WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2020

Options

Replies

• Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Rebecca: Thanks for the definition of "catfished." I didn't hear that one before and your definition was a big help. :heart:
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,295 Member
    Options
    Hi Cara UK :D Whereabouts are you? I live in Brighton and Hove in the South East. We have a few others from the UK on here.

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • LisaInAR
    LisaInAR Posts: 2,020 Member
    Options
    trucker743 wrote: »
    Lisa in AR, yes! There has indeed been a struggle, and it’s still going on! It’s called “life,” I think. By the way - I’ve forgotten - does punctuation go inside or outside quotation marks? Particularly the comma.
    I’m going to start by loading the dishes I have in my dishwasher. That’s all I’m insisting on today. I can’t unload it because must of the stuff to lift up is too heavy. I mainly use paper plates and bowls now. Tomorrow it will be rinse the finished laundry because it’s been sitting several days, then move it to the dryer.

Sharon Near Steaming Seattle (91° forecast today)

Sharon,
    Honestly, on the housework front, the biggest thing I've given myself is along Heather's lines regarding "Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." I gave myself permission to stop feeling that, just because I was doing one cleaning chore in a room, large or small, that I had to do everything, either there or anywhere else.

In other words, I can go in the bathroom and clean the toilet without feeling like I have to clean every surface and make it all shine. I'm there for one thing--to clean the toilet. If I feel like doing something else there, that's fine, too, but I don't let it cascade on me, I just simply walk away. Today, I wiped down the counter in the bathroom. Tomorrow is pretty much a crapshoot.

On the subject of punctuation, I was a newspaper editor three different times, so I tend to stick with AP, and commas and periods always go inside the quotation marks. I get twitchy when they dangle out there beyond the quotation mark, sad and alone, clinging to life. :smiley:

Fell over for about an hour and a half after lunch, didn't know I was that tired, but it did me good. Everything's prepped and ready for Corey's dinner, time to lose myself in a mystery for an hour.

Later y'all,
    Lisa in AR
  • bwcetc
    bwcetc Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Sharon ... you've received good suggestions! My only (OCD) advice is to straighten that picture by the door first! Everything else can wait ... :D

Lisa ... love the housekeeping meme! As for punctuation ... the "new" style they're teaching on the college level puts the question mark outside of the quotation marks. I would proofread my son's papers and he would get marked for incorrect use of quotation marks. I'm with you though.

Thanks all for the comments on the flowers. I'm going to contact the vendor. They weren't what I ordered.

Beth

• Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Home again home again jigidy jog.
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,622 Member
    Options
    Ppppp
  • SophieRosieMom
    SophieRosieMom Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    Sharon- I hadn't given my 2 cents worth, lol. But will now.

I agree with just doing one counter/one drawer/one teensy area at a time. When I really clean up our office, I start with the top of the bookcase which is the catch-all. 5 minutes then I go do something else. Then maybe I'll hit a desk drawer or the little file on top of the bookcase. I focus on what I accomplished, not what else needs to be done.

The main impetus in keeping our place "picked up" is knowing our cleaner Collette comes every 2 weeks. Much like Heather's.

So we clean up clutter on counters, pick up shoes/dog toys/whatever off the floors. Whenn she walks in the front door we scram :)

She's here for 2 hours - sweeps/vacuums/mops/bathrooms/counters/dusts if she has time and she crams a lot in that 2 hours. I know you said you can't afford a cleaner, so hiring someone in for a morning to get things really caught up might not be possible right now.

Other ideas....Our community has an organization called "Love, Inc." I don't see it up in Issaquah. In our area, they have volunteers to help out with situations like yours, it's Christian based but I know they are very generous with their time and help whoever is in need, no church affiliation needed.

And another resource - have you tried your Area Agency on Aging? They might have a directory of organizations that can help you if you explain you have some disability and are still recuperating from several surgeries, so need helping getting caught up.

I know the lift we both get from having a clean house, even if it only lasts a few days. We never go out to eat or spend much on anything else, so have made this a priority in our budget.

Good luck to you. <3

Lanette B)
    SW WA State Where we're up to 96.4 right now. A/C is set on 74. My DH has poor circulation and LOVES hot weather.... :s But the good news is a cool front is coming in tomorrow. This too shall pass.

• Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,506 Member
    Options
    Aaack!. Well too much carbs today! Husband wished a fast food burger, and I asked for a Taco bell taco salad. Well no more dalads, so he bought be a crunchwrap supreme, come and cinnamon twists. It was good, didn't finish my soda. Then later I had a bowl of Golden Graham cereal. Then because I guess I wasn't done, I had two fig bars with a cup of coffee. Like 1512 calories!😞
    💖Rebecca
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,506 Member
    Options
    No prob Katla.💖
    💖Rebecca
  • Faetta
    Options
    103 here and getting hotter. I hate to cook, especially when it is hot so I think I will lay a slice of Daves bread with a slice of Tillamook cheddar on it on aluminum foil in the sun for a few minutes and have a sun grilled cheese sandwich for dinner and put a big slice of vine ripe tomato on it. Cooling the melon for tomorrow. Remembered I needed to go help friend a few houses down water her flowers after donning a fresh bra after the road trip. Now it is sweat-soaked and needs washing. Going braless for the rest of the day. I didn't mind these two bra days when I was younger, but now I get mad at myself for making extra work that could have been avoided. I always thought Three Bra Day would be a good name for an all-girl trio.
    Faye
  • Faetta
    Options
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    Ppppp

That is exactly why I won't eat my watermelon until tomorrow morning. :D
  • Katla49
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Sharon: Punctuation goes inside quotation marks if someone is speaking. Example: “I need to feed the dog,” said Mary. There is another common use of quotation marks as social criticism: “Look at Suzie in the “cute” outfit. Too bad it is too small.” This is often used verbally by mean girls, combined with hand signed quotation marks & eye rolls. I’ll bet others can add ideas. :ohwell: I think it is lovely to have graduated from the company of mean girls. :wink:

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

(Retired 8th grade teacher with a smattering of mean girl students in the past. I had nice girl students, too. Boys were less likely to be verbally mean. )

• Faetta
    Options
    Sharon and Katla The melons should be coming your way soon as they were loading up several trucks headed in all directions. I will let you know tomorrow if they are good this year. Last year they were not very tasty.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,368 Member
    Options
    Lisa – I used to take a fiber suppliant, but don’t now. I try to eat high fiber foods instead

Dlfk – your son is SOO cute

Anne DE – you are doing the right thing by blocking that guy

Heather – I just received a picture from my cousin. I had a picture of my who I thought might be my mother when she was in 5-6th grade (I think they combined grades back then) and she confirmed this for me. I’d like to get a frame for it because I think it’s just so cool to see how school was back then. So I know what you mean about going back in history.

Sharon – I can certainly see why that piece is your favorite stained glass one

Donna – welcome!

Katla – good thoughts being sent to Schooner

Debbie – one kind of tea that I am not crazy about is Sleepytime. Mainly because there isn’t a tag, just the bag which I find awkward. But they do have some good flavors

Cara UK – welcome!

Mahjongg tonight!

Michele NC
  • csofled
    csofled Posts: 3,022 Member
    Options
    926577lsd714rlb8.gif
  • Katla49
    Options
    Schooner has been prescribed an ointment for his lesion. No surgery because, at his age, it would be too risky. I bought the ointment & he’s had his first application. So far it seems helpful.
  • Sara628588
    Sara628588 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    <3
  • spikeyhair
    spikeyhair Posts: 2,078 Member
    Options
    Kate UK ❤️
  • OregonMother
    OregonMother Posts: 1,574 Member
    Options
    Sharon

Cat barf clean up has its own category and qualifies for hazardous duty pay.

I have found that setting a timer for 10-15 minutes and sticking with one category (clothes & shoes or recyclables or trash) helps keep anxiety at bay when I have to deal with stuff. Limiting the time and limiting the focus. That might not work for you; everyone is different.

Karen in Virginia

And music! Whistle while you work isn't just a Disney song. It's fact. This weekend I deep cleaned the main floor of our house and listened to Shakira the whole time. Hours. Music helps.

Flea
    Willamette Valley, Oregon