How many have you had so far? Lives, not decades. :smile:

Love y'all,
    The unmanageable (and finally unmanaged) Lisa in AR

Lives ... hmmmm ...

That's actually quite difficult because even my childhood was broken by many moves.

But let's assume that childhood was all one. (1)

Then there was the bit between childhood and marriage when I was going for my first degree. That was short, but it was kind of a life. (2) Fun and carefree.

Marriage seemed to go on forever, but was really only 12 years. (3) However toward the end of that and into the separation, I started to escape ... so I'll call that another life. The escape years. (4) It was in those years that I got a bunch more education, started the ultra-distance cycling and really travelled on my own.

Then there was the 3 months I spent travelling around Australia with no home or job ... where I met my current husband the second time and got to know him a bit (5). Short but significant.

And the Bachelor of Education years (6). Another unique time in my life with no real home and several different jobs while I was getting that degree. I married my current husband in that time but the next life wouldn't really start until I moved to Australia and lived in the shack off the grid. That was a very different life! (7)

Then some very ordinary run-of-the-mill years (8) ... then 8 months travelling the world, again, no home or job (9) ... and the resettling years (10) where we ended up in Tasmania.

Then two overlapping lives, both of which I'm still in ... the Master's years (11) and the post-brain injury years (12).

You know that "where do you see yourself in 5 years" question? Absolutely no idea. One thing I've learned over the years is that 5 years from now I could be anywhere doing anything.

When I was 18 and thinking about what adult life would be like, I never imagined any of that. I had a whole different plan in mind. But that's OK. Somehow or another, I've done most of what I really wanted to do. :)

Machka in Oz
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    (((Margaret))): I am so sorry for the good people in Minneapolis. I hope this horrible situation will lead to massive changes in the police department. There needs to be arrests and prosecution of violent officers and a wholsale change in the police department command. Keep safe during this turmoil. <3
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,919 Member
    Options
    :) I see my life as a series of "chapters"--some longer than others. Each has contributed to the life I have now and the person I am now. I don't regret any of it or wish to return to any of it. I love the chapter I'm in right now.

:)Lisa, Congrats on your new status. Enjoy the new opportunities and create a structure that works for you.

:)Kelly, congrats on your grant. Your hard work, patience, and persistence continue to pay off for you.

:) Yesterday Jake said he couldn't decide whether to bake bread or help me wash the fence as the Saturday morning project. This morning he said that today was going to be a rest day for him. So no bread for me and I'll be washing the fence while listening to a podcast.

<3 Barbie in NW WA
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,052 Member
    Options
    This is the e-mail I sent to governor and both mayor with some tweaks depending on who I wrote...

My heart goes out to you. I hope you can take what ever moments you need to stay strong through this horror. I believe in you!

I wrote you a year ago backing you on your initiative for deescalating training for police. I am so sorry you were not supported in this. Our son had suffered police brutality at the time. I did not want to punish the officers. I wanted change so it would not happen again. You were on the right track.

I was the Kindergarten teacher in St. Paul of the young man who shot his girlfriend while she was holding his child because she challenge him on seeing other women. This mentally is foreign to me as it is to you. I tell you this story because this is mentally of this out of control crowd. They are no longer protesters. They are criminals. Do whatever it takes to put a stop to this!!!!!!!They will not listen to reason. They are beyond that.

These next thoughts are to help me understand why our community is so out of control. I did not include these in my e-mail.

This is beyond the police department. I taught in an inner city schools for twelve years. I saw the roots of what is going on today. I was spit on by a child while just walking students to another class, told I was a big fat ugly white women because I directed a child to come join us for a group, right after doing something misbehavior that I tried to redirect him I was told you are picking on me because of the color of my skin. I asked a student what if you did this behavior in a job. His reply oh I would be fired. When a Kindergartner struck another student the parent happened to walk in they only wanted to know what the other student did no response to the action that their child took. This parent also had multiple children by different partner. This was the child who grew up to shot his girlfriend while holding their child. I was screamed at by a student using the "F" word with little consequence to him. Again I was redirecting him follow school rules. I was groped by a student in my privates that I was unable to report because he was so subtle about it no one else witnessed it. I witnessed children assaulting teachers and destroying property with little to no consequences.

What did I take away from all this... If people want respect they have to give respect.

So there is another side to what is going on... My voice will not be heard now because this is like a forest fire that is out of control. It will eventually burn itself out and we will be left to pick up the pieces and salvage what we can.

I tell you these stories so one can better understand why these crowds are so out of control. It will take drastic measures to stop them.

In the meantime I just need to concentrate on my own health, the health of my son, husband, and garden garden garden and do what I need to do to stay safe.

:heartbreak:

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,548 Member
    Options
    well in additional to doing what I said yesterday, sold more stuff, I pressure washed the deck and front fence on the deck ad did pressure washed the front brick walkway to the house. today I plan on pressure washing the front sidewalk and Saturday is laundry day, + are stuff no doubt
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,212 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Lisa - I used to wash the clothes by hand when we used to go to French 'gites' in the old days. Then I hung them outdoors. I haven't done that for years, but to me it speaks of summer holidays somewhere beautiful. :D And I also was never without a book in my hand, walking to school, cleaning my teeth, ...... Isn't it great that you can now be who you really are!

KJ - Many CONGRATULATIONS! You thoroughly deserve every cent! <3

Chapters in my life?! I have divided my memoir up into three - childhood until we moved out of London, teenagehood until I went to university, which I'm writing now, and adulthood, but that last one might change. University was a chapter, not entirely happy for me, and then, I think, early marriage. Having the children was the next. Then the gradual, drawn out, drifting away from my husband. :'( That took a while and was agonising and sometimes exciting. My single years was another roller coaster, and then life changed completely when I met my DH. And became a granny.
    I feel I am now much more my authentic self.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    All morning watching news to mayor MARGARET they said tonight will be way worse so if you y son can go anywhere safe please do the cops to firemen y National Gaurd saying people from other states joined the riots there out numbered. Stay safe please. They even tried to set poor area on fires apartments. They said no post office or stores for those without cars that their at the mercy of the riots y pandemic shortage at once. Hopefully that can be remedied soon for them.

Rebecca- Daughter y JR can’t tolerate meat but the Navy been very accommodating since Daughter is a Mainly vegetable y RAW fish diet “Pescatarian” all her new bases show her where to get sushi 🍣 to salads where vegetarian taco places are. The NEX has been stocking extra noodle TV dinner meals since the quarantine after she told them of her diet issues fear of not being able to go off base for food. She said they even got in some new ones after telling them she’s finding new ones she didn’t know exists lives now. JRs imagination y practice of words is getting interesting. Last night he was yelling that he was pooping in his shoe. That Pooh has a baby ate him all ups. Daddy is flying.
    I came in he stopped looked like nothing was happening.Left heard Oh nooooo plane crashed in the tub. Lol 😂 I wonder about this kid. Hubby shakes his head went to bed said that’s your department.Well Thankyou hubby lol 😂 for the show of support lol.

Amber Tx

Eating 1 slice of pizza per meal y probably my muffins tonight .Exercise . Cleaning up.

Calling my Dad hopefully
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We had a thunderstorm with lightning this morning, in full view from our window. It was wonderful to see. A group who had been camping on the island across the channel from us were rescued at the beach by a small barge during the thunder, lightning & rain. I’m sure the campers were happy to be rescued and will tell the story of their rescue for years to come beginning with, “Remember the time . . .
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    KJ- Got lots of relatives in law enforcement the truck is for him to work hard where he’s at get a feel if it’s boys club talk with other sectors move to them. One cousin left crooked police dept for sheriff,another for court house,another moved to highway patrol,another to a local police department that are better than where they started.Others luckily started in a good one. He can always make it clear how he feels ask not to be included in that get a like minded partner. You do you I’ll do me attitude until a better higher up comes in to shake things up.

Carol- Glad they turned out wonderfully. Hubby being Jewish doesn’t believe in the baby being bathed in his mother’s milk (means no cow milk over a calf hamburger meat to no goat milk on a baby goat meat). JR sticking with a Jewish diet like hubby. Daughter her own.I’ll eat anything under the sun 🌞 my family stopped practicing Jewish diets when they fled Hitler because they were children learned other adults diets when they came to America y Brazil.
    Amber Tx
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,846 Member
    Options
    “ Rita - Hola! I love my Duolingo. I'm nearing the completion of the whole first level of Norwegian. I hope I get the chance to use it one day when cruises are safe to resume. ;) I also listen to Spanish and French on Utube. I don't always understand the Spanish because they speak so quickly, but it keeps my ear in. I am currently listening to a woman who has a slower delivery, which is better. 30 days to change your life. :D
    The best French course I have ever found is Français avec Pierre. He speaks slowly and clearly and has levels from beginners to intermediate/advanced. All free.
    I'm listening daily to Julie's Hugo Decrypte. Bit fast, but some helpful graphics.
    Have I ever said I LOVE my languages. :laugh:

Heather UK xxxxxxxx”

I grew up speaking “canuk” French, had to learn ‘proper’ French for 12 years of Catholic school. In college I took 1 semester of Spanish which was easy for me as it is very similar to French. I also took 1 semester of sign language and loved it! The unfortunate thing is I never have opportunity to use any of it until recently here at the park. I can get the gist of what the Mexicans are saying and can help them. Believe it or not, we get tons of campers from French Canada and France! Great practice for me as it all comes back!

Also, my high school best friend has reconnected with me and she works with deaf children teaching sign language in Australia! I love languages too! 😉

Rv Rita
  • cityjaneLondon
    Options
    Rita - I love how crazy Duolingo is! My latest sentence was - 'The young woman was so confident she walked across the room and introduced herself to the Crown Prince.' There's a whole novel in there! :D

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • cityjaneLondon
    edited May 2020
    Options
    In ten minutes there's a repeat of the very first ever Midsomer Murders. We are going to watch it. :p Love John Nettles. Dud you ever get Bergerac in the States?

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx