WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2020

Options

Replies

• dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 3,008 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Dellafayfox: We live beside the Columbia River and have relatives in eastern Oregon who we visit once in a while. I was trying to figure out the location of an island in the river above Bonneville Dam. DH told me that he’d point it out the next time we travel that way. It may be quite a while before we travel. :ohwell: :flowerforyou:

I like your masks. One of our shopkeepers here in town has been making masks for sale. It appears that we’ll all be using masks for some time to come and this is a good way for talented sewers to make an important contribution to overall health. :flowerforyou:

Debbie: Your masks also look great. :star:

To both of you:

Grocery stores in our area are requiring masks. Remember the old saying, “No shirt, no shoes, no service?” Now we need to add “No mask, no service ” to the list. The two of you and many others are helping to keep people safe. Thank you both!

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

masks are required everywhere here too- most stores enforce it really well, a few don't do it as much as they could.
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Debbie Those are very nice looking mask. I like the idea of the velcro in the back. For walking, I use a super stretchy nylon/spandex compression neck choker that is mainly for neck support and I added extra material to it that pulls up for mask part. It is easy to wash and dries quickly.

I started doing the Velcro ones when I ran out of the elastic I had on hand- I had 25yrds of Velcro I had picked up a few years ago at a yard sale- didn't know what I would use it for but knew I would and was a great price. Ran out of that too so had to order more of both. Bought extra- won't run out any time soon. Same with the fabric. Spent $45 last week but have enough for a few 100 more if not more.
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    MCRAIT ~ You joined by posting. Tell us a bit about yourself and how you want us to call you as MCRAIT is hard to remember.

Carol in Georgia
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,916 Member
    Options
    Camping I have been camping since a child. Started with tent camping, then parents got a pop up but kids had to be in tent. Then parents went to a small tow but I had moved out by then and married my first DH. Hated camping by then cause I had 3 kids and no one helped cook or sweep out sand or anything. Not a vacation for me. What really killed it was when my X decided to drive to Florida and stay at a campground in a tent. The campground cost the same per night as a hotel/motel in the area and it was cold at night so had to go out and buy new sleeping bags for everyone. Never went camping with second DH until we went full time in an RV. First year traveling across country and site seeing and now hosting for the last 2 years in Roswell, NM. Chores are shared this time. I retired at 61 and am now 64 and feels like one long camping vacation so far.

Today is calendar has a long list of things to celebrate:

Esperanto Day worldwide
    National Tree Day in Australia
    One Voice Day Worldwide
    Saint Anne Feast Day Christian
    Parents Day in US
    All or Nothing Day worldwide
    National Chili Dog Day in US
    National Coffee Milkshake Day in US
    National Aunt and Uncle Day in US
    Day of Maritime Search and Rescue Germany
    Navy Day in Russia
    Reek Sunday in Ireland
    Kargil Vijay Diwas in India
    Day of the National Rebellion in Cuba
    Independence Day in Liberia and Maldivis

RV Rita
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Just checked MFP- check-in, last time I added my weight was in Jan. I am 2 ounces HEAVIER today than I was then- still sticking to the 1000 cal a day like I have for over a year- Really need to add in more exercise- Getting discouraged.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,516 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Tracey - That was some amazing bargain you picked up! :D

Beth - They are nice, but no way worth that kind of money. They would be half that price over here. Try ringing or emailing. It never hurts to complain.

Rebecca - I'm a bit like you. Once I start cleaning I have to do it properly. >:) That's another reason I have a cleaner. Her standards are different to mine, but my house looks presentable. She only has two hours every two weeks! I hate the way she moves things though! I am very OCD about the placement of objects and hate them out of position. I think she wants me to know she's been there and cleaned!
    As a child I was severely OCD to a debilitating level, and a little of that has stayed with me. It's not a problem now, but occasionally I notice it.
    I was touched yesterday that the cleaner turned up with her own, much superior, hoover, in order, she said, to get into the edges. :D I didn't see her when she finished so I will text her to thank her for taking the extra care.

The sun is shining this morning. I don't know if the family stuck it out yesterday in the tent. It was HORRIBLE weather! They often switch their phones off when relaxing, so I didn't enquire. :o
    I used to camp out all the time with my parents as a teenager. Mostly in Europe. When I was first married we also camped. And a couple of times when my kids were young. Purely through tight finances, not from choice. My honeymoon was camping for a month! It often rained and rained and rained. And rained. Nothing is more miserable.
    I spent my young years envying like crazy the 'posh' people in the nice hotels.
    Caravans are a big step up and it amuses me that you Americans call it camping. No way! Nor are shacks camping. Nothing with a roof and a toilet is camping.
    The only tents I have been in since are the mega luxury kind with their own toilets and showers, a huge, gorgeous bed and a nice young man to bring you tea and biscuits in the morning. Kenya, and Rajasthan in India.
    These days both DH and I have to go to the loo three or four times a night. The thought of zipping myself out of a sleeping bag and a soggy wet tent is not appealing. No way. Even a dry tent. You need a very strong bladder for camping.

Time for tea!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx

Over the years I have come to the conclusion that traveling takes so much mental and physical energy. The change in how I start, and end my days is messed up. I also get up 3/4 times a night. I love my own space! Sometimes husband stirs after I get up. I make noise so he knows I am in the bathroom. Once or twice he has come into the bathroom not knowing I am on the toilet! Scared the heck outta both of us! I physically have issues when I travel. My sleeping is off as well as my digestion. It usually takes a couple days for my body to acclimate.
    Cleaning and being particular is a good thing in my book. My husband likes to move items just a bit. I normally group items in groups of three, (for some reason). I am excited for our management company putting in bids for the driveway, and painting the house! Now for the owner on the east coast to make decisions.
    💖Rebecca
    Whidbey
    Washington
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Our vet's assistant called and requested a photo of our old dog's backside. He has a cyst of some sort. I sent it to her so the doctor could see. Haven't heard anything back yet. :star:
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,650 Member
    Options
  • Katla49
    Options
    Faye: Thank you for the story of Chicken Charlie. It is hard to imagine living alone on an island for so many years. The time span between 1916 and 1963 is a long one. I've never heard about it before and it is nice to learn a bit of Oregon/Columbia River history. THANK YOU! :heart:
  • Katla49
    Options
    (((Pip)))
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,292 Member
    Options
    Rita: Lovely banner. Very colourful!
  • TerriRichardson112
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Beth: The bouquet is nice enough, but inferior to what was ordered so I would definitely contact them to query it. I think some Mail order florists bank on the recipient not knowing what has been ordered. We had the same problem with flowers ordered from New Zealand by my BiL for DMiL for one Mother's Day. The flowers were from Interflora! and they bore little resemblance to what had been ordered, were barely alive. I went straight to the shop that delivered them and demanded a refund, and told them that it was going on Facebook if I didn't get it. They paid up and we bought mum a lovely bouquet from M&S.
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    💜💛💚💙
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,066 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Lisa, I loved your description of camping as pretending to be homeless. Someone once told he that her idea of "camping" was staying at a two star motel that didn't have HBO. I like my own house best and a nice motel second. When I first met Jake, he asked me if I like camping and when I said no, he was delighted because he didn't like it either.

When we travel, I like cabins best, especially relatively remote cabins.

Then nice B&Bs, especially those where you've got a certain degree of self-sufficiency.

There was a time when we'd stay wherever, but I'm getting more fussy.

Machka in Oz
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,066 Member
    Options
    dlfk202000 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    My husband and I are feeling a little bit sad.

I've packed up my work stuff in preparation to go back to the office this week.

It's been such a happy, relaxed, delightful, fantastic 4 months ... now that's coming to an end.

But maybe there will be a second wave and we'll be sent home again.

I'm not taking back as much as I brought home ... just the essentials. If I have to move home again, I'll be ready to go in a matter of minutes!!

Machka in Oz

When I was talking to my former sister in law(delivering the masks she ordered from me) she said their office is not planning on opening until 2021. She works for a city tourism. She works at home four days a week and only goes to the office once a week to get the mail, pay the bills, etc.

Debbie
    Napa Valley, CA

We're pretty much back to normal here except that we've got to keep distance between each other.

I stopped in at the office to drop off my computer equipment today. They've got signs up everywhere and stickers on the floor indicating where to walk and how far apart to be.

It was nice to see my work colleagues so that makes it a bit easier.

Tomorrow I'll go in for my first real day back.

Machka in Oz
  • TerriRichardson112
    edited July 2020
    Options
    We camped when we first got married. It was the only way we could afford a holiday. DED was only 6 months old the first time I camped. It was in a small ridge tent. I was more into Youth Hostelling as a teenager. Eventually we had our own frame tent and raised camp beds. We camped in France when the girls were older. In later years I much preferred staying in a hotel.

☘️ Terri