WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY 2020

Options

Replies

• kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,889 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    SuzieQ [For those who knit.....I saw this picture on FB and would love to have one.......I am not sure I am motivated enough to learn how to knit to make one. But may make great gifts for those of you who do knit.
    SuzieQ, I have plans to make one of those. I have several patterns of those with animals on them but was asked for an alien one. Need yarn first. I have no storage so have to do one project at a time! ;)
    I need you, math teachers, to check my math as I am now questioning it.

Full cup drank 1/2 down - refill 1/2 up - drank 1/2 down = 1 cup

1/2 fill - 1/2 dn - 1/2 fill - 1/2 dn = 2cups

1/2 f - 1/2 dn - 1/2 full then all the way down = 3 1/2 cups

However, sometimes I drink the last one down half and then mix in hot
    chocolate then refill with hot H2O and drink that down all the way. That
    should be 3 cups of coffee and 1 cup of poor girl's mocha.

Faye

Full cup - 1/2 drunk +1/2 added = 1 cup + 1/2-1/2 drank = 1.5 drank+1:2-1/2=2 cups drank+1/2 fill-1/2 drank= 2.5 drank+1/2-1/2=3 cups drank+1/2fill -1cup drank= 4 cups drank I think!

RV rita
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,587 Member
    Options
    llllll
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,737 Member
    Options
    Rita,if i knitted would love one of those...
    Who ever told me about the phosphate tablets from amazon,I ordered them.. will see if they work better than the melatonin..
    Took Homer to the vet and they will call tom tomorrow with bloodwork to see if his kidneys and liver can handle duramax low dose daily then they will order a larger quantity...
    Then lets not talk about triple A with the drivers license.. that didnt go...then went to the bank and then to pick up Granddaughter, leave here in another hour for hairdresser and then home..
  • dlfk202000
    dlfk202000 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    LisaInAR wrote: »
    Kylia,
    It's so good to see you and so glad we are part of your selfcare. I need to do a reset on the sewing room Corey made for me, which immediately became the place to throw things you don't want to look at right now. I walk in there and my head explodes, and I just back out slowly. :wink: Sounds like a good project!

I feel the same way about my sewing room- I just now had to climb up on some boxes to get to the tin of buttons- of course that is what I need for the new style of masks I am working on and it was on the top shelf of the book case all the way in the corner of the room. I have been doing all of my sewing in the living room on a tv tray. One day I will get that room organized again. Now that I am back sewing, maybe I will but, the sewing machine I am using is my new one. My old one is still in there- still works well and is in a cabinet my dad built. The machine was my graduation gift from my parents-so 40 yrs old.
  • dlfk202000
    edited July 2020
    Options
    kevrit wrote: »
    Barbara [Rita the penguin socks, how can you work with yarn when it is so hot? small projects only so my lap is not covered like a blanket! I do this indoors in the evening. Days, I like to see if it’s not too hot to sit outside with my machine.

I think 1000 is too low. Make sure you are getting all your nutrients and meet your macros. A splurge day may kickstart your loss this of you on a plateau. Your body has adjusted to the low calories, hence the plateau. Just my opinion.

RV Rita on day 3 of logging everything and day 2 of 14/10 fast

I will have to look up macros again- I tried to understand it a few months ago but just ended up more confused- didn't help that I was very tired and easily confused.
    On my chart on MFP it is usually pretty close to equal parts F/C/P, I try to keep it that way or higher in protein than the other two.
    How often should I do the splurge day? Once a week? Or do like two days in a row then back to the 1000 cal?
    Really appreciate the suggestions/information.

Debbie
    Napa Valley,CA
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Rita,if i knitted would love one of those...
    Who ever told me about the phosphate tablets from amazon,I ordered them.. will see if they work better than the melatonin..
    Took Homer to the vet and they will call tom tomorrow with bloodwork to see if his kidneys and liver can handle duramax low dose daily then they will order a larger quantity...
    Then lets not talk about triple A with the drivers license.. that didnt go...then went to the bank and then to pick up Granddaughter, leave here in another hour for hairdresser and then home..

I hope the pills work for you. They seem to work well for us. Even my husband uses them occasionally(especially now that he is working 40 hrs a week and graveyards after 4 yrs of being semi retired and only working at most 15 hrs a week- union has lifted the limit on how many he can work for right now so he is working the extra hours while he can).
    They say the pills are good for stress too- he is going to try taking two while at work- wearing the mask is getting to him.
    I like that they work faster than the melatonin and doesn't stay in your system like the melatonin does- hate the groggy feeling.

My usual thing for getting a better nights sleep- warm massaging shower in the dark, 5 or so of the little pills and a dark/quiet room. Don't get the dark/quiet as much as I would like but now that he is trying to get some sleep(but never enough) before going to work at midnight, I do have more quiet/dark, instead of before with lights and tv on in the next room. Even when I get up and close his door, I still hear the tv really loud- he won't turn it down- says he needs it louder so he can hear it over his AC fan)

Debbie
    Napa Valley, CA
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Melon Review

The watermelon is not as good as most years, but better than some.
    I let the sea salt sit on it for several minutes and it did really improve it.
    I give it 3 stars out of 5. Definitely better than last year.

The cantaloupe is to die for! A touch of salt and wow! 5 stars

zw77vomtxrti.jpg

Faye
    Mercury rising quickly
    currently 91@ 10:20 AM

melon looks great- hoping my dad has some ready when we go visit them Thursday.

Debbie
    Napa Valley, CA
  • Faetta
    Faetta Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Seamtress Do any of you ladies have a serger? I am still toying with the idea of getting one, but waiting for my eyesight to improve. I can see good with one eye closed or patched, but not fun for intricate work. I have an old Singer that does most things, but sewing very stretchy nylon/spandex 4 way can be tricky I make a loose straight stitch, then go alongside it with a zigzag and it works out but many tell me I need to get a serger. I regret selling my treadle sewing machine as it was so great for heavier material and fun to operate. I designed and sewed my own denim skirts, vest, and shorts for a few years and sewed special nylon for sails and kites. I love sewing but hate too much repetition. I am searching for nylon/spandex fabric with skull and crossbones pattern to make some fun mask/neck chokers. I need at least 80/20 4 way to make my design.
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,066 Member
    Options
    Annie thanks for sharing your story. I occasionally get requests for becoming friends with men I don't know and have no connection. I never friend them. I did get on the Dali Lama following because I think he has such great messages. Some one hacked his site and proceeded to get me to chat with them. They too tried to fish for money from me. So sad...They got nothing.

I call these types rightfully Trolls. Unfortunately some must fall for it and are will not report it because they do not liked to be fooled. These trolls are professionals and there is nothing to feel foolish about. Would you feel foolish if someone stole money from your purse. It is the same thing. These people are Trolls Crooks take your pick.
  • dlfk202000
    edited July 2020
    Options
    ydailey wrote: »
    Today is Buffalo Soldiers Day!

"Buffalo Soldiers Day on July 28th commemorates the formation of the first regular Army regiments comprising African American soldiers in 1866. Congress established the first peacetime all-black regiments in the regular U.S. Army after the end of the Civil War. The Buffalo Soldiers (one of many African-American regiments raised during the Civil War) were the first instituted. Since they were frontier regiments, Buffalo Soldiers of the 9th and 10th Cavalries protected unsettled lands as pioneers moved westward. During and after the Civil War, Army desertion rates remained high. However, among Buffalo Soldiers, low rates prevailed. They were also noted for their dedication and commitment during the Spanish-American War and other engagements during the late 1800s. ... On September 6, 2005, the oldest living Buffalo Soldier died. Mark Matthews lived to be 111 years old. For his dedicated services, he was laid to rest at Arlington National Cemetery."

Terri - Thank you so much for sharing the Flanders & Swan video. I love them so much! My favorite is the one about the herd of camels.

Katla - We have curbside pickup and home delivery available but like you, I prefer to go into the store and look at what's available. If substitutions need to be made, it's easier for me to make them on the fly depending on what they have. Letting the shopper make those calls tends to complicate meal planning since I never really know what I'll get. I just wear my mask and try to shop during less-busy times so I can give other shoppers a wide berth.

Cheri - It was fun to see the photo of your family's camping trip! My family camped a lot; in fact, I don't remember ever staying at a hotel when I was a kid. We had a little pop-up camper with two twin beds. Mom and Dad slept in one, my sister and I slept in the other, and my brother slept in a cot in the space between the beds. So many good memories! I don't do tents anymore but Philip and I still enjoy taking trips with the travel trailer.

Debbie - I don't know about you, but mask making has reinforced all of my fabric hoarder tendencies. All that random fabric I've been holding onto for years was finally put to use! Now I'll never get rid of any fabric!

Sue - The baby barn swallows are so cute. Nothing but mouth! We recently had a pair of Carolina Wrens nesting on our front porch. They had a clutch of four eggs, three of which hatched. It was kind of a pain to avoid disturbing them but we enjoyed watching them so much it was worth it. Fortunately the period from nesting to fledging is pretty short so we didn't have to tiptoe around for too long.

Karen - Wishing your friend Shona a quick recovery. She sounds like one tough woman. My gallstones were painful too, because they were small enough to escape into the bile duct. The pain was breathtaking so I really sympathize with her situation right now. Overall I'm in favor of keeping my original parts but I was SO happy to have that thing out of there!

Sara - Ooh, I have greyhound envy. I was supposed to fill in for another foster mom a couple of weeks ago but her trip was cancelled and I didn't get my needlenose fix. I loved your description, "sofa based life form." That describes most of the greyhounds we've hosted. He's a handsome boy.

I see several new arrivals since I posted last. Welcome to all of you! I'm looking forward to getting to know you.

My goodness, I was SO far behind! The weekend at the river was nice but it has me running to catch up now. We invited a friend who is single, unemployed, very conscientious about social distancing, and slowly going crazy living alone during the pandemic. He kept us plied with so much delicious Israeli food I was afraid to step on the scale this morning.

We finally got some rain here over the weekend, thanks to Hurricane Hanna. Everything was starting to look parched. Now it's muggy and the mosquitoes are outrageous but at least all the trees got a good drink.

I have a little victory to report. Several years ago we bought the gutted shell of a fiberglass travel trailer with the intention of renovating it. Then Philip lost his job and we had to move, and his new career doesn't pay well so money has been tight on and off since then, and eventually we used money from my dad's estate to buy a new, roadworthy camper. What with one thing and another, we never got around to doing much with the old "project" camper and yesterday we finally solid it to a guy who stopped by the house to inquire about it. I'm sad that all of our big plans didn't come to fruition, but happy to have the little Casita out of our yard and into the hands of someone who might make it pretty again.

Wishing happy days to all this week.

-Yvonne in TX

Yvonne-
    I have so much fabric that is buried in my sewing room that I can't even get to. What I started using was a huge pile that was given to me on Freecycle- I just went and bought more this past week- first fabric I had to buy after making well over 150 masks. What I bought was sheets at the thrift store- picked up super soft ones. $3 for a full set of queen size sheets, some were $2 for like one king size sheet. $4 was the most I spent on any of the sets. $45 total for a huge pile. I will make more masks but thinking of making a few things for myself, just not sure what. The fabric is so comfortable feeling. I just need to dig out some patterns or pick up new ones at the thrift store. Going back tonight to try and find more Disney/character fabric. The Frozen ones turned out so cute. Need to make a few more of them tonight. My mom wants a few to give to her friend for the ladies grand daughter. This new pattern I designed is so easy, so much less sewing.

I love greyhounds too- my best friend and her family had one. That was our school mascot and her dad was the principle - Big Red was such a cool couch potato ;)

Debbie
    Napa Valley, CA
  • dlfk202000
    Options
    Seamtress Do any of you ladies have a serger? I am still toying with the idea of getting one, but waiting for my eyesight to improve. I can see good with one eye closed or patched, but not fun for intricate work. I have an old Singer that does most things, but sewing very stretchy nylon/spandex 4 way can be tricky I make a loose straight stitch, then go alongside it with a zigzag and it works out but many tell me I need to get a serger. I regret selling my treadle sewing machine as it was so great for heavier material and fun to operate. I designed and sewed my own denim skirts, vest, and shorts for a few years and sewed special nylon for sails and kites. I love sewing but hate too much repetition. I am searching for nylon/spandex fabric with skull and crossbones pattern to make some fun mask/neck chokers. I need at least 80/20 4 way to make my design.

I do not have a serger- my mom does(or at least did) and I had thought about getting one but besides baby burp cloths, haven't had anything that really needed them. Mom made the burp cloths for me(my son needed a LOT of them- that baby spit up on everything any time you moved him)
  • Faetta
    Options
    Margaret Well said! Professionals are right and many of them women posing as men. ANNIE - Never feel foolish just empowered that you caught their scam before it was too late. Guys tell me they get requests all the time from younger sexy women and many get conned out of a lot of cash. It turns out when some of these young ladies are caught, they are really men that use women's photos illegally. One I remember reading about was a disgusting male kid living at his crazy mothers and making a lot of money scamming others. He looked a nut job and his mother like a 200-year-old witch.
  • Whidislander
    Whidislander Posts: 3,486 Member
    Options
    Barbara-we started the SCA in Japan so that we could still play occasionally in our Renn garb.👍. We were in that life from 1988 to 1999. Once we found camping at the nudist resort, the thought of relaxing in my chamise, 2 long skirts, corset, and cap was just too much. The boys had more to do, tennis, swimming, hiking, riding their bikes, etc. But I do miss sitting by our fire pit, incense burning, with a mug of coffee and a splash of Kallua.
    Our family definitely had various hobbies. We can look back at the Renaissance time, the GI Joe time, the bottle rockets time, the Star Wars Galaxies gaming time and other moments. 💖
    The fact that our eldest has kept all his toys, a physical reminder of his childhood, is endearing. Just will always be a kid at heart.
    Right now I am steaming some cabbage, a piece of kielbasa sausage, a handful of baby potatoes, and a piece of red onion. I put all my I've cubes of chicken broth, and added more water. Everything is nestled in a expanding steamer thingy. I will toss with some wild rice too. Comfort food x 10.💖
    💖Rebecca
    Hugs y'all!
  • mistyangela81
    mistyangela81 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi evy1...I just found your site.....need encouraging motivation....doing stuff underfoot of family stalls my drive...& didn't have a lot b4 but had started yoga again, & was doing friend walks, had apt to join local gym....and here we are....57 yrs old, need to drop some weight. have lost 4 lbs since starting...but it is a long haul
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,269 Member
    edited July 2020
    Options
    When I met my DH it was way before covid. I refused to join in any email etc communication before I met them in person. I went through 100s for just coffee and had 3 relationships before I met DH. I usually interviewed them by phone , and that ruled out many. Flattery is a red flag, :o:# As is anyone who doesn't have good relationships with his near family. I ruled out so many, even those I was sexually attracted to. I blocked a couple. Don't trust your hormones! What you are looking for is a trustworthy person who shares his past life with you. DH and I took off in person very quickly, but he soon introduced me to his kids and we were married 18 months later. :D
    It is possible, but you have to use your head as well as your heart.

Beth - I thought the exact same thing about the picture. ;)

I did the diagnostic procedure on DH this afternoon and the poor man went crazy. Definitely crystals. So I carried on with the Epley Manoeuvre, even though he was shrieking in terror and begging for mercy! Now he is sitting with a towel around his neck to hold his head up. :o
    Last time it was cured in one session. Let's hope for the same result. Anyone who doesn't know what I am talking about, look up BBPV. He said it was like being on a whirlygig at 100 miles per hour.

The sanding guy didn't phone. I'm getting frustrated with him/them. Maybe time to find someone else for the job. I H ATE inefficiency. Do what you say, when you say it, or scram!

Love Heather UK xxxxxxxx
  • Faetta
    Options
    Heather do you know what side the crystals are lodged? I might suggest and heat and cold therapy that works for me for dislodging the crystals but it is important what side they are lodged.

Faye