WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR MAY 2020

Options

Replies

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Barbara AHMOD - there are definitely some traits that benefit me in parts of my life but are a drag in other parts. That everlasting drive to be better every single time suits my work situation, but it wears in my life. It also lends to the black & white thinking that says, if I haven't gotten better, I've lost. Which makes me a loser. I'm trying to make peace with that (good phrase) in all sides of my life... and shift my focus to the effort, rather than the number... to the journey, rather than the end result. Pick a metaphor, any metaphor... *sigh* Maybe I'll get there by 70! :wink:

Kim - loved the masks! One interesting thing about all this is that we are ALL going to have to learn to read eyes instead of lips--and I know my husband focuses on my lips to discern my emotions, because he's told me he does. Should be interesting.

Allie - So pleased about the job - ask them to write you a letter of reference. Sounds old-fashioned, but the people who need your care out there appreciate the old ways, as well. It couldn't hurt anyway!

Tonya - Love, love, LOVE that drop of water on a flower petal. Just stunning.

Karen - Your parents' picture is wonderful. Thank you for that.

Rowing done - husband's up and about, time for a little breakfast then a bunch of yardwork as soon as the dew dries.

Love y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,561 Member
    Options
    my bike's front stem has gotten really stiff., bummer, I rode it for as long as I could and it's gotten worse. have to drop it off at the bike shop. they are out til the my bday or passed it (25th) so I will have to take out my winter bike and ride that instead. that's gonna b slow. oh well, at least I have 2 bikes. for those of you who don't know, that's where the handle bars are and what makes it turn. not bad on big wide turns but if u have to make a quick sharp turn could be dangerous.

may put the other bike on the trainer to see how it goes and right now, (8:19am, pst) gonna go take yogi out for a run., don't think it will b too fast, my calves are kinda tight., then come home and take the bike to the shop
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,561 Member
    Options
    just saw yesterdays stats the I posted CORRECTION, 14.8amph, NOT 18.8amph, I was like what?
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,633 Member
    Options
    B)
  • Anniesquats100
    Anniesquats100 Posts: 3,051 Member
    Options
    I will be making a Mother's Day card this year. Too many people paw through the store racks. I'm becoming such a germaphobe!

Annie in cold sunny Delaware. Chance of sleet later today!
  • JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options
    Tonya- They really area plus they have their girlfriends to wives include Daughter in their gal outings so she learning about makeup 💄 to clothes y hair y nails. She pays to be painted up for a hour then goes home to her blue jeans y T-shirt’s lol 😂. But if she goes out she has nice outfits..if she goes out she’s a hermit but luckily the guys game with her online to take her to the gun range to help her practice even.When the guys go wallet to wallet chain shopping they take her so she can get a new one...she has never carried a purse ever she’s a mans wallet gal.
    Of course she has cargo pockets since she wears men’s pants a lot so she doesn’t really need a purse. Hubby took her wallet shopping last visit y electronic wallets for the phone. He made the mistake of buying her makeup..its at my house in the closet lol 😂.

Amber Tx

I finally found out how many calories is in eating JRs pizza crust 86 I think . So adding it to be more accurate from now on.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    We have bright, bright sunshiny day. I plan to do a little grocery shopping. Trying to talk DH into going with me but I doubt he is willing. 🙄
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,229 Member
    Options
    I managed to message our friends in Colombia and got a reply. He will write DH an email. He is one of DH's young colleagues from teaching, who married a Colombian wife and now has two children out there. We always get on so well when we see them every few years or so. He said he has some interesting news. It would be great if they are coming home. <3
    We nearly went out to see them a few years ago, but it didn't quite work out. Wrong time of year for them.

All my deliveries have arrived, so I will take DDIL's present of Sweaty Betty leggings over tomorrow. Maybe earlier rather than later as rain is coming down from the north.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

• JRsLateInLifeMom
    JRsLateInLifeMom Posts: 2,275 Member
    Options

Old Navy now selling washable kids masks if anyone needs the links y prices the article shows them. I’m in Texas but my city isn’t going by the Govenor rules..(Govenor Republican/Mayor Democrat neither agrees on anything at all). If these 2 men would just work together this would be less confusing times.

https://apple.news/AZKzcLqgyQ2CegdhUMX0cJA

Amber Tx

Texas Governor- Pools are open!!
    Mayor of San Antonio- No no pools here!
    https://www.ksat.com/news/local/2020/05/07/public-swimming-pools-in-texas-can-open-friday-but-san-antonio-will-keep-city-pools-closed-for-now/?outputType=amp

Costco ages 3+ must wear a mask now axyx10hwurp1.jpeg

Exercising,eating good,y taking things at a slow pace today.
  • BeUncommon
    BeUncommon Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    Lisa in AR > Thank you very much :) Will post another for you!!

Katla > That is a wonderful idea :) If they cannot have a problem graduation at least it gives them something to show their achievements x

Annie > Much nicer and more personal to do it yourself :) I'm sure your mom would like it even more!

Amber, hey whatever makes her comfortable :) She seems to have a great support system and some pretty awesome friends :)

Tonya

waterdrop on a feather

yfrbcl97cdgf.jpg
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,861 Member
    Options
    Barbie in SW Oregon, told my DH and both thought that would be lovely! As long as tree branches and wires are high enough to go under, we might just take you up on that! :happy:

RV Rita
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,465 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Rebecca: I love Tillamook ice cream but I don’t buy it to bring home. I eat too much of it if it is here. We have/had a shop in town that sells ice cream by the cup or cone along with sandwiches, candy, and funny cards. It is currently closed to the public by order of the governor. I loved being able to buy one scoop and eat it with a spoon in the shop. If I by a carton of Tillamook ice cream at the store, I eat WAY too much so I had to quit buying ice-cream. I have a box of low fat fudgesicles and allow myself to have one once in a while. :ohwell:

Terri: I love it that you are a VE baby! My dad served in the US Navy in the Solomon Islands during WWII. He had nightmares about it for the balance of his life. :ohwell: I came along a few years after the war ended. :star:

Heather: I expect to be participating in a city meeting via Zoom next week. It will likely run on and on. I’ll be at home on my computer. We had one practice run, but I am not confident that I’ll be able to remember just what to do. :embarassed:

Karen: Your parents were a handsome couple and your mom was gorgeous. :flowerforyou:

Dr. Katie: I envy your access to a beauty salon. Ours are locked out by order of the governor. :ohwell:

Kim: Your wedding masks are delightful!!! :star:

Lanette: I planted purple pod beans yesterday. My chives and parsley take care of themselves in pots, and the blueberry bushes are budding. The other herbs I have in pots are alive but not flourishing so far. :ohwell:

Our school district figured out a nice graduation for the seniors this year. Families will drive to the County Courthouse and the graduate will sit in the car until it is their turn, then walk up the courthouse steps to receive their graduation certificate. A photo will be taken, and they’ll go back to their family’s car. They drive away and the next car has its turn. I hope they have a bright, sunshiney day.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

My husband loves to mix a couple scoops with milk to make himself a milkshake💖 I am more of a chocolate bar lady.
    💖Rebecca
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    RITA ~ You take the most beautiful photos. I think you could easily be a professional!

Carol in GA
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,494 Member
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Couldn't wait to post this:
    unquote
    REOPENING BROOKINGS
    Brookings Osprey City Logo

On May 6, 2020, The City Council voted to partially open up Transient Lodging Facilities in Brookings at 50% capacity, effective Friday, May 8th. Lodging facilities must follow the CDC, OHA, and Best Management guidelines. These guidelines and other sector guidelines for Phase One can be found on the City’s website at: https://www.brookings.or.us/344/Reopening-Brookings.

May 7, 2020, Governor Kate Brown held a press conference on Oregon’s reopening plan where the newest version of “Reopening Oregon: Details on Restarting Public Life and Business” was discussed. You can find that document at: https://oracp.memberclicks.net/assets/2020/COVID-19Messages/2020-05-07-Reopening-Oregon-Details-on-Restarting-Public-Life-and-Business.pdf

City Parks’ restrooms and parking lots were reopened this week. Although parking lots are now open, specific areas of the park are still closed per Governor’s orders – playgrounds, pools, skate parks, and sports courts, and are signed appropriately. Restrooms are open at all city parks, except Easy Manor, as it remains closed since it is primarily a playground.
    unquote

The news that the parks' bathrooms and parking lots are open again is welcome. The news that sports courts are not makes me wonder what the "appropriately" signed signs say... :devil:
    Lighter, lovelies!
    f8qt1s098sxm.gifBarbara, the Southern Oregon Coastie AHMOD

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,465 Member
    Options
    Well videoing with my youngest son has done me a mental reset.💖. He wasn't able to hear us, and he able to see us, so after us looking at him for a spell and smiling doing hand signals, he had to turn the video part off. My middle son and I were still able to video chat, and then still listen to youngest in Japan. My youngest son, along with every sailor onboard his ship, have been in quarantine for 3 months now. They still go out to sea, and pull into ports but no one can disembark. It saves the ships crew from going into 2 week self isolation each and every port visit. When I am whining about not being able to go to our book store, I think of him stuck on his ship.💖
    This week has been good weight wise. Losing a lb a day, with no real eggort, or denial. Maybe some grumbling in the middle of the night.💖
    💖Rebecca
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,754 Member
    Options
    Tonya ... I'm sorry to take so long to answer your question regarding IF or intermittent fasting. I've been reading on my phone, but not responding. Today I'm on the laptop.

Anyways, several ladies on this site follow some form of intermittent fasting for several reasons ... weight loss, reduction of inflammatory diseases, managing insulin, autophagy, etc. Rebecca shared information from one proponent of fasting. I became interested after reading Dr. Bert Herring's book on the subject. His focus is appetite correction and simply eating within a 5 hour consecutive period each day, fasting the remaining hours. https://www.bertherring.com. This link has really good information. I initially chose to fast 19 hours and then eat within a 5 hour window, but have extended my fasts for both physical and spiritual reasons. I was stalled in weight loss and had actually put on weight after following strictly with MFP. I have since lost weight ... 26 pounds since starting over a year ago (1/2 pound a week is pretty good!! when there are no restrictions). Currently, I am just maintaining through this quarantine time ... more like damage control. Other benefits for me have included improved blood pressure, improved cholesterol and A1C levels, and reduced joint inflammation. I no longer have acid reflux. I sleep better than ever. We talk a lot in fasting circles about "autophagy .... the natural, regulated mechanism of the cell that removes unnecessary or dysfunctional components. It allows the orderly degradation and recycling of cellular components." The benefits are only beginning to be understood, but many respected medical organizations are noting that patients who practice fasting are doing well. In essence, our bodies need a break from dealing with glucose to do cellular repair work. My doctor encourages me to continue with my fasting because she loves my blood lab results!! I will continue with this lifestyle as it suits me. As Dr. Bert Herring says, it's a "study of one" ... and in my study of me it is working.

On another note ... your photos are outstanding! Thank you for sharing!

Beth near Buffalo