WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2020

Options

Replies

• pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,669 Member
    Options
    bwcetc wrote: »
    Pip! ... someone as coordinated as you are on a bike fell walking!?! So sorry for your injuries ...

Tonya ... welcome! Very sorry for your loss...

Michele ... to be honest, the idea of people returning food items is kinda gross to me. I understand returning a spoiled or expired item, but that's about it.

Machka ... glad to see you posting again. Without question, your fatigue is a delayed stress response. Listen to your body's signals.

Beth near Buffalo

Lmao! Yup, uneven sidewalk
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,118 Member
    Options
    1948Peachy wrote: »
    Question: Are any of you wiping down your grocery type purchases when you get them home? My husband has been very, very good about doing this.

Carol in GA

No.

The grocery pickers & packers (probably just one person) will have put my order together in the morning. From then, individual items don't get touched because the bags are in crates. When the order arrives early in the evening, the delivery driver doesn't touch our individual items ... he brings the crates to the door and we take the bags out of the crates.

Hours pass between the time someone touches our food and the time we get it.

sndral wrote: »
    exermom wrote: »
    ...Here’s another thing: I need M&M’s for PJ’s cake. Normally, what I would have done is buy two packages and if I didn’t need the second one, on my next trip to that store I would have returned it. But the stores aren’t taking returns. So…if when I decorate the cake today I find that I need more M&M’s, I’m going to have to go back to the store. So in my case the stores are encouraging people to go out....
    If you bought too many couldn’t you just use the leftover M&Ms later, or, if you bought too few, space them further apart on the cake?
    I’m ok w/ stores not taking returns. I think it discourages hoarders if they realize they’ll have to live with their excessive purchases. I’m so clueless, I didn’t even know you could return things to grocery stores, so it’s a relief to me to know that nothing I buy at present has spent time in someone else’s home.
    Sandra - from the central coast of CA.

I agree!

My grocery store doesn't take returns now unless the item is faulty and I've only returned something once, years ago. I'm not sure what their return policy was prior to COVID-19, but I do know that we were delivered a bag of goods in error a year or so ago, rang them up and told them, and were told to just keep them.

They say,

"If you have purchased additional items, we encourage you to share with those in need, in particular, the elderly, disabled and most vulnerable."

At the best of times, I don't like the idea that my food might have spent time in someone else's home.

Machka in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,318 Member
    Options
    ☘️
  • Machka9
    Options
    M – I’m so sorry you’re still being hounded. No, that wasn’t an app, it was an article in our local paper. Liked the fencing cartoon. How true!

Michele NC
    Machka9 wrote: »
    "exermom wrote: »
    I was just reading an article about the proposed things different businesses will be doing. It says that Verizon will have this scanner so that their employee never has to touch the item. Is that saying that multiple customers will be touching the scanner? I would think if that was so that it would be best for one person (the employee) to touch the scanner.

Is it an app?

Machka in Oz

No, I meant the scanner ... is the scanner an app?

M in Oz

• Machka9
    Options
    COVID-19

Have you been following https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ ?

Meanwhile in Tassie we've had no new cases for 4 days in a row. But I'm hoping that they don't start opening things up too quickly. We're still quite shut down at this point, and I like that. :)

I think the plan is to open the parks and reserves in about mid-May as a first step. That would be all right. There's a reserve right near me I wouldn't mind getting into for some trail walking and running. :)

M in Oz
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,669 Member
    Options
    Lll
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,380 Member
    Options
    Heather – what an absolutely cute note!

Sandra – fortunately, I had enough M&M’s for the cake and the rest Vince can have. I put them in an M&M cookie jar – out of sight. When you return something to a store, they have to throw it out. They can’t take the chance of someone perhaps putting something in the food/whatever and then the next person gets sick. This is just spoilage for the store.

Carol GA – I don’t wipe down every item I bring home. When I go to any store that has the disinfecting wipes (and almost all of them do), I take some extra and besides wiping down the cart, I keep my hands on the wipes. Then when I touch something, I immediately wipe my hands. Then after I put away the groceries, I wash my hands

Amber – I was about to suggest you google the name of the magazine, but I see you got it all straightened out. Good for you!

Beth – I have even seen people returning a case of water/whatever where they drank one can and it wasn’t what they thought. That I could never do. Like I said, the store can’t resell anything that has gone out its door.

I was reading that this guy who won a Pulitzer about viruses has said (according to statistics) that a lock down does more harm than good. By being with other people, you are more likely to get the virus and therefore make antibodies. The article didn’t go into people who are extra sensitive (I thought of you Barbie) Who knows?

Beth – when my son graduated college, he didn’t want to take part in the ceremony. I just told him for the amount of money we spent, if I have to I’ll walk him across that stage. I just couldn’t understand his reluctance to go.

M – the food is thrown out, it is not sold to you. To be honest, I don’t know if the scanner is an app or not. I was thinking (and I could be wrong) that it was the type of scanner like you see at a food store. Never thought of it being a phone app since this is a phone company.

Michele NC
  • Machka9
    Options
    To be honest, I don’t know if the scanner is an app or not. I was thinking (and I could be wrong) that it was the type of scanner like you see at a food store. Never thought of it being a phone app since this is a phone company.

Michele NC

Looks like it is probably the 'My Verizon' app ... they've got a very awkward website to navigate, but it does appear that one of the features of the 'My Verizon' app is barcode scanning.

We've got barcode scanning here in MFP too, so it has been around a while ... and it would be nice to see barcode scanner app used more often. :)

I have a dream app I'd like to see developed ...

One where you could take a photo of your meal or scan it in some way, and it would give you the nutritional information, calories, etc. :smiley:

For it to work, you'd need a way of measuring the food ... weight, preferably, but perhaps also quantity. And there would also have to be a way of identifying the food. A number of things to work out.

Machka in Oz
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Buffalo Beth- When I raised Chickens the tough ones were older birds! Got to get them when their young. Probably an old bird slipped by looking younger than her/his age well tough meat. Can boil it still until it’s done shred the meat add some taco seasonings.

Amber Tx
  • Machka9
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    If this is the “new normal,’ I will be delighted when we are all able to return to the "old normal." :ohwell:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

The thing with "normal" is that once we've moved to a "new normal" we rarely go back to an "old normal".

I'm hoping that this will be enough to shake the world up to consider doing things differently and thinking about things differently.

Elsewhere I commented on my vision for offices and mentioned one large meeting room, a few smaller meeting rooms (depending on the size of the organisation), a few cubicles for quiet work, and otherwise working from home.
    https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/2020/04/will-coronavirus-end-the-open-office-floor-plan/

Someone commented that the idea of being crammed into small meeting rooms didn't appeal, so I suggested booths and another person commented about an internet cafe look ... in other words, everyone sitting in their booths facing the wall.

That wasn't what I was thinking. I was thinking like this ...
    cjfe92bda9pv.png

Or this, but not necessarily the middle section ...
    e5vuraiqz159.png

I like thinking about different ways we could do things to make the world healthier. :) COVID-19 has had a big impact, but flus have been getting worse too ... and lots of scientists etc. say that COVID-19 is just the beginning. There will be more.

So what are some things we can do?

Well, the barcode app I mentioned in the post above is one idea. Different office setups is another idea. Different ways of doing university and school in general ... that's an area that really needs a shake-up!

Machka in Oz
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Michele- Yeah the newspaper company sells all names of magazines under 1 hat.When I googled the Oprah wasn’t any in our area. You wouldn’t believe how many places I called to find who they used. Yes the schools sell it for the newspaper too so might be how they got it. Neighbor still won’t get it so Hubby finally yelled you getting your bleep 🤬 or what off my porch? They answered back No bleep 🤬. So hubby said it’s my wife’s then .They both slammed the door. Hubby handed me Oprah. What am I going to do with Oprah I don’t even watch her show let alone read her magazine! Her y Martha Stewart don’t care for their stuff. Chef Emiril y Chef Gordon now theirs a magazine I’d like to have! I’m more into cooking ,decorating,y gardening ones that are plain y simple not about makeup 💄y girly junk. I also love fishing magazines. Good thing I called the magazine company they know the situation should fix it now. If I was paying for something not getting it I’d cancel or call to ask where it is! Lazy folks I guess could care less.

Amber Tx

Tired 😴 need to go through JRs clothes but no motivation at all. I really need to tho. I also need to see if I have even 1 pair of shorts that will fit me! Mine are bagging so bad it’s getting sad!
  • Machka9
    Options
    vvwl78htsyeb.png
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,651 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,522 Member
    Options
    47elmhpe4o2y.jpg
    💖Rebecca
    Whidbey Island
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Barbara the Southern Oregon coastie: I am so sorry for the loss of your instructor. :broken_heart::heart:

1948 Peachy: I do not wipe down the packaging on foods at the grocery store. In the fresh veggie aisles, I buy romaine lettuce that is already packaged. Green onions are bundled but not packaged so I put them in one of the clear plastic bags at the veggie aisle. I’m not a fan of iceberg lettuce but DH likes it. :star:

Machka: I prefer it if my food hasn’t spent time in someone else’s bags or their homes. :noway: On another topic, I do not have Verizon but my iphone has barcode scanning as a function. :star: Thank you for posting “Protect yourself and others from getting sick.” I planned to share it but didn't succeed. Luckily, you did succeed.

Thanks.

Katla

• cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,327 Member
    Options
    Tracey - It's great to have a date for things you remember so vividly, but can't remember exactly when. Your dad sounds like a great guy who really loved you. <3
    On rereading my diaries for my memoir I found out that my dad had his big car accident on February 24th 1964. I was 14. I remember the occasion really well, but wouldn't have been able to place it exactly. He had a coughing fit, agd 43, and drove into a ditch, flipping the car right over. He survived, despite no seat belts in those days, but the cough finally killed him 28 years later.
    Sorry about your snow. :'( We had the sunniest April ever, (plus the wettest February ). May is proving to be more mixed. We are supposed to get rain today.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx