WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2020

Options

Replies

• LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    Morning, afternoon and evening...

Hope everyone had a lovely weekend. Ours was quiet--the routine is working out to me doing all the grocery shopping on Friday, so we have the whole weekend to stay home. Really enjoying finding the rhythms in this retired life. We canned pickles and salsa this weekend--well, my husband did the heavy lifting. Still doing all the processing outside on the grill burner, which helps so much with keeping the house reasonably cool.

Regarding making fresh bread, in a spoiler because it's interminably long and budget-heavy:
    I've got my mother's old recipe down to a working routine for making bread every Saturday or Sunday - I make 12 hamburger-sized rolls (about 150 calories each), and it works for Corey's lunches for the week and hamburgers one night, and various other things during the week.

For instance, if you trim off the outside crust on top and bottom, split them, and then turn them inside out, they make really good grilled cheese sandwiches. I use light mayonnaise instead of butter to grill them. Very satisfying comfort food, and only about 280 calories all told. Budget wise, it only costs about 65 to 75 cents (including cost of gas for the oven) for the equivalent of two loaves of bread, so it's quite a savings, considering that a good loaf of wheat bread is between $3 and $5 now.

Side note: I bought the Bob's Red Mill yeast about five years ago now, in a batch of a half dozen bags. We've hauled it thousands of miles, and it is still viable yeast. I've only just started the second bag, and they live in the freezer, so I have hope they'll supply yeast for years to come.

Also made pizza dough Friday afternoon, which makes a double batch, so I have one frozen for next time. Corey usesit to make pizza in a cast iron frying pan that turns out great. He's a terrific cook. If we bought a pizza from Domino's, it would be around $20, of course. With all the things he puts on pizza, especially ground beef, I would estimate it costs probably $3.50 all of it--but he used tomatoes from the garden cooked down for the sauce, jalapenos from the garden and wild garlic.

If we only bought premade pizza dough that is also high--the only premade one that's edible is Boboli, and for the same amount I make for 75 cents, they charge $7.50. So, any way you look at it, it's a savings.

And mine's better. :)

Corey's off to work, so I'll throw the sheets and what clothes got dirty since yesterday in the laundry, work out on the elliptical and the rower, then go drag the hoses around the yard to water everything, fingers crossed for rain on Wednesday! The combination of all is working out to 700 to 900 calories burned, so I'm pretty happy with it. I'll have to come up with something for the fall when we don't water anymore.

To whoever mentioned the C2C crochet, thank you! Gave me an idea to make afghans for the grands for Christmas presents, each one with their own initial letter about three feet high in the middle. Luckily, all straight-line letters, L, H, and T! While I know they find these gifts boring now, their mama will make sure they keep them as they grow up, and they will matter to them later. That's enough. Plus I have enough yarn to supply a store, and need to get it made into something.

Two recommendations needed:

Does anyone take fiber regularly that doesn't upset your stomach? I'm looking for a fiber supplement that won't leave me doubled over with gas, one I can introduce in small amounts to counteract the iron I have to take every day. I hate most vegetables, and am utterly burnt out on oatmeal and oatbran.

I can't remember the other recommendation I need. It will come back to me later. :blush:

Later y'all,
    Love,
    Lisa
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Thanks for idea PIP
    tmj476bhxxdd.jpg
  • Faetta
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Photo I took to prove there is a stash of gold hidden on the Northside of Chicken Charlie's Island. In 2007
    I could have bought the island for a mere 1.4 million. Sadly I was 1.399 million shy and they refused my offer.
    viwtrxk1dmw9.jpg

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,066 Member
    Options
    A couple other things that help me stay organised (as much as possible) ...

-- Have a place for things. A reasonably easily accessible place. One of the problems I have is when something comes into the house and I don't have a place for it. It gets moved here, there and everywhere and stuff get stacked on it or it gets stacked on stuff. But once I decide where it goes, then it stays there.

For example, I bought quite a few DVDs (yes, I still watch DVDs) between the time when my husband came home from the hospital 2 years ago and the time we shut down this year. One of the things I discovered when he was in hospital was that watching "old favourite" movies was comforting, but I didn't have very many. Now I've got a decent collection and it has been very handy in this shutdown period. In Tasmania, we don't have very many TV channels and some evenings have very slim pickings.

Anyway, at first, I had a drawer where I put the DVDs but it filled up quickly. Then I was just setting them on the entertainment unit, but it was filling up quickly so they spread to the dining room table ... and then one day we were browsing in a local tip shop and I found a DVD storage shelf! Problems solved.

Same thing with paperwork. Until I get a file folder to put it in, it travels all over the the place. Once I have a file folder, it stays put.

-- Group things and "do" the groups. If I can go through the house and pick up everything that is rubbish and put it in the bin, that's one "group" and can be done quite quickly ... and the place looks better.

Dishes is another group. These days my husband handles them, but both of us use the same trick ... rinse them and get them into the dishwasher. Then they're off the counter and the kitchen looks better.

Laundry is another one. I end up with clothes in bags (like exercise clothes) and clothes in piles around the dressing room (what I wore at work today, my casual clothes, my exercise clothes, my night attire, etc.) and socks everywhere because my feet get hot so I take them off and drop them wherever I am. But if I can do a sweep of the house, collect up all my clothes, and either get them into the laundry basket or wash machine, the place looks better.

Then when the place looks better, I feel more inclined to do more. :)

Machka in Oz
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,080 Member
    Options
    Sharon I do the I will pick up 5 things game. Sometimes that gets me started to do more if not I at least did 5 things in the space. I do that with dishes often.
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,397 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies! <3

I just ran across this: https://www.smartbmicalculator.com/

Many of us use the BMI as a tool to figure out where a "healthy" weight range is. This one calculates a little differently, adding in age as a factor.

I don't mind carrying a little extra weight as long as I can fit into my favorite pants. :)

Make it a good day!

Lanette
    Chilly (55 degrees) SW WA State where we'll see mid to upper 90's today. Windows open, cooling house. B)
  • bananasandoranges
    bananasandoranges Posts: 2,410 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    @Machka9 I can relate to your sort of approach to celebrating.

@exermom Touching the earth Is kind of like a yoga like movement 5 times in theory, and each one accompanied by thoughts of gratitude: 1) ancestors, including parents 2) teachers, of all sorts 3) people who cultivated the land, country, political situation, agriculture, town, country one's in 4) sending energy to loved ones 5) reconciling with those who have made me or my loved ones suffer. I didn't precisely remember all of this, but the gist of it and had to google it. https://1gkys61108am2vvslv1ayriu-wpengine.netdna-ssl.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/10/The-Five-Earth-Touchings-pdf-2.pdf
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    @cityjaneLondon Heather, glad you are still enjoying Hugo decrypt! I still watch him. faster than the news and he's really up to date with key stuff to a large degree. I saw an interview some time back and apparently he works with a team: 5 of them, probably fellow recent grads or students, working on news research, and social media stuff.
  • TerriRichardson112
    TerriRichardson112 Posts: 18,289 Member
    Options
    @SophieRosieMom
    That’s the BMI calculator that I use. Also my scale reading matches their results as it also uses the Smart BMI calculation. I screenshot my graph when I first entered the green area a couple of years ago.
  • 1948Peachy
    1948Peachy Posts: 1,511 Member
    Options
    LANETTE ~ I like the BMI calculator. It is about what my dr's says.

SHARON ~ Your stained glass window in your door is so bright and pretty.

Carol in GA
  • bananasandoranges
    Options
    EXPANDED WAIST
    I used to wear skirts and dresses and pants but recently more pants and occasionally dresses. I tried to wear a skirt yesterday. My waist is too big to be comfortable. My dresses are not tightly waisted and pants tend to be low cut, so the waist is not the fitting point. But skirts! Another reality check. After going for a stroll a friend and I had a coffee, and then a piece of cake talking (among many other things) about calorie counting apps. She told me about another one very similar to MFP. No big difference from what she says.
    Today longish stroll, (not fast, not really slow), coffee and paper, cleaning and a couple of calls.

I gained about 5 lbs after menopause (that's average weight gain for menopause in France my GYN says) and 5 pounds with confinement (average according to national statistics).

I started tracking again today.
    Finished the megasized zucchini. Actually not bad, cooked like a winter squash, but quicker and easier to cook and lighter.

I had a super busy week with some hard deadlines which required tons of paperwork.
    I did an online training at the same time.
    After that I just zoned out and didn't clean or much during the weekend.
    I hate that. the place was a mess and made me feel bad.

I went back to my 1h a day of cleaning and/or filing and home looks SO much better, and I feel SO much better.
    all rooms mildly tidied (not incredibly spic and span but fine)
    bed made
    veggies gone bad tossed (a head of lettuce and a leek)
    herbs cut and used of frozen (yum)
    trash out
    a few new files made and a little bit of filing done
    kitchen trash can (got mucky at the bottom parts) cleaned

if correctly counted, I have 323 calories left, it's 3pm and I'm not hungry (due to volume of big zuke)
    I'll aim to drink tea and hopefully I'll make it through ok.
    I set MFP at 1000 calories a day but add in activity including walking and cleaning, which brings us to 1290 today.
    That seems reasonable. I think some of you don't add in activity but I like to add it, it really makes a difference, and I think one has to pay more to register activity but not have it added to calories.

I DID like the WW approach to activity. they only added (and maybe still do add) about HALF the calories back in for all activity done. That way every increase in activity was a net reduction in calories.

Ok back into action
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,968 Member
    Options
    :) We harvested the first of the zucchini's yesterday. I'll have them steamed with a veggie based chicken and cheese patty for supper tonight.

Lanette, very comprehensive BMI calculator. Thanks.

<3 Barbie in NW WA where it will be super hot today
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    :)
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,316 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Trucker - So sorry you are struggling. You are not the only one I guess. Living alone is heroic, in my opinion. Of course, it has its advantages, but I know I would crumble very quickly.
    My mantra has been for some time now, DON'T LET THE PERFECT BE THE ENEMY OF THE GOOD. It still helps me enormously. I give myself permission to do things not very well. :) It's the only way I can get to the page every day with my writing. JUST DO IT. it doesn't matter if it's rubbish, just show up. Even picking up one thing, the easiest thing, is a triumph. It doesn't have to be perfect.
    When I was a young teenager I had to take whole days off school just to deal with the chaos in my cupboards and in my head. It was a purging. Now I have the bad habit of not worrying too much about stuff that is out of sight. I don't like it, but I can live with it. Occasionally I have a tidy out of drawers etc, but, generally I can ignore it.
    I do tend to have a place for everything though, so I guess it's organized chaos as I do know where stuff is. I never leave stuff out to accumulate. No random piles. I'm lucky in that DH is only a bit less tidy than me and he is excellent at washing up and cleaning down the kitchen. I probably would not cook so much if I didn't have a 'kitchen porter' to clear up after me! I do hate his randomly coloured pencils though on his side table. The red one offends my eye and he leaves out his eraser and pencil sharpener. :# I did buy him a nice silver sharpener and an expensive blue and turquoise pen. If people are coming round he is good about transferring his pile to a spot beside the sofa where it is hidden. :D
    My main source of guilt at the moment is his study. :o We have been here 20 months and I still have not sorted out my last piles/boxes of books that are littering the floor in there. It bothers him and he occasionally mentions it, but, like you, Sharon, it all seems too much and I don't know where to start. I don't want to throw them away and I don't want to keep them. I have nowhere else to put them.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,374 Member
    Options
    Did a body pump uTube video. The plan for tomorrow is to do some Dressed Up Drills

Debbie
    – those masks look really nice. You did a great job! I got my masks from this lady who made them as a fundraiser for the soup kitchen that I volunteer at

Mcrait – welcome. No, this isn’t a closed group

Masks are required almost everywhere here too. Even if they aren’t required, out of habit I put one on. But I must admit, the second I leave the store, off comes the mask.

SueBDew
    is the only person I know of who has CV

Dflk – oh, those blackberrires look so so good. I especially like that they’re thornless

Barbara and Sharon
    – so sorry about the accidents

Saw a lady at the gym today and I know she usually goes to the Y which is why I was surprised to see her here. She said that the Y still isn’t open, but they do have classes outside. Sounds like they’re about the only gym that isn’t open, not sure why

Here’s hoping is OK. Anyone know what part of TX she’s in?

Lisa – Metamusil never upset my stomach

M – I’m with you, a place for everything. I TRY to throw out something so that I have room for it. Like I gave away my pressure cooker when I got an IP. Just don’t always do that with clothing, tho. I usually do exercise DVD’s. As you can see, I do have one or two exercise DVD’s

As far as cleaning house: I usually decide to do one thing (like wash the floor). Sometimes that causes me to do something more, but I don’t plan on that happening. If it does…wonderful

Bananas
    – interesting (touching the earth)

Off to the pool now (after going to the bathroom)

Michele NC

k0z3o88arosm.jpg

• Faetta
    edited July 2020
    Options

Sharon I can only tell you what works for me. I find as I age I tend to let things go more than I used to. I make a list before bed of what I need to do the next day. I always start in on my projects early after workout, music practice, and breakfast. If I don't start early then chances of achieving my goals for the day grow slim. I never let my place get dirty or cluttered. Yes, I know so many groups for seniors are mostly old men and some of them are hard to be around. Some thought since I am single I should jump at the chance to get involved with them. I found most of them to be jerks. No wonder their wives died before them. Last seniors group I was in had about 4 nice gentlemen and the rest were worthless wankers.
    Faye
    cz4rp2vhsdl4.jpg